• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
It's probably being created everywhere, the same wristband, we just saw the French one leaked
Yep, good point. I love the Grinch leak, Jesus, I hope it can be real.
Whether or not it is, next time, I'm not going to involve myself in any of the leak stuff. It's too stressful for me to take. However, I'm feeling good about this. I don't think that Kencineroar/Box Theory is a possible outcome. Sakurai wouldn't be silly enough to end the game on a low note. I can't wait for this direct. One day of waiting left! Less than twenty-six hours!

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I can't wait to buy the K. Rool amiibo.

I really want a Geno amiibo to happen, too.
I'd like to have a little Geno statue.

And Banjo.

CantGetRidOfTheRidley

Smash Apprentice
Can we all appreciate that we're in a Smash cycle where there are people who, with a straight face, have to credit "Gang Banjo Boomers" for information? What an absolutely wild cycle this has been.

29.8.png

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hey guys!

In less than 2 hours, the Direct will officially be at the 24 hour mark!

ARE YOU GUUUUUUYS HYYYYYYYYYYYPED??!!!

Sorry, a little drunk...
Sort of... Geno's implied to be safe but a lot of the other Grinch characters are being punted back and forth right now, especially Isaac which I consider the brother fanbase to Geno's. If Geno gets in, I really don't want any celebration from our fanbase to be seen as spite or gloating. I'm too involved in this community to think "I've got mine, **** everyone else" because I've been in that position and it really sucks if you've invested a lot of time supporting a character.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Bayonetta DOES need nerfs (and she got them, as much as some doesn't want to admit it), but Fox literally had his own tier in Melee and he was better than a character that can do zero-to-deaths by pummeling. Also, how fun a character is to fight against is kinda subjective. I dislike playing against Fox or Cloud more than I do with Bayonetta.
A lot of characters are better than ICs, because while they have wobbling there are a lot of ways to deal with them. They currently sit at 7th on the tier list, so it's not really a good point, unless you want to argue that Peach and upwards are also broken.

I'm not denying Fox is clearly the best character in Melee, because of course he is, but all I'm saying is that there are various factors that play into why he's not a problem. If I get smashed by a Fox I still feel like it's fair game, because while he's a lot better than my main (C. Falcon) I know that there are still ways to deal with him, aswell as the opposing player having put a lot of time into the character to get to that level. The only really stupid part of the character is his Up Smash.

Bayo has a ton of things that just feel cheap, and you can't account for all of them. You'll get carried off the top, she gets free combos from Witch Time, Bat Within saves her from dangerous situation, her recovery is absolutely bonkers, and she really just doesn't require much of an investment to do that well with, it just feels like she plays by different rules than anyone else. She has gotten nerfs in Ultimate already, but I'm personally not sure they're enough.

Last edited:

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
I have read this in reddit:

PapaGenos - Leak is completely real​
Leak Review - Isaac is at least in​
Mystic - Isaac and Geno are in, leak is fake​
Verge - Incineroar, Isaac assist, Minecraft Content​
Emily - Multiple characters are assists.​

This totally seems like nobody has a **** idea of what actually is in and 1) they are pulling fake information because Nintendo now lets them or 2) they are full of ****.

Is that hard for them and their "OMG YOU HAVE TO TRUST US" to just don't say anything if they don't know for sure?

Last edited:

Wambo

Smash Ace
Changed my avatar because I'm confident Geno will be announced tomorrow. I'm gonna push Goemon/Ebisumaru/Yae/Sasuke for DLC, since I think that they'd make a really fun :ultpokemontrainer:-like character, and it'd be a good way to bring them all into Smash while keeping them as one character. Genius, right?

Seriously though, with Konami and Square involved with Smash, I think Goemon and Chrono are actually really solid characters y'all should help get for DLC.

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
For the low low price of 49.99 you too can have a Geno amiibo.

What you think it's gonna be cheap to send Bill down to Home Depot for all that wood?
I am willing to pay that three.... three and a half times over. Once we get to four I'm gonna need to borrow some money.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
For the low low price of 49.99 you too can have a Geno amiibo.

What you think it's gonna be cheap to send Bill down to Home Depot for all that wood?
Would it be cheaper if we went in the morning?

...I got nothing.

But at least I got a decent color for the staff on the sprite. Now I gotta figure out the right animation for slamming it down. Thrusting it upwards isn't an issue. Probably still need some visual effects as well to make it more clear(the down smashes however will have other effects, so it might not be needed...).

D

Deleted member

Hmm, I feel like making a Top 10 Smashboard Profile Pictures for some reason....

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
" DLC is bad!"

*wanted charactee isnt in smash base game*

" there's always DLC~"

That's how I see that happening
I don't think anyone who has said DLC is bad has advocated for a character as DLC
And usually the people who are super against Smash DLC tend to start talking like their entire outfit is made of tin foil so I mean take that as you will

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
For those curious about the updated situation at ResetEra, here's a good quote from a user there:

I think we can safely throw mystic’s claims out since even he seems to have recanted most of them.

You’re left with Emily, Imran, Vergeben, Tom, Zhuge, and maybe gx’s jonneh and eza’s damiani. None of them have really contradicted each other since only vergeben and damiani have really gone on the record the former saying “incineroar no isaac” the latter saying “other then ken who it seems like everyone already knows nobody on the banner has been heard of by his sources”. Tom as well with no banjo which lines up with what zhuge said ahout “not those pieces”

Anything else is Era trying to read between the lines of cryptic comments.

Edit: Basically, Ken is the only Banner character known or mentioned by sources (the rest are unknown or unspecified by every current insider, save for Verg now claiming Isaac AT and Incineroar (most people openly agree with Incineroar however).
Other than that, it seems like Banjo was shot down by Zhuge.

Basically Isaac, Geno, Shadow, Mach Rider, and Chorus Kids are either MIA, ATs, or in the game and nobody has confirmed or specified any of the 5 if you disregard Mystics comments now.

Edit 2: Massive disclaimer: I'm not saying I believe them or they are being legitimate right now. I'm just saying, that this is the summary of what they said regarding the characters. They could all be wrong tomorrow or lied to, who knows.

Last edited:

Fablemad

Smash Journeyman
Good morning Grinchbros! Only one sleepy left! What'd I miss? Are you guys still believing the insiders that are now implying different things that they were a week ago to save face once it's real?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
For the record, even though I do think she's a bit toxic for the competitive Smash 4 community, I don't actually hate Bayo. I dislike her for a number of reasons, some of which unrelated to competitive Smash, but hate is too strong of a word. I'd rather not channel my energy towards petty hatred. I'm definitely not upset that they brought her back for Ultimate. If I get to keep Dark Pit you guys get to keep Bayo.

Bayos who unnecessarily taunt at every opportunity do get under my skin though. Oh you managed to land a combo on Charizard with the best character in the game and barely managed to win whoop-de-do. Oh and now you're leaving the For Glory lobby before I can switch to Mewtwo as a counterpick I bet you're so proud of yourself. I guess that's what I get for maining a low tier though.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
OK, I'm finally going to say it. After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that the Grinch Leak makes some logical sense, but only with a few characters for one reason;

Sakurai said himself that the licensing was a nightmare.

This seems an odd detail, but hear me out.

For instance, look at Snake. Konami let Nintendo use him in Brawl, so could have simply recycled the agreement. However, the introduction of Castlevania into Smash brings a ton of licensing issues. I mean, two characters, a stage, a few ATs, and 34 tracks? :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsnake:

Now, look at Capcom. They've licensed out Ryu and Mega Man already, so Ken wouldn't be too hard to sort out as an Echo, but more paperwork. :ultmegaman::ultryu:

Next exhibit; Sega. They've seemed really into adding reps to Smash, being Sonic and Bayonetta, so Shadow is pretty plausible as another Echo... but more paperwork. :ultbayonetta::ultsonic:

Next; Square Enix. The agreement for Cloud, Midgar and tons of FFVII music is probably extensive, so Geno would realistically be able to be squeezed in too, but more paperwork. :ultcloud:

Obviously Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven and Mach Rider are owned by Nintendo, so not really supported by this.

Lastly is Banjo-Kazooie, owned by Rare... MUCH more paperwork.

I'm thinking that the likelihood of inclusion for the third-parties will be as follows;

1. Shadow
2. Ken
3. Geno
4. Banjo-Kazooie.

This is based on the track records of the actual companies, and the fan service factor, but is just a hunch, really. It's not a leak or anything, just an idea. We'll have to wait and see... Won't be able to sleep tonight for Smash Direct...

Wambo

Smash Ace
I can't wait to buy the K. Rool amiibo.

I really want a Geno amiibo to happen, too.
I'd like to have a little Geno statue.

And Banjo.
Tomorrow's Smash Direct is hopefully gonna feel like how awesome it was to open a Nintendo Power magazine in the 1990s.

Remember when video game characters had crazy unique designs? And color?

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: Proofreading ftw.

Keep in mind that neither Vergeben nor Rogers had K. Rool even though they had other legit info. I bet these guys have a network of sources they have to analyze and then they have to come to a conclusion about their data. If their source is, on one hand, a Nintendo developer and, on the other, a blurry photo, it must be hard to take text leaks and blurry photos seriously. Furthermore, I suspect Nintendo has developed a highly advanced misinformation campaign ala Marvel Studios. If the insider's sources are giving deliberate misinformation or even real leaks peppered into misinformation, arriving at the truth can be difficult.

Who the hell knows, too, if Nintendo is giving, say, different devs or QA teams different builds and demos to test and code. Say they give them carved up data the way Marvel releases fake trailers and fake scripts to its actors? Maybe some build has Isaac playable and another build throws in an updated Isaac Brawl trophy to create data chaos? Or what if the Brawl trophy is back because "everything is here" aloing with "everyone"? Maybe the assist trophy doesn't appear if someone is playing Isaac.

Not sure. All I know is that the data looks absurdly good from the Grinch leak, so i can only presume that these insiders have equally good data to believe it's fake. I suspect that their sources have any combination of real and true data, old information, info they aren't sharing, and info that is deliberately wrong because the same way it's crazy to deny that the Grinch leak has overwhelming circumstantial evidence in its favor, it's also crazy to deny that Vergeben, Emily Rogers, and GameExplain have overwhelmingly reliable information. Vergeben and Rogers obviously know things and I trust GameExplain especially overall even if the lack of a Grinch discussion was strange as hell.

I have never been this curious about a direct. There must be some insane rumors flying around behind the scenes. I think we could easily get announcements that blow our minds even further.

So hoping for a matchup of Tetronimo vs. Banjo Kazooie.

Last edited:

shaggypatriot12

Smash Cadet
Before everything is officially revealed I just wanted to say thank you to everyone on this board for being (mostly) sane and much more reasonable than other places I tried like GameFAQs. Its been a ton of fun speculating and hyping with you guys and I cant wait for character DLC campaigns to start! (Oh and to also play the actual game)

Cristaran

Smash Journeyman
Bayos who unnecessarily taunt at every opportunity do get under my skin though. Oh you managed to land a combo on Charizard with the best character in the game and barely managed to win whoop-de-do. Oh and now you're leaving the For Glory lobby before I can switch to Mewtwo as a counterpick I bet you're so proud of yourself. I guess that's what I get for maining a low tier though.
Then again, its pretty annoying when anyone does that, no matter the character, but i get what you mean

Fablemad

Smash Journeyman
For those curious about the updated situation at ResetEra, here's a good quote from a user there:
''The only real one is ''Ken'' we all agree on that''
>pick the literal only obvious one that way they don't fail completely
>game comes out and 6 years later we still listen to them because they ''guessed'' Ken
Guys can we please stop giving them attention? These people are literally whos that work a Starbucks and we're actually listening to them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom