• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Isaac isn't a terraformer. It's not what he does. He isn't about rearranging the battlefield to create new things. He just uses elemental abilities. Yes, there's some puzzle elements in the game(though Growth is just likely an item), but he's a psychic swordsman in his abilities.

Steve? is actually about terraforming. In fact, the only other character that is kind of like a terraformer at best is what Isabelle is associated with, but she's still quite different from that. It's actually a very underused battle style, and there's really no character who could do it but Steve? anyway. It's what he actually does(you should do research on Golden Sun before using a very poor example of his abilities).
It was intended as a gag more than "well-thought, one-hour-of-video-game-research" type argument. That's not me coping-out either, that's really what it was.

A guy who places blocks around the stage sounds really broken somehow. Do they just fizzle out after a certain time period? That's a pretty massive jump from something like the Inkling, which is the most dynamic character so far when it comes to messing around with the stage.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Argghh... the anti Steve arguments and the and chaos that is the Grinch leak makes me want the Direct even sooner...

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman
I think for DLC they should do packs but also sell everything separately for people that only want one or two things. Like have packs with one or two unique characters (if only one unique the other can be an echo but I wouldn’t put more than two characters per pack), a stage and some music to go with it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You're gonna need to turn the "Hostility Nob" waaaaaaay down there to keep me interested in this conversation with yeh, bucko

So tell me, what's so interesting about Steve to you? What do you like about his personali-

What's some funny things he's-

Uhh, what's his story in-

Ummm... What... interesting... grunts has he made lately...?
I literally don't care if you're interested or not cause I'd rather not have to listen to someone goes "In this essay I will convince Gwen she is wrong for not giving any ****s about my favourite"

Here's my opinion on Steve.
I'm not a Minecraft fan, if he doesn't happen. "Huh he didn't make it". If he does? "Huh he made it".
Now, because I love dunking on people using their own posts, can you tell me the tragic, emotional story that made millions cry, with a heartwarming conclusion called '♪♥?!', a best seller among the readers at home?

SonicMario

Smash Master
I honestly think that the reason Shadow is getting actual love right now is because the possibility of him getting in is very real. I genuinely like Shadow, but I always viewed him as a meme inclusion because I never expected him to actually get in (I used to think if Sonic was to ever get a second rep it’d be Eggman or Tails due to Shadow being an assist). Now his assist is missing and people see an actual chance for him so more people are starting to realize “Hey, wouldn’t Shadow be cool?!”. If Steve was in the same position I guarantee he’d be getting a lot more unironic support. I remember during Smash 4 speculation Shadow was being meme’d to hell and back.
Though to be fair, it's also due to the introduction of Echo Fighters. At this point Shadow is considered likely because we have neutral people like "Well we already have a Dark Pit and Dark Samus, and Richter showed 3rd parties can get echoes, so why can't we get what's in all intents and purposes 'Dark Sonic'"

If Sonic can get a non-echo fighter, it will probably be Tails. But for now echo fighters give an easy road for characters like Shadow to get in first since they're just that much easier to develop. With less need to balance across the cast because besides for maybe a move or two (I suspect Shadow will be mainly Sonic's moveset but with a teleport replacing the spring). They can balance them equally with the base character. Basically once Sonic's balanced, Shadow for the most part would be as well.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The deserving argument is incredibly subjective. I'd personally argue Caeda is 100% deserving of being in Smash, but I imagine others would disagree.
Because Steve is, again, the default avatar of the Minecraft experience (and also one where Microsoft and Mojang don't have to pay royalties to make). If you want to roleplay Minecraft in doll or LEGO form, you're going to have to use a Steve because the world of Minecraft established that all humans are to be built like Steve and anything else would ruin the immersion (or make things really weird). If anything, the only times Steve was given a personality was unauthorized Minecraft-based stories sold by Scholastic that went "This Steve is from a long line of Steves that Steved in a world built for Steves, but he doesn't want to be a Steve". Most often than not, the player will simply choose a skin of their own that is not Steve and use that instead, with Steve itself being used in-game in a somewhat ironic manner if it's not for promotional purposes.

Here's my counterargument; if you look at cinema, Avatar is still the highest-grossing film of all-time. The problem is... you ask people what they remembered about Avatar, they'll probably go "Oh, it's those blue aliens" and don't remember anything else. Steve is pretty much on par with those blue aliens (the Na'vi for anyone who forgot); everyone recognizes them, but doesn't know anything else about them of merit. Steve has that exact same problem; his game is everywhere and it made a lot of money, but how many players have played Minecraft solely because they wanted to be Steve and not, say, a Darth Vader skin or a Superman skin?
Of course I remember Avatar's characters. Milo Thatch, Princess Kida, General Rourke...wait a minute. Seriously though, Avatar is literally a live action rip off of Atlantis: The Lost Empire. :p

Wambo

Smash Ace
Isaac has way more than Plant Ladders.

Just including the thing's he's got natively, there's:
Move (the pushing technique he used in Brawl, it's not an attack in Golden Sun)​
Cure (a healing move)​
Retreat (allows Isaac to escape dungeons)​
Spire (rains rock-based Stalactites on enemies)​
Quake (creates blocks of Earth from the ground, a visualisation of the tremors he's causing)​
Gaia (causes an eruption of energy from the ground)​
Ragnarok (a giant energy sword, not Terraforming, but it's something he can do).​
Then you can start listing his non-native spells which are still Earth elemental.
Catch (similar to Move, but grabs instead of pushes)​
Carry (similar to Move, but lifts objects)​
Growth (attacks with vines, creates ladders with vines​
Thorn (attacks with large thorny vines)​
Punji (attacks with Bamboo shoots from the ground)​
Rockfall (summons an avalanche of rocks from nowhere)​
Then there's all the non-Earth spells, which I won't list because they're non-native and irrelevant to the point I'm making.
I'll have to admit, I don't know a whole lot about Golden Sun, but I'm sure I'll be interested in GS more once I see and mess around with Isaac (cuz #TeamReal), but I am aware that he has a lot of stuff to pull good moves from.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Man... I hope the leaks fake..
Where my Tecmo content...

I need Hayabusa and Impa.

That woulda been an awesome time line..

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Steve is complete garbage in my view but I won't care if he gets in as DLC. He'd be a crushing disappointment if he were the final base newcomer though, Minecraft's sales be damned.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Alright guys, how about we stop talking about Steven and instead talk about how Goku deserve to be in Smash?:4pacman:

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
I'd argue Smash's target audience is "Anyone who's a fan of multiple franchises featured in Smash" instead of that.
That's not how marketing works.

In fact you can see if you go to any smash demo storage how they have the attendants filling out a big marketing study form with the people who come: age range, comments, enjoyment and stuff. Is very standart procedure.

Banjokazzo

Smash Cadet
I'll have to admit, I don't know a whole lot about Golden Sun, but I'm sure I'll be interested in GS more once I see and mess around with Isaac (cuz #TeamReal), but I am aware that he has a lot of stuff to pull good moves from.
I think the best place to see how isacc might play is in SSF2 (smash bros fangame)

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I have to ask, what are some good Frogger games to play? Only one I've ever played is the original and some shameless copies of it. I keep hearing mixed things about other Frogger games, but I know there's good ones. Just have zero ideas where to look.
Frogger’s Adventures: Temple of the Frog is my personal favorite Frogger game. It’s on GBA and mixes classic Frogger gameplay with puzzle platforming.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Grand Theft Auto is one of the best selling game franchises of all time, does that deserve a character?

I know kids love Minecraft which is great but being a grand gaming legend and having phenomenal sales isn’t a free pass for 3rd parties, it takes a lot more than that, otherwise Smash would became Mugen at this rate.

And FYI, Smash isn’t just an “80’s/90’s club” there are plenty of characters that come from the 2000’s and a good amount of recent characters that people do enjoy.

Look, I used to hate on Minecraft/FNAF/Undertale because I ignorantly thought it was cool at the time, but people are allowed to enjoy whatever they and the same goes for people who aren’t interested in having those characters in Smash when there’s a lot of classic mainstream favorites still not playable.

Kids aren't obliged to require Minecraft/Fortnite characters to enjoy Smash.
You're right, it's not a free pass. It has to have something it can bring to the table that not many other series can, and be an icon of its own genre in a lot of cases.

Guess what? Minecraft still falls under that category. It Pioneered "builder" type games, something that even Dragon Quest and LEGO have dipped their toes into. There's certainly not many series like it out there.

No one is saying you can't detest the idea of Minecraft or Steve in Smash, believe me, I still play MC from time to time with a server of grown ass men and the idea of it in Smash is still less than thrilling to me. The problem is trying to justify why it doesn't belong. Short answer: You can't argue that. It checks off all the marks, for the most part.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It was intended as a gag more than "well-thought, one-hour-of-video-game-research" type argument. That's not me coping-out either, that's really what it was.

A guy who places blocks around the stage sounds really broken somehow. Do they just fizzle out after a certain time period? That's a pretty massive jump from something like the Inkling, which is the most dynamic character so far when it comes to messing around with the stage.
Doesn't Rivals of Aether kinda do this with Kragg?
View attachment 172655

Here's your terraforming character. Don't say those two words, you know what they are.
I've got two words for you.
WHO
THE ****
Wait that's 3 words DAMMIT

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
Just to remind every person who hasn’t seen this yet

And he edited to as if it was a Snapchat photo as best as possible with the motion/blurry/lighting problems
Which is impossible because the pic comes from a video and the blurryness comes from it not being focused and very small.

Stop with the "this is photoshopped" please, it doesn't add anything to the discussion.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think the best place to see how isacc might play is in SSF2 (smash bros fangame)
Isaac's moveset in that game is kinda a hot mess and doesn't really correlate with Sakurai's design perspective, so I doubt it would be a good reference point.

Wambo

Smash Ace
I literally don't care if you're interested or not cause I'd rather not have to listen to someone goes "In this essay I will convince Gwen she is wrong for not giving any ****s about my favourite"

Here's my opinion on Steve.
I'm not a Minecraft fan, if he doesn't happen. "Huh he didn't make it". If he does? "Huh he made it".
Now, because I love dunking on people using their own posts, can you tell me the tragic, emotional story that made millions cry, with a heartwarming conclusion called '♪♥?!', a best seller among the readers at home?
"The cool Final Fantasy puppet boi who's been accompanying me on my adventures this whole time has to leave and go back to Star Road once we get all the seven stars back and save the world from Smithy... and I'll probably never see him again after this..."

I don't know about you, but this **** is really sad to watch as a kid. And he's even the last character you see at "The End", in his true form.

... I can't wait to see my old friend again after all this time...

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Oh I actually kinda know Doshin, just meming it cause he's more obscure than other characters. Then again I know Cubivore and that's a game I've only seen happen twice, once in a Nintendo magazine saying "Hey here's some games that didn't make it here" and Nitro Rad ranting about some **** selling the game and the case separately to squeeze cash

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
Hold on, lemme make a super nitpicky Steve rant.

His name isn’t Steve?, it’s Steve. He has never been referred as Steve? in official merchandise, only Steve. He has never been referred as Steve? in game, only Steve. Never before has he ever been called Steve?, only Steve. I have absolutely no idea where you guys have getting this nonsense, it’s been stated multiple times by everything imaginable that his name is Steve, not this Steve? bull****. The only people that actually think this just want to make themselves look more intelligent than everyone else by incorrectly interpreting the developers’ words and choosing to ignore the solid proof. Y’know, like flat earthers.

Let’s look at some proof, shall we?

https://www.minecraftshop.com/p/minecraft_steve_deluxe_youth_costume.html

https://www.minecraftshop.com/p/minecraft_happy_explorer_diamond_steve_plush.html
https://www.minecraftshop.com/p/minecraft_survival_mode_mining_steve_5_figure.html

https://www.minecraftshop.com/p/minecraft_steve_classic_youth_costume.html

https://www.minecraftshop.com/p/minecraft_steve_with_arrows_figure_pack.html

https://www.minecraftshop.com/p/minecraft_diamond_steve_youth_pajama_set.html

https://www.minecraftshop.com/p/minecraft_steve_large_scale_action_figure.html

https://www.minecraftshop.com/p/minecraft_torch_sparking_steve_light_up_figure.html

https://www.minecraftshop.com/p/minecraft_deluxe_mini_figure_ride_steve_on_donkey.html

https://www.minecraftshop.com/p/minecraft_deluxe_mini_figure_ride_steve_on_saddled_pig.html

A0FD4A5A-4E0B-413C-AEBB-739B319C4395.png

Do you see Steve? there? No? That’s because his ****ing name is Steve.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom