• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Mewtwo was a thing, and we've got Piranha Plant.

The thing is Smash 4 was between generations (VI and VII), while Ultimate is coming at the tail end of Gen VII-- with VIII launching next year. And with how things have gone so far with Pokemon, I think it's a reasonable assumption that a Gen VIII 'mon will get in as DLC.
So does plant deconfirm Geno if hes a Mario character?

TheoreticalMyth

Smash Cadet
Vergeben posted this minutes ago:

View attachment 174724

And he ACTUALY posted about Piranha Plant before the direct on reddit.
I realy think hes the real deal.

So...

Square Enix Rep. and Steve as DLC?
Did he actually confirm that Steve is playable, or that we are getting some sort of "minecraft content?" Last I had heard, he didn't specify character.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Spirits don't deconfirm characters, but you need to understand the other side of the coins.

DLC characters were planned from the start.

They all comes with a Stage, Music, and a Fighter.
I'll be terribly honest, that ****ing Scream characters Sakurai could only make a deal for DLC like Third Parties and you will seriously need to convince me otherwise when Vergeben is still on a Perfect track record and still bank on a Square-Enix characters being first revealed, and Minecraft Content being in, probably DLC too.

Pirahna Plant probably have the "Come free" deal and already worked on because it didn't need a Stage or music at all being from the Mario Series, explaining why it's outside of the Season Pass Deal.

And with how hard Sakurai went on deconfirmation, such as Shadow, Isaac, Spring-man and Rex, It really boils down to like what? Next to nothing as First Party characters left.
I think you're on the right track with DLC third parties. I think that most of them will be.

And part of that is just due to the first party pool being absolutely gutted after this direct! Like there's just Elma, Waddle Dee and probably a few others left, but not many.

I can see a 4:1 split - 4 third parties and 1 first party.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
As far as DLC goes, this is what I'm hoping for;
Skull Kid
Bandana Waddle Dee
Elma
Sora
Dante
I'd personally have it go like this:
Shantae (Not even sorry. That Spirit appearance probably won't mean anything - think about Mewtwo and Lucas from last game!)
Marx
Elma
Square Enix character (I personally have history with different characters now owned by SE!)
Misty, with her own three Pokémon.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
You are forgetting about @Opossum and probably more people I forgot about.
I'll be honest with you. I was kinda a believer for both. It could go this way, or this way, was my thought. even then, i was leaning more towards Grinch Leak :p
*loudly clearing his throat*
I shall give props to you guys as well. I thought it died during the Grinch v Insider debacle, but that's what we get for underestimating cardboard. I can see why :ultsnake: likes it so much.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
About Rex... I think there's still a chance he's one of the DLC fighters. His Mii costume looks very detailed and the timing could be in his favor. Not gonna hope for it, in any case.
It stings how hard Xenoblade X got shafted, I hope Elma's DLC with a stage, too.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Let me explain why I think that "The game was worse by the end of the direct than it was before".
We all knew that some things would need to be adressed today, at least one new mode (Spirits), new characters, and online stuff.

About game modes: The game doesn't showed nothing absolutely incredible (gameplay-wise).
World of light is beautiful, but it feels like a pretty design over the same thing (event battles).
Everything else was ported from Smash4 or cut. It looks like there's no custom moves (great, I don't liked them that much), but the buff status mechanic resulted into Spirits buffs/sticker.
Trophies and trophy rush are gone.
No Smash Run or Smash Tour (at least).
Single player experience is not looking that good. Today was the day for them to sell us the idea that single player is strong at Super Smash Bros Ultimate, but it isn't and it's showed.

About online: Almost everything ported from Smash4. Global Smash Power that is not a competitive/serious ranking system, something we claimed since the launch of Smash4. The inclusion of lobbies and self-made rules are a step on the right direction, but it feels the online development is from the final 00's or early 10's, not 2018 standart. They also recommend the lan ethernet adapter what it's like "We know connection won't be good, try your best."

About characters: Vergeben was also a leak that we trusted a bit so when Incineroar showed up, we weren't surprise at all. Just one newcomer and one echo in the final presentation. AND THEN, A SURPRISE: Piranha plant. A minor character, a commom enemy, a hazard, not any character that we wanted.

So, before this direct we had some doubts about the game.
Doubts about single player experience, doubts about online, doubts about the final roster.

I was expecting that single player and online would be better, but they showed what they had.
I was happier with the idea of this two fields progressing and being better than Smash4.

So it's safer to say that, in my mind, the game was better before the Smash Direct than it was after.
I appreciate you explaining your stance and not being upset that I'd dare judge other people's opinions.
While I don't agree that the single player is lesser than 4, I can see how other's would be disappointed in it.
The matchmaking system could be better though, yes, but I'd mostly just be using online to play with friends rather than using it to look for some sort of challenge, although I do wish there was a better option for that.
To be clear I agree that this direct is disappointing, but it wasn't enough to dismantle all the hype beforehand and I was confused how it was to others. Thanks again for explaining yourself

Confirmation

Smash Ace
W-What? I just ran a search for this and all it says it was about the Tropical Freeze port, not the actual game back on the Wii U

And even then I just... highly doubt it

That invalidates my points...how exactly? Let me mourn in peace.
It's hard to take you seriously when you accuse others of being passive aggressive when you have a smily face right after and an avatar like that.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
wavedashing.png

Can anyone verify this exists? I'm trying to find it inside the direct and I can't.

Didn't mind the direct btw plant 2nd best newcomer besides inkling. Game is still a nintendo fighter and thats all i ask for,

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Honestly, I think Piranha Plant is unironically my most hype newcomer simply due to how much surprise and laughter it gave me, as well as it looking goofy and charming.

D

Deleted member

Did he actually confirm that Steve is playable, or that we are getting some sort of "minecraft content?" Last I had heard, he didn't specify character.
Seeing as how the stages come with a character, I do believe he's implying Steve is coming.

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
It feels good, especially after all the hate he got. He'll definitely get more but I don't care at this point. He's in, that's all I need.
Yep. It's sad that people like Shadow, Shantae, and Geno probably won't make it in, but I'm super satisfied with the final roster (in fact, the only characters that I don't care for are Daisy and Isabelle).

Starbound

Where is all of this “DLC was decided in 2015” stuff?

Because if that’s the case, OOOOHHHH BOY am I worried about the DLC characters. More so, then being filled with hype 3rd parties and meh first parties.
They said it in the direct while showing Rex off.

They had already decided the characters before XC2 came out, so Rex couldn't be included.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Well think about it

All the DLC are "Character + Stage + Musics"

So if Minecraft is DLC, he will get a character.

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
I had a chance to watch the Direct, work for a bit, and read through the posts at the time of the direct. I was #TeamReal, for context.

My only concern is Online mode, but that will pass. Having a good guess on how it'll work, plus reading some takes from people everywhere, will take care of that.

I gotta say, though, passionate community here. With 20/20 hindsight, it was very silly for me to believe that Nintendo wouldn't be truthful with the whole, "Don't expect many new fighters" and "we're slowing down" bits. The whole Grinch ordeal has one final, major message that I will always follow from now on:

Hype Responsibly.

Discussing Leaks will never, ever be the same.

Starbound

Seeing as how the stages come with a character, I do believe he's implying Steve is coming.
The alternative could be a Steve Mii costume.

Though I don't know why they wouldn't have shown it off today...

So yeah, you're probably right.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I have a hard time taking you seriously saying "don't be passive aggressive", when that avatar could be construed as being passive aggressive against Shadow fans (and those who dislike Piranha Plant).
...you do realize I AM [all of me] a Shadow fan myself, right? That I'm using this avatar to mourn the fate of my #1 most wanted pick? Passive aggressive, my ass.

This discussion isn't getting us anywhere and derailing from my original point. You do you and dream on about ATs my friend :) I myself can't subscribe to that sort of pie in the sky thinking, and don't come crying to us when the ATs are still ATs. If Shadow gets DLC I'll be right there hyped with you.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
As far as DLC goes, this is what I'm hoping for;
Skull Kid
Bandana Waddle Dee
Elma
Sora
Dante
Skull Kid's an AT again according to the site.

That said, I wonder how support for upgrading AT will go. People keep campaigning for Waluigi. Is it going to be the same for characters like Skull Kid, Shadow and Isaac?

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
There are a few Mii wrestlers I would like to make..

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Vergeben posted this minutes ago:

View attachment 174724

And he ACTUALY posted about Piranha Plant before the direct on reddit.
I realy think hes the real deal.

So...

Square Enix Rep. and Steve as DLC?

He even said that there is high chance that the Square-Enix DLC will be the first being shown in Reddit.
And with the VGA Rumor.

Let's go. Erdrick or Sora.
LET'S RAVE IT UP!

IM DYING ON THAT HILL! DECEMBER 6 HERE I COMES!

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
The Smash fanbase will forever be the king of having the most amount of crybabies that take things far too seriously.

No, I'm not sorry.
I mean, I don't begrudge people for being upset that their character didn't make it in, provided that their character had good reason to. I wouldn't have been too upset about Dark Samus or Chibi-Robo because they're not very popular characters and don't have a whole lot of support. So if they didn't make it in, I'd be like "Yeah, that makes sense."

Geno, Isaac, Banjo, etc. are all characters who have been massively supported for over a decade, like Ridley and K. Rool. I wanted them to get into the game for that alone, even though I have no personal investment in any of them. And I do believe they have good chances at being DLC fighters, so I'm hopeful for that. I can only wish that the people who do have personal investment in them will have that hope, too, and make their voices heard.

The only complaining about Smash that's ever really annoyed me is the Melee elitism. It's fine if you like Melee more than the other games. Melee was one of my first Nintendo games in general, it holds a special place in my heart, and I love going back and playing it every now and again. But I don't like how its competitive scene is centered around glitches and weird techniques rather than on good character balance, and the people who talk trash about Brawl and Smash 4 just because it isn't exactly like Melee, and insult those that do like them, bug me.

D

Deleted member

THis is my DLC wishlist:

-Crash pack: Crash Bandicoot, Warp Room from Warped and Crash music.

-Microsoft pack: Banjo, Minecraft stage/Spiral Mountain and music from Rare and Microsoft games.

-Kingdom Hearts pack: Sora, Twilight Town and KH music.

-Xenoblade pack: Elma, a stage from X and music from X and 2.

-SM RPG pack: Geno, Forest Maze/Bowser’s Castle and music from the game.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Quite literally the only thing that I was unsatisfied with in the entire Direct was Zelda speaking (and in English, too). Why? My immersion!!!

Pettiness aside, game will undoubtedly be awesome. I'm glad there's a decent amount of single player content. It's nice to see that Sakurai still has surprises up his sleeve. I knew the Grinch leak was more fishy than Zora's Domain and couldn't be trusted. I can't wait to break backs wrestling-style like Bane with Incineroar and spam flaming shoryukens with Ken (I totally called the latter). Lastly, I give my condolences to those who took deconfirmations to the face on this blessed day. I, however, did not (fortunately). Elma and the Savvy Stylist still has a shot at being playable. I don't think Anna (Fire Emblem) and Phosphora were deconfirmed either. Even if any of them were, that's alright, there's always next time and the game will be just fine regardless. I can't wait until the Dec. 7th.

Last edited:

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
Could we get an update to the "Who are you looking forward to most from the currently confirmed newcomer cast?" thing, please? I wanna change my vote the OG plant.

D

Deleted member

Verge is the most correct Ultimate leaker now.
The Grinch hype is dead and should stay dead.

skullkidfordlc

Smash Rookie
The more I think about it, the less likely 1st party characters seem if assist trophies can't make the jump to playable. There are bound to be big 3rd party heavy hitters (Sora, Banjo, Geno, and Rayman all feel like logical possbiliities), and if even just one or two of the above (or almost any 3rd party rep, really) makes it as DLC, what remaining 1st party characters could really compete with them for 1 of 5 coveted spots? Skull Kid, Isaac, and Waluigi are among some of the only characters that could stand next to Banjo, Geno, or Sora in this context and not feel... less deserving, for lack of a better way to put it.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Well, if Minecraft is DLC, and if we assume each pack is a character with a related stage and music, then we'd either get Steve, a Creeper, or Banjo-Kazooie because Microsoft.

TheoreticalMyth

Smash Cadet
This seems unlikely, but we might get either a throwback stage or a stage not pertaining to their series. If people are still holding out hope for banjo, then we may be getting a minecraft stage with the banjo character. Unlikely, I know, but we will have to wait and see. Until he confirms Steve 100% as playable, I will hold out my suspicions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom