• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I think everyone who was right about the box theory has the right to send death threats to everyone who didn’t and get away with it. I mean, it happened to them.
That is seriously messed up.

I sincerely hope that this is a poorly executed joke.
I'm noticing a few people on Twitter saying the season pass killed any desire they had for this game. I can understand that.
How so?
We don't even know what characters are on it yet.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think everyone who was right about the box theory has the right to send death threats to everyone who didn’t and get away with it. I mean, it happened to them.
Ok, **** like this is not fine in any way.

If you or anyone you know got death threats over box theory, I'm sorry and I feel bad for you, that being said...

It's this kind of attitude that gives the Smash fanbase a bad rep and contributes to the idea that character speculation is toxic. People have become so wrapped up in trying to be right that've lost any sense of humanity. Keep in mind we are talking about a children's video game, not nuclear launch codes. This is supposed to be for fun, remember? People support characters they like because they enjoy them, their games, and want to see them in Smash.

People have been talking a lot about entitlement in the Smash community today, and this is a prime example of it. If your character got in, great, I'm happy for you and you should have any and all rights to celebrate. Where it stops being ok is when you start seriously insulting people who thought different than you. That's when you start looking like an entitled child.

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Fair enough.

I just showed my little sister the trailers for the new characters. She didn't care about Ken or Incineroar but she actually started jumping up and down and getting excited for Piranha Plant. If it makes her happy I'm cool with it. She is also way closer to the target demographic than I am so I guess Nintendo's doing something right.
Your little sister is a stupid idiot dummy and I hate her
/s
That is seriously messed up.

I sincerely hope that this is a poorly executed joke./QUOTE]
Oh don't worry, it is.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Yeah, Fire Emblem probably will get another promotional character for 3 Houses. Even Pokemon has that opportunity to rep Gen 8, possibly (imagine the salt).

I'm like 90% sure the SE Rep will be Sora, considering Kingdom hearts 3 is a 13 year investment to a lot of people and he's 2nd only to Cloud.

Other than that I feel like DLC will be reserved for more 3rd parties though. Bamco, Capcom, or Sega may get another character.

My biggest guess is the possibility of Banjo. I feel like Minecraft will be more related to Mii costumes imo, but We'll see.
It sounded like they have already decided who the DLC is, but they just haven't started making them yet (which is why Rex wasn't even able to be DLC)

D

Deleted member

Man, this fanbase can make me really irritated sometimes...
Yeah but...

Playable protagonist though.
I haven't been carrying this sig around for a half decade so Mr. Hee-ho could make it in.
Demi-Fiend and Flynn for Ultimate DLC.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Wait, but what was that leak that "ruffled" a company's feathers? Clearly isn't the Grinch.

Perhaps it was SpawnWave's Sora leak? It didn't say the leak had to be a picture.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Hey does anyone have the Banner, Mural, Tapestry, Whatever you call it now that Ken, Incineroar, and Not Koopa Troopa are sure to be on it so i can save it over the last one?
P. Plant isn't on the banner yet. Most likely because it's a DLC fighter.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I just watched the direct and...holy...
Actually excited for Piranha Plant, not gonna lie, that song is freaking great. why did they kill Isabelle. Why is Isabelle angry, and I'm happy Kirby isn't dead.

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I think two VERY likely DLC candidates is a Minecraft Rep (Steve) and Geno. Heck Geno might even be the first dlc pick, with sakurais comments about wanting to include him and the mii costume last game, I don’t see how he couldn’t atleast get him in for dlc. And before you ask, no I don’t think that being a spirit keeps him from getting in, male Wii fit trainer is a spirit and Mewtwo had a trophy before becoming playable in smash 4.
As for Steve, Verge has been 100% on the dot so far so I can’t really doubt him too much anymore. “Minecraft Content” makes a lot more sense when considering that each fighter gets grouped as content with a stage and music. This could also apply to why he only heard of a “square Enix rep”, as its future plans for dlc of Geno since Sakurai didn’t have the time to put him in the base roster.
As for the other 3, that’s entirely speculation. My personal guesses would be Black Mage from Final Fantasy, DoomGuy, and Bandana Waddle Dee. Black Mage explains the very small FF music currently and could help expand that series representation to a healthy amount after DLC, DoomGuy because he’s a “HOW ON EARTH” character that would drum up a lot of hype, and Bandana Waddle Dee because he’s another very highly requested character with Geno.

But DLC aside, this roster is fantastic the way it is and I’m very excited to play this game on launch!

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Okay, then why did it take them so long to reveal the Isaac and Shadow ATs, then? They could have ripped that band-aid off immediately like they did for Waluigi and Lyn.

You know, it's kind of passive aggressive to reply to someone without actually quoting them, right? It makes it seem like you don't want that person to see what you've written.

Also, "stop getting your hopes up"? Screw you, I do want I want.
For one, I was responding to the general idea, not you in particular. You happened to be a main proponent of it.

Secondly, waiting to reveal Shadow and Isaac is because Sakurai. That's literally it. I don't know why he waited so long, but simple logic dictates it's NOT Because "oh I'll fool 'em all and make them fighters!" We know how this man works - while he's broken a lot of fan made rules in Ultimate, the one thing he NEVER does and will likely never do is promote an AT in the same smash generation.

Finally, I know the direct has made a lot of people very upset, but please refrain from the very passive agressiveness you accuse me of. :)

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Waitasec... we DID get Steve in Smash Afterall!!!!

Anyone else remember this?

Edit: I Propose we henceforth refer to Pirannah Plant AS Steve, in part cuz it'd be a funny reference. Mostly to save us all time typing.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
P. Plant isn't on the banner yet. Most likely because it's a DLC fighter.
They might not even update the banner for DLC at all. It may remain base-game only.

TheoreticalMyth

Smash Cadet
Honest question, and I'm not inserting any bias into it because I want some honest feedback:

For dlc, do you think sakurai is going to do highly requested (i.e. geno, banjo and kazooie, etc), big names in the industry currently (sora, Steve, etc), or a mix of both?

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Honest question, and I'm not inserting any bias into it because I want some honest feedback:

For dlc, do you think sakurai is going to do highly requested (i.e. geno, banjo and kazooie, etc), big names in the industry currently (sora, Steve, etc), or a mix of both?
Probably both.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I'd say I can't believe we're still watering the Piranha Plant with salty tears instead of talking about all the footage we have this many hours later, but somehow I've grown to believe that very easily. I'm just going to ask a simple, direct question. How many of you play Super Smash Brothers? I don't mean talk about Super Smash Brothers online, I don't mean look at the character select screen and think about how great or awful certain things being "repped" is, I mean put a controller in your hand and actually play matches of Super Smash Brothers. I just see so little concern for how the experience of doing that is going to be and so much concern for honestly little things like what the roster is; it's so hard for me to understand that mentality at all.

So yeah, everyone else is salty, and I'm just hungry. I need this game in my hands as soon as possible. Seeing everything we saw today and then just having to wait; it's going to be a long, long month...
My family and I have been playing Smash Wii U consistently since 2014. Before that, I played Brawl for years. Before that, I played Melee for years.

I'm with you. My lack of salt obviously has to do with having received both Dark Samus and a Chibi-Robo Mii costume, both characters being my two most-wanted, plus Ridley. I feel bad for everyone who didn't get their character, but the only character in Smash I've ever been really attached to is R.O.B., and that wasn't until after I saw and played him in Brawl. I've never had a character leading up to a Smash release that was one I really wanted. Up to now, the excitement has been from everyone else's excitement for characters. In Smash 4, I spent most of the leadup to it just hoping R.O.B. wasn't cut.

Even if I had to stick with R.O.B. for the third game in a row, I'd still be picking the game up Day One. The huge gameplay improvements, all the new stages, all the returning veterans and other new characters, Spirits mode, better online... I look at the complete package. That's why, while I prefer Smash 4's style of gameplay, I prefer Brawl over both Melee and Smash 4. Because Brawl had SSE, great side modes, a good level editor, and the minimum characters I'd want. Even though Melee was my first, and Smash 4 was my most consistently-played, Brawl is the game I've always liked best.

Ultimate may or may not dethrone that with its huge amount of characters, stages, Spirits mode, and gameplay changes. Whether or not it's all substantial enough, we'll see. But that final cinematic for Spirits got me pretty emotional, and even though I know there won't be any more cutscenes, I'm pumped to play it.

The last time I've been this excited for an upcoming game was for Halo: Reach all the way back in 2010, and I felt that way only after E3, before Dark Samus was shown. It's going to take a lot more than a few disappointing newcomers to make me not want the game.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
The singing during the adventure mode was so bad.
Yeah, they didn't know how to sing.
Out of all the ways you can nonviolently solve conflicts
Then, why don't we start flirting with each other, whenever conflict springs up here?

I'd love to go around the thread, just flirting with people, to resolve heated arguments, and the like. :p

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
For the last time, Spirits don't deconfirm characters.

This is like those people who said Mewtwo couldn't be DLC because he already had a trophy in Smash 4.
Spirits don't deconfirm characters, but you need to understand the other side of the coins.

DLC characters were planned from the start.

They all comes with a Stage, Music, and a Fighter.
I'll be terribly honest, that ****ing Scream characters Sakurai could only make a deal for DLC like Third Parties and you will seriously need to convince me otherwise when Vergeben is still on a Perfect track record and still bank on a Square-Enix characters being first revealed, and Minecraft Content being in, probably DLC too.

Pirahna Plant probably have the "Come free" deal and already worked on because it didn't need a Stage or music at all being from the Mario Series, explaining why it's outside of the Season Pass Deal.

And with how hard Sakurai went on deconfirmation, such as Shadow, Isaac, Spring-man and Rex, It really boils down to like what? Next to nothing as First Party characters left.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Not to be too much of a weeb, but the Japanese version on the Smashbros website is better. That said I don't think the English is that bad
Liking a Japanese thing isn't being a weeb. Also same, but this can be applied to a lot of JPN-to-ENG songs.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Man, this fanbase can make me really irritated sometimes...

Demi-Fiend and Flynn for Ultimate DLC.
I'm fine with either or. Huge fan of the sword-gun thing they got going on but especially love the demon-man thing Demi-fiend is doing.
But boy oh boy would getting Jack Frost be super lame.

Imagine if we got Chocobo or Slime.
dissapoint.jpeg

Zeox

Smash Champion
Anyone has saw more bosses from Brawl or any hints of Rayquaza, Porky or Duon? Also, I really hope Petey Piranha is a boss too and not just the final Smash of Piranha Plant.

fools.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom