• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
I had found it suspicious that we don't have a single reference to Xenoblade X yet. They showed the list of Xenoblade music tracks and we don't have a single song form X.

Also we have not seen a single Xenoblade X Spirt, and we saw A LOT of Spirits. I'm speculating that maybe there aren't any references to Xenoblade X at all, because they're just going to add it all through a DLC pack.
There was a Skell.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
My speculation for the next Square Enix character; based on sales, popularity of games, popularity of character, relations to Nintendo, character future, representative of Square Enix and current relativity. I would have to say its between Sora and Laura Croft.

They have a high popularity and stay current due to them being the protagonist of the many games they appear in. If either of them made it in, they would represent not only their games, but Square Enix as well. I did not choose a Dragon Quest character or Crono, due to the fact that Dragon Quest has many characters. And Crono is not that relative anymore compared to Sora and Laura Croft.
You seem to forget that Cloud is already in. That's, there's already a Square rep. in Ultimate.
So let's correct something here, sure Vergeben been calling it a Square "rep.", but it can simply be a character "from" Square. Doesn't have to be a "representer of the company", we already have that. So, Geno's still game. (ugh, I don't believe I sided with Geno)

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Sceptile, Serperior, Torterra, Chesnaught, Breloom, Tsareena, Cacturne, Sudowoodo, Lurantis.
There's a lot of cool grass types, especially in the later generations.
I see Torterra I like post.

I will continue to hold out for a Pokeball Torterra. Or Spirit. Holy **** I just realized he could become a spirit.

Sakurai give him to me.

lowkey I'd like Sans in Smash

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I see a lacking amount of female fighters in our prediction lists, sadly. I'm still rooting for Dixie, Elma, and Shantae!

peachy!

super princess
PapaGenos did get stuff right, even if what he said about the grinch leak was wrong, he pretty accurately leaked what Spirits mode was.
If we are to trust his Microsoft source that Banjo is in, I have a feeling that Minecraft is only a stage and Banjo is a character in the same pack.
We'll see though.
In a perfect world, we'd get a set that includes Banjo, a Minecraft stage, and Steve as a Mii outfit.

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
If Vileplume or Bellossom made it in I would die. The Oddish line has always been my favorite set of pokemon.

D

Deleted member

But what if they add the avatar character from X with the “classic” voice so we have two Shulks?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
PapaGenos did get stuff right, even if what he said about the grinch leak was wrong, he pretty accurately leaked what Spirits mode was.
If we are to trust his Microsoft source that Banjo is in, I have a feeling that Minecraft is only a stage and Banjo is a character in the same pack.
We'll see though.
Yeah but his Microsoft source also apparently knew all of the characters on the banner which was proven false so we can't trust that source.

Also a lot of people got Spirits right, not just PapaGenos.
lmao they nerfed Bowser Jr despite already being basically bottom tier

Doge and Birb look a bit better now with some nice buffs all around.

Diddy and Rosa still sound super scary wow. Luma comes back like 50% sooner wow

I'm curious what changes Bayo got after E3.

Also I know everyone is all "ra ra Sora" right now but what about Lara Croft? I think she's way more recognizable than Sora. (yes i know about spawn waves hints)
"Press X to doubt"

X

Sora has the most fan support out of any Square Enix character bar Geno, who Square Enix won't let in the game for some reason. That makes him the safest pick for an SE Rep that guarantees mass profit, and it's for that reason I believe that he'll be in over Lara Croft or a Dragon Quest Rep.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
"i should've stayed in Snowdin..."

Yeah but his Microsoft source also apparently knew all of the characters on the banner which was proven false so we can't trust that source.

Also a lot of people got Spirits right, not just PapaGenos.
Apparently the source only heard of those characters, and he was confused by the lack of Incineroar and the Grinch Leak. He was originally only sure about Banjo-Kazooie as DLC, but believed the Grinch Leak could be possible (this is from what I remember so not entirely sure).

Last edited:

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
So how exactly do we unlock the characters now? That's not entirely clear for me yet.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
You seem to forget that Cloud is already in. That's, there's already a Square rep. in Ultimate.
So let's correct something here, sure Vergeben been calling it a Square "rep.", but it can simply be a character "from" Square. Doesn't have to be a "representer of the company", we already have that. So, Geno's still game. (ugh, I don't believe I sided with Geno)
I highly doubt it as thats not how Square Enix works as a company. Square tends to be very stingy in lending out characters and when they do they are current. Theres a reason why Noctis appeared in Tekken and not someone else. Square Enix, I have noticed, when it comes to company partnerships. They like to keep their character representatives current. This is because they like to cross promote, its a you scratch my back and ill scratch yours. I agree Cloud takes that a portion of that slot, however I do not see Square putting Geno in. Because they would have no use for him outside of Smash Bros. They wouldnt be able to use him to cross promote their other games. If they put Sora or Lara Croft, that could potentially lead to further partnerships in the future and it would help in advertising one of their biggest characters.

Last edited:

Suspicious Squirtle

Smash Apprentice
Guess I better throw in my DLC Predictions
1. Sora
2. Steve (Minecraft)
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. Geno
5. Crash Bandicoot

*If Verge is right, I guess Katalina replacing Geno

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Spirits mode is almost guaranteed to be how you unlock characters.

The character banners for the characters are more ornate than the NPCs, which suggests that's how you get them.

Can probably still do a bunch of VS matches though. idk which would be faster.

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
Maybe its because I'm too young to have played B&K when it came out, but I'd selfishly take Steve and a Banjo mii costume than the other way around. Steve has earned his spot and his moveset could be great, with all the weapons and items he could use as well as block placing. I feel like it will happen and I like that feeling a lot.

Untouch

Smash Master
I feel nad for Shantae, but...
You know who hasn't been eliminated by Spirits?
LUSAMINE
Sun and Moon in general got shafted...
I don't know if that's related to Pokemon Company meddling, but I haven't seen any of the human characters for Pokemon as spirits, it's really odd.

D

Deleted member

I highly doubt it as thats not how Square Enix works as a company. Square tends to be very stingy in lending out characters and when they do they are current. Theres a reason why Noctis appeared in Tekken and not someone else. Square Enix, I have noticed, when it comes to company partnerships. They like to keep their character representatives current. This is because they like to cross promote, its a you scratch my back and ill scratch yours. I agree Cloud takes that a portion of that slot, however I do not see Square putting Geno in. Because they would have no use for him outside of Smash Bros. They wouldnt be able to use him to cross promote their other games. If they put Sora or Lara Croft, that could potentially lead to further partnerships in the future and it would help in advertising one of their biggest characters.
Oof, I was gonna mention this when talking about Sora cause y'know MICKEY YOU'RE TOO LATE, but just know that you get a big post bump from me. :D

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I think if there is no Tropical Freeze music in the base game, that bodes well for Dixie as Dlc. If there is, RIP.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Cursed image, or no? This thing will forever have feet here. It looks...hilariously off, but it makes sense with the joke theme.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
What? This statement makes little sense. We know Cloud is in, but just because he is doesn't mean that Square Enix is sated with their promotional rep quota. They're a company concerned with the bottom line, and there is always room for more profit and promotion.

Why would Square include Geno, a niche character, over a current character who could promote an upcoming product or franchise?

Starbound

Yeah I think the SE slot is very much 40% Sora / 40% Lara / 15% DQ / 5% anyone else

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Apparently there's a "Fighter Spirit" category, so Spirits don't disconfirm characters (I didn't think they would anyway); they can just change their Spirit's category if the character already has one when added.
https://twitter.com/PJiggles_/status/1058245803804831749
Until an actual fighter (not an alt costume) shows up as a Spirit I'm going to doubt this statement.
Yeah I think the SE slot is very much 40% Sora / 40% Lara / 15% DQ / 5% anyone else
I'd give the edge to Sora and DQ over Sora. Something like

60% Sora / 20 % DQ / 15% Lara / 5% anyone else
Maybe even 25% DQ / 10% Lara given how large DQ is as a series.

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Aside from my Goemon wish..
If Microsoft is in as Vergeben says then, this is what I want..
I won't mind anything Minecraft as long as Steve is not playable. Stage, AT, theme.. pick your choice. What I want as the MS rep is..
Rash (Battletoads) :D
Think about it. He's a perfect fit, that will drive their new game sales. Steve won't drive anything MS, but a stage in Smash will drive Smash sales.
Sorry Banjo fans, I think they renewed the rights for N64 sake. Seriously, that's a win-win-win situation :)

StormC

Smash Hero
After this Smash game is finally done, I think it's time for us old-timers pass on the baton to younger fans and let them decide who to support. No offense, but I feel like our personal nostalgia and childhoods of yesteryear are hogging the spotlight when it comes to characters. We convince newer fans to support the same old (and sometimes obscure) characters like Isaac, Geno, Skull Kid, and Banjo, only to turn around and bash modern additions like Isabelle and Incineroar because "nobody wanted them".

We've had our time, but I think the new generation is ready to take over the Smash fanbase.
Yep, I'm done. I got K. Rool and Ridley, the last two characters I really wanted. I hope Banjo-Kazooie can still be DLC, but otherwise, I'll be done with Smash speculation for the foreseeable future. I'll still play the games and enjoy them, but this is basically it for me.

It's at least a happier note to end on than Smash 4 DLC, where I thought I was done with speculation, having no idea Smash 5 was already in development.

Grevmak

Smash Cadet
I'll still say this: I'd actually kinda sorta love a Warcraft Rep as one of the DLC characters.

That'd be dope. I wanna see Arthas, Thrall, Jaina, Illidan or someone similarly popular from Warcraft in Smash, they could have awesome movesets.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Oof, I was gonna mention this when talking about Sora cause y'know MICKEY YOU'RE TOO LATE, but just know that you get a big post bump from me. :D
Thank you and I know that Aqua statement still hits me hard ha.

Also I forgot to mention that the latest Square rep 2b in Soul Calibur 6 is a perfect example of how Square Enix reps work. She is current and they are using her to cross promote while having her in the game.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
I see a lacking amount of female fighters in our prediction lists, sadly. I'm still rooting for Dixie, Elma, and Shantae!
I mean, Katalina is speculated, but "muh anime swordsman" and "muh mobile game" are making people hate her.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Glad that Ness, Falcon, and Puff seem to be getting buffs. But I’m a little saddened if the nerfs I’m hearing about Luigi and Lucas are true.

Starbound

Until an actual fighter (not an alt costume) shows up as a Spirit I'm going to doubt this statement.

I'd give the edge to Sora and DQ over Sora. Something like

60% Sora / 20 % DQ / 15% Lara / 5% anyone else
Maybe even 25% DQ / 10% Lara given how large DQ is as a series.
DQ seems like murder to get anything from though in terms of content.

and idk maybe I'm just not getting your Sora hype because I've never played KH and wasn't a Disney kid growing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom