• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keyblader_Of_Smash

Smash Cadet
Thank god this website has an ignore function. Meanwhile, I'm thinking where to pre-order the Special Edition. Thinking Gamestop since I can't really get it from Best Buy unless I have the actual amount.
Just a heads up, Gamestop is only doing Web Orders on that and you have to pay up front for it. I learned that the hard way.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
i think the reasons they can't just spam lots of random echoes for dlc is because they'd have to make amiibos for all of them

osby

Smash Obsessed
Mini-game for ya'll:

Who will you be fighting Galeem as (up to 6 as that's how many you were allowed to fight Tabuu with).
What song would you replace the Final Boss theme with, assuming you do so?
Is your reason for these choices have anything to do with the game's story/lore, or do you have other reasons?

Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter, and Mii Gunner all get cut if this happens.

I feel ****ing attacked.
:ultjigglypuff::ultzelda::ultolimar::ultrobin::ultbayonetta::ultisabelle:: One character for each Smash.

I imagine regular one would be fine, but I'd like to put this music on, even if it isn't in Smash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0Mt56OdLRk
I just picked a favourite from each game.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Aren't 2 and 3 the same thing reworded?
No, they're different.
I just phrased it incorrectly
2 should say "completely different" instead of "a different" because that implies copying someone else

Basically
1. X looks like Y but acts like X
2. X doesn't look like Y but acts like Y
3. X looks like Y and acts like Y

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think the salt for PP is fair, but the hate is unjustified. People take it too personally like Sakurai is only targeting specifically them and laughing at them, and that is just not the case at all. If anything, hate on the Grinch (or yourself, idk) for piping up your expectations.

You gotta find the humor somewhere in there. :redface: He made something that couldn't even traditionally move and made it a character. It's amazing.

How will piranha plant jump and run?
PP has hidden legs. The bottom of its pot is hollow.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was thinking that maybe the reason there are no more trophies in Smash Ultimate is because the development team spent so much time and resources on 70+ playable fighters and 100+ stages and World of Light... so they decided to bring back stickers from Brawl and rebrand them as spirits.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Does everyone not understand that Story Mode is just Smash tour 3.0!

Also! I Wrote a whole list of characters, stages, and costumes and mailed them to Nintendo for them and Sakurai to use as suggestions (Some of which were good ideas)!

And what do they! RAISE A GIANT MIDDLE FINGER AT ME THROW MY IDEAS IN THE TRASH IN FAVOR OF SOMETHING NOBODY EVER ASKED FOR!!!!!!!!!!

Also! All the modes from the past Smash games are gone (CAN YOU ALL SEE WHY I'M PISSED OFF ABOUT THIS HORRIFIC GARBAGE)!!!!!!!!

The ONLY THING YOU CAN DO IS PLAY ONLINE WHICH IS SAID TO BE NON FUNCTIONAL!

PLEASE!!! LISTEN TO MY WARNING SIGNS AND STOP BEFORE YOU WASTE VALUABLE RESOURCES ON SOMETHING NOT WORTH YOUR TIME AND ATTENTION!!!!!!!!
I decide what's worthy of my time and attention and it's definitely playing a game I'll love, not listening to your illogical claims.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord

Also! I Wrote a whole list of characters, stages, and costumes and mailed them to Nintendo for them and Sakurai to use as suggestions (Some of which were good ideas)!

And what do they! RAISE A GIANT MIDDLE FINGER AT ME THROW MY IDEAS IN THE TRASH IN FAVOR OF SOMETHING NOBODY EVER ASKED FOR!!!!!!!!!!

Also! All the modes from the past Smash games are gone (CAN YOU ALL SEE WHY I'M PISSED OFF ABOUT THIS HORRIFIC GARBAGE)!!!!!!!!

PLEASE!!! LISTEN TO MY WARNING SIGNS AND STOP BEFORE YOU WASTE VALUABLE RESOURCES ON SOMETHING NOT WORTH YOUR TIME AND ATTENTION!!!!!!!!
Dude, give it a rest today. You've been at it all day being a troll. We get it you don't like the game. Go to bed, take a break from the internet for awhile...maybe forever. ok little buddy?

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
i think the reasons they can't just spam lots of random echoes for dlc is because they'd have to make amiibos for all of them
Would have rather had an actual echo as the first DLC addition (Either Black Shadow, Dixie King, Or Medusa would have been fine and made alot more sense)!

Also! Another problem with plant is an over saturation of Mario to a point where it takes up half the roster (In same vein that Smash 4 had with Fire Emblem)!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think the salt for PP is fair, but the hate is unjustified. People take it too personally like Sakurai is only targeting specifically them and laughing at them, and that is just not the case at all. If anything, hate on the Grinch (or yourself, idk) for piping up your expectations.

You gotta find the humor somewhere in there. :redface: He made something that couldn't even traditionally move and made it a character. It's amazing.

Nah, it probably has holes, like regular pots.

Not to mention Sakurai still have to spend time talking with the owners of the characters.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Are there even anymore "rules" for which characters can get in for DLC? After Piranha Plant, it seems like anyone is fair game as long as they didn't make their debut after the project plan's finalization. Yes. Even characters that already appear in Assist Trophies. With that said, the only characters I don't want for DLC are the ones who negatively affect the chances of my most-wanted. Regardless of what happens though, I won't be a poor sport and complain if my most-wanted don't get in. Whoever gets in is clearly considered worthy enough by Sakurai, and any new character at this point is a bonus in my book, even if I may not necessarily like them.
Actually, there is one more thing I want to add to this comment. Every character has a chance. Nothing is impossible. Characters that come from games that do not already have their main character in the roster are less likely than others. For example, I really couldn't see Undyne from Undertale getting in over Chara. Honestly, I don't even know what constitutes as a viable newcomer request anymore! This is so confusing!

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Lol I’m actually become fond of our carnivorous Plant. I consider it the mediocre icing of an already beautiful cake. I got chased by a Japanese monkey once. Frightening ordeal. Made the mistake of looking at it in the eyes.

I said before that regardless what the Direct shows, I’m perfectly content with the roster.
Relevant Video about Monkey's Paws (Also, that story sounds terrifying).

I'm... mostly content with the roster, Isaac would have made it complete for me, but as it stands now, I'll just have to either hope for a pleasant surprise and/or shift my focus elsewhere.

EDIT: Also Piranha Plant is hilarious and I hold no ill will towards it.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Going from Assist to Character in the same game isn't impossible just because it hasn't happened.
But come on, we ALL know Waluigi would be the first to get that one.
It's not impossible.
But it's pretty unlikely for Ultimate considering he decided the DLC picks early on.
Dunno about you, but Sakurai doesn't seem like the type of guy to say "Yeah, let's use resources to make this character an assist trophy and also plan them for DLC later."

Maybe at the end of 2019 he might have a bonus or whatever, but that'd be a miracle.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
As "Cursed Image" level the feet image is, Piranha Plants are completely capable of using their roots as feet, as weird as it is.

Ptooie.jpg

D

Deleted member

I realized no one had clipped this yet so I made you all a favor.
Use this for whatever you feel fit.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
So the pot has no bottom? How is the dirt contained inside then?

I imagine the legs have to be long for it to work then the pot would just look silly more like a skirt of hula hoop

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's not impossible.
But it's pretty unlikely for Ultimate considering he decided the DLC picks early on.
Dunno about you, but Sakurai doesn't seem like the type of guy to say "Yeah, let's use resources to make this character an assist trophy and also plan them for DLC later."

Maybe at the end of 2019 he might have a bonus or whatever, but that'd be a miracle.
Definitely, but it also depends on if you're still a diehard Grinch believer because of the Ken mural matching up with both versions.
I wonder if that was an actual Nintendo diversion or if some madman just got lucky.

D

Deleted member

I'm satisified with the roster we got. It sucks we didn't get Isaac or Skull Kid, but the newcomers we did get look amazing and the Story Mode looks awesome.
EDIT: Also, every single veteran back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

I imagine the legs have to be long for it to work then the pot would just look silly more like a skirt of hula hoop
The pot doesn't have dirt.
Don't know if you've noticed, but these plants grow in hollow plumbing pipes usually.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It just occurred to me that not one of Incineroar's moves are actually fire type.

Darkest Lariat / Malicious Moonsault - Dark
Revenge - Fighting
Cross Chop - Fighting
Side Special - ???, but not fire that's for sure.

I mean Jiggles has no fairy moves but she was added back when she was normal type and Ivysaur has no poison-type moves but most people forget she's poison type anyway.

Shroob

Sup?

The dirt is really compact, and the vines are poking out the bottom.

It's like when you buy a potted plant and pull it out of the pot, the dirt keeps the shape of the pot.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Alright. I take back what I said about Geno earlier. He can still get in. It's not like a character has to sell well to be viable for DLC. Geno has enough merits that he can be considered a viable newcomer choice, even if I want Sora more.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

The bottom of a plant pot has holes on the sides for excess water to drain.

When are we getting memes that Piranha Plant is the Groot of Smash Infinity War?

We have work to do people.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

Putting your faith in a(n) (bunch of) email(s) that was/were nigh impossible to be recieved, responded, or even considered is possibly the single most ridiculous thing I've seen from this fandom. You need to keep in mind that teams like SORA do things their way, not being coerced by some edgy kid with his preachy allcaps and hopeless email.

Now, stop making autists like me and several others on this board look bad and learn to take the bad with the good, there's a lot to be learned with this kind of situation.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Wait, why does Piranha Plant bother with the Pot, anyway? does it give them a defense boost, or...?

delicious pun.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Mini-game for ya'll:

Who will you be fighting Galeem as (up to 6 as that's how many you were allowed to fight Tabuu with).
What song would you replace the Final Boss theme with, assuming you do so?
Is your reason for these choices have anything to do with the game's story/lore, or do you have other reasons?

Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter, and Mii Gunner all get cut if this happens.

I feel ****ing attacked.
:ultchrom::ultmarth::ultlittlemac::ultmewtwo::ultmario::ultgreninja:
My six favorites. Two from Fire Emblem, two from Pokémon, and two from Punch-Out!! :p Pac-Man and Simon were the runners up.
Twilight of the Gods, if anything. I'd need to hear Galeem's theme first.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It just occurred to me that not one of Incineroar's moves are actually fire type.

Revenge - Fighting
Cross Chop - Fighting

I mean Jiggles has no fairy moves but she was added back when she was normal type and Ivysaur has no poison-type moves but most people forget she's poison type anyway.
Not that he needs any, really. Also his up special still has fire effect.

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
I'm satisified with the roster we got. It sucks we didn't get Isaac or Skull Kid, but the newcomers we did get look amazing and the Story Mode looks awesome.
It's simply not a story mode (Even one foreign Youtube page said that this was just a trailer for the new mode and that's it)

It's a board where you run around the board and collect stuff for the mii's (As well as stickers)!

Does that sound familiar to you all (It certainly sounds almost like Smash Tour, the mode almost everyone said was the worst thing about Smash 4)!!!!!!!!

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Actually, there is one more thing I want to add to this comment. Every character has a chance. Nothing is impossible. Characters that come from games that do not already have their main character in the roster are less likely than others. For example, I really couldn't see Undyne from Undertale getting in over Chara. Honestly, I don't even know what constitutes as a viable newcomer request anymore! This is so confusing!
While I do agree that any character has a chance of getting in, I do feel like we need to address when the DLC plans were made. I see a lot of people predicting Edelgard, Rex & Pyra and other recent characters for DLC. The thing is: these characters were either in their conceptual phase or just didn't exist at the time when the DLC characters were decided: the exact same time as the base characters. As much as I love these characters, it's literally impossible for them to be part of the 5 DLC characters, unless Sakurai is contradicting what he clearly said in the direct.

D

Deleted member

Revenge - Fighting
Cross Chop - Fighting

Well, there's his Z-Move
Greninja doesn't have any Dark moves tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom