• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
With Verge being right about nearly everything, there's still SE content. Combined with Spawn Wave's hints, I feel like Sora's just too obvious to be at the Game Awards, so that's pretty much what I'm expecting now.

Though, if Verge was right about nearly everything--Oh boy, Minecraft content does worry me now. :urg:

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
You remeber when Sakurai said "when will I get a break?"

If he saw the way you all were acting right now, Im 100% sure he would go "Im done, they are very ungrateful" and im sure the peeps of Japan dont take kindly to that at all

he deserves a break, a long break, A permanent break aka retirement

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Well, none of the characters I was interested in were confirmed or denied, which is a blessing and a curse at this point. I actually enjoyed stickers quite a bit in Brawl so now that they've gotten upgraded and paired with challenges essentially I'm down. I do feel bad for the majority that liked trophies, though I never did much with them, I can still get the appeal. They're probably the weirdest cut to the game.

Well, Elma's still mysteriously MIA despite having so much Xeno content pop up in the direct, including Rex Mii costume and like two spirits for XC and three for XC2, plus music shown for both. Not even a bit of XCX content is a bit suspect to me

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
DLC characters were decided before the main roster cutoff though.

"We decided on which fighters to include when we started planning."

The five characters are already decided on. The only thing we can do is wait and see who makes the cut.

This is pretty intense lol.
Dang, knew I missed something. Best of luck then to everyone.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Let's do a mental exercise. Think of Metroid. Think of the essence of Metroid, what you like about the worlds, the music, everything! Think of the characters. Samus and Ridley are probably the first few you think of. Dark Samus probably shows up if you go a little further. Now think of Donkey Kong. DK and Diddy jump out for sure. King K. Rool follows close behind. How about Legend of Zelda? Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf all jump to mind immediately. Pokemon? Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo all instantly come to mind, with Lucario and Greninja showing up later. Let's try Mario! …How many characters did you think of before eventually coming to Geno? Geno's problem isn't a lack of interest or potential. It's that he's essentially a historical footnote in a series with a pantheon of regularly used and beloved characters. He's overshadowed by several characters in his own series to the point where people can easily be hardcore Mario fans, and never know who Geno is. This is something that most characters have never had to deal with before their inclusion. If you were a Donkey Kong or Metroid fan, you at least knew who K. Rool and Ridley were. Can you honestly say the same for Geno?
Good point, I feel most modern/casual fans would think of Funky Kong, Cranky Kong and Dixie Kong before King K. Rool. King K. Rool (like Ridley, Dark Samus, Chrom, etc.) is in because the fans wanted him. This led everyone to believe that this was the game for the fans, more than anything. That crocodile kind of tricked us, just like he tricked everyone at the end of Donkey Kong Country.

D

Deleted member

Tell that to the Geno fans.
Okay.
To geno fans,
I’d imagine people would b more receptive of pirahana plant if it weren’t a mario character. I’d imagine many people think “Seriosuly? Another Mario character?”.
I’d imagine I’m saying I’d imagine too much.

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry for the Geno fans, but i dont see it happening outside the base roster, no way in hell

KMDP

Smash Legend
At the risk of furthering Grinchgate, let me take my herbal supplements fortified with horse manure and put my Alex Jones hat on for a moment:

It's very possible the Grinch leak revealed all the DLC. As I've said, I thought the insiders must have reliable info that it was fake to be so quiet even though I thought they should have talked more openly, even if obliquely, about it. Turns out they did have solid data, but I've also said that i think Nintendo is running a Marvel Studios-esque smokescreen campaign when it comes to leaks (and did you see Thanos Hand in the trailer--I mean, that was a Final Dustination; Sakurai's obviously been watching the MCU).

Given that I find the Grinch leak so ridiculously elaborate that it's hard to believe it's fake, here's what I will call CC Theory for y'all's future reference.

Grinch leak is real. It is Fighter Pass. Shadow and Isaac are assist trophies AND fighters. That is the simple smokescreen Nintendo put out to confuse the data. If it leaks both ways, nobody knows who to believe. Those assist trophies will probably just not appear when someone is controlling Isaac or Shadow.

The Ken art looks very close on the Smash site and the banner. Omni: professional analysis please? The color looks off and maybe how the fire wraps around his arm, but the pose is nearly identical. Perhaps the result of a work in progress? After all, Fighter Pass is still a ways out from reveal.

If Grinch leak is real, Vergeben was right about everything, including the potential Microsoft rep and Square rep. After all, we have Geno and Banjo in the grinch banner.

Further supporting that, the other reliable source, Gaming Intel has potentially scooped an N64 Classic imminent announcement and that it will have Banjo Kazooie on it. Maybe the Banjo DLC will tie to the release as a cross promotional event.

Before you tell me the numbers don't add up because there are six unrevealed characters in the grinch leak and five in the Fighter Pass. Aha, well Sakurai said Smash Pass is for non-echoes. Presuming I'm right about Shadow being a dual character and assist, let's say he came in as a Sonic Echo. Maybe Echoes will be like Piranha Plant and not considered part of the Fighter Pass. If Shadow is indeed an echo, he wouldn't be part of Fighter Pass per Sakurai. By that logic, Geno, Isaac, Banjo, Mach Rider, and Chorus Kids are unique fighters to be available via Fighter Pass.

There is no retro rep. Why? We've had a retro rep every Smash except this one. I suppose you could argue that Piranha Plant or Ridley fit the bill, maybe Simon, but I mean a retro rep that has been dug out of obscurity and revived. We got our 3p rep--Simon, our fan favorite--Ridley and K. Rool, our WTF character--Piranha Plant. Where is the retro rep? Mach Rider.

To quote the philosopher Chanondorf: Suck my blank. Grinch Leak isn't dead yet.
Insiders: Incineroar is missing... and one other character.

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN!

Notice how none of them said the other guys wouldn't be in, just that Incineroar and "someone else" was missing.

The Grinch Leak and the Direct is just a stepping stone to a greater hype.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Last edited:

Chrono.

Anyways I'm fully expecting most of the Fighters Pass DLC to be third party oriented, maybe even all of it.

D

Deleted member

I like Piranha Plant, it kinda feels like Goomba in the new Mario Party. Smalltime dude get's his chance in the limelight.

You go, minion character! Imma give him a good go.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
But trophies don't do anything, they're just collectables for series that you can say you have. spirits are collectables that act the same as trophies(you can look at them and say you collected them) PLUS giving additional benefits with powerups. what's not to like?
Well I'm personally not excited for their gimmicky-ness for similar reasons I was "meh" on customization in Smash 4. Trophies were at least nice models I could admire with charming descriptions to go with them, meanwhile Spirits just use recycled artwork.

I understand why they didn't bring trophies back (the amount of resources it takes to make them all) but I am sad to see them go.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I was also disappointed that the CSS apparently has no option for organizing by series. He even kind of admitted it's a mess, but the order of introduction is killed by echoes.

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
Hello.

I am not going to attempt to read the backlog.

I give my condolences to the Isaac base.

I ask that we all try to remain as civil as possible.

For the fanbases who haven't been confirmed yet, I hope you continue to support your characters. There are at the very least, five future slots.

ExitWound

Smash Journeyman
DLC characters were decided before the main roster cutoff though.

"We decided on which fighters to include when we started planning."

The five characters are already decided on. The only thing we can do is wait and see who makes the cut.

This is pretty intense lol.
Calling it now; Goomba, Steve, Pidgey, Chozo, and Princess Elise

Untouch

Smash Master
I wonder if we're getting another 50 fact extravaganza, there's still some stuff we're missing (like HRC for example).

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Piranha Plant is very cozy in my secondaries list

Where my Plant Gang at
Little Shop of Horrors is one of my favorite movies.

I'm Plant Gang now.
I'm so in the gang, too! The picture of Piranha P. singing with Jigglypuff kills me. I can't believe I'm gonna be playing as Audrey II in Smash Bros! It definitely helps with the pain of losing Isaac, even though I had fully braced myself for Kencineroar being the case.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
The only thing that made me legit salty is the lack of demo.
C'mon Nintendo, some of us live in ****ty places with no means to get where they take the demos

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
An iconic enemy from Nintendo's flagship franchise that has existed for three decades doesn't deserve to be in Smash, but an irrelevant doll does? What world are you living in?
View attachment 174596
The problem is that nobody "deserves" a spot at all. Sakurai picks who he wants based on a number of factors. The hardcore community is only one factor, but on the forum, we act like we're the only factor.

Has anybody considered the idea that, I dunno. Sakurai and his team just really liked the challenge of putting in a truly WTF character and making him a new fan favorite?

Shroob

Sup?
So..........

Gonna make some people go a bit crazy here, but....

5 DLC characters+Stages, right?

Then why does the stage select screen have room for SIX stages? If we're not getting a DLC button, Random is accounted for, and Stage Builder seems to be gone.... why are there 6, not 5?

D

Deleted member

Sora is not a square enix character though. He is owned by Disney along with all of the other OC from Kingdom Hearts
I'm pretty sure as a courtesy, they have to go through Square anyway. And because its not an actual Disney character (no Disney fans would actually recognize him; only Kingdom Hearts fans), Disney probably wouldn't mind and just deflect permission on to Square for approval.

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
At the risk of furthering Grinchgate, let me take my herbal supplements fortified with horse manure and put my Alex Jones hat on for a moment:

It's very possible the Grinch leak revealed all the DLC. As I've said, I thought the insiders must have reliable info that it was fake to be so quiet even though I thought they should have talked more openly, even if obliquely, about it. Turns out they did have solid data, but I've also said that i think Nintendo is running a Marvel Studios-esque smokescreen campaign when it comes to leaks (and did you see Thanos Hand in the trailer--I mean, that was a Final Dustination; Sakurai's obviously been watching the MCU).

Given that I find the Grinch leak so ridiculously elaborate that it's hard to believe it's fake, here's what I will call CC Theory for y'all's future reference.

Grinch leak is real. It is Fighter Pass. Shadow and Isaac are assist trophies AND fighters. That is the simple smokescreen Nintendo put out to confuse the data. If it leaks both ways, nobody knows who to believe. Those assist trophies will probably just not appear when someone is controlling Isaac or Shadow.

The Ken art looks very close on the Smash site and the banner. Omni: professional analysis please? The color looks off and maybe how the fire wraps around his arm, but the pose is nearly identical. Perhaps the result of a work in progress? After all, Fighter Pass is still a ways out from reveal.

If Grinch leak is real, Vergeben was right about everything, including the potential Microsoft rep and Square rep. After all, we have Geno and Banjo in the grinch banner.

Further supporting that, the other reliable source, Gaming Intel has potentially scooped an N64 Classic imminent announcement and that it will have Banjo Kazooie on it. Maybe the Banjo DLC will tie to the release as a cross promotional event.

Before you tell me the numbers don't add up because there are six unrevealed characters in the grinch leak and five in the Fighter Pass. Aha, well Sakurai said Smash Pass is for non-echoes. Presuming I'm right about Shadow being a dual character and assist, let's say he came in as a Sonic Echo. Maybe Echoes will be like Piranha Plant and not considered part of the Fighter Pass. If Shadow is indeed an echo, he wouldn't be part of Fighter Pass per Sakurai. By that logic, Geno, Isaac, Banjo, Mach Rider, and Chorus Kids are unique fighters to be available via Fighter Pass.

There is no retro rep. Why? We've had a retro rep every Smash except this one. I suppose you could argue that Piranha Plant or Ridley fit the bill, maybe Simon, but I mean a retro rep that has been dug out of obscurity and revived. We got our 3p rep--Simon, our fan favorite--Ridley and K. Rool, our WTF character--Piranha Plant. Where is the retro rep? Mach Rider.

To quote the philosopher Chanondorf: Suck my blank. Grinch Leak isn't dead yet.
I would believe, but most of the characters in the grinch leak were just HARD deconfirmed with this direct. And I didn’t see a mention of echoes being a part of dlc either :(

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Whoever said that "wow if the grinch leak is fake this will be the first smash direct with more dislikes than likes".

Screenshot_3.png

lmao

nobody cares

Last edited:

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
So..........

Then why does the stage select screen have room for SIX stages? If we're not getting a DLC button, Random is accounted for, and Stage Builder seems to be gone.... why are there 6, not 5?
Either there's going to be another stage added as free DLC or something (Smash 4 got some free updates) or maybe stage builder will be added as DLC.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
I am legit over the moon about Piranha Plant. It is every single thing I wanted from a Smash newcomer but never thought I'd get. I didn't think I'd ever be this excited about a Smash character again.

Noipoi

Howdy!
So..........

P O K E F L O A T S

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
No idea if this has been brought up or not but there's no amiibo on the character line up for Incineroar or Trainer/Squirtle/Ivysaur. There is one however for Pichu and Pirahna Plant, with the former requiring going through TPC just like the others and the latter isn't in the base game while Incineroar is. Just something to speculate for those who wanted a Trainer/Squirtle/Ivysaur amiibo.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

So...there's no point in pushing characters for DLC then? I might take a break from all this, lol.
Considering they know the number is five and they expect them all to be released in just over a year, the most likely scenario is that the five have already been decided and the project plan is complete.

There's a slight, very small, tiny sliver of a possibility that the final character or two aren't decided yet and could be determined by fan demand. Though it isn't the most likely possibility.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I wonder if we're getting another 50 fact extravaganza, there's still some stuff we're missing (like HRC for example).
That makes sense... it be wild if there was some high tier japes set out by Sakurai in this...

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So it seems like the Fighter Pass will end on Feb. 2020
It could, it could not.

"It may take a year or so to finish releasing all of the DLC."

I feel like the fine text under the fighter pack when its initially revealed is more precautionary, like it's setting a definitive timespan when all the five fighters are revealed. We may get them all sooner than that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom