• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Honest question, and I'm not inserting any bias into it because I want some honest feedback:

For dlc, do you think sakurai is going to do highly requested (i.e. geno, banjo and kazooie, etc), big names in the industry currently (sora, Steve, etc), or a mix of both?
Probably a mix of both.

We hardcore fans want Sakurai to cater to exclusively to just us (hence Riddles and Rool), but bringing in characters with broader appeal is also very important.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Honest question, and I'm not inserting any bias into it because I want some honest feedback:

For dlc, do you think sakurai is going to do highly requested (i.e. geno, banjo and kazooie, etc), big names in the industry currently (sora, Steve, etc), or a mix of both?
Ideally both.

Milkymike

Smash Rookie

I can see just big names. That’s basically what he did for Wii U.

I believe now is the best time to not take leaks too seriously. I was hardcore on #TeamReal and everything lined up for it to be real... but it wasn’t and there’s a lot we can learn from this going into DLC. Just sit back, relax and enjoy the wait.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Spirits don't deconfirm characters, but you need to understand the other side of the coins.

DLC characters were planned from the start.

They all comes with a Stage, Music, and a Fighter.
I'll be terribly honest, that ****ing Scream characters Sakurai could only make a deal for DLC like Third Parties and you will seriously need to convince me otherwise when Vergeben is still on a Perfect track record and still bank on a Square-Enix characters being first revealed, and Minecraft Content being in, probably DLC too.

Pirahna Plant probably have the "Come free" deal and already worked on because it didn't need a Stage or music at all being from the Mario Series, explaining why it's outside of the Season Pass Deal.

And with how hard Sakurai went on deconfirmation, such as Shadow, Isaac, Spring-man and Rex, It really boils down to like what? Next to nothing as First Party characters left.
So I guess Kale is in Fighter Z then

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Mii costumes and Spirits don't de-confirm characters...unless no Mii Fighter has a costume for playable characters.

But several fighters already have Spirits, like K Rool

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
There are sections of the greater gaming community who believe DLC has hurt the videogame industry as a whole. They often also believe that they are being "cheated" out of the full game by being asked to pay $60 for most of it and more money for the rest of it.

I do not agree with these people for a long list of reasons I won't get into here, but they do exist and they're fully within their rights to choose not to support DLC practices by voting with their wallets. (That said, 90% of them are probably blowhards who are going to buy it anyway.)

osby

Smash Obsessed

Mostly big names, probably. Last time didn't had many dead characters.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

You're asking a question none of us can answer.

For Pete's sake, Piranha Plant was the first DLC character! A grand total of two people out of the entire Smash fanbase predicted that, and it's likely that neither of those two were sincere with that prediction.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I'm predicting DLC will be a mix of marketable characters and big-name 3rd parties. FE and Pokemon are obvious choices, with Sora basically confirmed with Leakers' track record here and Monster Hunter looking very likely.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
It's posts like this that make me regret being a part of the Smash fandom.
Man I really am good at this whole "bait" thing, aren't I?
This one went way too far though, I'll agree with that. I'm sorry.
I just realized something...does this mean LaxChris's channel is done for?
PFFFFFF no. As long as DLC, and Smash as a whole, still exist, so will he.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
For one, I was responding to the general idea, not you in particular. You happened to be a main proponent of it.

Secondly, waiting to reveal Shadow and Isaac is because Sakurai. That's literally it. I don't know why he waited so long, but simple logic dictates it's NOT Because "oh I'll fool 'em all and make them fighters!" We know how this man works - while he's broken a lot of fan made rules in Ultimate, the one thing he NEVER does and will likely never do is promote an AT in the same smash generation.

Finally, I know the direct has made a lot of people very upset, but please refrain from the very passive agressiveness you accuse me of. :)
You say all that, with an avatar that has Piranha Plant licking up Shadow's tears.

TheoreticalMyth

Smash Cadet
You're asking a question none of us can answer.

For Pete's sake, Piranha Plant was the first DLC character! A grand total of two people out of the entire Smash fanbase predicted that, and it's likely that neither of those two were sincere with that prediction.
Hey I'm not expecting any of us to be right, just merely fun speculation

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Spirits don't deconfirm characters, but you need to understand the other side of the coins.

DLC characters were planned from the start.

They all comes with a Stage, Music, and a Fighter.
I'll be terribly honest, that ****ing Scream characters Sakurai could only make a deal for DLC like Third Parties and you will seriously need to convince me otherwise when Vergeben is still on a Perfect track record and still bank on a Square-Enix characters being first revealed, and Minecraft Content being in, probably DLC too.

Pirahna Plant probably have the "Come free" deal and already worked on because it didn't need a Stage or music at all being from the Mario Series, explaining why it's outside of the Season Pass Deal.

And with how hard Sakurai went on deconfirmation, such as Shadow, Isaac, Spring-man and Rex, It really boils down to like what? Next to nothing as First Party characters left.
I mean I'm pretty sure they were already planning on adding Mewtwo to Smash 4 by the time 3DS was released but he still had a trophy in both the 3DS and Wii U versions. They probably wouldn't make characters they're planning on making as DLC into assist trophies, but I don't think that'll stop them from giving them the even lower effort spirits. Spirits were chosen to replace trophies because they're far more low effort to incorporate - I imagine they're going to be squeezing as many of them into the game as they can.

D

Deleted member

I would like to see Sora, Crash and Banjo.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Also it's interesting that we seemingly aren't going to get any echo fighters as DLC characters. That's quite a bummer knowing the huge potential for them.

D

Deleted member

My family and I have been playing Smash Wii U consistently since 2014. Before that, I played Brawl for years. Before that, I played Melee for years.

I'm with you. My lack of salt obviously has to do with having received both Dark Samus and a Chibi-Robo Mii costume, both characters being my two most-wanted, plus Ridley. I feel bad for everyone who didn't get their character, but the only character in Smash I've ever been really attached to is R.O.B., and that wasn't until after I saw and played him in Brawl. I've never had a character leading up to a Smash release that was one I really wanted. Up to now, the excitement has been from everyone else's excitement for characters. In Smash 4, I spent most of the leadup to it just hoping R.O.B. wasn't cut.

Even if I had to stick with R.O.B. for the third game in a row, I'd still be picking the game up Day One. The huge gameplay improvements, all the new stages, all the returning veterans and other new characters, Spirits mode, better online... I look at the complete package. That's why, while I prefer Smash 4's style of gameplay, I prefer Brawl over both Melee and Smash 4. Because Brawl had SSE, great side modes, a good level editor, and the minimum characters I'd want. Even though Melee was my first, and Smash 4 was my most consistently-played, Brawl is the game I've always liked best.

Ultimate may or may not dethrone that with its huge amount of characters, stages, Spirits mode, and gameplay changes. Whether or not it's all substantial enough, we'll see. But that final cinematic for Spirits got me pretty emotional, and even though I know there won't be any more cutscenes, I'm pumped to play it.

The last time I've been this excited for an upcoming game was for Halo: Reach all the way back in 2010, and I felt that way only after E3, before Dark Samus was shown. It's going to take a lot more than a few disappointing newcomers to make me not want the game.
The Smash fanbase will forever be the king of having the most amount of crybabies that take things far too seriously.

No, I'm not sorry.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Man I really am good at this whole "bait" thing, aren't I?
This one went way too far though, I'll agree with that. I'm sorry.

PFFFFFF no. As long as DLC, and Smash as a whole, still exist, so will he.
There's obvious bait, and then there's blatantly unacceptable under any circumstance.

I accept your apology, but learn how to ****post better, young Padawan. ;)

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I'm confused at the people who did want the game and now don't. I thought we unanimously agreed that this game was going to be great after Ridley was revealed. I don't recall anyone saying "This game looks great but if my character doesn't get in or if they reveal a plant I'm not getting it"
Let me explain why I think that "The game was worse by the end of the direct than it was before".
We all knew that some things would need to be adressed today, at least one new mode (Spirits), new characters, and online stuff.

About game modes: The game doesn't showed nothing absolutely incredible (gameplay-wise).
World of light is beautiful, but it feels like a pretty design over the same thing (event battles).
Everything else was ported from Smash4 or cut. It looks like there's no custom moves (great, I don't liked them that much), but the buff status mechanic resulted into Spirits buffs/sticker.
Trophies and trophy rush are gone.
No Smash Run or Smash Tour (at least).
Single player experience is not looking that good. Today was the day for them to sell us the idea that single player is strong at Super Smash Bros Ultimate, but it isn't and it's showed.

About online: Almost everything ported from Smash4. Global Smash Power that is not a competitive/serious ranking system, something we claimed since the launch of Smash4. The inclusion of lobbies and self-made rules are a step on the right direction, but it feels the online development is from the final 00's or early 10's, not 2018 standart. They also recommend the lan ethernet adapter what it's like "We know connection won't be good, try your best."

About characters: Vergeben was also a leak that we trusted a bit so when Incineroar showed up, we weren't surprise at all. Just one newcomer and one echo in the final presentation. AND THEN, A SURPRISE: Piranha plant. A minor character, a commom enemy, a hazard, not any character that we wanted.

So, before this direct we had some doubts about the game.
Doubts about single player experience, doubts about online, doubts about the final roster.

I was expecting that single player and online would be better, but they showed what they had.
I was happier with the idea of this two fields progressing and being better than Smash4.

So it's safer to say that, in my mind, the game was better before the Smash Direct than it was after.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Somebody please: I'm still confused about Dracula's boss rushes. Is it actually going to be part of the story mode or is it just a giant onslaught of goofy modified battles. Or else why did they say "More on that later" back in August and then give us no real answer?

TeamFlareZakk

I'm predicting DLC will be a mix of marketable characters and big-name 3rd parties. FE and Pokemon are obvious choices, with Sora basically confirmed with Leakers' track record here and Monster Hunter looking very likely.
I always thought for sure we would get Mario and Pokemon as dlc in Smash 4.. Guess thats not how it works.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Wait, but what was that leak that "ruffled" a company's feathers? Clearly isn't the Grinch.

Perhaps it was SpawnWave's Sora leak? It didn't say the leak had to be a picture.
It might have been an internal leak, one we didn't get to see. Someone may have had info they weren't supposed to have, and the company found out.

D

Deleted member

Probably old information, but just in case someone missed it (like myself), DLC will contain NO Echo fighters:

That's a little surprising, I figured they'd be bundled with full fighters.

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord

He doesn't care what others want at this point honestly, he decides what he wants

TeamFlareZakk

That would be amazing, imagine after defeating ridley boss you unlock the meta ridley skin.
That would be amazing if you just choose Ridley on the character select screen and just push x or y and choose his Meta Ridley skin right away, lets do that.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Whatchu gonna do?

Whatchu gonna do when he comes for you?

Piranha Plant's running animation is incredible, I love how its tongue hangs out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom