• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Somebody please: I'm still confused about Dracula's boss rushes. Is it actually going to be part of the story mode or is it just a giant onslaught of goofy modified battles. Or else why did they say "More on that later" back in August and then give us no real answer?
I'm guessing they're going to be boss battles in WoL similar to how that robot at the end of the WoL trailer was. Hell they even had the same type of "intro boss cinematic" where the boss prepares to battle.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
There's obvious bait, and then there's blatantly unacceptable under any circumstance.

I accept your apology, but learn how to ****post better, young Padawan. ;)
Yeah I understand, there's no excuse for saying something like that.
I didn't mean it at ALL, though, and I hope people realize that. I feel as though I seriously need to stop ****posting. I keep saying I'm gonna stop and then I do it some more. It's like an addiction.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Probably old information, but just in case someone missed it (like myself), DLC will contain NO Echo fighters:

That's a little surprising, I figured they'd be bundled with full fighters.
Makes me wonder if they're secretly planning echo fighter Character packs as more dlc?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I mean I'm pretty sure they were already planning on adding Mewtwo to Smash 4 by the time 3DS was released but he still had a trophy in both the 3DS and Wii U versions. They probably wouldn't make characters they're planning on making as DLC into assist trophies, but I don't think that'll stop them from giving them the even lower effort spirits. Spirits were chosen to replace trophies because they're far more low effort to incorporate - I imagine they're going to be squeezing as many of them into the game as they can.
The difference is that, Mewtwo was probably planned before hand, cut because no time was left before being reworked into DLC deal. No characters being used as "player icons" for the Lobby system or online in Smash 4 got promoted, you could choose assist Trophy, FF summon, even Chrom.

Using Mewtwo is a bad exemple, as currently the Mewtwo situation of Ultimate is the ****ING Pirhana Plant. (I still can't believe it's a fighter, but it's still making me laugh)

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Well uh that wasn't what I expected.

Spirits looks fantastically well made and I love the idea behind it. That cutscene with the Smash theme with lyrics was beautiful....
(And hey I did suggest a FighterZ-inspired mode...corrupt clones and all that. I was partially right!)

Online is what I wanted all this time. Finally - Options! And some sort of consistent matchmaking. It has a sense of progression and is fluid enough to allow the player to freely decide who they want to use for a fight without risking rank. Lovin' it.

Now for the reveals: well...looks like Grinch will go down as one of the best fakes of all time. I am confused and perplexed.
Box theory was indeed correct - I did say they might find Spirits worthwhile enough to make it the meat and bones of a Direct, and voila.
Incineroar looks goofy fun but probably isn't for me.

Wow that disconfirmation barrage was brutal. I am so glad Phoenix is still alive and kicking', and some stiff competition seems to off the radar for now.

I like the idea of a fighter's pass, but I could have done with a teaser of a character or two to see if it will be worth it for me.

And well, that Piranha Plant.....................no words. I am stunned. Nobody in their right mind would have predicted that.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
So do any of you think Banjo, Isaac, Shadow, and Geno will be our holy quadrinity for future Smash?
Geno and Banjo still have good chances as DLC for Ultimate, especially Banjo with the whole "phil spencer meeting with nintendo at e3" thing. I kinda doubt isaac will ever be playable at this point if he wasn't this time around, and shadow I have no idea about.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
It sounded like they have already decided who the DLC is, but they just haven't started making them yet (which is why Rex wasn't even able to be DLC)
Yeah agreed. I'm just excited we get 5 more unique fighters. DLC wasn't confirmed before this, so it's nice that it's there at all.

D

Deleted member

As far as DLC goes, this is what I'm hoping for;
Either Eldeguard or Syluk (preferably the latter)
Bandana Waddle Dee
Elma
Sora
Dante
EDIT: Removed Skull Kid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
You know, I gotta congratulate @drag0nscythe. They were the only person sticking with Box Theory, despite the Grinch and the insiders. Mad props dude.
I'll be honest with you. I was kinda a believer for both. It could go this way, or this way, was my thought. even then, i was leaning more towards Grinch Leak :p

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I'm guessing they're going to be boss battles in WoL similar to how that robot at the end of the WoL trailer was. Hell they even had the same type of "intro boss cinematic" where the boss prepares to battle.
I remember him, he was in that toy commercial for Hot Wheels trying to punch the cars lol

KMDP

Smash Legend

That invalidates my points...how exactly? Let me mourn in peace.
I have a hard time taking you seriously saying "don't be passive aggressive", when that avatar could be construed as being passive aggressive against Shadow fans (and those who dislike Piranha Plant).

paper roxy

Smash Ace
honestly i had given up hope about geno because everyone was saying sora would be the dlc since he's more popular but after a quick google search..
"All characters and worlds original to the Kingdom Hearts franchise are owned by The Walt Disney Company."
i have significantly less high expectations for sora and better hopes for geno tbh. sora is owned by square and disney. geno is just owned by square (and partially nintendo from what we know about him being used) and itd be WAY easier for sakurai to make a deal with square for a character he wants than having to deal with a character owned by square AND disney

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To be fair I get the Piranha Plant disdain, that would be a character people would complain about even if it got in Mario Kart.

Like, it works, and it's DLC so you need not indulge if you don't like it... but I'm not gonna pretend there weren't choices with merits more prevalent out there. Usually when Sakurai chooses a surprise character, it may be unexpected but its qualifications are self-evident. WFT, ICs, DHD, Pokemon Trainer, even Corrin and ROB.

The most that can be said about the Piranha Plant (that wouldn't be subjective) is it has a moveset that works (not a particularly unique accomplishment) and that it's an easily identifiable character. And people will enjoy it, but I'd argue even more people would enjoy a different choice.

Now that it's included the opinion will change, but virtually nobody would be defending it prior to today. This isn't a complaint (given that I can pass up on the character should I choose), more just a concession towards the lack of affinity.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Where is all of this “DLC was decided in 2015” stuff?

Because if that’s the case, OOOOHHHH BOY am I worried about the DLC characters. More so, then being filled with hype 3rd parties and meh first parties.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Soo.. why Smash is $80!? am I missing something? :/
What country do you live in? Some countries are priced higher for import costs and federal taxes and whatnot.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Yeah I understand, there's no excuse for saying something like that.
I didn't mean it at ALL, though, and I hope people realize that. I feel as though I seriously need to stop ****posting. I keep saying I'm gonna stop and then I do it some more. It's like an addiction.
You should eat a lot of candy instead. Imo better than shirposting

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
So, Incineroar is voiced by Old Joseph’s (Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure) Japanese VA? That makes me like him even more. :grin:

F6A7A555-752B-4521-A006-85B757C744B0.gif

Graizen

Smash Champion
Vergeben posted this minutes ago:

Verge.jpg

And he ACTUALY posted about Piranha Plant before the direct on reddit.
I realy think hes the real deal.

So...

Square Enix Rep. and Steve as DLC?

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I always thought for sure we would get Mario and Pokemon as dlc in Smash 4.. Guess thats not how it works.
Mewtwo was a thing, and we've got Piranha Plant.

The thing is Smash 4 was between generations (VI and VII), while Ultimate is coming at the tail end of Gen VII-- with VIII launching next year. And with how things have gone so far with Pokemon, I think it's a reasonable assumption that a Gen VIII 'mon will get in as DLC.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
He doesn't care what others want at this point honestly, he decides what he wants
I can't believe people are still saying that after he went back on his very own words and put Ridley in just to cater to hardcore fans.

He cares about what we want, he just doesn't (and shouldn't) cater only exclusively to hardcore fans and no one else.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
So now that no doubt remains and the initial shock has worn off there's only one question remaining.

Who is responsible for the Grinch leak? Because they played this community like a fiddle.

McSpanker

Smash Cadet
Was honestly really disappointed with that direct. I wish now they hadn't put so much information in the E3 and first direct honestly. I wasn't fully in on the grinch leak but I was expecting more than just one more unique newcomer. I guess piranha counts but like really? I guess it's definitely the joke character but dang. And it just seems so weird to hold onto the fact that shadow and isaac are still AT's, KNOWING how much fans wanted both of them in. Just seemed cruel for no reason. Idk, hoping the story mode has an actual story too and isn't just limited to the little clip we saw and then that's basically the story and you just fight the spirits from there and win them back without more cutscenes.

Game is still looking like a 9/10 but the direct was a good 3/10 for how hyped it could've been. Didn't even talk about classic mode, plus no other modes like possible break the targets or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom