• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Sakurai explicitly stated that aside from Piranha Plant the DLC choices haven't been finalized yet. Just figure that'd be useful info for some of you already arguing senselessly.
really? cause when he was talking about the rex costume he said they had picked the roster in full already. Otherwise why would they show the rex costume during the dlc portion and say that he wasnt in cause he came out after they picked all the characters

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There will be a lot of upset people if Sakurai won't put 28 characters with largest support groups in Smash.

That's why they were almost going to cut them from international releases. Plus, Smash is much more globally focused now, compared to Melee.
On the flipside, two of the biggest ones are happy now, so that's one definite victory. :ultridley::ultkrool:

No pun intended.

Well thanks again.
Where do you find these?
Newcomer Stock Icon thread, of course:

https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-stock-icons.455706/

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
By the way, anybody know why Etika is screaming a lot, smashing stuff, etc.? (I pray to god this doesn’t sound rude) But does he have a mental disorder? I’m just curious. Because it seems it’s that, he’s just way to hyped, or he fakes it.

D

Deleted member

tbh the way I see it two of my most wanted characters are likely either way for DLC:
If the dlc characters were finalized way back in 2015 (most likely): Elma has a solid chance
If the dlc characters weren't finalized and they haven't begun work on them yet: Rex/Pyra is a lock
And if there's ever a second wave of DLC that ISN'T preplanned, or when Smash 6 comes out, Rex/Pyra are at the top of the list for characters Sakurai wants. Either way, I just have to be patient :)

osby

Smash Obsessed
i think he said something to the effect of "who cares about black people when daisy is a peach clone!111111"
How could they make a character whose purpose of existence is being a second Peach, a Peach clone? Blasphemy!

TheoreticalMyth

Smash Cadet
Although I'm still not thrilled about the idea of her joining the roster, but I have to say, that game looks good. Splendid voice actors selection too. In the last few seconds, didn't any of you guys recognize that voice? Anime fans.. hellooo :) (6:14 male, if you're asking)
Even though I'm not a fan of a mobile game joining the battle (it opens too many possibilities in my eyes), the game looks stunning. Port that to the switch or something and I would honestly be fine with her joining the game.

D

Deleted member

By the way, anybody know why Etika is screaming a lot, smashing stuff, etc.? (I pray to god this doesn’t sound rude) But does he have a mental disorder? I’m just curious. Because it seems it’s that, he’s just way to hyped, or he fakes it.
He fakes/overblows his reactions to get more views.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Newcomer Ratings:

:ultridley:
:ultkrool:
:ultdarksamus:
:ultsimon:
:ultchrom:
:ultisabelle:
:ultken:
:ultrichter:
:ultinkling:
:ultincineroar:
:ultdaisy:

I don't actually dislike any of the additions, even Daisy at the bottom I think is a logical echo, her placement has more to do with me not digging Peach's moveset. There's a bit of a line between Simon and Chrom where the newcomers go from amazing to just being good, Piranha Plant would plug that gap, but this is just for the base game.

I still think Brawl's newcomer roster is the best, but this is a lot better than Smash 4's imo, and overall they did very well with the limited newcomers they could add. Whether it's Melee's equal or not depends a bit on how much I enjoy a lot of the characters, but I'm optimistic as they've kept things relatively simple, which I prefer.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
A ****ton of guys online exploded over every single last reveal, it's the situation of the boy who cried wolf now.
Right, but he implied PP's inclusion didn't cause people to be upset, which I don't think is patently true. A Granblue character would most certainly ruffle some feathers, fan of the game or not, that'd be pretty obvious.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
There's no pleasing the Smash crowd. We have had just under 2 hours of content for this game, announced eight months ago.
I wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow I start reading "we are in an information drought."
Probably. And then once the game comes out, people are gonna play it once and say "this game is garbage, blah blah blah"

LetterO

Smash Lord
I just think there will be a lot of upset people seeing that a character from a mobile game getting in over some fan favorites. Just my opinion anyways :/
Imagine clamoring for a character like Geno since Melee, and having hope in Ultimate with other fan favorites like K. Rool and Ridley getting in, then having your character reduced to a png while a character from a mobile game gets into playable status.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Even though I'm not a fan of a mobile game joining the battle (it opens too many possibilities in my eyes), the game looks stunning. Port that to the switch or something and I would honestly be fine with her joining the game.
What if they port it after she joins?

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
Imagine clamoring for a character like Geno since Melee, and having hope in Ultimate with other fan favorites like K. Rool and Ridley getting in, then having your character reduced to a png while a character from a mobile game gets into playable status.
Welp, that made me feel really sad just thinking about it ;-;

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So who here actually put a lot of time into Home Run Contest? Maybe it's just me, but its something I'd spend a few minutes on, get bored of it, then forget about until challenge panels made me come back to it.

Like it can be fun and all but World of Light as well as new classic mode is looking waaay better then what we had on Wii U. If HRC was what we had to sacrifice for that then I'm more then okay with that. Losing that mode also cuts down on menu clutter.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Reduced? Geno is lucky to make an appearance in Smash at all, 2D or not, considering how long he's been in limbo.

Probably. And then once the game comes out, people are gonna play it once and say "this game is garbage, blah blah blah"
They can call the game whatever they like once they played it, I just don't get people do that when the game's not even out.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
"Certain character" is a lock
Guys FFS, how is this not the most dangerous attitude to hold when it comes to speculation. I can't even ****ing count how many times I saw Isaac/Bandana Dee/Ashley/Rex/Elma is a lock during this round and then everybody got ****ing salty when we got the plant

No one is a lock

You can't be certain about anything really unless it's been literally leaked to hell and back, that's the only reason I felt confident about Ken

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
At the same time though, that would apply to a lot of franchises that have lasted a long time.
If your most pushed character didn't get in, then I would think ANY character inclusion would be something you resented.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Right, but he implied PP's inclusion didn't cause people to be upset, which I don't think is patently true. A Granblue character would most certainly ruffle some feathers, fan of the game or not, that'd be pretty obvious.
People can defend an iconic Mario character. A Japan-only, anime-styled, sword-fighting, gacha rep? Yikes.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
I expressed my point earlier. The reason I'm against it not because it's from mobile but because she's similar to FE reps., no matter how I sugar.. err put icing on it. That doesn't take away from the fact that this game looks as you said, stunning.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, since we haven't had a true foreigner to Nintendo consoles, and Master Chief is certainly too expensive to get, mobile games seem like a logical place to pick a candidate from, in that regard.

Also, one thing I'm confused about; does Katalina use both water and ice powers, or am I reading her list of abilities wrong?

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Reduced? Geno is lucky to make an appearance in Smash at all, 2D or not, considering how long he's been in limbo.

They can call the game whatever they like once they played it, I just don't get people do that when the game's not even out.
That is a good point. Maybe their expectations are just too high

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
It's alright. Start at DQ11 if you want. As Square puts it, it's afresh start for the modern and veteran gamers alike (or something like that). They're aiming to globalize the franch further and widen its audience. Its backed hard (including Akira). So it is a place to start if you ever considered.
And who doesn't love Dragon Ball :).. and yeah, many DQ heroes are just called Hero (Yuusha in japanese). So any Smash pick can be named Hero (ain't that unique?).

Ok, so let's try answering this, will Sakurai really disappoint his Geno fans over Sora (or a better deal)? I don't know, he trolls a lot but I just don't see him doing that, it's not a smart thing to do. Well, unless he's forced. But he's a top caller now, so if ever, that's going to be really hard to do (I mean forcing him to). That's how i look at it.

Yeah and that's another thing going against Sora. And again, I really don't see any gains from Sora (or Lara). Hero, probably.

Btw, you heard of Katalina?

You got me excited to try Dragon Quest 11 now and I see no wonder I couldn't find their names. I could see it happening and I would accept it, if a Dragon Quest hero is the new rep.

I think Sakurai will not put Geno in, I think Sakurai is smarter than that. He does put nostalgic characters, but when it comes to 3rd parties. They are nostalgic, but they are still relative and represent the company they come from. Geno would just be another Mario character. Honestly the fact that he does not represent Square and is not still relative is what hurts him. I think Square will try to persuade Sakurai to add one of their more well known characters and ones that represent the company.

And yes I have heard of her the one from Grandblue? Shes rumored to be in correct?

LetterO

Smash Lord
At the same time though, that would apply to a lot of franchises that have lasted a long time.
If your most pushed character didn't get in, then I would think ANY character inclusion would be something you resented.
Not really. I really want a Rhythm Heaven character, but I'm not mad at any inclusions because they deserve their spots too. However, a character from an obscure mobile game getting in would really make me resent that inclusion.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Imagine being so entitled that you believe one character's inclusion means that your character didn't get in.

There is no such thing as deservedness, and characters are going to get in Smash Bros. regardless of fanmade rules and wishes. Katalina getting into Smash means that Katalina got into Smash and nothing more; it doesn't mean that she replaced anyone or took another character's slot.

It seriously feels like we've regressed as a community back to the Sm4sh days. I thought we'd moved beyond stupid arguments about characters being "deserving," believing that characters are locks because you like them, and that if one character gets in it fills an arbitrary slot that "muh *insert popular character here*" could've taken.

But silly me for believing we could be better.

Last edited:

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Why is the news we got by all the nintendo live livestreams today is better than the news from Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom