• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
So... 69 is incineroar.

I feel bad for him. He's living with a burning sensation in his groin

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
So tell me: How many of you are actually not gonna buy the game because of this Direct?
I need to gauge whether I was right about the community’s reaction to the game or not.
This direct made me wanna buy the game surprisingly
Sakurai will always do whatever he wants and disapoint a lot of the fanbase.
lol you make it sound lime Sakurai works for you

He owes yall nothin, yall aint his wife

Last edited:

JoshOmega

Smash Rookie
The symbol on those die look like the symbol for Nobodies from Kingdom Hearts and we're still pretty sure there's a character from Square to be included
They kind of do actually. We shall see! Definitely wouldn’t mind Sora to make it in!

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
If I understood right Piranha Plant is a bonus character not part of the 5 DLC character in the season pass right ? So overall the roster is 76 character + 5 DLC + 1 Bonus character ?

Ultimately that will be 82 Character in total at the end ?

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
At the risk of furthering Grinchgate, let me take my herbal supplements fortified with horse manure and put my Alex Jones hat on for a moment:

It's very possible the Grinch leak revealed all the DLC. As I've said, I thought the insiders must have reliable info that it was fake to be so quiet even though I thought they should have talked more openly, even if obliquely, about it. Turns out they did have solid data, but I've also said that i think Nintendo is running a Marvel Studios-esque smokescreen campaign when it comes to leaks (and did you see Thanos Hand in the trailer--I mean, that was a Final Dustination; Sakurai's obviously been watching the MCU).

Given that I find the Grinch leak so ridiculously elaborate that it's hard to believe it's fake, here's what I will call CC Theory for y'all's future reference.

Grinch leak is real. It is Fighter Pass. Shadow and Isaac are assist trophies AND fighters. That is the simple smokescreen Nintendo put out to confuse the data. If it leaks both ways, nobody knows who to believe. Those assist trophies will probably just not appear when someone is controlling Isaac or Shadow.

The Ken art looks very close on the Smash site and the banner. Omni: professional analysis please? The color looks off and maybe how the fire wraps around his arm, but the pose is nearly identical. Perhaps the result of a work in progress? After all, Fighter Pass is still a ways out from reveal.

If Grinch leak is real, Vergeben was right about everything, including the potential Microsoft rep and Square rep. After all, we have Geno and Banjo in the grinch banner.

Further supporting that, the other reliable source, Gaming Intel has potentially scooped an N64 Classic imminent announcement and that it will have Banjo Kazooie on it. Maybe the Banjo DLC will tie to the release as a cross promotional event.

EDIT: Even more evidence to this effect is that Vergeben mentioned the possibility that the Square rep was going to be DLC.

Before you tell me the numbers don't add up because there are six unrevealed characters in the grinch leak and five in the Fighter Pass. Aha, well Sakurai said Smash Pass is for non-echoes. Presuming I'm right about Shadow being a dual character and assist, let's say he came in as a Sonic Echo. Maybe Echoes will be like Piranha Plant and not considered part of the Fighter Pass. If Shadow is indeed an echo, he wouldn't be part of Fighter Pass per Sakurai. By that logic, Geno, Isaac, Banjo, Mach Rider, and Chorus Kids are unique fighters to be available via Fighter Pass.

There is no retro rep. Why? We've had a retro rep every Smash except this one. I suppose you could argue that Piranha Plant or Ridley fit the bill, maybe Simon, but I mean a retro rep that has been dug out of obscurity and revived. We got our 3p rep--Simon, our fan favorite--Ridley and K. Rool, our WTF character--Piranha Plant. Where is the retro rep? Mach Rider.

To quote the philosopher Chanondorf: Suck my blank. Grinch Leak isn't dead yet.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Maybe he's the Dr. Strange and let himself go because he knew Kirbs was going to take care of them.
Heh, maybe.

But he didn't even get a chance to do anything. That's actually even worse than that one moment I referenced.

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
Fellas I gotta say, the fact that they got rid of trophies is genuinely the most disappointing ****.

The ”spirits” are just glorified stickers. They aren’t worth collecting. I hate them.
I agree, I forgot to mention in my overview, but the fact that trophies are gone now and being replaced with gacha-esque bull**** just KILLED me.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Did anyone mark the **** out when Incineroar did the German Suplex? As a pro wrestling fan, I went nuts knowing how great this would be

D

Deleted member

I’m very curious in what Sakurai is going to say in his famitsu column.
Feel bad for Isaac fans though.
Overall for me I’d say the direct was like a 5/10. I’m pretty much neutral on it.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I agree. I was just saying I wish he wasn't coming out 3 months after release, but I understand if they couldn't develop him in time. That also explains why other characters like Skullkid and Geno couldn't get in, if they didn't even have time to finish Petey. (And he was probably a "easy last minute" addition)
I get theres a joke character but theyve always been representative of lesser known nintendo history.. Why couldn't it be something like the Virtual Boy or something. Mario doesn't need a random mook rep.. Heck even Waluigi would be too much Mario.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
As it pertains to what Sakurai said about Rex: I'm quite confused. He said (wrote it verbatim) "We decided which characters to include when we started planning, so we couldn't add characters from titles like XC2, which was announced after planning was started".

Does this imply the DLC sets were planned at the same time the roster was? Otherwise what's the point of saying that about Rex if you're gonna say immediately after (also verbatim) "We've yet to create any of the DLC and we haven't locked down any release dates, but we'll start working on them after we're finished with the main game". It's perplexing.
Moreover, Smash 4 had its first DLC character revealed on the 50 Fact Extravaganza before the game's release. Corrin, whose game was revealed at the start of 2015, was part of the DLC despite releasing AFTER Smash 4 was out and well after the planning was done for that game. Was DLC planning done on this game at the same time the roster was?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Ok just peeked into what has happened in the livestream in the past half hour or so and gotta say, giving the Villager other skin colors is the best thing in this game , buying 100 copies.

obviously /s but I was confused why he didn't have them at E3 and glad to see they changed that.

D

Deleted member

Don't expect anything from Square at this point. FF has no new content AT ALL, no music and no assists. Pretty sure Cloud is going to be an exception as far as SE content is concerned.
I'll be watching the Direct live and likely react back on the NintenZone Social(unless we have a dedicated Direct thread). Some final considerations:
-The Grinch is fake
-Incineroar and Ken are in
-Box theory is right

-Geno is the first DLC, free to Online subscriptors
-Isaac and Shadow are back as assists
-Mach Rider and Chrous Kid are just a trophies
-Banjo is not even in
-Skull Kid is a boss
Now the pessimistic predictions:
-No new FE characters
-Robin's new FS is just a lazily done Ignis
-New Xenoblade content is limited to a XCX Medley
-Hitmonchan does not appear as Little Mac's Echo Fighter
-Atlus has no content in the game

-Rayman is still a mere trophy
-Wonder-Red doesn't even get promoted into AT
-There are no other new bosses besides Dracula and Rathalos, all remaining bosses are from SSE.

-Online doesn't allow you to play on Battlefield forms.
Really not a fan of how much of this I got right, specially the last one.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
SAKURAI. ****ING. KNOWS.
THIS DIRECT IS PROOF THE REASON HE DOES THIS IS TO PISS PEOPLE OFF.
Yeah Sakurai totally hates his fans, which is why he brought back every veteran, went back on what he said about Ridley needing to be large and revived an irrelevant character just to make people happy. He wants as all to squirm and suffer and not buy his game.:4pacman:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
So what's nice is Ken isn't a normal echo and he actually has his signature moves. Seemingly no collar bone breaker or donkey kick, he actually got treated really well.

kylexv

Smash Master
Also, Isabelle is looking more similar to Villager than I thought
F-Tilt, and all of her aerials except N-Air are the same.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
At the risk of furthering Grinchgate, let me take my herbal supplements fortified with horse manure and put my Alex Jones hat on for a moment:

It's very possible the Grinch leak revealed all the DLC. As I've said, I thought the insiders must have reliable info that it was fake to be so quiet even though I thought they should have talked more openly, even if obliquely, about it. Turns out they did have solid data, but I've also said that i think Nintendo is running a Marvel Studios-esque smokescreen campaign when it comes to leaks (and did you see Thanos Hand in the trailer--I mean, that was a Final Dustination; Sakurai's obviously been watching the MCU).

Given that I find the Grinch leak so ridiculously elaborate that it's hard to believe it's fake, here's what I will call CC Theory for y'all's future reference.

Grinch leak is real. It is Fighter Pass. Shadow and Isaac are assist trophies AND fighters. That is the simple smokescreen Nintendo put out to confuse the data. If it leaks both ways, nobody knows who to believe. Those assist trophies will probably just not appear when someone is controlling Isaac or Shadow.

The Ken art looks very close on the Smash site and the banner. Omni: professional analysis please? The color looks off and maybe how the fire wraps around his arm, but the pose is nearly identical. Perhaps the result of a work in progress? After all, Fighter Pass is still a ways out from reveal.

If Grinch leak is real, Vergeben was right about everything, including the potential Microsoft rep and Square rep. After all, we have Geno and Banjo in the grinch banner.

Further supporting that, the other reliable source, Gaming Intel has potentially scooped an N64 Classic imminent announcement and that it will have Banjo Kazooie on it. Maybe the Banjo DLC will tie to the release as a cross promotional event.

Before you tell me the numbers don't add up because there are six unrevealed characters in the grinch leak and five in the Fighter Pass. Aha, well Sakurai said Smash Pass is for non-echoes. Presuming I'm right about Shadow being a dual character and assist, let's say he came in as a Sonic Echo. Maybe Echoes will be like Piranha Plant and not considered part of the Fighter Pass. If Shadow is indeed an echo, he wouldn't be part of Fighter Pass per Sakurai. By that logic, Geno, Isaac, Banjo, Mach Rider, and Chorus Kids are unique fighters to be available via Fighter Pass.

There is no retro rep. Why? We've had a retro rep every Smash except this one. I suppose you could argue that Piranha Plant or Ridley fit the bill, maybe Simon, but I mean a retro rep that has been dug out of obscurity and revived. We got our 3p rep--Simon, our fan favorite--Ridley and K. Rool, our WTF character--Piranha Plant. Where is the retro rep? Mach Rider.

Buddy.... just let it go....

Waluigi wasn't a AT fake out and neither are Isaac or Shadow

MainJPW

M.T.A
Also feel awful for Isaac fans, despite not having played his game myself. The teasing was not necessary, at all. Isaac and Shadow fans should have both been let down along with Ashley's fans.
I'm bewildered at Shadow still being an AT. Months of people expecting him as an echo after the reveal of Richter and due to being MIA then everyone just gets BTFO'd.

Don't ever expect anything from a Smash game. 'Cept Inklings.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
piranha plant recolors.png

They showed off all 8 of Piranha Plant's recolors in his trailer, and his design is simple, so I made this.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
lmao some of you already making rules that are gonna be broken next year

"they appeared as a spirit/mii costume. rip no dlc for them guys...."

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Don't expect anything from Square at this point. FF has no new content AT ALL, no music and no assists. Pretty sure Cloud is going to be an exception as far as SE content is concerned.

Really not a fan of how much of this I got right, specially the last one.
How is “no new FE characters” a pessimistic prediction
If anything it’s an optimistic one

D

Deleted member

Oh, and they didn't even went big on the Xenoblade music either and chose the most predictable ****ing choices from Xenoblade 2.

Just **** everything, man.

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
Fellas I gotta say, the fact that they got rid of trophies is genuinely the most disappointing ****.

The ”spirits” are just glorified stickers. They aren’t worth collecting. I hate them.
Honestly slimming down the collectibles which do nothing is a fine move. Brawl had both trophies and stickers, and Smash 4 had all those customs and equipment.

Atlas2398

Smash Cadet
I agree, I forgot to mention in my overview, but the fact that trophies are gone now and being replaced with gacha-esque bull**** just KILLED me.
But trophies don't do anything, they're just collectables for series that you can say you have. spirits are collectables that act the same as trophies(you can look at them and say you collected them) PLUS giving additional benefits with powerups. what's not to like?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Geno still has a chance since the 5 DLC characters will be brand new and Sakurai explained that they haven't started work just yet. If you really want Geno to be in this game, now is the time. You HAVE to make your voice be heard.

That being said, my heart sunk to the ground seeing most characters in the Grinch fake leak deconfirmed. I was dreading my visit back here because I kind of knew what the response was going to be.
DLC characters were decided before the main roster cutoff though.

"We decided on which fighters to include when we started planning."

The five characters are already decided on. It's why characters like Rex and Spring Man didn't make it, because DLC was already decided.

Fan demand could come into play with a potential Season 2, but for now the only thing we can do is wait and see who makes the cut.

This is pretty intense lol.

Last edited:

Chrono.

So what's nice is Ken isn't a normal echo and he actually has his signature moves. Seemingly no collar bone breaker or donkey kick, he actually got treated really well.
I kept saying this would be the case and no one listened.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord

This makes some sense but Two major flaws
One no Incineroar.
Two they proably wouldnt graveyard two characters as assists prominently in a direct only fo rthem to be DLC later.

(also no Sora, **** yall i want him now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom