• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
all im hoping for from the dlc at this point is a character who's playstyle clicks with me, so far none of the new characters are my type. So thats my hope, otherwise is another how ever long playing ike with a bit of cloud and dorf

Untouch

Smash Master
The fact that they completely got rid of Stadium (aside from Multi-Man Smash which is now called Mob Smash for some reason) upsets me a bit. I loved testing my skills with each character in Target Smash/Test and trying to get better times. Seeing how far you could launch Sandbag in Home-Run Contest was hilarious and pretty satisfying. Instead, Sandbag is now just some item you attack for more items that you’ll encounter sometimes in matches with items on, not the thing everyone gets to beat up on for the fun of it in other modes. If they have similar modes like these in Classic along with the regular matches, I’d be surprised that you can’t just access them freely outside of Classic. Then again, all of this might just be nostalgia talking.
This is one of the few things I'm upset about.
It just seems odd they'd remove Home Run Contest, doesn't feel like something that would have been too hard to port over.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I been away a bit, missed a lot.. Has katalina been confirmed or is this like the Steve debates where in the end Steve didn't get into the base roster anyway so it didn't really matter.

NineS

Smash Lord
TBH I wonder how the Japanese fanbase reacts to all these newcomers and the likes. I wonder if they have leaks just like we do...
Japanese leaks are picked up pretty fast by the western fanbase, and as of right now no major leaks have occurred in Japan. All of them happen over here, and the Japanese discuss our leaks.

I have no clue how they react to all the newcomers though. You'd need to ask a translator to go over to Japanese fan sites and translate reactions over there.
Tried to find a reaction video. Found two.

No translations, but they're fun to watch
https://youtu.be/8EqSfchA-ew?t=2078
https://youtu.be/IDZDxuTY-u8?t=241
Their reactions are pretty similar to ours in a lot of ways. Especially when it came to the most important character revealed... One of them was even shouting for Geno.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I just realized a mistake in the World of Light concept/ trailer..
Well I didn't see my beloved Mega Man get beamed (I know he was among red eyes), but even if he was.. he shouldn't be dead.
Mega Man has no soul (sorry Rock)..
oh and R.O.B. too
Gotchya Sakurai :D

Untouch

Smash Master
I been away a bit, missed a lot.. Has katalina been confirmed or is this like the Steve debates where in the end Steve didn't get into the base roster anyway so it didn't really matter.
Nothing has changed regarding these characters.
Like, Hitagi hasn't even said anything about them for like 2 months anyways.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I went looking through the GameXplain menu tour to see what modes got cut and it's a lot:
  • Home Run Contest
  • Target Blast
  • Trophy Rush
  • Master/Crazy Orders
  • Stage Builder
  • All-Star Mode (sort of?)
  • Some Multi-Man Smash modes (10 man, 3 minute, 15 minute, Rival and Endless)
  • Smash Tour/Smash Run
  • Masterpieces (obvs)
And these modes haven't been seen yet
  • Coin Battles
  • Conquest Online
  • Online Tournaments

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Were people upset about Marth? I just didn't know who he was.
Fire Emblem was at least a Nintendo franchise.
I was just confused about who the guys with the cheesy music track were (no offense to any FE fans).

Well I didn't see my beloved Mega Man get beamed (I know he was among red eyes), but even if he was.. he shouldn't be dead.
oh and R.O.B. too
Let's not be mean, they just want to be real boys.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
oh and R.O.B. too
If R.O.B. didn't have a soul why did he redeem himself in the Brawl story?

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Rash coming with Minecraft music would be the weirdest thing in the world, but I could live with that.
Oh god, I just realized something, what if his stage was the Turbo Tunnel? :eek:
Man, the possibilities are endless. But hey, shouldn't that be his final smash? like C.Falcon. Oh wait, what if they raced? XD

NineS

Smash Lord
oh and R.O.B. too
robots having no soul

you know i know a guy who'd really make you question that kind of ideology

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
I know nothing about Granblue, really.

I just started to look it up about 10 minutes ago, and I saw one of the characters in the game is voiced by Hiroaki Hirata (Sanji from One Piece).

Welp, time to start advocating for whoever this guy is. Rackam, according to the open tab I have open on my browser.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Not a fanog sora. If all dlc is 3rd party, and sora is among them, i may pass on it.

There needs to be 1 character in the lot to make me really want to buy it.

Sora, katalina and steve are not them.

Bandanna dee and goemon would.

NapoleonDos

Smash Cadet
Imagine being so entitled that you believe one character's inclusion means that your character didn't get in.

There is no such thing as deservedness, and characters are going to get in Smash Bros. regardless of fanmade rules and wishes. Katalina getting into Smash means that Katalina got into Smash and nothing more; it doesn't mean that she replaced anyone or took another character's slot.

It seriously feels like we've regressed as a community back to the Sm4sh days. I thought we'd moved beyond stupid arguments about characters being "deserving," believing that characters are locks because you like them, and that if one character gets in it fills an arbitrary slot that "muh *insert popular character here*" could've taken.

But silly me for believing we could be better.
I mean. . . We legitimately have slots now. Is this a valid statement, Pony?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think it's fine to be disappointed in a character inclusion AND to be disappointed that a character you want isn't in.
And I especially think it's fine that you should be able to discuss said disappointments in a fan-forum for topics like this.
Happiness isn't mandatory.

I just find that it's a bit of a logical leap to correlate an inclusion with a rejection. If a character had been cut, there's no guarantee your most wanted character would get in.

TL;DR: Because X happened, Y didn't happen. Incorrect.
I wish they did Y instead of X. Valid opinion.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Nothing has changed regarding these characters.
Like, Hitagi hasn't even said anything about them for like 2 months anyways.
Hitagi was the one who said steve then backpedaled right? I mean im not saying he's gonna end up wrong, Vergeben is more consistently right and seems to trust him but he may be a bit hasty with his leak triggerfinger if you ask me.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I still love how we talk about "insiders" as if they're this hive mind who have the exact same personalities and are all fully acountable for eachother's actions.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
I went looking through the GameXplain menu tour to see what modes got cut and it's a lot:
  • Home Run Contest
  • Target Blast
  • Trophy Rush
  • Master/Crazy Orders
  • Stage Builder
  • Smash Tour/Smash Run
  • Masterpieces (obvs)
  • Coin Battles
  • Conquest Online
  • Online Tournaments
This is why I think there should be content updates, because this much modes being cut is inexcusable. This is a sequel to smash 4, which had all these modes and more. You'd think smash ultimate would have all these modes and more, but it doesn't.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
  • Home Run Contest
  • Target Blast
  • Trophy Rush
  • Master/Crazy Orders
  • Stage Builder
  • Smash Tour/Smash Run
  • Masterpieces (obvs)
  • Coin Battles
  • Conquest Online
  • Online Tournaments
A lot of these aren't really big deals imo, but HRC being gone really hurts, it and Break the Targets have always been the two best side modes by some margin imo, I was hoping Break the Targets would return but instead we have neither now. Also a little bit disappointed with the lack of additional modes in Online, would at least have liked Squad Strike.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I still love how we talk about "insiders" as if they're this hive mind who have the exact same personalities and are all fully acountable for eachother's actions.
But Vergeben is a literal hivemind of all of us, we are all Vergeben, and Vergeben is us

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Not a fanog sora. If all dlc is 3rd party, and sora is among them, i may pass on it.

There needs to be 1 character in the lot to make me really want to buy it.

Sora, katalina and steve are not them.

Bandanna dee and goemon would.
You really should give kingdom hearts a shot if you can, in spite of the story being canturbury tales levels of complex, the gameplay is really amazing. ESPECIALLY in 2.

osby

Smash Obsessed
This is why I think there should be content updates, because this much modes being cut is inexcusable. This is a sequel to smash 4, which had all these modes and more. You'd think smash ultimate would have all these modes and more, but it doesn't.
I think only Smash game that included all the previous modes was Melee.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
  • Home Run Contest
  • Target Blast
  • Trophy Rush
  • Master/Crazy Orders
  • Stage Builder
  • Smash Tour/Smash Run
  • Masterpieces (obvs)
  • Coin Battles
  • Conquest Online
  • Online Tournaments
Wait how the heck did Home Run Contest get cut? How the heck did Target Blast get cut! That was a staple since Smash 64! Do they really expect us to play through spirits alot? I'd think it make more sense to bring back a bunch of game modes so that the coin system seems a lot better.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Heh, it seems like nobody can afford to repeatedly regrab the ledge without landing (on the stage) top much, or they get reduced invincibility, and eventually can't grab the ledge anymore.

We'll have to see how this plays later, but perhaps ledge-trapping might be even more insane.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Wait how the heck did Home Run Contest get cut? How the heck did Target Blast get cut! That was a staple since Smash 64! Do they really expect us to play through spirits alot? I'd think it make more sense to bring back a bunch of game modes so that the coin system seems a lot better.
They cut Home Run contest? Oh CMON! First Break the Targets now this!

Untouch

Smash Master
Hitagi was the one who said steve then backpedaled right? I mean im not saying he's gonna end up wrong, Vergeben is more consistently right and seems to trust him but he may be a bit hasty with his leak triggerfinger if you ask me.
He's backpedaled on both, even harder on Katalina.
First he said she was 100% in, then he said she was 100% in as DLC, now he's saying (2 months ago) that she may not be in and they're still undergoing talks for her.
That's why I don't really believe that she's in. I don't think negotiations would still be going on at this point.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I mean. . . We legitimately have slots now. Is this a valid statement, Pony?
The thing is, the slots have already been decided, so there's no point in complaining about it as if your character had a chance until the other character was in. Idon puts it better than I did:
If a character had been cut, there's no guarantee your most wanted character would get in.
He's backpedaled on both, even harder on Katalina.
First he said she was 100% in, then he said she was 100% in as DLC, now he's saying (2 months ago) that she may not be in and they're still undergoing talks for her.
That's why I don't really believe that she's in. I don't think negotiations would still be going on at this point.
Katalina could literally be a last second inclusion as DLC. She could very well be the headliner for Season 2, similar to how Sora will likely be the headliner of Season 1, or she could be the last character of Season 1.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
A lot of these aren't really big deals imo, but HRC being gone really hurts, it and Break the Targets have always been the two best side modes by some margin imo, I was hoping Break the Targets would return but instead we have neither now. Also a little bit disappointed with the lack of additional modes in Online, would at least have liked Squad Strike.
Yeah I'm not upset that any of these modes are gone, as imo the Target mode has been gutted since Brawl and I never bothered with HRC.

Lack of online modes are a bummer but at least what we have now is a step in the right direction.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
You really should give kingdom hearts a shot if you can, in spite of the story being canturbury tales levels of complex, the gameplay is really amazing. ESPECIALLY in 2.
I liked kindom hearts 1. It was great. But the series declined for me for every new entry. I hated how the worlds were handled in kh2. And the side stories did nothing to help my interest. By the end, i was burned out on the series.

Theme songs are great and if simple and clean, and passion get in because of sora, i may rethink my disdain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom