• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
The Square Enix character from Vergeben's 'leak' is Geno and I refuse to believe anything else.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
The only parts of the entire direct I liked were the Black Knight assist trophy and the RayMKIII Mii costume. At first I was hyped for Incineroar but then Sakurai said he stops to pose after every attack. Even if you can cancel out of it that's a really annoying gimick.

Untouch

Smash Master
I’d imagine people would b more receptive of pirahana plant if it weren’t a mario character. I’d imagine many people think “Seriosuly? Another Mario character?”.
I’d imagine I’m saying I’d imagine too much.
People are upset that they think it took the slot of their fake leak characters.
No, those characters were never in the game.

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
As an Isaac fan I fell so bad, why not disconfirming the most wanted first party earlier?
I fell like Sakurai just showed me is middle finger, the Rathalos pic, the new item...

It can't be Ultimate whitout at least Geno/Banjo and Isaac.

Noipoi

Howdy!
My headcanon is that Sakuarai was drunk at 4 in the morning. He went to the Mario wiki, pressed random and put in the very first character he saw.

SuperSmashLover

Smash Cadet
Am I the only one who prefers Spirits instead of trophies? The way to unlock them through basically events sounds amazing and while I won't use the power much, the flavour associated with them makes them more appealing to me.
Truly the one good thing about Spirits mode is now we will have a surefire way to unlock all the power ups instead of it being RNG and getting one of R.O.B.'s custom moves for the 1000'th time.

D

Deleted member

I don't think anyone cares about the moveset, It's probably more because people resonate more with actual characters instead of generic enemies. You know this inclusion probably burned Toad and Waluigi supporters to hell and back.
Dude.

I'm a Waluigi AND Captain Toad supporter, and I unironically think this is the better outcome. I've been talking about the idea of a playable Mario mook since I was kid playing Brawl 10 years ago. To see this idea kid me had actually come to fruition? That was the best dang reveal of the whole game. Heck, I might even like it a little more than Inklings. It's so bizarre, so random, so...perfectly Nintendo. This is the kind of stuff I want from Smash: Not the expected, not the predictable, but the truly impressive feat of making me want something I never knew I wanted.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Yeah, I'm not even sure if I want to get Piranha Plant. I was looking forward to getting every character, even characters I was less enthused about, to be complete. But--looking at Piranha Plant compared to every other fighter, it just doesn't fit. It's a conflict between wanting to complete the roster, but not having a character that sticks out like a sore thumb. I'll most likely be pre-ordering it anyways, so I'm guessing it doesn't matter. Why did Piranha Plant have to be #70. :facepalm:

I have absolutely no clue what I'll do my wallpaper now. :upsidedown:

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Well looks like CoroCoro was right 108 stages in all, but that's sure to change over time if there are more waves to DLC.

Overall I liked the direct even though I didn't get any of my picks, and Spirits looks fun. Ken still has inputs like Ryu (I was hoping for a Lucina treatment), but he is faster than Ryu so that gives me more incentive to play as him. Incineroar being the slow heavyweight, clashes with my playstyle so I'm not gonna use him much if at all, but I'm really happy for Noipoi Noipoi , and @GoldenYuiitusin you all really wanted him, so I'm glad you get the chance to play with him, enjoy :)

I'm disappointed in Isaac, and Shadow, being AT's again, Rex being a Mii costume while his friends are stickers, but at least it's something, and Shantae, and Blaze the Cat being a sticker/spirit just hits me hard in the gut (but I'm not giving up on them just yet).

It also seems Kirby isn't the only the only one to escape being a sticker/trophy/Mii Costume... it appears that maybe just maybe a certain BLADE Colonel might make her appearance in the future, here's hoping.

Also Piranha Plant a playable character? Though I'm not against it, or rooting for it over another character, my only thought at this time is... how do the people who wanted Thwomp, or other Mario mooks feel about this?

All in all, this hasn't stop me from picking up this game come December, I'm still excited as ever.

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
Werent all the dlc characters paired with stages? And piranha plant isnt right?
That’s a what I thought, but I just need clarification cause I don’t really mind the idea of it as a character but if it’s 1 of the 5 I’d be pretty sour tbh

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Yeah, those aren't the ones I'm referring to. I'm not always as clear as I try to be. I don't mind people complaining about specific aspects, but if they're just **** posting memes about the game being ****ty, or saying "F Sakurai", then they're just making the forum less fun.

I've seen people bring up legitimate points about the lacking options in Online, and worry about balance since it looks like a lot of work went into the side modes. Those seem like valid criticisms and something that we can discuss. :)

Edit: Personally I'm a little disappointed that we have 5 DLC characters before the game is even released, and that Petey is a limited offer. I understand... but I really do miss the old days of everything being in the box.
#PeteyMain
Pretty sure he will only be FREE for a limited time.. I imagine hell be 2 bucks after awhile..

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Literally after Sakurai said ''He's perfect fighter material." and all that and Geno still isn't in despite him adding the two other giant community requests?

Yeah, we're not getting Geno ever. He must have been shot down by Square after all, which is just annoying.
That interview has already been shown it was mistranslated. Early translations showed Sakurai's tone far more in support in Geno, while later translations he had a completely different tone when talking about the character.

kylexv

Smash Master
My thoughts:

• Ken and Incineroar are the last characters. I prepared myself mentally for this for over a month, but the Grinch had to rain on my parade. At least my thoughts were 40/60 fake before the direct, so my expectations were in check.
    • Also, their trailer is literally exactly how I imagined it lol.
  • Spirits sounded pretty boring until they actually showed the World of Light part. Best part of the direct imo. WHAT A CUTSCENE BOYS.
  • VOCAL THEME
  • Piranha Plant is so absurd and I love it.
  • Shadow, Isaac, Black Knight, AND Skull Kid got the axe. This physically hurt to watch. At least Geno and Bandanna Dee still have a chance
  • Suprised that Rex and Spring Man won't appear as DLC
  • Of course, I am excited to see the DLC to come, regardless of who it is
  • All this Incineroar hate is super appropriate, knowing he's the Heel Wrestler Pokemon
  • Yoshi's Final Smash being a Melee callback is amazing
  • Lucario and Richter's Final Smashes are exactly what I thought they would be.
  • Still don't know what to think about Online. Hopefully Sakurai doesn't screw up with the matchmaking.
Overall: 7/10. Boring first half, painful Assist Trophy session, but everything else was amazing.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I have no words to describe this Direct

Ken and Incineroar was expected but it is somewhat a bit disappointing to end with them. I would've put King K Rool as the last character to be revealed to keep the hype going

All the modes were interesting and I like the concept of Spirit Mode. That's gonna be quite an amount of time I'll be spending on it

Pirshna Plant as DLC is the best way to start a WTF character. NO ONE was expecting that and Sakurai broke more stuff

A bit salty that Shadow and Isaac didn't make the roster again, but I'm happy they at least made some kind of playable appearance.

Now this increases Skull Kid's chances as I don't think we saw him as an AT right?

8.3/10

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
As an Isaac fan I fell so bad, why not disconfirming the most wanted first party earlier?
I fell like Sakurai just showed me is middle finger, the Rathalos pic, the new item...

It can't be Ultimate whitout at least Geno/Banjo and Isaac.
Dude, understand something. Rathalos pic and the new item were NEVER actually Golden Sun references. People just inferred them that way because they are desperate for isaac.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
i'm still kinda reeling from piranha plant's godlike shock value but the fact that one of its moves changes its color to directly reference paper mario makes it a-okay in my book
putrid ult.png

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm loving it, personally. Ken is okay, Incineroar was my most wanted newcomer (after I gave up hope on Tetra and Shantae), and Piranha Plant is a hilarious addition that I can't wait to play.
Well at least some people are happy

D

Deleted member

I liked the Direct, i really did.

I only despised the Plant, and feel upset about people jumping on anyone who does so.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
What the ****. I'm legitimately shocked Smash for Wii U is the lowest selling Smash title. This is news to me.
If you add the Wii U and 3DS sales together. Smash 4 is the highest selling Smash. But the two consoles had significant impact on the sales of each other.

The 3DS also has an install base of roughly 60 million more than the Wii U ever did, so that's a factor.

KMDP

Smash Legend
In other news - anyone get serious infinity war vibes from the end trailer? One - I wasn't expecting a voiced Zelda, still not sure if I like that. Two - Of course Kriby was the sole survivor...again. Give someone else (Link) a chance. Three - I assume someone's already made a mashup gif of Thano snapping and then all of the Nintendo characters disintegrating.
Already made the joke, Cap. XD

Linkle

D

Deleted member

World of light is definitely Sakubias imo. Leaving Kirby as the one living character over even Mario? I’m not complaining but it is amusing to me.

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
I have no words to describe this Direct

Ken and Incineroar was expected but it is somewhat a bit disappointing to end with them. I would've put King K Rool as the last character to be revealed to keep the hype going

All the modes were interesting and I like the concept of Spirit Mode. That's gonna be quite an amount of time I'll be spending on it

Pirshna Plant as DLC is the best way to start a WTF character. NO ONE was expecting that and Sakurai broke more stuff

A bit salty that Shadow and Isaac didn't make the roster again, but I'm happy they at least made some kind of playable appearance.

Now this increases Skull Kid's chances as I don't think we saw him as an AT right?

8.3/10
He is listed as an assist trophy on the website :(

monadoboy

Smash Lord
If we count Toon Link as a natural extension of Young Link, here are some crazy facts.

• The Legend of Zelda has not received a newcomer since 2001.
  • In the time since LoZ's last newcomer, Fire Emblem has received 5, Pokemon 5, Mario 3, and Metroid 3.
  • In that same time, ten new Nintendo franchises have received characters, and nine characters were added that aren't even Nintendo properties.
  • Before Ultimate, none of the LoZ characters had gotten a visual update since 2008. Skyward Sword released in 2011.
  • Sheik has now appeared in three more Smash games than actual Legend of Zelda games.
  • Only one of the six LoZ characters in Ultimate is not Link or Zelda.
Or, do like me and trick yourself to believe that Piranha Plant is a Link's Awakening character

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
You know, I don't remember them ever explaining how do we actually add characters to the roster...

Originality

Smash Journeyman
chibi mii.png
20ulrw.jpg

The most disappointing part in my opinion was Shadow Skull Kid and Isaac being ATs
Incineroar does look very cool though. I have a soft spot for wrestlers in videogames and his animations definitely sell me on him. The spirits mode looks pretty cool too. I guess Kirby is now the official main character of Smash Bros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom