• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
If Nintendo is investing in Cygames, doesn't that leave Katalina with some parallels to Bayonetta? Both are rather niche picks in the DLC roster but have some closer connection to Nintendo from a business perspective.

I really hope that Granblue game ends up coming to Switch because I'm a sucker for any and all action RPGs.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
If Nintendo is investing in Cygames, doesn't that leave Katalina with some parallels to Bayonetta? Both are rather niche picks in the DLC roster but have some closer connection to Nintendo from a business perspective.

I really hope that Granblue game ends up coming to Switch because I'm a sucker for any and all action RPGs.
Honestly, I don't remember Bayonetta being that Niche when the Character threads for Smash 4 were alive...

Untouch

Smash Master
I'm going to wait until the first DLC is released before I pass judgement on whether or not I think there will be more DLC after the first 5.
Unless the training stage takes up a slot (it likely will, but it may take up the spot random is supposed to be), I can't really tell what they'll do with the rest of the missing stages.
The fighter pass says that it includes ALL the DLC, but I don't think the Piranha Plant is included in it so I don't think that can be used as proof.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I was a bit bored yesterday, so I decided to make a complete character usage tier list, and this is what I got.

S: :ultlink::ultgreninja::ultlucario::ultsonic::ultmewtwo:
A: :ultsimon::ultpit::ultmarth::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink:
B: :ultshulk::ultrichter::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultmetaknight::ultmegaman::ultpokemontrainer::ultike::ultroy::ultchrom::ultsheik::ultpikachu::ultincineroar::ultken::ultryu:
C: :ultsnake::ultdarkpit::ultyoshi::ultridley::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultzss::ultrobin::ultlucina:
D: :ultolimar::ultness::ultduckhunt::ultrob::ultkirby::ultbowser::ultvillager::ultmario::ultluigi::ultlucas::ultgnw::ultpichu::ultpacman::ultmiifighters::ultfalcon:
E: :ultdiddy::ultdk::ultdoc::ultkingdedede::ultjigglypuff::ultganondorf::ultpiranha:
F: :ultrosalina::ulticeclimbers::ultisabelle::ultinkling::ultkrool:
G: :ultbayonetta::ultbowserjr::ultwiifittrainer::ultwario::ultpeach::ultdaisy:

S & A are tier 1 & 2 mains (respectively), B & C make up secondaries (tier 1 & 2, respectively), C is the third tier of secondaries (which I need more time to get used to), D is the "maybe" group (with consideration), E is "meh" (not bad, but I don't know), F is "boring" (not a fan of these ones), and G is "no." (sorry, but I can't).

Questions for me? Can anybody make their own (expecting meme responses)?

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master

Bayonetta was (or we're told that she was) the winner of the Smash ballot so she wasn't picked for business relations.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I know I'm the optimistic one, but I legitimately would not even be surprised if we got another freebie character that is not DLC.
We were told we know the whole roster. I get it. We are being told to avoud trying to hack and spoil and ruin the fun. I get that too.

I don't expect anything to come, but I also would expect the statement of 'thats all' no matter what the case.

Piranha made it even more odd. He isn't base. He isn't a dlc slot. He is something else.
That's interesting I wonder could it be an echo that's not an AT right now?

Like there are a few on the table.

-Dixie Kong

-Jeanne

-Hilda

-Funky Kong

- Ninten

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Not a fair comparison.

1. Marth was in base game, you're paying extra for Katalina. For some people, this would make Katalina better since you can skip her if you want. But it's a meaningful distinction.

2. Marth is from a first party SERIES that is at least really popular in Japan.

3. DLC slots are typically designed to sell to either/both fans of the series and casuals who like other series. So, first parties or big name third parties.

I'm not *mad* about her being in, I just think it's a really odd DLC choice. I hate Steve, but I understand. I don't understand this. Not being confrontational, just my opinion.
to be fair granblue is ****ing massive in japan from all accounts ive heard

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord

Yeah but no ballot or poll has ever had a notable Granblue character, specially not Katalina as her game isn't even out yet.

She'd be more similar to Roy or Corrin, a promotional character essentially

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd be shocked if there's only one.

I mean we have a lot of content this is true, but the Switch is still pretty young and this is a flagship title.
That is fair. As a matter of fact, I'd like to be proven wrong, since I haven't gotten much things right so far.

Honestly, I don't remember Bayonetta being that Niche when the Character threads for Smash 4 were alive...
On a wider scale, she wasn't asked for as much as for some others, but she did get requests indeed.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Bayonetta was (or we're told that she was) the winner of the Smash ballot so she wasn't picked for business relations.
I find that difficult to believe.
Nintendo bankrolled their entire 2nd project with the game releasing exactly around Smash 4's release date and from Bayo 3, we can tell they bankrolled that project as well.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was a mutual "scratch my back, I scratch yours" agreement.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
what rumor would that be?
The triple threat from some pretty credible leakers assumes that we're getting
Katalina from Granblue Fantasy
Steve from Minecraft
Sora from Kingdom Hearts

Seeing as these are all 3rd party, people are assuming that the entire DLC pack may be entirely 3rd party characters as well.

NapoleonDos

Smash Cadet
The thing is, the slots have already been decided, so there's no point in complaining about it as if your character had a chance until the other character was in. Idon puts it better than I did:

Katalina could literally be a last second inclusion as DLC. She could very well be the headliner for Season 2, similar to how Sora will likely be the headliner of Season 1, or she could be the last character of Season 1.
That's all true. But factually, we have character slots.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Yeah but no ballot or poll has ever had a notable Granblue character, specially not Katalina as her game isn't even out yet.
>Believing fan polls ever to judge the popularity of a product or characters

:4pacman:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Verge saying 3 of the 5 characters are a Dragon Quest character, Katalina from Granblue Fantasy and Steve? from Minecraft.
All of these come from people other than Verg, he's just parroting what they said. Besides, the person who said it was a DQ character has a horrible track record, and the one who said Katalina only specified that talks happened, despite Katalina being mentioned by name. The only one it's really safe to be sure about is Steve and an unnamed Square character IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
While Verge was spot on with the base game. We're in the DLC speculating area so it should be treated like a new game with a clean slate with him and that Granblue "leaker".

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
But that shouldn't stop people from criticizing the choices that were made. For example, I have always been outspokenly critical of Sakurai's decision to heavily feature FE in 4 while leaving series like Metroid and Legend of Zelda in the dust, neither of which had a really unique newcomer from Melee until Ultimate. (hell in LOZ's case they still haven't gotten one)

Others can criticize Sakurai for deciding to put the time and energy into PP, or a Granblue rep, or what have you instead of characters that have had vocal and consistent support for years.

These are fair criticisms to make, if made well, and we shouldn't act like these decisions never needed to be made in the first place.

It's not like Sakurai said "Ok these are the DLC we're gonna do and whadya know, they just so happen to be five!"

No, it went like: "We have the funds and time to make five DLC, lets decide who they'll be."
Thank. You. Was just having this argument on reddit. I can't believe how many people are calling those disappointed ungrateful. SSBU is a product. They're giving us these directs in hope that what viewers see will entice them into purchasing their game. Who the **** are y'all to tell someone who isn't satisfied with what they see that they're ungrateful? They want to love this game more than anyone; being an apologist over every decision made will not make the game better.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
While Verge was spot on with the base game. We're in the DLC speculating area so it should be treated like a new game with a clean slate with him and that Granblue "leaker".
That's...no. that's stupid to do. Dlc is still a part of smash ultimate.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I noticed Smashwiki still wont admit Vergeben got anything right but still are worshipping Loz, and anytime someone tries to point it out they shoot them down... Did Vergeben **** their mothers in front of them or something?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Verge saying 3 of the 5 characters are a Dragon Quest character, Katalina from Granblue Fantasy and Steve? from Minecraft.
Please don't spread misinformation.

Vergeben has only said he's confident in an SE character being in, which he hasn't named. He's also said Minecraft content is coming but he doesn't know in what capacity.

He's also believing another leaker who is specifically saying Steve is coming, as well as Katalina. But neither of these originated with Vergeben.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Megaman 11 seems like a great game iv only played the demo, but its really fun. I did play Dragon Quest builders and that was actually really fun. So if its better than that Im excited. I did see that Slime placed higher than Sora in Watch Mojo's most popular Square Enix characters. So I honestly can see what you're saying a Hero with Slime somewhere in his move set. Question is which hero would it be, the most recent hero or the most well known hero?

I feel like Sakurai would try to do that and would do that if it didn't involve a 3rd party, specifically if it didn't involve Square. I don't think Square will want to have their next character in Smash to be a character that does not represent them, thats just not how they do business. I have nothing against Geno and honestly if he was a Nintendo only character I would whole heartedly be putting my support behind him. Unfortunately thats not reality, and I feel despite the wants and nostalgia. Because it involves a 3rd party slot, it will not happen because he just is not relative anymore and doesn't represent Square. Despite all the loyalty theres much loyalty in other Square characters as well and for that reason I just do not see it.

Rash would be great, he is a guest character in Killer Instinct, but thats Microsoft owned so not really a guest. I would prefer him over Banjo and Steve so Im with you. I know people want Banjo, but he is seriously neglected by Microsoft. It almost makes no sense to start paying attention to a character that they haven't made a game for since 2008. Katalina would be an interesting addition Im not familiar with her, but more female characters can't hurt.
Oh it definitely is, it's beautiful and perfect.. but don't ask a Mega Man fan X) It is short however, that's why it's priced $29.99. But that's the way it always been, and that's the way I like my Mega Man :) I have not playe DQ Builders however, so I can't make the comparsion you need. YT videos might help you there, sorry. As for slime, well, I don't know, the most recent one? although his slime is weird looking. They can decide that.

But Square already has Cloud. They don't need a Square rep. Are they that insistent? I'm not a Geno fan btw. Just trying to figure who's the most probable Sq rep.. I have my points, and you do certainly have points, you seem to know a lot about Square. Then I guess only time will tell. I want to get that fighter's pass but not until I know what are they. I hope it's sooner than Feb. 2019.

That's all fine with me. Except Katalina, cause she's almost like an FE rep.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
She wasn't the actual winner of that ballot she was just and I qoute "the most realizable choice".

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I was a bit bored yesterday, so I decided to make a complete character usage tier list, and this is what I got.

S: :ultlink::ultgreninja::ultlucario::ultsonic::ultmewtwo:
A: :ultsimon::ultpit::ultmarth::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink:
B: :ultshulk::ultrichter::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultmetaknight::ultmegaman::ultpokemontrainer::ultike::ultroy::ultchrom::ultsheik::ultpikachu::ultincineroar::ultken::ultryu:
C: :ultsnake::ultdarkpit::ultyoshi::ultridley::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultzss::ultrobin::ultlucina:
D: :ultolimar::ultness::ultduckhunt::ultrob::ultkirby::ultbowser::ultvillager::ultmario::ultluigi::ultlucas::ultgnw::ultpichu::ultpacman::ultmiifighters::ultfalcon:
E: :ultdiddy::ultdk::ultdoc::ultkingdedede::ultjigglypuff::ultganondorf::ultpiranha:
F: :ultrosalina::ulticeclimbers::ultisabelle::ultinkling::ultkrool:
G: :ultbayonetta::ultbowserjr::ultwiifittrainer::ultwario::ultpeach::ultdaisy:

S & A are tier 1 & 2 mains (respectively), B & C make up secondaries (tier 1 & 2, respectively), C is the third tier of secondaries (which I need more time to get used to), D is the "maybe" group ( with consideration), E is "meh" (not bad, but I don't know), F is "boring" (not a fan of these ones), and G is "no." (sorry, but I can't).

Questions for me? Can anybody make their own (expecting meme responses)?
S: :ultbowserjr::ultlittlemac::ultlucas::ultridley:
A: :ultcorrin::ultganondorf::ultmario::ultness::ultpokemontrainer::ultroy::ultchrom::ultwario:
B: :ultdoc::ultgreninja::ultolimar::ultsnake::ultwolf:
C: :ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultjigglypuff::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultshulk:
D: :ultcloud::ultike::ultlink::ultluigi::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultrob::ultryu::ultken::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink:
E: :ultbowser::ultfalcon::ultdk::ultfox::ultmarth::ultgnw::ultpalutena::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultrobin::ultrosalina::ultwiifittrainer::ultzelda::ultzss:
F: :ultbayonetta::ultdiddy::ultfalco::ultkirby::ultlucario::ultlucina::ultmiifighters::ultsonic::ultsheik::ultvillager::ultyoshi:
?::ultincineroar::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultkrool::ultpiranha::ultsimon::ultrichter:

Based on my time with Smash 4, and how I felt about it's missing veterans. S is my favorites (plus Ridley because I already know I'll be maining him), A is characters I play a lot, B is characters I play fairly often, C is characters I may pick up every now and then, D is characters I could be convinced to play, E is characters I have no desire to play, and F is characters I actively dislike playing as. Newcomers other than Ridley I can't judge yet, but they all seem like they'll be at least C.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The problem is that now ALL of his Sources says that there a Square-Enix characters coming. PERIOD.
He got Seven name, three of which are more often said than the others, got deconfirmation from some of those seven names
Imran hinted to a Square-Enix character back in august too, and before the direct said to not expect any guest yet, but to be shown later
Leakypandy, **** track record or not seems to hint to a Reveal at Game Awards
Spawn-Wave with a literal spotless record is also saying something big is probably coming for the Game Awards too

From all intend and purpose, that square-Enix characters is probably 100% real, whoever it is.
Minecraft stuff can be Spirit not shown, or DLC. Vergeben is 100% sure of it existing, we just don't know what it is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom