• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan_Sic

Smash Rookie
Honestly I was in a state of WTF during the entire thing. I was #TeamRealButNotTakingItAsConfirmedPerse, and this was really surprising. Then DLC got announced, and the wtf character for this game was revealed (I know it's a mayor let down for people, but for me, WTF characters are a must in Smash and the plant seems fun as hell) and now I feel really hyped.

I got the Belmonts (which I never though would come to Smash... ever), Dark Samus (see the Belmonts) and F***** RDIDLEY!!! (see the Belmonts X 10).

This is incredibly fine by me, I would have only changed the pace and order of reveals if I was in charge of that.

Overall, still looks like the best entry in the series, both in roster, production values, gameplay and Newcomers, IMO.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

How to ruin fans' reactions on their favorite characters lesson 101

Seriously, that was quite a number of fighters that got deconfirmed. Isaac, Shadow, Skull Kid, Black Knight, Rex and Pyra, Spring Man, Dillon, the list goes on.

But there are still fighters who have a solid chance like Dixie, Banjo, and Geno

D

Deleted member

can all of us agree that we would've rathered Zoe Trent over Piranha Plant
c'mon guys at least give me this one

Untouch

Smash Master
It feels to me like we're only getting 1 DLC pack which is pretty odd to me personally, especially how Nintendo said they wanted to push more for DLC.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Anyone who thinks the Grinch leak has any chance of still being real, stop. It's over. 2/5 of the characters in it are assists. That alone is a giveaway.

DerpyDrago

Smash Rookie
I’m happy incineroar is in but I feel awful for the people who got their hopes up with the grinch leak. Really hoping the remaining for make it in as dlc. And to Isaac and shadow fans I’m so sorry.also piranha plant has to be the most wtf fighther lol that said I kind of want to play as him
I am sad about Shadow :(. Still, gonna try and get my boy Phoenix Wright in if there is another Smash Ballot. Though I know it will probably be Banjo.

bbybae

Smash Cadet
Honestly World of Light looks hype ... now that I'm over the depression from all the deconfirms I'm all on the story mode train

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
I just realized. The 108 stages thing from CoroCoro was a mistake. That's fine though. We'll get more for DLC!
Yeah this has been warned since forever, but it never made any sense for CoroCoro to know anything any other publication didn't.

I'll say it again. Visually......... a 3 is almost an 8........

Noipoi

Howdy!
Whoever faked the Grinch leak must have a huge galaxy brain because Jesus Christ the amount of effort in that "leak" is ridiculous.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
This attack is based on the Putrid Piranha, which only ever appeared in the Paper Mario series. Therefore, Piranha Plant technically counts as a Mario RPG rep as well. It's the little things, I tell ya.
View attachment 174615
I mean
Poison_Piranha_Plant.jpg

Obviously recolored to be like the Putrid Piranha, yes, but Peach has been using a frying pan since Melee.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Top 5 characters for DLC:

1. Medusa
2. Matthew
3. Elma
4. Geno
5. Chorus Kids

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
So..........

Gonna make some people go a bit crazy here, but....

5 DLC characters+Stages, right?

Then why does the stage select screen have room for SIX stages? If we're not getting a DLC button, Random is accounted for, and Stage Builder seems to be gone.... why are there 6, not 5?
I have a theory that Geno/Forest Maze will be a free addition at some point in the game. Geno is in a super weird spot for being as obscure as he is. Square is probably going to prioritize Sora with Sakurai, so feel like the other DLC slots will not be Square related in the end.

It's just a stupid theory I'm holding out for, but I'm like 90% sure about Sora and Banjo due to KH3 and the N64 classic possibly leading to Microsoft/Nintendo agreements. Unless somehow Minecraft takes that spot lol.

osby

Smash Obsessed
can all of us agree that we would've rathered Zoe Trent over Piranha Plant
c'mon guys at least give me this one
Sorry, I still prefer a Nintendo character and it's kinda funny how everyone is furious over a joke character.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
I apologize to everyone as a French for Eric Bricard for a fellow french man ruined everything ! Sorry in advance.

I feel too kinda underwhelmed by this 40 minutes Smash Bros final reveal.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I just realized. The 108 stages thing from CoroCoro was a mistake. That's fine though. We'll get more for DLC!
Technically it wasn't. It was just a year or so too early. (I mean, it was totally a misprint).

There's going to be Five Characters as Season 1 DLC (not including PP), each of which comes with a Stage and a selection of music.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Current Thought Process:

SUPER SMASH BROS: INFINITY WAR CONFIRMED! I ****ING CALLED IT--!
Not gonna lie, watching that cinematic stung me just as badly as Infinity War's ending.
IT'S A STORY MODE, TOO--!
Guys, of course Kirby's the one that survived. I sure as **** don't want to be stuck with Mario and his stupid*** F.L.U.D.D. for the early game.
I CAN'T WAIT TO FIGHT THAT STUPID PURPLE CAR ROBOT I CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAME OF IN A STORY MODE THAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY LIKE--!
Do we still get to unlock characters through Amiibo or nah?
THAT'S A LOTTA MASTER HANDS--!
They better not be bringing back those goddamn vegetable enemies from SSE, or I'm going to have some very mean things to say to this restaurant's manager.
AQUA GOT NORTED WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY--!
Oh wow, Voice Acting in Smash. Well, it worked out for Kid Icarus: Uprising and Fire Emblem Warriors, so there's that at least--
EVERYONE IS DEAD--!
Everyone is going to be pissed when they find out that weird glowy thing that killed everyone was actually a metaphor for the fanbase the entire time.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
While I completely hated this direct, Spirits mode, don't like Incineroar and think Piranha Plant is the most stupid character in the franchise...
This game is trying to be "for the fans".
K.Rool and Ridley were well requested characters that Sakurai decided to finally work.
We also got Inkling (high requested) and Simon.
Isabelle was a popular pick that seems easier to implement.

That being said, I don't think Geno is completely out of picture.
Sakurai recognized the fanbase behind him years ago.
He said prior that Mach Rider, Takamaru and others were not picked because they weren't famous enough.
Now we have Piranha Plant. Piranha plant is not even a character, it's a type of enemy.
It's the same as Koopa, or Hammer bros. The whole "not important enough" it's over.
Geno can happen. I'm very confident about Dixie too.
I can only imagine what if felt to be a Geno supporter and see Piranha Plant be announced.
When I saw Mario characters with stars floating over her heads I was quite sure that Geno would appear.
What a waste. And I see a lot of people going "Oh, so out of the box. Great gameplay. Incredible choice"
Wii Fit Trainer was a out of the box character with interesting gameplay. This is crap.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So here's the question. Is the final boss wing-thing in Spirits going to turn out to be:
A. Tabuu
B. Master Core
C. Giygas
D. A brand new dumb Smash OC

Last edited:

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
I would believe, but most of the characters in the grinch leak were just HARD deconfirmed with this direct. And I didn’t see a mention of echoes being a part of dlc either :(
You didn't hear that they weren't either. It would be such easy money. They just wouldn't be part of Fighter Pass. IMO, there is no rule that Geno couldn't go from Spirit to Fighter or Isaac and Shadow couldn't make the same transition from assist.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Now the true post-hype event begins: The Hunt for the Grinch Hoaxer.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
2 things to note in case anyone didn't notice here yet. Geno is a Spirit and Bandana Dee's "Hat Goomba" argument is dead now
EDIT: If any mad Geno fanboys are gonna get mad at me **** off. Also Spirits can be fighters too so wait a while. Perhaps we'll see him later

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, what hurts the most is that this more or less kills the idea of newer 1st party DLC characters.

Rex and Spring Man were "Shoo-ins" for DLC, and, well.......rip in pieces.

TheoreticalMyth

Smash Cadet

How to ruin fans' reactions on their favorite characters lesson 101

Seriously, that was quite a number of fighters that got deconfirmed. Isaac, Shadow, Skull Kid, Black Knight, Rex and Pyra, Spring Man, Dillon, the list goes on.

But there are still fighters who have a solid chance like Dixie, Banjo, and Geno
Wasn't Dixie shown to be a spirit in the direct? I don't think that deconfirms them but I don't think a character can come back from that.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Sakurai confirmed that DLC characters aren't echoes.
It was explicit said in the direct.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
So if there are no trophies why even bother playing classic mode?

And, the fact that plant is dlc means that Thwomp couldve easily been the dlc fighter instead, but no, he got btfod into AT. I cant have my ****post fighter. Plant looks fun i admit

Send me to a different timeline

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Yeah but its well established Nintendo does not care.

They don't end on hype reveals, they start with them.

They need to make sure those pre orders come as early as possible.
Only thing we can say for sure, they have done pretty hype DLC picks (at least most of them) for smash 4, and we get 5 of them this time. There's also the possibility of secret surprises along the way, who knows.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
It’s really depressing when the August brought more hype than this.

Final Ultimate Direct and these characters have all been deconfirmed.

-Isaac
-Shadow
-Geno
-Rex
-Spring Man
-Dixie
-Shantae
-Black Knight
-Skull Kid
-Chibi Robo

And characters who technically aren’t deconfirmed but probably aren’t getting in anyway.
-Banjo-Kazooie
-Bandana Dee
-Mach Rider
-Chorus Kids

and a generic plant gets added over them.

I don’t expect DLC to be better since there probably won’t even be a Ballot this time.

This is NOT how you build hype, in fact this Direct alone killed a lot of it especially for a game called Ultimate.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I'm still laughing over Piranha Plant. That is such a random character and it actually looks like it fits in. The Piranha Plant Posse is going to be too fun next year!

Already got the digital game downloaded and bought the season pass because I had enough gold coins to get it for free.

Also I know this is controversial, but I really like how they cut a lot of the excess fat in the game and really focused on streamlining the experience:
  • trophies are gone, which I think is great because they were a total waste of time. Instead, their successor is actually incorporated into the game as a major mechanic while still letting collectors collect them all (there's probably like 10,000 of them).
  • side modes like HRC are really just time-wasters that don't really serve a purpose. Canning them helped us get Smashdown and Squad Strike, and that cool looking Century Smash
  • stage builder was always gimped by some arbitrary decisions so instead of making it suck again, they put the dev time towards something very polished
  • in general, if we lost all of the side non-Smash modes for the adventure mode, I think that's a great deal because this one looks like they fixed all of the problems with Subspace. Seriously, that world is huge! The replay value is probably insane too.
So..........

Gonna make some people go a bit crazy here, but....

5 DLC characters+Stages, right?

Then why does the stage select screen have room for SIX stages? If we're not getting a DLC button, Random is accounted for, and Stage Builder seems to be gone.... why are there 6, not 5?
Training mode stage has to be selectable somehow. They'll reuse the menu and just put it in the last box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom