• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Minecraft is beloved. Over the many years I've played Minecraft, I've never heard any phrase close to "I like Steve"
Tell me then, how many people have said "I love Wii Fit Trainer!", "I love Villager!", or "Miis are awesome!" before their reveals in Smash happened? I'm sure plenty did, but the logic people are using is looking at the echo chamber of Smash communities and thinking that it's the big picture.

Just because a character on this site doesn't have a huge campaign thread with a bunch of people yelling about the character doesn't mean no one wants them. Smash, like most things, is not defined by the echo chamber that is forums. And if Steve wasn't considered recognizable, why on earth does he get as much merch as he does? He's MC Villager, whether people like it or not. I'm not even saying he's in or is likely, but the excuses people come up with for why it can't/shouldn't aren't that great, and basically boil down to "Children liking it = cringe bad" or "I have no attachment towards it, therefore bad".

DRM4R10

Smash Apprentice
I think the problem is that these take a lot of months of planning and effort and are pretty much set--there's no button they can press to speed things up. So I feel like whatever day we get the Direct will be the day the Direct was always supposed to air. Which sucks, because if this turns out to be fake, I think there are many fans who'll be (reasonably) disappointed. And I'm not thinking of us, who analyze these things and follow up on everything. I'm thinking of my friend, or a casual gamer who found this in their FB feed and just assumed it was a legitimate leak.
To be honest, even if the leak turns out real, it would also be kinda harmful for Nintendo because people's hype would have died out. That's what happens when humans are a curious bunch:ultpacman:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
People who say "people like Minecraft but not Steve" never seem to address why merchandise is sold of Steve specifically.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I'd love to call S.T.E.A.M above average but the enemy reinforcements appearing before their turn starts combined with the lack of a fast-forward option in the first few months after release just knocks the game down too much in my view. Would still recommend for Nintendo strategy fans.
It had some missteps for sure, but the gameplay and strategy elements were overall really, really fun, imo. I would have loved to see a sequel on the Switch, a more powerful console with better graphics and more opportunity, but given how the game sold **** all, I doubt that’ll ever happen.

Hoping for a trophy reference and maybe a song or two, at most. But at this point Henry is my absolute most wanted character. :bluejump:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Minecraft isn't just successful, it's the second best selling game series of all time and actually is highly recognized as huge. It's very iconic and has a huge gaming history.

Pretending it's some small thing is ridiculous. It makes perfect sense to get Smash content. It's a juggernaut of a series. Gaming history is a lot of what gets into Smash in the first place. The fact it has some nice history with Nintendo(nobody said deep history in the first place, just some real history with it) makes it an even better choice.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
See, Shadow is strangely actually getting quite a lot of love right now, and people from all communities embrace his edginess, even from me. And I used to think "edgehog with gun" was the cringiest thing in the world to me.

The memes are hilarious and it's fun to laugh at him, yes, but you actually kind of like him still when you're done laughing.

Steve is at a... "Chuck-E Cheese" level...
And I'm not just saying that because a lot of kids like him
I honestly think that the reason Shadow is getting actual love right now is because the possibility of him getting in is very real. I genuinely like Shadow, but I always viewed him as a meme inclusion because I never expected him to actually get in (I used to think if Sonic was to ever get a second rep it’d be Eggman or Tails due to Shadow being an assist). Now his assist is missing and people see an actual chance for him so more people are starting to realize “Hey, wouldn’t Shadow be cool?!”. If Steve was in the same position I guarantee he’d be getting a lot more unironic support. I remember during Smash 4 speculation Shadow was being meme’d to hell and back.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Here's all the big hidden parts who have been wrong so far. Probably more to come if Artsy continue the banners crop out
  • Orange: Dedede hide the 3rd rock, the only one missing.
  • Black: Zelda and Cloud hidding the spot. The only thing visible is the tip of the left crystal over Cloud knee. Artsy said he don't see it but I think we can see one blue crystal in the leaked picture. So he reproduce the only visible crystal and left the other (Again getting everything right except what's hidden)
  • Red: Hidden by boswer the whole time. He get the iceberg shown on the left of lucario on some banners and miss completely the island who is hidden. Again get every details right except the one hidden.
Bonus: The missing island is in the in game battlefield. Why would Nintendo change the art that much since E3 that it lost an "In Game" island. I don't think this island have been added for E3 only. The battlefield just look more empty with less accuracy with the real in game battlefield without it.

https://i.imgur.com/93d3wdR.jpg

Yeah is all rong!
No pixelation, no background changes, no nothing.
This is just rong, becouse the pro leaker forgot to put it in!

Yeah man! Go on!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
lol who does this refer to?
Geno. Popular cause of Forest Maze song being INCREDIBLY popular? Check. Game didn't come to Europe until the Wii Virtual Console? Check. Serves no purpose in the story as all he does is "We gotta stop Smithy cause muh star road" when Mario already had a good reason to stop Smithy? Check. No character arc unlike Mallow and I'd argue some of the game's bosses? Check. It's why I think he's just so boring to me
Okay, I've tried to avoid getting into this conversation (for obvious reason)...

The only characters that should be in Smash is whatever the **** Sakurai wants. :smash:
SON OF A ***** MY FATHER WAS A CHARACTER SAKURAI DIDN'T WANT HOW DARE YOU DISRESPECT MY FAMILY

Wambo

Smash Ace
Yeah, a character with potential for a terraformer moveset is a lot more interesting to me than Character I Can't Find Anything I Like And Have No Interest In His Franchise
You want your terraformer? Boom, Isaac.

Cuz... He might have plant-ladders 'n stuff...

I'm not trying to sway your mind here, I'm just saying that one is more deserving than the other. You can be a fan of a character, that's fine, but there are more positives than negatives for Banjo. If he got in, he'd snap right in, like a...

PUZZLE PIECE. :shades:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Tell me then, how many people have said "I love Wii Fit Trainer!", "I love Villager!", or "Miis are awesome!" before their reveals in Smash happened?
Just saying, all three of those you mentioned and Nintendo characters.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I'm not trying to sway your mind here, I'm just saying that one is more deserving than the other. You can be a fan of a character, that's fine, but there are more positives than negatives for Banjo. If he got in, he'd snap right in, like a...

PUZZLE PIECE.:shades:
"Deserving" is a word that implies a gross amount of whiny entitlement.

vigneault.charles

Smash Rookie
Yeah is all rong!

Yeah man! Go on!
He don't forgot, if he didn't had access to the big image, he had to improvise and do random things. And he got all of the big hidden spots wrong.
It's not a real Nintendo background or everything would have been right. it's a fake created one.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
the moon is skull kid’s brand new evolved form after fusion dancing with a stone talus from botw

in all seriousness tho im certain that skull kid was probably upgraded to being a boss, or hes planned dlc
Yeah I think all of those answers are pretty cool tbh

Fenn

Smash Cadet
I agree with other people's arguments about Steve. Steve himself has no emotions, and he's a fully customizable character, where you can make your own skins and change your name. I feel like this category of characters doesn't fit that well into smash, as it's fully up to the player. I realize the same could be said about villager, except that game has a lot of emotion, and one of the main points of the game is based a lot around relationships, and you can see the way that villager reacts to events and other characters.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Have you folks ever actually interacted with Minecraft fans?

Look at the books (and there are a lot of them). Steve is in those. Not some Minecraft OC. Steve.

Even books that aren't about Steve like the Minecraft zombie ones, have Steve in them as a prominent character.

Plushies? Steve has a ton.

Fame? Steve isn't a nobody. We all know who he is and we could all name him without help.

People who say Minecraft is beloved but Steve isn't are either living under a rock, never have interacted with children gamers, or are willfully ignorant.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

[/QUOTE] "You want your egg thrower? Boom, Yoshi and Birdo". See? I can ALSO make dumb arguments!
I literally only said Banjo is such a boring choice to me and you've been saying "NUH UH NOT TRUE! CAN YOU GUYS BELIEVE GWEN DOESN'T THINK BANJO IS INTERESTING?". I highly doubt you're not trying to change my mind, trying to use subjective arguments against my subjective opinion I only claimed as fact because it is INDEED a fact that I find those characters boring character choices

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

But that's your opinion...
You are not Sakurai, neither are we...

Wambo

Smash Ace
Steve is nothing compared to Freddy Fazbear...

Look, If you are gonna be on this thread only to hate on Steve, I'd recommend you get out now...
I agree with you on that first one. FNaF is the stuff of nightmares, and not in the way it was intended.

I'm not "hating on Steve", I'm just saying he isn't the most deserving character of Smash right now. If you wanna interpret what I'm saying as hate instead of opinion, that's you.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Okay, I've tried to avoid getting into this conversation (for obvious reason)...

The only characters that should be in Smash is whatever the **** Sakurai wants. :smash:
i sure hope sakurai is a huge tetris fan then because i NEED the tetris block in smash

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Are we not entitled to our opinions? I never said that Minecraft isn’t the second highest selling game. I just said that I personally think there are more deserving characters.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
So, I'm assuming nothing's come up since last night, right? I think I'm just going to wait it out. The background is making me believe it's fake, but the whole circumstances behind it and the fantastic roster make me want to cling to the possibility it's real. I just want this to be over...

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
frogger is nearly 40 years old and he wasted away in arcade hell

look at the eyes of THE most deserving newcomer, not some simple PUPPET

Shawksta

Smash Apprentice
It’s not like I’m telling Gamexplain to make a video debunking tne leak or else.
All I want is to hear what the gang thinks about this group of characters.
Jeez.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay now we are reaching Gamefaqs level
If someone starts calling Shantae fans horny, I'm right out.

I agree with other people's arguments about Steve. Steve himself has no emotions, and he's a fully customizable character, where you can make your own skins and change your name. I feel like this category of characters doesn't fit that well into smash, as it's fully up to the player. I realize the same could be said about villager, except that game has a lot of emotion, and one of the main points of the game is based a lot around relationships, and you can see the way that villager reacts to events and other characters.
And Villager dances for one of the taunts, too. For a player avatar, Villager's pretty lively.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Yeah is all rong!

Yeah man! Go on!
Fam it’s one thing to believe it’s real, it’s another to literally plug your ears and go ‘nyeh-nyeh-nyeh’ when people present evidence to the contrary. vaanrose vaanrose has made some more than noteworthy comments on the matter. It doesn’t quite hit my personal threshold for giving up, but ignoring it outright is obnoxious.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And Minecraft is based around survival, which is something that could be very easy to make come across in Steve's animations.
frogger is nearly 40 years old and he wasted away in arcade hell

look at the eyes of THE most deserving newcomer, not some simple PUPPET
Frogger is legitimately my second most wanted third party character.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Geno. Popular cause of Forest Maze song being INCREDIBLY popular? Check. Game didn't come to Europe until the Wii Virtual Console? Check. Serves no purpose in the story as all he does is "We gotta stop Smithy cause muh star road" when Mario already had a good reason to stop Smithy? Check. No character arc unlike Mallow and I'd argue some of the game's bosses? Check. It's why I think he's just so boring to me
Oh gotcha, i thought you were talking about a character already in smash and i just couldn't figure out who would even fit that bill lol

Chrollo.

fka president wario
It’s not like I’m telling Gamexplain to make a video debunking tne leak or else.
All I want is to hear what the gang thinks about this group of characters.
Jeez.
you’re gonna get a 5 minute video talking about shadows and blurriness and you will like it

D

Deleted member

Just saying, all three of those you mentioned and Nintendo characters.
But we have third parties in Smash as well as ones people clamor for, and Steve has what they have: Nintendo history. He's just as valid an idea as anyone else. If Geno can get by on what he has, why can't Steve?

My point is that not all characters are ones with huge core Smash fandom fanbases, and the mentality of a character being "deserving" is incredibly subjective and IMO, putting way too many personal emotions and feelings on fake pixel people. But hey, to each their own.

Last edited by a moderator:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I am missing something, didnt the Grinch leak confirm Banjo and not Steve why are those two fanbases arguing again. I mean if th eleak is true it doesnt mean Steve will NEVER be in smash, it might not be the final roster for one, and with how much of a money maker Minecraft is i can see Steve being first wave dlc easily... course in the off chance this topic somehow hasnt been discussed before though i feel it has then...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Oh gotcha, i thought you were talking about a character already in smash and i just couldn't figure out who would even fit that bill lol
lmao did my version of that with Banjo get to be interpretted as someone already in Smash? **** man.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that my favourite is OBJECTIVELY deserving of a spot
View attachment 172652

Let's never look at the books again.
That pig is such a big mood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom