• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
They aren't like Simon or Mega Man, where their IPs are deeply attached to Nintendo and share a deep history with them.
On that topic, can Quote qualify? His game has been rereleased on Ninty consoles since the Wii, to the point that Sony and Microsoft still didn't get any ports on their consoles,

Last edited:

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Echoes dont count as newcomers. We would have 10 newcomers if this leak is true which is fewer newcomers than any smash game
By all technicality they’re newcomers, but I doubt Sakurai’s statement was referring to them as they’re essentially bonuses to beef up the roster.

Wambo

Smash Ace
?

There's literally only been three posts in the Steve thread since the leak: someone posting the leak, someone saying "maybe DLC?", and one person sad about no Steve. There's no anti-Banjo sentiment there.
> Beloved characters from one of the most highly-praised platformers of all-time (and I'll keep telling people it's Tooie, because I love that game)
> Only character that is literally being memed the **** out of right now

I'll take, "beloved character from gud game" for $500.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Perhaps just that it seems that season pack are the way of selling DLC these day, maybe Nintendo would want to jump on the bandwagon for once ?
That seems like an awful lot of characters to develop for. That depends if Sakurai's development team is smaller come time for the DLC.

Remember that he only finished Mewtwo, Ryu, Roy, and Lucas in a span of 8 months. 2 unique characters and 2 semi-clones.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
So the argument now is "Steve doesn't look cool"? I think Pinnochio and a bear with a bird aren't exactly cool but thanks, now I have another argument for why I can say they're painfully boring choices to me! Or is the argument "Not enough effort in the game therefore unworthy for Smash"? Cause then we can cut Sonic, Mario, Link, etc. cause a lot of franchises have lackluster games that get a pass for being part of the franchise
Ayyyy, no need to bash my character to defend yours. Kinda forces me to defend mine about how cool they are.

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
Echoes dont count as newcomers. We would have 10 newcomers if this leak is true which is fewer newcomers than any smash game
Considering that Sakurai puts echoes next to their bases, dont have their own number, and not even need to be on the CSS, you do have a point

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Lucario is our only legit DS rep so far, is he not?...
I find it funny that despite being the best selling handheld of all time, The DS has only one Smash character to it's name,
Therefore, another reason why I think Chorus Kids would be a great addition...
Yeah handheld consoles in general are kind of overlooked when it comes to Smash inclusions which is kind of sad, especially for the GBA and DS era in particular.
I kinda hope Sakurai will rectify that a little though with Isaac, Chorus Kids, Phoenix, Layton and whatnot once all is said and done since those consoles had some pretty great games and franchises that originated from them too.

Last edited:

Heracr055

Smash Ace
It feels weird having people rate the newcomers including the "leaked" ones. I'd hold my horses because some of the responses I see say things along the line of "finally! After x amount of years (leaked char) finally gets their spot!", which suggests certainty. Just be careful about the expectations resulting from this "leak"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You're totally overlooking the main part of my argument and you know it. The Steve thing was just a gag and a small personal wish.

Someone's touchy today, eh?
Then, oh wise one, do tell, what was the main part of your argument?
Maybe we just don't like seeing Seinfeld Skeleton and Roblox Man compared to gaming giants that have x1000 the amount of effort and passion put into their games than either of them have. It's not necessarily just a "REEEE, KIDS GAME" thing. I don't remember why I couldn't remember this argument the other day, because it's kinda one of the best ones...

And Minecraft used to be good. I used to like, still kinda have a small soft spot for it even. But they decided to stop evolving the game, sell out, and advertise most of the game with "AmAZinG CoMMunITy cOnTENt". It's really only noticeable as a Minecraft fan who's been there since day one.

And they really need to give Steve back his ****ing beard already, seeing as he's always advertised with it but the default player skin doesn't have it anymore. This really irks me, because it's what made his design iconic.
Your first paragraph was about "Design not good me not want" and "Not enough effort put in the game"
Your second was primarily about "Minecraft USED to be good but now it's bad". Like what Zelda, 2D Mario, Sonic, Pokemon, etc. get.
Your third is about a beard
Personally I like my Nintendo crossover game to have Nintendo characters or at least Nintendo relevant characters in it, and not just anyone they can get the license to. Minecraft Steve and Sans are not Nintendo character, nor remotely related to Nintendo. They aren't like Simon or Mega Man, where their IPs are deeply attached to Nintendo and share a deep history with them.
No offense but this line of thinking is boring. Besides, Minecraft is a Microsoft IP Nintendo gladly promotes and they even advertised that fans of one of the companies can play with the other, that's pretty significant
Ayyyy, no need to bash my character to defend yours. Kinda forces me to defend mine about how cool they are.

Not trying to bash Banjo or Geno, they're just the most boring character choices I can think of

D

Deleted member

If Crash joins as DLC, i hope that the song from the trailer is a cover of this song:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If Crash joins as DLC, i hope that the song from the trailer is a cover of this song:

This is an absolute must mind you lol.

Speaking of which, i'm more optimistic about Crash's chances than most. I believe he's one of the more likely third party characters as DLC.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Personally I like my Nintendo crossover game to have Nintendo characters or at least Nintendo relevant characters in it, and not just anyone they can get the license to. Minecraft Steve and Sans are not Nintendo character, nor remotely related to Nintendo. They aren't like Simon or Mega Man, where their IPs are deeply attached to Nintendo and share a deep history with them.
Give this man his cup of likes, bartender.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
> Beloved characters from one of the most highly-praised platformers of all-time (and I'll keep telling people it's Tooie, because I love that game)

Did you read the post you replied to? If so, tell me how it relates to what I said at all.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
I used to be against characters with very little ties to Nintendo being in Smash, but then I was introduced to the concept of Dante being in Smash and realized I don’t really care about it as much as I thought

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Without spoiling anything roster related, has anything happened since last night?
Nah. Thread's in its 5 Stages of Grief, and it's stuck in Anger for the time being.

Considering that Sakurai puts echoes next to their bases, dont have their own number, and not even need to be on the CSS, you do have a point
That would hurt Daisy, Chrom and DS a lot, seeing how much people wanted them in. Sure, they got nothing new, but they're still incoming fighters in my heart, damn it.

wait wut? HOLY **** YALL CHECK THIS OUT
Chances for DLC were already dead and buried for her, but this just dumps an entire salt shaker on the wound.

Also, what the hell are you doing Bamco, I thought we were past nonsensical crossover additions for SC?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I like that Smash has both Nintendo-related characters and gaming legends. It makes it way more interesting(especially since the Nintendo All-Star thing has been gone since Brawl anyway).

Besides that, Minecraft has been on Nintendo for a while now and there is a Minecraft-themed 3DS. Not a lot of 3rd party franchises actually get themed consoles/handhelds to begin with. That's huge too. So yeah, it's Nintendo-related anyway.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Minecraft Steve and Sans are not Nintendo character, nor remotely related to Nintendo. They aren't like Simon or Mega Man, where their IPs are deeply attached to Nintendo and share a deep history with them.
It's been 3 years and Minecraft already has a deep history with Nintendo
-The Creeper Nintendo 3DS
-Minecraft being on every modern Nintendo System
-The Super Mario mash-up pack.
-Nintendo publishing Minecraft in Japan

Third Party characters shouldn't just be long time Nintendo mainstays. If they're big enough, you gotta acknowledge the new guys as well, and Minecraft is extremely huge.
Seriously guys, grow up...
Smash isn't a 80's/90's kids only club

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Considering this is a topic now, "Characters need strong Nintendo ties" just tells me you're boring as hell, cause if "This character isn't really Nintendo" can make you go from "Oh that looks cool" to "No thank you, this is a game about Nintendo ALLSTARS after all" then come over to my house, I have sleeping problems and that might be able to fix that

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
Why not Shantae in a DLC Pack season 3 lol

Dovahkiin and Tails! :awesome:

I'm actually interested to see how DLC will end up working out here. Sakurai doesn't come off as the kind of person who's crazy about doing DLC, but he does come off as the kind of person who likes to give the fans more and more...which is exactly what DLC is. We got 7 for Sm4sh - 3 vets, 3 third parties, and an ad. How would potential DLC go? I can't see Nintendo not offering it; they'd probably pressure Sakurai to just do it since it will sell amazingly, so who will it focus on?
New characters like Springman or Rex?
Assist promotions like Waluigi or Midna?
New third party reps like Dovahkiin (shut up let me dream)?
Extra characters in existing franchises like Skull Kid or Tails?

Assuming the Grinch leaked Smash Bros, we got the most fan requested characters, and a decent number of the next tier as well. Will there be a ballot to get the next level of fan supported characters? Will Sakurai put in a few of his surprises? Have other third party companies approached Nintendo, or possibly put it as a sidenote in their contracts?

I'd love to see loads of DLC, maybe with cheaper echoes, and of course alt costumes as well. I'm definitely up for loooooooooong DLC support with loads of characters. Let's let this Smash have a shelf life longer than Brawl, and keep giving it updates!
Yeah maybe Sakurai dev teams is bigger this time with support from the other studio who have guest character ? Also we will have to see what's Nintendo stand on DLC of course, it was just an idea like that lol ahhhhhhhhhhhhh NINTENDO YOU WILL MAKE ME BROUGHT THE SWITCH GOSH lmao.

That seems like an awful lot of characters to develop for. That depends if Sakurai's development team is smaller come time for the DLC.

Remember that he only finished Mewtwo, Ryu, Roy, and Lucas in a span of 8 months. 2 unique characters and 2 semi-clones.
I hope we will have the clarification from Sakurai when the game release ?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Cloud in Smash 4
Noctis in Tekken 7
2B in SC 6

What the **** Square? Why are you so kind for now?

D

Deleted member

If memes are enough to shoot down a character, then hoo boy do a lot of character got to leave.

I'm fine with not liking Steve, but if memes are your only reason, then you should probably have issues with nearly every character on the roster. Also, if we're gonna use "iconic" as meaning something for Smash characters, Steve has a huge leg-up on Banjo when you consider something being iconic to someone is subjective and relative to what someone has grown up with. There are plenty of people like myself that weren't around during Banjo's heyday, but were around for MC. If I'm being honest, I personally want Steve more than Banjo. I grew up with MC and still play and enjoy it to this day. Banjo is cool, but I don't really have any huge attachment to him personally.

However, this is my own opinion and preferences, nothing objective. I'll be happy for Banjo fans if they get him, but I don't think it's fair to say any character is objectively "better" than another for subjective reasons.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
I'm of the opinion that Smash should stay largely Nintendo only. Major third parties are fine, and I'm okish with characters like Ryu and Cloud (not Bayonetta she needs to go :p) but I think when people start expanding suggestions to characters like Sans or Sora or Goku or whatever I think we've strayed too far. That said I think characters that have a significant history or connection to Nintendo are ok, as that's why I support Shantae as she's not just a indie/small studio character, she's someone that not only has a connection to Nintendo but a character that Nintendo has used to market games before with. Likewise Shovel Knight is in the same boat, which is why his inclusion doesn't bother me, but someone like Sans would.

...I'm indifferent to Steve and could actually get behind him if he had a Alex alt.

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
I see more anger today than usual regarding the leak, I also see grossly unreasonable DLC hopes (a season pass with 8 characters? really?)

While I'm absolutely 1000% Team Real because no argument otherwise is solid. Insiders get things wrong all the time, and the image itself was a snapshot of a video, with artifacting and other blur I just wish we had a clearer picture so we could debate those points to finer detail, as of right now they're SUPER nitpicky especially considering the situation around the leak.

DLC is inevitable, but I think if Sakurai was to ever do three "seasons" of DLC characters, we'd have 3 in a bunch with a stage at most - I think they're going to handle it the same was as smash wii u personally, they raked in unbelievable money and I guarentee they intend to do it again

Fenn

Smash Cadet
I feel like Steve has a good chance of being in Smash, but I think that he would be better as DLC, as he's a character that semi-controversal that maybe not everyone wants in third game. Also I think it be cool if he was released a little bit later so that the crossbow from 1.14 could be implemented into his moveset.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
You know, I like this month.

It is pretty sad that this thread slowly dropping viewers between the Isabelle reveal and Grinch since everyone grew so pessimistic because the Box theory. It is really boring and seeing those expected characters many times is degrading.

But when the Grinch leak is leaked, everything blew up and the views racked over 1000. We played 4D chess of the leak whether or not the leak is real. It is much more freshening than the Box because there are characters that we thought wouldn't get in, possibly got in. It is a wildcard of representing the final roster. We have a lot of fun with the memes, the evidence we pulled to prove the Grinch's legitemacy, the coincidences that points with the leak, and the civil war between the Team Real and Team Fake.

However, as the evidence contradicting the leak is getting stronger, we are slowly walking towards the Box theory drought we have been sitting there for nearly a month. Optimism turned to Realist and views drop. Many supporters starting lose confidence. There is no legit counter but the leak is getting weaker to the point that we doubt its legitimacy.

At the same time, the Direct is one or two weeks away and there are more possible leaks revealed prior to it. So losing this leak will not bring us days of drought for a long time.

If there is a leak that looks legit, buckle up until the evidence shots it down.

Last edited:

Confirmation

Smash Ace
Because it clutters the page, basically making it inaccessible for mobile users or those with bad internet? Like what Opossum said in the previous page?
Hey, mobile user here. That argument is full of crap; massive text walls about things we went over two days ago are more a hindrance than memes.

This thread has literally become people complaining about having only the Grinch leak to talk about and people angry that people post stuff other than the Grinch leak in here.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I'm all for having minecraft content in smash. A stage. trophies, and assist, whatever.
I just don't like the idea of steve as a playable fighter simply because i feel he has no personality.
He's a regularly created character that doesn't really have any facial expressions and moves way too stiffly for my taste.
And knowing how good Sakurai is at portraying characters as close to their original appearance, i doubt they'll give Steve a face like those in minecraft story mode or more flexible movements because the stiffness and block aesthetic is a huge part of minecraft.
So yeah my reasons for not wanting him are completely aesthetic and that's ok.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Millions of children love Minecraft.

Steve is assuredly beloved. Arguably more than most of the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom