• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Very disappointed that Rex's chances have effectively been killed, but the twist of fate with the Box coming back almost makes up for everything.

Looks like y'all got Grinched.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I honestly can’t see how anyone can say “oh well Sakurai doesn’t MEAN to say “**** you” to the fans of any single character that gets deconfirmed” after that Direct.
Like this is proof that “never ask me for anything ever again” isn’t a meme. Sakurai intentionally framed this to deconfirm as many characters as possible. I don’t understand how anyone can’t see that.

Polar Bair

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jac398
I'll be honest, I did feel the same way about Piranha Plant at first. It makes this game look like those giant joke rosters with every character you can think of on it.
20181101_124550.jpg
But it actually looks more interesting than a lot of characters gameplay-wise. I'm warming up to it already.

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
I was afraid for a second that I wouldnt get piranha for free because I had a physical, luckily we do according the treehouse. So I guess thats the wtf character.

So, my opinion on everything. Isaac is dead. Which sucks so much, because i was almost believing the leak after that healing sprout was revealed. But now there is no chance for him as a dlc character. I did get Incineroar, he uses wrestling moves and I am very glad for that. It might replace charizard for me. He looks awesome amd seriously I hope everyone backs off when the salt lowers. My characters always get blasted on

Though don't get me wrong, I would have traded in Incineroar if I could for 6 other characters even though he was one I anticipated and wanted a lot. I am so happy I kept my expectations low after the Soul Calibur 6 leaks.

I do have to say, Piranha Plant(not even pete) does sting after seeing Isaac disconfirmed (atleast he takes the heat of Incineroar a bit) However in a strange twist of fate.

I wanted a plant based character, instead I got a plant.

Which is sort of hilarious to me and he looks really fun actually.

Spirits mode at first began to feel like pokemon in the direct. Except you are trainig stickers and fighting with the trainer instead. It seems interesting enough for me to play. Especially if they have more of those awesome cutscenes.

I am still very excited because I hyped so responsibly. Probably gonna get the fighter pass. 5 characters, with 5 stages, is awesome regardless of who they are gonna be. Not to mention new music.

Of my top 5 I wanted:

Skullkid and Isaac are dead.

Incineroar is in.

Heihachi and Sora are still in the running.

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
I'm super pumped about everything they announced...except the Online mode. I'm concerned that it's a step backwards from 4 (which was ****).
I don't know, being able to play more competitive games with people on stages other than Omega is pretty nice if you ask me. I'm looking forward to that.

GSP is still a lame way to rank players, though.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Pretty disappointed and empty.

If the Grinch leak never happened, I might've been a little bit more okay with what we were presented with today.

But the fact that it was 40 minutes of mostly fluff modes that I don't care about and two characters I ultimately am not hyped for made it an astonishingly deflating experience. I feel for all the fans of all the newly deconfirmed characters. It was a massacre.
I understand.

Whoever made the grinch leak really let down a lot of people, in a sense.

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman
We’re getting more brand new DLC than Smash 4. There were 7 smash 4 DLC characters but 3 were veterans. So we’re getting one more than last time which is good I guess

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
After taking 2 hours to take in the direct's reveals, I'm actually still pretty happy.

Piranha plant looks awesome and is truly WTF - it didn't necessarily deserve to be in the game, but I'm happy it's going to be in. That reach looks crazy.

Incineroar happily surprised me and love the personality.

Ken also looks cool somehow. He also has personality.

Sad about Banjo, Mach Rider, and a lack of modes, but can someone clarify for me if world of light IS actually spirits? I know they're connected, but the modes seem different? I'm a bit confused, World of Light actually looks cool especially if there are cutscenes (I'd say yes for sure).

Still, RIP Skull Kid, Shadow, Issac - especially Skull Kid, who literally was deconfirmed through the website's assist trophy page.

Considering LeakyPanda went all in on him being a boss, I think that account is no longer trustworthy.

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
What if I don't consider the other content worth enough to justify my purchase?
Kind of in this basket as I was banking on some memorable single player content to really sell me (the game and the system). Loved the cutscene, but I'm fairly certain it will be one off, maybe with another one at the end.

If I already had a Switch, I'd get it at release, but as it stands, eh. Played BotW on Wii U, still no news on Prime 4... it's just this and Odyssey.

Will wait to see how the general play, matchmaking, connectivity, and rule preference thing is. I want to be able to improve at the game without being matched with tryhard-ish Clouds that ruin my vibe 50% of the time. I also want to be able to play my favorites like Ganondorf and Ridley without being punished for it.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I wasn't disappointed by the direct, but personally I would've revealed Incineroar earlier and saved Ridley and K Rool for last.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Piranha Plant has given us something!

Chrom actually does emote!!!!
Chrom: WHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYY!?
Piranha Plant: Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk.
---
Also, I felt so sad for Shulk and his vision.
Got major Fiora vibes from that one moment
Shulk: Guys, I don't feel so good... *disintegrated*

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Top 5 dlc characters:

1. Medusa
2. Geno
3. Elma
4. Skull Kid
5. Chorus Kids

Honorable mention: Matthew

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Want a hug? We can cry about this BS together as one.
I haven't become a Geno fan until the past couple of months, yet even as someone who's always wanted Banjo-Kazooie or Ninten, I felt that Geno was the one character truly needed to make Ultimate's roster feel complete. Any flaw with the game would be irrelevant, as it would become my favourite game of all time. Don't get me wrong, it's still in my top three (top five if the rest of the DLC characters are as dumb), but not finishing off the trio, and dumbing him down to a profile picture, doesn't seem right.

Also feel awful for Isaac fans, despite not having played his game myself. The teasing was not necessary, at all. Isaac and Shadow fans should have both been let down along with Ashley's fans.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I just realized. Everything I said about Toad not being able to be playable in Smash has been completely rendered obsolete by Sakurai with the addition of Piranha Plant. I'm sorry Toad fans.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Dude.

I'm a Waluigi AND Captain Toad supporter, and I unironically think this is the better outcome. I've been talking about the idea of a playable Mario mook since I was kid playing Brawl 10 years ago. To see this idea kid me had actually come to fruition? That was the best dang reveal of the whole game. Heck, I might even like it a little more than Inklings. It's so bizarre, so random, so...perfectly Nintendo. This is the kind of stuff I want from Smash: Not the expected, not the predictable, but the truly impressive feat of making me want something I never knew I wanted.
It's great that you can get hyped for such an off the wall character choice. Just saying other fans may not feel like that and would have prefered other more popular picks from the Mario side alone over a quirky moveset from a mook.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I wasn't disappointed by the direct, but personally I would've revealed Incineroar earlier and saved Ridley and K Rool for last.

Oh definitely, Sakurai/Nintendo have continued the tradition of being absolutely ASS with character reveal order.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
The symbol on those die look like the symbol for Nobodies from Kingdom Hearts and we're still pretty sure there's a character from Square to be included
Sora Game Awards Leak confirmed??? I mean it could be another chair... could be another rope bridge and barrel...

Anyways I would like for more dlc fighters tbh...

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
So now that the site isn't totally broken. How's everyone doing with the news?
Still awaiting the 4Chan salt screencaps. This was a great direct with highs and lows.

~Piranha Plant main right here, picking him up the moment he rolls around
~Incineroar is a lot tinier than I expected him to be
~I have a gut feeling that the ATs recieving full-fledged movesets may be a hint for the next game, namely that we'll be seeing an influx of new fighters by then
~Calling it now, the villain of World of Light is Broly (who else do you know who destroyed an entire galaxy, hm?)
~Seriously, lemme see the salt from 4Chan - no, wait, even better, bring on the salt from as many nooks online as you possibly can!
~Hey, at least we won't be paying $60+ for the DLC this time around
~Listen up; fighters can still show up as spirits, so spirits aren't direct deconfirms (Shantae plz)

So, yeah, same ol' direct, same ol' salt storm, same ol' fandom warfare, and you know what? I feel just fine. Just try not to gloat or threaten those you disagree with, yeah? You'll make yourself look just like the 3 Waluigi cyberbullies.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I had this made months ago and now I can finally use it.

May drop someone for Simon, or just add Simon.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
If he is, now I have the option not to buy him.

So I'm fine.
The possibility of Steve, or some other inane third party I have zero interest in, is the entire reason I'm not blindly buying the season pass.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
An iconic enemy from Nintendo's flagship franchise that has existed for three decades doesn't deserve to be in Smash, but an irrelevant doll does? What world are you living in?
View attachment 174596
Just because Piranha Plant is an “iconic enemy” doesn’t mean it truly deserved to get into the game, especially when there was plenty of other options for fighters other than him and Geno. Essentially nobody asked for a generic Piranha Plant, (but I’ve seen a few requests here and there for Petey who they could’ve tried shrinking down like Ridley) and I’m still trying to find evidence of why he was deserving to be a fighter alongside the rest of the roster, comprised of “gaming’s finest”. And even though Geno is arguably “irrelevant,” he has been constantly requested by fans, and even considered by Sakurai, who expressed interest in his gun arm. There’s obviously a reason as to why the Geno Mii Fighter costume announcement in the final Smash 4 presentation was presented as a big thing.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
The hate towards Piranha Plant is unwarranted. That moveset looks like the most unique, off the wall thing we've ever gotten, and makes it the best What the Peck character we've ever had. I honestly don't think anything will ever top Piranha Plant for me, that thing's freakin' nuts, and I've already decided it's my main next to Inklings. In previous games, it was Wario and Luigi for me. For Ultimate, it's gonna be Inkling and Piranha Plant.

Let's be real, guys, a lot of this negativity is salt from not getting 100% what you wanted. This Direct being (Depending on how you feel, these things are subjective!) kinda bad isn't going to all of the sudden make the game bad. This Smash is still going to be phenomenal, and you know what? I'm gonna take back what I said about Spirits. I'm not gonna let my salt from it not being exactly what I wanted ruin it for me. It's probably gonna be fun, and I'm gonna eat aaaaaall those nasty words I said about it. I like Events, and Sakurai seems to be keeping parts about it secret still, so who knows? It could be rad. I'm still a little upset about no trophies, though.
Not hating it. I freaking loved it. It made my day really

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
aha just say a k.rool spirit surely thats goes against spirits deconfiming characters even if it was him as the kaptain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom