• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Smashified Rayman
OK, so I was barely around during the DLC days, but was this really all that crazy? Rayman didn't last for too long before it was revealed to be a promotional gimmick, but were things chaotic during the brief time it existed?

D

Deleted member

I confess. It was me, I did in in the Ballroom with the lead pipe.

I also totally faked this roster with some good friends of mine, and my contacts at Illumination gave me Grinch materials.
:seuss:
Here's undisputed proof.

Noipoi

Howdy!
God, I swear if Isaac is in, we better get that damn Dark Dawn sequel.

Hooooooly ****, it's been EIGHT years since that came out.
COME ON NINTENDO. SET CAMELOT FREE. STOP MAKING THEM MAKE TENNIS GAMES.
Waluigi is holding Camelot hostage, forcing them to make Tennis games for him. He won't get in Smash until he releases them.

MrHomelessHobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Orangeporrige
Didn't Mach Rider, Golden Sun, and Rhythm Heaven get trademarked renewed this year as well? And wasn't GS trademark renewed one year earlier than normal for inactive franchises?

FixedFun

Smash Apprentice
The Sprout also looks similar to the Super Mario Bros. (SMAS edition) vines/beanstalks

It's generic.

Last edited:

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
What I got out of that is... Shiek is STAYING at a Bottom Tier fighter. My God, she still SUCKS.
Did they nerf sheik in ultimate then? I thought sheik was on the good fighter tier list especially in smash 4 (unless I’m wrong I’m not that into the competitive side of smash)

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Didn't Mach Rider, Golden Sun, and Rhythm Heaven get trademarked renewed this year as well? And wasn't GS trademark renewed one year earlier than normal for inactive franchises?
Mach Rider was renewed in May. GS and RH were renewed at the same time in September.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
backgroundChongo.jpg

anyone talked about this yet? I took a nap cause this hasnt been a time for much sleep hahaha

Also this POSSIBLE golden sun item...thats something, I mean a sprout its a very generic thing BUT with what we've seen of the Grinch leaks isaac already... I dont know if it truly is a golden sun item or not but im still on board with the leaked banner here so it very well could be for golden sun imo.

Drakonix

Smash Cadet
Sorry if someone else said this, but things are moving too fast. From that Wendy's tailgate tour. They had footage of the CS screen. No Rosalina, Toon Link, or Duck Hunt. What kind of doohickery are they pulling? Where did those characters even come from. Also Rainbow Cruise is looking gorgeous.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
View attachment 172153

anyone talked about this yet? I took a nap cause this hasnt been a time for much sleep hahaha

Also this POSSIBLE golden sun item...thats something, I mean a sprout its a very generic thing BUT with what we've seen of the Grinch leaks isaac already... I dont know if it truly is a golden sun item or not but im still on board with the leaked banner here so it very well could be for golden sun imo.
I can't believe Villager's shoe is playable

KMDP

Smash Legend
OK, so I was barely around during the DLC days, but was this really all that crazy? Rayman didn't last for too long before it was revealed to be a promotional gimmick, but were things chaotic during the brief time it existed?
I didn't frequent the boards around that time (though I vaguely remember GameXplain covering it).

But anecdotes regarding the era say it was, for the very brief period it was a thing.
Waluigi is holding Camelot hostage, forcing them to make Tennis games for him. He won't get in Smash until he releases them.
He's forcing them to make Tennis games so that his birth series continues to remain relevant.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Did they nerf sheik in ultimate then? I thought sheik was on the good fighter tier list especially in smash 4 (unless I’m wrong I’m not that into the competitive side of smash)
Sorta, but they buffed her too. Slower but more powerful Bouncing Fish and no helpless animation from Burst Grenade happen to be notable changes. She seems to be about the same otherwise.

MrHomelessHobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Orangeporrige
View attachment 172153

WHAT THE HELL

I don't even know anymore

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
From what I've seen and heard, she got some slight nerfs and some slight buffs, but overall she's mostly the same as in Smash 4. So pretty damn good.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Folks, logic dictates that the footage they used was from a compilation of game footage. Considering gameplay from YouTube proves the roster on these college tours was the E3 roster, it’s fair to say that footage would be not from live gameplay.

It’s from other stuff in the game. Not from the gameplay on the tour.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
View attachment 172153

The one on the bus is the 8/8 mural. This means nothing.

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
So we have a french graphic designer potentially leaking the entire roster and possibly going to be out of a job, a youtuber who has gone off the deep end and is trending on twitter, and Wendys memeing itself onto the scene. I think its safe to say we have enough to keep us occupied until the next direct...But boy this week is making this literally the most insane timeline.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Even if she gets nerfed a little, Sheik will always be high-tier as long as she has godlike frame data and mobility. It doesn't matter if your attacks are weak when they combo into each other really well, and it doesn't matter if you lack kill power when you can just carry your opponent to the blastzone.

Gosh I hate fighting a skilled Sheik, they give you no breathing room at all. Even as Mewtwo with his zoning capabilities and godlike air dodge I still feel pressure throughout the entire match.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
A few things.

-A couple people a few pages back claimed that there actually were leaked Grinch renders that ended up in a new trailer (I guess they're talking about the Grinch in the present render), but I can't find any new trailers. Is this legit and if so source?

-I hope things turn out alright with Etika. I haven't watched every video of his but I did skim his vids from time to time and I was a huge fan back in 2015. Id hate for us to lose him this way.

-If Ray 01 way cut midway through development, could that be why they didnt bother renewing the trademark? Everything else seems renewed, but if Sakurai did a development update to Nintendo and said "**** it, we dont have time for Ray", Nintendo could drop the trademark. The trademark died pretty recently, so it's not like the timing is impossible.

-The 2 Castlevania games (SoTN and Rondo of Blood) launch tomorrow on PS4, so its time to see if I like :ultrichter: or not!

-Grinch Leak- The plot thickens in a good way?? I dont think that new sprout shows up in any of the healing fields animations. (besides the icon of the sprout being on the field)

Drakonix

Smash Cadet
Folks, logic dictates that the footage they used was from a compilation of game footage. Considering gameplay from YouTube proves the roster on these college tours was the E3 roster, it’s fair to say that footage would be not from live gameplay.

Hmm... Makes sense. Gosh what a tease :glare:

Akiak

Smash Ace
View attachment 172153

I don't think MM and Villager are in the same position in the last image... Everyone is moved around, so I don't think this means anything

Iridium

Smash Hero
Even if she gets nerfed a little, Sheik will always be high-tier as long as she has godlike frame data and mobility. It doesn't matter if your attacks are weak when they combo into each other really well, and it doesn't matter if you lack kill power when you can just carry your opponent to the blastzone.

Gosh I hate fighting a skilled Sheik, they give you no breathing room at all. Even as Mewtwo with his zoning capabilities and godlike air dodge I still feel pressure throughout the entire match.
Kirby got the shaft though. Top tier in 64 (12 characters, but still), and pitiful in pretty much every other game, although Brawl was better than Melee and 4.

Pikachu or Marth to me takes the cake for most successful character overall. Fox is close at least.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime

Yeah, it's probably just some B-roll that was given to the marketing team to use in advertisements and stuff, but someone didn't realize that it had that item in it.

It's the same as when Ganondorf was accidentally shown for Smash 4 because he was in an off-screen bubble in one shot. No one noticed, it got out, and that was that.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
So here's my personal take on this whole situation.

I think the Growth Psynergy item does hint towards Isaac being in Smash. Obviously it's not a true confirmation since franchises have had items represented in Smash without having characters represented before, (notably so with the Pitfall in Brawl, back before Villager was playable,) but the question that springs to my mind is: why did they wait this long to reveal it? Showing it off would have taken ~10 seconds in the last Direct, so it hardly would have made a difference time wise. Also, given the circumstances in which it was revealed today, it's entirely possible that they didn't intend for it to get revealed yet at all. This level of secrecy suggests to me that something much bigger is probably bundled with that item, and the logical conclusion is that Isaac is in the game.

However, while this is certainly a point in the leak's favor, it's far from a confirmation that the leak is legitimate. After all, Isaac could be in the game and the leak could be fake at the same time, and that's what I personally believe at the moment. I can't overlook the inconsistencies between the leaked empty banner and the E3 version; they just don't add up.

Here's the comparison between the two.

And here's a comparison between the E3 empty banner and the current filled banner for reference. (Excuse the fact that the E3 banner is ever so slightly zoomed in.)

The banner doesn't change at all from the E3 version to the current version from what we can observe. While it's entirely possible that the background is changing behind the characters, that would be quite bizarre since the background is likely one layer and the characters on top of it are likely just resized. However, the banner changes quite drastically in the leak in the spots that are normally obscured by characters, and despite supposedly being the final version of the banner, the leaked version notably and randomly gets less detailed. I can't fathom a scenario where someone thought it would be best to remove an entire island from the final version of the banner even though it remains unseeable behind the characters. The only logical explanation for this as far as I'm aware is that someone edited these characters out manually and then redrew the background in the spots where the characters were edited out. If you accept this, you accept the leak is fake.

With that out of the way, I think the remaining newcomers would be Isaac/Incineroar as true newcomers, (since Incineroar is just as likely as it was before if the Grinch leak is fake,) and Ken/Shadow as echoes. Even if Grinch leak is fake, if we assume Isaac is in, then it's highly likely that box theory is dead, and if so, Shadow starts to make a lot of sense again, at least to me. Finally, I think the Square Enix character is still going to be the first DLC, whether it be Sora or Geno, or even someone else. (Realistically though, I think it's one of the former two.)

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

This.

Some characters, at their most fundamental level, are powerful, and there's no getting around that. High mobility characters in general always tend to be good if not the best in their game.

That said, you could do a lot to heavy-weights to make them... not trash. And I really hope they do that for Ultimate. Ike already looks like he's going to be a monster if you're unfamiliar with him.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
View attachment 172153

Are you gonna make another follow-up video to your Grinch leak coverage and talk about this new stuff? Love your content man! I'd like to hear your thoughts!

Tyrathius

Smash Cadet
God, I swear if Isaac is in, we better get that damn Dark Dawn sequel.

Hooooooly ****, it's been EIGHT years since that came out.
COME ON NINTENDO. SET CAMELOT FREE. STOP MAKING THEM MAKE TENNIS GAMES.
Honestly, if a fourth Golden Sun ever happens, I'd prefer Camelot didn't make it. They really dropped the ball with Dark Dawn, and even their sports games have been mediocre at best the last few years.

Most of the talent behind the original games seems to be gone anyway, so they may as well hand it over to one of Nintendo's other subsidiaries.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Assuming the leak is true, what characters does everyone think we'll get for DLC?

I'm thinking Incineroar, Sora, Dixie Kong, Monster Hunter, Rayman, Lloyd Irving, Bandanna Dee, Gen 8 Pokemon, and Fire Emblem Three Houses Rep

Oh, and maybe that Granblue character

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, if a fourth Golden Sun ever happens, I'd prefer Camelot didn't make it. They really dropped the ball with Dark Dawn, and even their sports games have been mediocre at best the last few years.

Most of the talent behind the original games seems to be gone anyway, so they may as well hand it over to one of Nintendo's other subsidiaries.
That's a fair point. It's very likely they haven't got their "touch" anymore.
That said however, I would like a GS4 regardless of whoever makes it, so at least the franchise survives if not the creative team.

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
Hey, this is off topic but I'm really worried about Etika. I'm scared something horrible has happened due to his reddit post and his deleted youtube channel. Does anyone have any updates on him? I'm going through twitter and the last thing I read was that the police is trying to track him down through his phone. I'm really scared...he needs help.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
There is no way that sprout is just a "Generic Sprout". I know there are items in Smash not tied to any particular series, but some are still stylized under a consistent tone. Look at the Home Run Bat and Raygun and such. Where exactly would a Sprout fit into all this?

We also already have a "grass" item that let's you pluck things form the ground, don't forget. So it can't be for that.

Also, calling it a Mario vine? Really? That's reaching even more than the vines themselves. Mario Vines hardly ever start as sprouts.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord

Huge Mario Tennis fan here and I completely agree. Camelot either doesn't put effort or isn't receiving enough funding for their games. Aces had a baffling lack of content and characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom