• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Sakurai explicitly stated that aside from Piranha Plant the DLC choices haven't been finalized yet. Just figure that'd be useful info for some of you already arguing senselessly.
Wait...he did? I'm pretty sure he said they finalized DLC choices a while ago.
Or maybe this is just more evidence of the Smash Ballot 2: Electric King Boogaloo

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Sakurai explicitly stated that aside from Piranha Plant the DLC choices haven't been finalized yet. Just figure that'd be useful info for some of you already arguing senselessly.
During the DLC segment, as a purchase bonus they showed off the Rex costume. He went on to explain they, and I quote: "We decided which fighters to include when we started planning". Also, he said they haven't finished any of the characters, or locked down any release dates, but never clarifies that the choices haven't been decided.

EDIT: Essentially it is very likely the character choices were in fact decided very early on, and it's apparently why characters like Rex couldn't be DLC because their games were announced after planning, it's why he put him in as a mii

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I just think there will be a lot of upset people seeing that a character from a mobile game getting in over some fan favorites. Just my opinion anyways :/
Depending on what happens, though, people might potentially view it as a Platinum rep getting in, not a mobile rep.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If we rank newcomers...then...

Unique: :ultinkling:(Woomy),:ultridley:/:ultkrool:/:ultpiranha:(no point in separating them),:ultisabelle:(so ****ing cute),:ultsimon:(Captain N and a whip...that is all),:ultincineroar:(wrestling and that’s it)
Echoes: :ultdaisy:(seeing more of her in action as the past 2 days have gone by...Imma ****ing love this character),:ultdarksamus:(might be better than the actual Samus idk):ultken:(Shadow >):ultchrom:(I wanted Celica/Alm/Lyn/Lyn/Lyn/Lyn/****ing Lyn):ultrichter:(who the **** are you?)

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Unique: :ultinkling:(Woomy),:ultridley:/:ultkrool:/:ultpiranha:(no point in separating them),:ultisabelle:(so ****ing cute),:ultsimon:(Captain N and a whip...that is all),:ultincineroar:(wrestling and that’s it)
Echoes: :ultdaisy:(seeing more of her in action as the past 2 days have gone by...Imma ****ing love this character),:ultdarksamus:(might be better than the actual Samus idk):ultken:(Shadow >):ultchrom:(I wanted Celica/Alm/Lyn/Lyn/Lyn/Lyn/****ing Lyn):ultrichter:(who the **** are you?)
Speaking about Captain N...They ruined Simon to meme levels of bad.

NapoleonDos

Smash Cadet
Honestly, considering all of the Shantae hype, I should probably play a Shantae game sometime soon...Which ones the best to start off with?
I've been playing pirates curse, which is the cheapest on the eShop. It's a lot of fun to play such a great Gameboyesque game, but I was upset this is the one game in which she does not get animal powers.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Depending on what happens, though, people might potentially view it as a Platinum rep getting in, not a mobile rep.
Platinum didn't make the character, so it's still a mobile rep.

I just think there will be a lot of upset people seeing that a character from a mobile game getting in over some fan favorites. Just my opinion anyways :/
One word as the devil's advocate: :ultpiranha:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

I'm a simple person: I see Daisy as your top echo, I like.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Huh. Well, if you wanna go cheap, Risky's Revenge isn't too expensive, from what I remember.

Or, **** it, I wouldn't recommend starting with it at all, but the first game's only 5 dollars or so on the 3DS Virtual Console. :p
That I can afford. Saving up for Smash Ultimate so I don’t plan on spending too much money.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Doesn't Sakurai not like putting characters who are only ever known in one region anyways? Lucas wouldn't have been in had Sakurai known Mother 3 was only coming to Japan.
Except that's exactly what he did with Marth and Roy in Melee. Fire Emblem had zero presence in America until after Melee

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
During the DLC segment, as a purchase bonus they showed off the Rex costume. He went on to explain they, and I quote: "We decided which fighters to include when we started planning". Also, he said they haven't finished any of the character, or locked down any release dates, but never clarifies that the choices haven't been decided.
I interpreted that statement as referring to the base roster only. As in, the base roster was locked in during the planning phase, and with XB2 having not come out yet, he didn't make the cut.

Seems that statement could go either way, then. I don't think they would have locked in DLC back in late 2015 (not all 5 slots anyway).

I'll also have to go rewatch that segment -- I thought it said that they had yet to start on the DLC fighters, not that they hadn't finished.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Question: Can World of Light be played Co-Op? One of the best parts of Brawl was playing through Subspace with your friends on a couch. That experience means a lot to me, and while I can accept WoL not being SSE 2.0 I hope I can experience it with other people.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Except that's exactly what he did with Marth and Roy in Melee. Fire Emblem had zero presence in America until after Melee
Yeah, but that was almost twenty years ago now.
...Melee is going to be twenty years old in 2021.
Melee is going to be twenty years old in 2021.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Question: Can World of Light be played Co-Op? One of the best parts of Brawl was playing through Subspace with your friends on a couch. That experience means a lot to me, and while I can accept WoL not being SSE 2.0 I hope I can experience it with other people.
This is the one question I need answering right now!

NapoleonDos

Smash Cadet
I think Piranha Plant is my actual favorite newcomer. He is the essence of Mario. I have not felt this way with the exception of Pokemon Trainer and Robin.

I predicted Duck Hunt. Miis. Even the Wii Fit Trainer. I did not predict Piranha, whom will still be called Petey in my mind.

I honestly am beyond hype. I didn't even hear the World of Light song when it first played...though I'm already musically deconstructing why that song is so potent

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
They should make it so that there's a small chance Captain N Alucard spawns instead of the real Alucard.

Vampires rule!
I wonder why Nintendo won't touch the TV screen again...

Don't take this seriously.

osby

Smash Obsessed
There will be a lot of upset people if Sakurai won't put 28 characters with largest support groups in Smash.

That's why they were almost going to cut them from international releases. Plus, Smash is much more globally focused now, compared to Melee.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Times change, Smash is much more globally recognized now. They actually considered cutting Marth and Roy from the Western releases of Melee anyway but they kept them in because Sakurai had already worked on them and "they seemed fun".

NapoleonDos

Smash Cadet
We can play Pokemon co-op.
We get two controllers.
Honestly I think it's a given.

...but then again I thought trophies were an unfortunate given, as well. What a relief!

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I watched Blocked Content's reaction to the direct yesterday, and he was saying that we are in the 'darkest times' during the direct. Like, seriously? This is probably gonna be the best smash game so far, way better than what smash 4 ever dreamed of being, and he says we're in the darkest times? Look at all the amazing stuff we have in the game! This is way better than Brawl or Smash 4. Even better than melee and 64. There's no way we're in the darkest times with everything this game has done right

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Considering you only start off with Kirby, it feels single-player only.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I interpreted that statement as referring to the base roster only. As in, the base roster was locked in during the planning phase, and with XB2 having not come out yet, he didn't make the cut.

Seems that statement could go either way, then. I don't think they would have locked in DLC back in late 2015 (not all 5 slots anyway).

I'll also have to go rewatch that segment -- I thought it said that they had yet to start on the DLC fighters, not that they hadn't finished.
Thing is, if the Rex situation was just due to base roster why not hold off on making a mii costume and actually make him DLC if he seems so worth it that they actually took a moment of the direct to specifically sate "we didn't add him cause too new"

and why explain it during the DLC segment anyways, he wasn't the only mii costume

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Although I'm still not thrilled about the idea of her joining the roster, but I have to say, that game looks good. Splendid voice actors selection too. In the last few seconds, didn't any of you guys recognize that voice? Anime fans.. hellooo :) (6:14 male, if you're asking)

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
There will be a lot of upset people if Sakurai won't put 28 characters with largest support groups in Smash.
It's a problem that will probably never be solved quickly, it seems. Everybody wants to see someone get in, but there will be the group of people who think that the game is ruined if we don't get a specific character for some reason. It's just a "special" type of complaint that never fails to show up every year, but I at least understand it.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I watched Blocked Content's reaction to the direct yesterday, and he was saying that we are in the 'darkest times' during the direct. Like, seriously? This is probably gonna be the best smash game so far, way better than what smash 4 ever dreamed of being, and he says we're in the darkest times? Look at all the amazing stuff we have in the game! This is way better than Brawl or Smash 4. Even better than melee and 64. There's no way we're in the darkest times with everything this game has done right
I mean like, if Rottytops gets representation, sure, but otherwise...

NapoleonDos

Smash Cadet
There's no pleasing the Smash crowd. We have had just under 2 hours of content for this game, announced eight months ago.
I wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow I start reading "we are in an information drought."

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Although I'm still not thrilled about the idea of her joining the roster, but I have to say, that game looks good. Splendid voice actors selection too. In the last few seconds, didn't any of you guys recognize that voice? Anime fans.. hellooo :)
Somebody say voice acting? :4pacman:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Did you miss the part where a ****ton of guys online exploded over that?
A ****ton of guys online exploded over every single last reveal, it's the situation of the boy who cried wolf now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom