• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Can someone explain to me what's happened tonight? Red Dawn was an exceedingly good movie, and as usual inspired me to paint my belly in the colors of Old Glory, but I still never got a response to my post about forty pages ago asking what in the Sam Hill was going on.

Raspberry

Smash Journeyman
I see that 60 pages have appeared since I last checked the thread. I'd be incredibly happy if anyone could give me a rundown of what's new, since apparently Twitter is going crazy. Thanks in advance!

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
MysticDistance is talking again and holy crap

There was a problem fetching the tweet

and LeakReview also talking

That makes me hopeful that the Chorus Kids might make it in, regardless if the leak is fake...
Also, I'm assuming that Banjo is what makes it fake...

Last edited:

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
The Isaac fans were some of the most vocal about trying to debunk it because of it being disrespectful, and there was just as much of that in this thread too. You shouldn't generalize a fanbase like that.
There's also just nothing remotely disrespectful about it.

There have been Pokémon episodes featuring scenes with the move Earthquake being used that have been delayed/banned in Japan, and because the episode would've aired around the same time that an actual earthquake happened in the country. Look it up yourselves, this is very real.

It is not unreasonable, FAR from disrespectful, to assume that a similar reasoning may have resulted in the delay of Isaac's reveal, assuming he uses moves that involve earth tremors or the like.

Trying to turn an otherwise innocuous speculation into some kind of moral debate is the most obnoxious thing in the world.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I'm not supportive of GX or insiders groups being harassed (it really isn't okay), but here's the thing - this nuclear apocalypse of leakworld we're living in what tends to happen when you act like an egotist, and a large number of people denying the leak as insiders have not done so in cordial manner. They've been extremely condescending or had meltdowns over it. It's reasonable to be steadfast in your belief that a leak is fake because you have information, but -

-Calling people who disagree with your Trump supporters

-Implying people who are speculating about the leak are deranged conspiracy theorists

-Acting like criticism of you for not sharing proof is harassment (people were banned off of ResetERA for this, though bans are handed out on ResetERA for completely inconsequential things all the time)

-Generally acting smug, unpleasant, or needlessly demeaning

Some insiders are very guilty of this, GX's crew in particular. Regardless of the leak's outcome, I've lost my respect for these guys because they've helped fuel hostility with their dismissive and poor attitudes. It gives this impression that these people are sheltered and incapable of responding to criticism in a normal way.

When you accuse the entire community of being toxic because a subset of /v/ users are trolling you, you need to get a grip on reality and understand your vitriolic responses are going to make everything worse. It won't stop the trolls and it makes you look unstable to a lot of otherwise neutral parties who're wondering why you're calling people Trump supporters over the handling of secret gaming information. Like, really? wtf, trolls literally feed on this. Anytime GX is brought up on an important subject some dude on /v/ will forever link that image of Andre's inexplicable twitter meltdown. That's totally self-inflicted because he's an adult that should understand how the internet works.

People DO need to chill out but "insiders" should join that squad. The conspiracy theories about them being on Nintendo's payroll are literally a result of their abnormally dismissive behavior. They can't just be vitriolic and act like the problem will go away.

Omni's getting a ton of **** for reasons that I find largely unjustified since he's actually held his arguments on the back of his credibility as a graphic designer. That seems fair. Any annoyance over that is reaching, but you are inviting questions and skepticism from completely reasonable parties if you start saying "I know things" and won't explain why. Happens to any leaker, your name and status an an internet celebrity or gaming journalist will not shield you if you act the same as some anonymous person on an image board.

Also, praise be vaanrose for not only handling this well but consistently putting out good criticisms of images that people jump the gun on.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I just processed that a lot of the avatars were Noipoi's thingy.

Glad I'm not there or else I'd have to commit to something. :091:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Hot dang we have the same prediction if the banner leak is fake

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

Notice the tweet says "most" from the leak are in. What does this mean for Mach Rider??

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
So basically what is confirmed for Mystic is
-108 Stages
-Shadow/Ken/Incineroar/Isaac/Geno
-DLC characters
-MOST of the newcomers from the banner are here but there is something contradictory by itself

I'm starting to think that perhaps, the leak bait was in the banner, and it wasn't Incineroar...
If I may have a turn at being a crackhead here I’ll like to believe that the Choir Kids are leak bait and that we are getting Black Shadow

KMDP

Smash Legend
How do we know the filled version was made first? It'd be easier to make everything separately, and splice it together later on. That'd also explain why the positions of the characters are so flexible.
Everything was made separately, but they were made to be a cohesive whole (and for some, to interact in a way that makes sense).

You can splice them together later on, but it doesn't change the fact that the completed mural had to be planned from the start.

Hope this explains things. :grin:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
-108 Stages
-DLC characters
-MOST of the newcomers from the banner are here but there is something contradictory by itself

I'm starting to think that perhaps, the leak bait was in the banner, and it wasn't Incineroar...
Probably Mach Rider or Banjo, imo
If I may have a turn at being a crackhead here I’ll like to believe that the Choir Kids are leak bait and that we are getting Black Shadow
Yeah... No...
Chorus Kids seem likely, not just because of my bias, It's that they were planned for Smash 4

Last edited:

Jess. Alakasam

Smash Cadet
You know, speaking about the Chadadorf leak there's more that makes me think it's BS.

This guy says Ray was considered for Smash Ultimate. Really? After Nintendo showed how much they cared about the series by letting the trademark expire, AND the character themselves never having been considered before? Not having made an appearance since Arena on the DS (great game btw check it out)?

I don't buy it. He doesn't fit as a retro or obscure rep really, and has so much against him. Not to mention the fact that once again, you'd need to be on the dev team to know about characters that were removed, or Sakurai himself.

also sorry Ray fans I do actually like him I just don't think it fits
The Trademark didn't expire, just the trademark for the GameCube Custom Robo Dic.

Fablemad

Smash Journeyman
....I know it was always a theory. That doesn't refute the point that theory itself is a fan conspiracy using a natural disaster to justify it. Not sure why you would think Im from gamexplain considering I have been in this thread discussing them before.
Can you explain then how it would be disrespectful to think that they might have removed something offensive at the time from the Direct? Because honestly man, your point falls pretty god damn flat and feels like a useless attack against a community. And spoilers, I didn't even want Isaac in, so I'm not taking their side, just trying to reason why you would write something so brash for no reason.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You know, speaking about the Chadadorf leak there's more that makes me think it's BS.

This guy says Ray was considered for Smash Ultimate. Really? After Nintendo showed how much they cared about the series by letting the trademark expire, AND the character themselves never having been considered before? Not having made an appearance since Arena on the DS (great game btw check it out)?

I don't buy it. He doesn't fit as a retro or obscure rep really, and has so much against him. Not to mention the fact that once again, you'd need to be on the dev team to know about characters that were removed, or Sakurai himself.

also sorry Ray fans I do actually like him I just don't think it fits
Well if Ray was considered then hopefully that has good implications for Andy's chances in the future. Granted if he has a lot of momentum for him in the next Ballot which I feel is possible.

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
-108 Stages
-DLC characters

Namco would make a banner with a bait character on it? Why? Or am I not understanding what you mean.

R O F L

Smash Ace
I still find it weird that Sakurai said we won't get many newcomers this game, and with the 7 from the leak, we would have 16 newcomers while vanilla Smash 4 had 17 (counting the Miis as 3 separate fighters).

I know Ultimate has more clones than Sm4sh, but this just feels odd.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Well, that's pretty interesting. Not only would people get to have their (beef)cake and eat it too, but Minecraft content not being there in the first place? That's a game-changer, if true.

Master Rainbow could easily be mistaken for an actual artist that works on The Loud House.

Vinzound did one as well. This one has K. Rool in it so I'm posting it.

kjsteroids did some good Loud House fan art as well, although nothing Smash-related (but plenty of DKC art in a different style though). There's just something about Nintendo fans and Loud House.

Tyrathius

Smash Cadet
-108 Stages
-DLC characters
I'd be alright with this if it turns out to be the case. Obviously I'd rather have the whole leak if I could, but Isaac and Geno are my most wanted and Shadow is a nice bonus. Banjo's the only one I'd really miss, but it's still a better scenario than I could have hoped for pre-grinch leak.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
Honestly Im mostly talking about on gamefaqs rather than here. This forum moves too quickly for me to keep up with if that were to happen here honestly. I probably should have clarified that >_<
I see, sorry if it seemed like I was attacking you in any way

MrHomelessHobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Orangeporrige
What the hell is even going on anymore
Remember when this was simple "hey guys someone leaked a snapchat ahahahah chaddorf"

Now we're on, "WENDYS TOURBUS VIDEO AND THE GRINCH", "CRYSTALS", "G R I N C H", "VIDEO TAKEN DOWN BY USER"

lLike what the hell is even going on anymore

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
I still find it weird that Sakurai said we won't get many newcomers this game, and with the 7 from the leak, we would have 16 newcomers while vanilla Smash 4 had 17 (counting the Miis as 3 separate fighters).

I know Ultimate has more clones than Sm4sh, but this just feels odd.
Sakurai also said that Bayo was the chosen ballot winner and was made the final DLC character because of it but she was already planned before the ballot was a thing.

Last edited:

DiamondJoyride

Smash Cadet

this could throw the entire leak for a loop if that's true. damn.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
What if all the characters in the leak ended up being revealed but their placement in the banner and poses were different than what we got? How would you react?

LoopyBlack

Smash Cadet
Y'know, GameXPlain may not be covering this leak because...maybe they just don't want to?

Which they have every right to not cover it. I do not believe there is some grand conspiracy going on with GameXPlain. If they know stuff, they ain't gonna say squat because they don't want to. They have no obligation to tell us anything.
But they're not being silent, and that's part of the problem. If they just left it at "sorry guys, we don't want to talk about it" then that'd be fine. But they're throwing their weight behind #TeamFake. For a short while, they pretended that they didn't believe the leak because it wasn't believable on its own merits. They basically withdrew that. Now we're left thinking that they have some other reason for not believing it. They've handled this poorly, that much is certain. Was the backlash disproportionate? Probably. But people reacted that way because they thought they could trust GameXplain to be open and honest.

Influencers/youtubers need to be careful with stuff like this. The ones who are handling this the best are the ones who are being totally silent.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
We're in a smash cycle where insiders aren't arguing over Isaac or Geno being in the game.

What a time to be alive.

Potato_

Smash Lord
For the inconsistency in the banner, maybe it's something about one of the characters they KNOW are in?

Maybe Isaac for example is getting a redesign but the banner doesn't match that?

Idk I'm just spitballing at this point

D

Deleted member

O boy, I feel like that the grinch leak is tearing us apart in our *** very hard than ERSB leak debate did. All I see is same argument like this:

"LOOK! THERE'S CROPPED IN THAT SPOT IN BANNER [INSERT CHARACTERS HERE] CONFIRMED FOR SMASH!"

"No, it was error watch me how to recraft it so it was likely cropping error in the place"

"BUT-T! THERE'S ALSO SOME STRANGE PIXEL THERE!"

"it was likely compression there, so move on"

And so, this just keep repeating for a few hours. Don't even get me started on ****ING INSIDERS

Sure, some of those insiders are silence for comment on grinch leak. But, man all ****ing toxcity toward those "insiders" as they claim that grinch leak was fake, however, some of us thinks that's not possible for the leak to be fake SINCE we have some evidence that makes it real.

All this toxicity is unwanted, and it just makes "insiders" big bad of this story. For the example, GameXplain actually called the leak fake in 2 min video., sure, but some of them which I just start to despite for their questionable actions like, comparing team real to TRUMP SUPPORTERS (Yes, I'm not making it up)

And then, some of them EVEN claimed that papagenos was duped by their sources, but @papagenos countered this by pointing out that he even checked to see if he was legit, and he was.

If Insiders actually gave their reasonable explanations about why leak was so fake besides "It just missed Incienroar/it's fake so move on." ****. We won't have this ****storm in the FIRST PLACE, but man I don't like how insider are doing so poorly to defend their opinion of the leak.

God, I am starting to regret why I joined this kind of place.

^ my reaction about this kind of discussion.
+1 for the Kanaya gif fam, exactly how I feel

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
It’s not disrespectful to theorize that this could have happened. It would be incredibly disrespectful to be angered that t happened. Delaying the direct was the right thing for Nintendo to do regardless of whether or not issac was in it. Removing issac from the trailer after delaying it would ALSO have been be the right thin to do. What happened in Japan was a total tragedy, and incredibly sad. Anyone who was angry that Nintendo delayed the direct were being disrespectful and should be ashamed of themselves.

The earthquake was a thing that happened. The fact that people are happy their character might be in the game doesn’t automatically make them terrible people. If they care more about they’re character than the lives that were lost that’s a different story, but theorizing about what might have happened is literally harmless.

As someone who donated money to help after the earthquake and someone who believes that issac May have been removed from the trailer... grouping everyone into a single stereotype simply isn’t fair.
Im...not upset with people who are "happy their character might be in the game". Im upset with people who are like "oh a thing got delay because of a thing that happened the very same day and showed up next week at the exact same length. It simply MUST BE that my character was taken out and referencing a very particular attack! There is no other possible explanation!" :/

Raspberry

Smash Journeyman
Today's Fighter
#29: Zero Suit Samus
Although not as powerful as Samus, her speed is exceptional! Her Paralyzer not only has the ability to stun opponents, but it can also turn into a whip. For her Final Smash, she dons her suit and fires a powerful laser!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609