• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Why waste alternate outfits on Miis that won't be USED ONLINE AT ALL LIKE IN SMASH 4!

I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARE THEY TRYING TO NOT MAKE US BUY THE GAME!

Huh! I think I answered my own question!!!!!!
Miis are going to be available online in Smash Ultimate, assuming you aren't already aware and trolling.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Rayquaza is a boss. If you go back to where Kirby looks at the overview of everything after he recovers from the Warp Star crash, you can see Rayquaza way to the left.

Do you mean in the top left? I think I see what you're talking about, but I don't think that's actually Rayquaza.

I'd seriously love it if he came back though.

D

Deleted member

Mini-game for ya'll:

Who will you be fighting Galeem as (up to 6 as that's how many you were allowed to fight Tabuu with).
What song would you replace the Final Boss theme with, assuming you do so?
Is your reason for these choices have anything to do with the game's story/lore, or do you have other reasons?
Galeem is the final boss right? In that case, :ultlink:,:ultsamus:,:ultsnake:,:ultsimon:,:ultbayonetta:,:ultshulk:.
My song would be Through The Fire and Flames cover by Familyjules.
I choose my characters because I like them :).

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
The Grinch leak character I was most potentially excited for was Isaac. Seeing him as an assist stung a little, but thinking about it more I realize it's still nice to have him in some capacity, especially after missing the last game completely. And he's in pretty good company, too. Lots of A- Listers in the assist line-up this time.
Some fans say this kills the chances of a new Golden Sun game.
But what if... in a couple of years, we get a revival of the series, with Isaac's chance of being a character in the next Smash being more than 75%?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Rayquaza is a boss. If you go back to where Kirby looks at the overview of everything after he recovers from the Warp Star crash, you can see Rayquaza way to the left.
I think all the bosses in SSE will be returning apparently. This means Crazy Hand, Duon, Galleom, Master Hand (Obviously), Porky and Tabuu will all return as bosses. As for Ridley. It's quite possible since he's not playable he'll be replaced by the Ridley clone.

Last edited:

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
But you just don’t like anyone already in the game? Even if they gave you only one character you really want to play as, you would buy it? I have only one character I don’t play. And that has nothing to do with me liking the source material of every other character. I like the gameplay itself.

What do you like that even has you here if you refuse to buy it the moment it’s announced, barring one of the above characters?
Wrong person, ignore please

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
But what if... in a couple of years, we get a revival of the series, with Isaac's chance of being a character in the next Smash being more than 75%?
I'd be happy with Camelot doing literally anything that's not another Mario sports game within the next 5 years, honestly.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I'll just leave this post of mine here
Now that everything's calmed down, I'd like to say something that should have been said some time ago;
If you're not satisfied with the final outcome, that's perfectly fine.
If you wanted to see a little extra goodies, that's okay.
If you disagree with characters people are looking forward to, that's fine too.

But...

If you're throwing a complete and utter temper tantrum over your picks not getting in and verbally attacking Sakurai, the rest of SORA, and anyone who disagrees with your own opinions, then you have no right to call yourself a fan. It doesn't matter who you support - Waluigi, Isaac, Shadow, et cetera - you're free to campaign for these characters all you like, but if you're doing so by cyberbullying and wishing death and suffering on the devs and your fellow fans, then you shouldn't be allowed to go online for a good while. Try putting the compy to sleep and going out for a spa day or something to ease your stress, don't make the rest of your characters' support base look bad.

Last edited:

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Hell! I would have rather prefered a Goomba or A Koopa Troopa (At least those those guys can move around, punch, kick, and fly) as opposed to a plant that has nothing interesting to offer us!!!!!
The fact that they can't do that normally makes them MORE interesting to me. It's not something you will normally see and it's such a goofy thing which makes it fun. It's like Audrey II as a character

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
Hell! I would have rather prefered a Goomba or A Koopa Troopa (At least those those guys can move around, punch, kick, and fly) as opposed to a plant that has nothing interesting to offer us!!!!!
Dude, it's one character thats free for a few months and then you don't have to even buy him. It is not worth this hissy fit. So calm down, your acting like a toddler.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Mini-game for ya'll:

Who will you be fighting Galeem as (up to 6 as that's how many you were allowed to fight Tabuu with).
Is your reason for these choices have anything to do with the game's story/lore, or do you have other reasons?

Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter, and Mii Gunner all get cut if this happens.

I feel ****ing attacked.
Ness
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff
Marth
Zero Suit Samus
Young Link

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Ah, I see.

I got confused because I blocked the troll he was responding to.
You can block people?! Why did I not think to check? I must be so tolerant and so humble.
.....god damn it I am humble.
I can’t even describe how superior my humility is.

CaptainMac

Smash Cadet
Mini-game for ya'll:

I feel ****ing attacked.
Inkling
Incineroar
Pokemon Trainer
Captain Falcon
Luigi
Fox

kylexv

Smash Master
Mini-game for ya'll:

:ultdoc::ultbowser::ultmarth::ultmewtwo::ultridley::ultken:

Basically, the characters I plan on playing the most.

D

Deleted member

To the tune of "Engage the Enemy"? (What? I like that song)
Hey, I like it too.
My squad of Shulk, Ganondorf, Ridley, Marth, Robin and Richter. Latter three could change depending on how I end up liking certain new characters or vets depending on their changes
Jergingha Planet Destruction Form

Vasculio

Smash Cadet
Happy for Ken and Incineroar. But WTF??! Really?! Black Shadow is a Spirit Sticker? Couldn't wait to be place on hold for DLC? I hope DLC isn't going to cater to all 3rd party characters.

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
wait so, are tabuu and galeem both in the game, or...?

I didn't even see Taboo in the trailer (Less you forget that World Of Light is just Smash Tour 3.0 where you run around a game board fighting random fighters at the end with fighter's you've collected with while grabbing crap for the Mii's)

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
You can block people?! Why did I not think to check? I must be so tolerant and so humble.
.....god damn it I am humble.
I can’t even describe how superior my humility is.
I've been on here for a while but I've never actually done it until very recently. It's certainly not something I do often.

It gets a little confusing though, as you can probably tell.

D

Deleted member

Dude, if your that mad about PP, then do the sensable thing to do, and not buy the DLC that contains him. It's that simple. I have nor idea why your throwing a fit like this.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
John Dylan Smith John Dylan Smith

Dude. We get it. People favs didn't get in (rip Midna since Brawl for me and others) and I can't say the direct was great. Disappointment is a natural human reaction and it's great if you express it here with reasonable points with your posts. With that say, you're freaking out over a plant that 9/10 didn't take anyone's spot (especially DLC). And no matter what better choices that could've been made, your amount of bawing is never going to change Sakurai's direction whenever he makes these games. I advised you to step away from the comp for a little while and calm yourself. Because you're slowly not making any sense.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
This was probably already posted, but... is that really a Big alt?

It's the same colour scheme even down to the eyes. Instant main.
There better be a spirit fight involving this Incineroar, Greninja, and Isabelle's side special.
See, guys? We got a Sonic the Hedgehog Rep after all!

It's the one we (the Sonic Fanbase) deserve.

Keyblader_Of_Smash

Smash Cadet
Mini-game for ya'll:

I feel ****ing attacked.
1: Lucina, Inkling, K.Rool, Captain Falcon, Sonic, Cloud (Side Note: if Sora or Banjo get in as DLC, this is subject to change)
2: I would want a heavy rock version of the music when you fight Master Hand in Smash 64 or the song “Heroes” From Final Fantasy 14
3: No specific story reasons, these characters are either characters I played in past versions of Smash or characters I love and hold dear (I.E: K.Rool, Sonic, Cloud)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Happy for Ken and Incineroar. But WTF??! Really?! Black Shadow is a Spirit Sticker? Couldn't wait to be place on hold for DLC? I hope DLC isn't going to cater to all 3rd party characters.
The spirits are basically trophies. Playable characters can be Spirits too. It's meaningless at this point.

Overall, he's a glorified trophy. I'm not sure how good his chances are, that said. Echoes won't be DLC, so...

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
Alright. Now that I have the time to make a case for a character, I feel that with the Fighters Pass and DLC OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED, we can truly now begin speculating for what and who should be in. I think that when we take DLC into consideration, it should be an absolute banger. We're not in the realm of Smash 4 anymore where all the rules were broken, we're in the realm of "Every rule has been broken before. Go all out." Which is why now, especially with series like Street Fighter and Virtua Fighter getting some love, I wanna make the case for Bandai Namco's very own Tekken. And a specific character.

People of the board, I present to you...

The Case of Tekken's Heihachi Mishima Joining the Smash Ultimate Roster

View attachment 175210

Here are a few points I like to present to show why Heihachi would be fit for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Tekken's Legacy and Current Status
Over time, Tekken has become one of the "giants", when it comes to the fighting game genre. Yes, you have your 2D-fighters like Street Fighter and King of Fighters, and then you have your 3D ones, like Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter. But Tekken stands on it's own two feet amongst these greats by making a compelling campaign that the fans love, with characters that have become a staple for not just the FGC, but gaming in general. There was a reason why Street Fighter X Tekken was made, after all. ...Even if it was a bit "meh", but STILL. For the most iconic fighting game franchise to collaborate with Tekken is a sight to behold.

What makes Tekken have the leg up, also, is that you may not know, but they have some pretty big Nintendo relevance, too. Firstly, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was the franchises' first big jump onto a Nintendo platform. It was not bad and a pretty good game, definitely attracted some Tekken fans. Then came the big one - Pokken Tournament. Easily this has been a beloved game, a game that mixes Pokemon's fan favorite characters and Tekken's core gameplay? Who could pass that up? So far, it has been stated in Nintendo's reports that even the Switch release of Pokken Tournament, "Pokken Tournament DX" is in the top 20 most-sold Switch games, making it both sold a million on Switch and Wii U.

But what about now? Does it stand up still against these colossal fighters like Soul Calibur and Street Fighter? The answer is abso-****ing-lutely. The reactions to The Walking Dead's Negan and Final Fantasy XV's Noctis joining the battle should leave you with little explanation. Tekken 7 has become a blockbuster hit, and was released back in 2015. Easily enough time for Sakurai to fit him in as a DLC before the project plans have finalized. It even shows with the Mii Costume that he got, and especially with the short little video with him and Ryu back in Smash For. Whether it'd be because the Mishima Saga came to a bittersweet end or even the create-a-character, it's simple to see that Tekken has grown year-by-year, and definitely won't be leaving anytime soon.

Heihachi's Legacy as a Character
Whether you like it or not, especially when we have the likes of Jin Kazama in the mix, with the setting and build up over the years, Heihachi has been probably the most iconic character in Tekken, and it shows too, when they chosen him for who would be a Mii Costume to represent Tekken. He's most notably known as a bit of a "villainous"-type of character, which fits Smash Ultimate's motif of "Heroes VS. Rivals". To give a bit of his backstory:

Due to how well-written and impactful Heihachi has become as a character in the Tekken franchise, he has always been met with praise from fans and journalists, whether it be his moves or characterization. His popularity has led to him often to even be one of Sony's mascots, "as well as one of the best characters in fighting games". It's definitely shown in that regard when he was chosen into the roster for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale. When you think of an iconic fighting game character, back then, you would only really say "Ryu", but now? Heihachi definitely is one of them.

Some Love for Bandai
This point is a bit of a simple one, but I think makes the sense, in the long term. Bandai Namco helped Sakurai and Nintendo to develop not only just Smash for 3DS and Wii U, but they also helped them develop Smash Ultimate. The roster currently has an ample amount of 3rd parties, but let's compare Bandai Namco to the rest and see why they should get another character.

Konami - 3 (Snake, Simon & Richter Belmont)​
Sega - 2 (Sonic and Bayonetta)​
Capcom - 3 (Mega Man, Ryu and Ken)​
Square Enix - 2 (Cloud and a rumored character)​
Bandai Namco - 1 (PAC-MAN)​
As you can see, there are generally, if you don't count echo fighters, 2 characters for each character across the board for all the third parties, but yet only Namco has one. It'd make sense to round out all the companies and give Namco one more fighter. And who else would do fit better for Namco than Tekken?

Status in Smash
For Heihachi, Tekken so far represented in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate so far has been unconfirmed. We haven't seen him or Tekken in Spirits and World of Light, but as we've collectively confirmed where we have pretty much all the characters in the roster have different variations of Spirits, AND the Mewtwo + Lucas 3DS Trophy Situation, Spirits doesn't deconfirm a character, so we'll put that to the side. But when it comes to adding a new character, there seems to be two big patterns when it comes to either a past franchise or fighter getting in or not, and that's from being a Mii Costume or an Assist Trophy. While there have been a few ATs promoted to playable fighter status, like Isabelle and Little Mac, Mii Costumes seem to be the one people look towards the most, and with good reason. They're actually a part of the roster, but as a part of the Mii Fighters, to make you feel like you're playing as them. So first, let's take a look at the current Mii Costume status and see where Heihachi and some characters are at.

View attachment 175223

As you can see, for Heihachi being the sole rep for his franchise, no costume has been shown to be in Smash Ultimate, as of now. And if, by the off chance it does happen, it wouldn't necessarily deconfirm him, as we have Captain Falcon and Link outfits in Ultimate. But, with Smash Ultimate, there's a clear pattern of a BIG amount of costumes getting promoted to either a fighter or an AT. But what adds possible credence to Heihachi is that he is also not a part of the Assist Trophy roster, which you can see here with a full list of the 59 usable ATs.

• Akira - Virtua Fighter
  • Alucard - Castlevania
  • Andross - Star Fox
  • Arcade Bunny - Nintendo Arcade
  • Ashley - WarioWare
  • Black Knight - Fire Emblem
  • Bomberman - Bomberman
  • Burrowing Snagret - Pikmin
  • Chain Chomp - Super Mario
  • Chef Kawasaki - Kirby
  • Color TV-Game 15 - It's literally ****ing Pong.
  • Devil - Devil World
  • Dillon - Dillon's Rolling Western
  • Dr. Kawashima - Brain Age (A.K.A. WII U TOP CHARTER BAYBEE!!)
  • Dr. Wright - SimCity
  • Flies & Hand - Mario Paint
  • Ghirahim - The Legend of Zelda
  • Ghosts - PAC-MAN
  • Gray Fox - Metal Gear Solid
  • Guile - Street Fighter
  • Hammer Bro - Super Mario
  • Isaac - Golden Sun (****ing R.I.P.)
  • Jeff - EarthBound
  • Kapp'n - Animal Crossing
  • Klaptrap - Donkey Kong
  • Knuckle Joe - Kirby
  • Knuckles - Sonic
  • Krystal - Star Fox
  • Lyn - Fire Emblem
  • Metroid - Metroid
  • Midna - The Legend of Zelda
  • The Moon - The Legend of Zelda
  • Mother Brain - Metroid
  • Nightmare - Kirby
  • Nikki - Swapnote (Actually R.I.P.)
  • nintendog - nintendogs
  • Phosphora - Kid Icarus
  • Rathalos - Monster Hunter
  • Riki - Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Rodin - Bayonetta
  • Sablé Prince - From Whom The Frog Bell Tolls
  • Samurai Goroh - F-Zero
  • Shadow - Sonic (R.I.P.)
  • Sheriff - What even is his game. "Sheriff"? Yeah, real original.
  • Shovel Knight - Shovel Knight
  • Skull Kid - The Legend of Zelda
  • Spring Man - ARMS
  • Squid Sisters (Callie & Marie) - Splatoon
  • Starfy - The Legendary Starfy
  • Starman - EarthBound
  • Sukapon - Sukapon
  • Takamaru - The Mysterious Murasame Castle
  • Tiki - Fire Emblem
  • Thwomp - Super Mario
  • Vince - Art Academy
  • Waluigi - Super Mario (Where he belongs.)
  • Dr. Wily - Mega Man
  • Yuri Kozukata - Fatal Frame
  • Zero - Mega Man
Yep. Heihachi is nowhere to be seen. With Akira's Virtua Fighter getting some love and a HUGE boost in representation for Street Fighter in Smash Ultimate - when we're talking about games that are a part of the fighting game genre - it seems as if Tekken has been conspicuously absent. No doubt that after the Mii Costume reveal, he had to have gotten a level of support for him to be in Smash, especially after Ryu. But how would he work, moveset-wise? Well, after being shown what Akira would look like if he was a playable character, I don't think him fitting on a 2D plane would be a problem, especially after Street Fighter X Tekken. I feel as if if you can look at some of Incineroar's and Ryu's moveset and combine that with the feeling of how Akira looks and plays and look at how Tekken plays as it's own respective game, I feel that a moveset for him wouldn't be THAT hard to make. Hell, look at Ken - he's was able to wiggle out some more creativity out of Ryu's moveset.

If I were to draw any conclusions is that with the timing of Tekken 7's release, the project plan for Smash Ultimate AND DLC project plans for Smash For and Ultimate, and with the points presented, it feels as if Tekken will not get the treatment that Virtua Fighter will get, but rather, I feel that Heihachi from Tekken will become a playable fighter.
I'm a Heihachi fan and would love to see him in Smash, but one issue that will arise is his voice. His most recent voice artist was Unshō Ishizuka who passed back in August (he also among other things voiced Professor Oak in the JP Pokemon anime and voiced Incineroar in Ultimate, which seems to be his final role). He's the most recent VA for Heihachi and IMHO the best, bringing so much depth and emotion to the character that I feel his previous VA's missed in some ways. Unless Mr. Ishizuka also did lines for Heihachi when he did Incineroar, they will either have to recast (unlikely at this stage, but who knows), reuse voice lines from Tekken, or not include the character at all. Ideally they should just use the voice clips from Tekken 7 if nothing unique is available but that's simply what I'd prefer.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Its been 2 days after the Direct and there is not a single Thanos/Infinity War joke in this thread....

This thread is cursed
*Sigh* Fiiiiiine.

There ya go.

Edit: Swapped the video to the one from the original creator's channel.

Last edited:

theromfather

Smash Apprentice
On a side note: I loved all the Golden Sun games except Dark Dawn. It was so disappointing and if I recall correctly after all these years I think it felt incomplete. Like half the world map was still locked away and it was hinting at a sequel to complete the story....that never happened. I wish it'd get the sequel before a reboot but ah oh well. It's just sad the series went down unceremoniously and was forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom