• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Or the dude is just lying? If some random person you'd never met rung you up and asked, "hey dude did you commit a crime???" would you be like, "hell yeah man, high five!!"?
I definitely considered that. But I also want to check my bias and prevent myself from going "I want this leak to be true, so he's lying." Trying to keep open the possibility he's telling the truth, even though I can very well see a good reason why he would be lying. I still think this leak is likely, but there's certainly reasons to suspect it's veracity.

Also, I need to say given the twists and turns of this saga, it's incredibly confusing. :psycho:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord

Sorry to break it to you but all of that is just pure conjecture and not actual proof. And there's really no way to 100% "prove" anyone is in at this point anyway so I'd highly suggest not counting on Medusa as being in and just hoping she is.
Don’t waste your time with him. He constantly jerks off over Medusa and claims that she’s already been confirmed.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
See i'd be a little trusting of that, if we hadn't seen the Ken screenshot.
I believe Nintendo made that fake screenshot of him themselves intended to be the leak bait.. Incineroar got tied in with it because Vergeben, but still Incineroar is a freaken Pokemon so of course hes in, can we say the same for Ken? Verge claims its not Mimikyu, Lycanroc, Tapu, Decidueye or anything like that so its totally Incer Freaken roar.. Who else is it? Poplio? lol

Also we have yet to see Incineroar and if Nintendo made a leak bait to catch leakers, then its totally Ken and reason its not debunked is because Nintendo phoroshopped that pic and the reason it looks so real is because the creators made it look as real as possible so it became leak bait to catch the leakers.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Okay, can someone actually have a justifiable reason as to why Smash Ultimate's marketing has been "****ty" when all of you who say that whenever a Direct comes around then make a complete 180 and say "WOW, THAT WAS SPECTACULAR, THEY WERE SO ON POINT!!1" I see this so much and I'm done being silent about it when any of you try and say Smash Ultimate has terrible marketing yet do a 180. This has become the best hype cycle in Smash history, and you know that for a damn fact.

The Pic of the Days were ****ing terrible. They were only centralized on a social media platform exclusive to the Wii U - a dead console - and that was your only way of getting information. Half of the time? Needless information that NOBODY cared about. Some of the time? Veteran reveals. Some of the time, other kinda cool stuff.

The Smash Dojo!! was a great martyr of how to go about releasing Smash information in a good consistent manner, but it was mainly to give out little bits of new information. In this day and age with Nintendo giving Directs to release info, what use would a blog do? Smash Ultimate has this monacre of "EVERYONE IS HERE", so they're using the blog for that, and some new stuff like music here and there, and other tidbits. They're using it to celebrate the roster. Not to mention, they have to space out other game-related info too that isn't JUST Smash, so it becomes a juggling contest with a lot of things.

Literally, this is JUST like how Pokemon fans say the last game was ****, even though they loved all the hype surrounding it and the game, too. Happened with ORAS, X and Y, Sun and Moon, and no doubt will happen to Gen 8. So please, I want a logistical and justifiable list of reasons why Smash Ultimate's hype cycle has been trash, because most likely it's based on feelings.
Recency bias. I other than the month of October, the hype has been great. But October has been godawful. September was okay, but June-August was the height so far.

Wambo

Smash Ace
So is there any precedent of Nintendo sending out leak bait?
Pretty sure Verge himself admitted that Nintendo has been sending out fake information to catch employees who have been breaking NDAs. Which is funny, considering he and multiple other "insiders" think they've been getting juicy information.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Hm.
I'm not positive that I would be using precedent or patterns when trying to figure out what is going to happen.

D

Deleted member

Recency bias. I other than the month of October, the hype has been great. But October has been godawful. September was okay, but June-August was the height so far.
Exactly. And you could say the exact same thing about Brawl too, AND Smash 4. They definitely had some bad or sleepy months. But the moment I see people do a 180 after a Direct and become hypocrites is when I get a bit ticked.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
I wonder if eric is being impersonated to tank his reputation, like a disgruntled co worker wants to **** around with him and the wider public as a bonus by making it look like he did this instead.

I'm convinced this video took place on site, I just don't know if this was a framed act and it's real or an elaborate fake prank to piss off eric and the smash community. OP seems like an ******* and would probably do both things
But again, you then have to think through the entire chain of events that would need to happen in order to make this true.

They'd have to create new art, edit the old art, print it, set the stage, potentially hijack his snapchat (If it was really that guy's snapchat), and also get completely away with it while setting up a convoluted paper trail.

Seriously, attempting to paint it as a conspiracy makes an already complicated situation even more of a logistical nightmare. You'd have to be Moriarty to even think about pulling this off.

Not impossible, but the effort required contrasted with a purely vengeful (and highly speculative) motive is unlikely as all hell.

Blu99

S***post King
Switch FC
SW-7236-2735-6407
This is my first day on these forums and the amount of salt and excitement here is incredible.

I love this place already

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Verge: "I waited until I heard it from all of my sources, but Incineroar is in."
Insiders: "This can't be real, our sources say Incineroar is in."

I'd be pretty willing to say Verge was real the whole time, but that Incineroar is legitimate bait. IIRC going into Ultimate Decidueye was by far the most popular Gen 7 Pokemon and the most sensible one to 'leak', so in stark contrast Incineroar makes sense as an intentional bait character.

This is by no means confirmed, just my opinion. Someone higher up may have used Incineroar as failsafe to keep the roster from leaking, or covering it up if it did, and in a way, it must be working if every insider and their mother is plugging their ears just because 'muh Incineroar.'

(Still pouring one out for Noipoi Noipoi , Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku , and all the other Incineroar fans if he really got hyped up this much and didn't make it)
I'm gonna be fine with no Incineroar if it means my favorite non Smash franchise finally gets a rep (I wanted a Rhythm Heaven Character more than anything else)... If you should feel bad for anyone, it should be @GoldenYuiitusin

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
I agree. Getting just Ken and Incineroar after seeing this leak would be really underwhelming, and I don't care if either are someone's most-wanted. It's really not a good trade after something big like this.
Agreed 100%. I'd much rather have Grinch Leak be real than Kencineroar. With the Grinch leak some characters that I and others want are in, and the ones that are wanted but aren't in the mural are prime DLC material.

There's a chance that both could be wrong though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, you tend to believe every leak, so...
When you fire in every direction, you're bound to hit something eventually.

So why did people think Incineroar was a lock again? I hope this really is what we get, and honestly i believe it. I’m happy. (Also i really dislike Incineroar)
Verge-"messenger of the Gods "-geben, that's why.

Isn't Medusa already in the game? as a Stage Boss?
We don't even know that. Also, different Medusa.

If anything, Carmilla is likelier as a boss (though I do hope her Circle of the Moon incarnation is in as a trophy).

Last edited:

Wambo

Smash Ace
I think another possibility we're all overlooking here is that this Eric guy, if the leak is legit, is trying to deny everything after realizing how badly he ****ed up. Who was it that contacted him? Those Nintendo Actu guys?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
That's one hell of a long game to buy his trust for that damn long and a bunch of sociopathic NEETS don't have either the social tools or the foresight for that kind of thing.

The important thing about this all is that we can't be so hostile to one another. At the end of the day, we're all users with opinions, and not a single one of us knows what's going to happen before the flop. Honestly, I'm seeing a lot of points thrown around by both sides that don't even have to be mutually exclusive.
Do you go on 4chan? Some of the users there fit that description to a T.

I do agree that we ought to be civil though. I apologize if I've come off as hot-blooded. I just don't want to see people get disappointed if this is fake, and I don't like the fact that people seem more inclined to believe it because it has more characters than we've expected.
Liam's record has been... spotty, to say the least. So I'm 50/50 on this.

Same as rest of the leak.
I would be wary of Liam myself, but the point below about the dates on the Linkedin profile is a definite hit against this leak in my opinion

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
I will put some of my experience as a graphic designer to try to help you.
Do you see the place circled? The light is reflecting differently there, because the material is crooked at that point. In addition we have other points of this material that are a little crooked.

Some people are using the fact that we have inconsistencies between images because places in the image of the leak are different. But no, everything is the same, this is not an editing mark but a part of the printed material that is crooked.

You can see vaguely that the material is not 100% smooth. It forms a small curl upward, as if you were putting used paper on the table. The type of paper used in printing helps even more so.

View attachment 171973
Hey, graphic designer too here and I’ll say: almost nobody is talking about this particular part of the picture. If you really look at it you’ll see the papers are all inside plastic bags, but that doesn’t explain any weird shapes that do not match and shadows from the characters being gone, just some extra light on some parts

Iridium

Smash Hero
Well yeah i know that but how would you have that conflict between two medusa's. would probably be confusing..
Eh, I want two Ryus, and I won't stop at any costs to support it. I guess with Medusa, her appearance(s) should probably be enough to keep them unique.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Verge: "I waited until I heard it from all of my sources, but Incineroar is in."

I'd be pretty willing to say Verge was real the whole time, but that Incineroar is legitimate bait. IIRC going into Ultimate Decidueye was by far the most popular Gen 7 Pokemon and the most sensible one to 'leak', so in stark contrast Incineroar makes sense as an intentional bait character.

This is by no means confirmed, just my opinion. Someone higher up may have used Incineroar as failsafe to keep the roster from leaking, or covering it up if it did, and in a way, it must be working if every insider and their mother is plugging their ears just because 'muh Incineroar.'

(Still pouring one out for Noipoi Noipoi , Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku , and all the other Incineroar fans if he really got hyped up this much and didn't make it)
The problem to my about the owl or anything that's not that Tiger or Mimikyu is that Pokemon company are creatures of habit.

Every guy in smash has been heavily advertised ,more so in recent years.

Looking at all the evidence the owl is a nobody compared to the tiger or the ghost.

So its super weird if they went with the owl or just no one at all.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Literally, this is JUST like how Pokemon fans say the last game was ****, even though they loved all the hype surrounding it and the game, too. Happened with ORAS, X and Y, Sun and Moon, and no doubt will happen to Gen 8. So please, I want a logistical and justifiable list of reasons why Smash Ultimate's hype cycle has been trash, because most likely it's based on feelings.
I can vouch for this. It happens every time.
Not even pointing out a game's issues (sun and moon did have some flaws), just calling the game straight up bad. And now X and Y are being called good.
X and Y were good, but the vocal minority certainly didn't think so. When gen 8 rolls around, no matter how good it is, it'll be called crap and Sun and Moon will be the new golden child.

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
I believe Nintendo made that fake screenshot of him themselves intended to be the leak bait.. Incineroar got tied in with it because Vergeben, but still Incineroar is a freaken Pokemon so of course hes in, can we say the same for Ken? Verge claims its not Mimikyu, Lycanroc, Tapu, Decidueye or anything like that so its totally Incer Freaken roar.. Who else is it? Poplio? lol

Also we have yet to see Incineroar and if Nintendo made a leak bait to catch leakers, then its totally Ken and reason its not debunked is because Nintendo phoroshopped that pic and the reason it looks so real is because the creators made it look as real as possible so it became leak bait to catch the leakers.
I absolutely 100% promise you Nintendo is not literally making fake image leaks. Leak bait is just word-of-mouth misinformation.

CantGetRidOfTheRidley

Smash Apprentice

I can really see Incineroar being the bait character used to fish out a leaker. He wasn't a major request so it would be easy to notice if he got leaked. Also telling is how he is one of the latter ones revealed and we know practically nothing nor have seen nothing about him. I'm inclined to believe he just isn't there at all, or if he is as a Pokeball, stage hazard, Mii costume, so on.

but still Incineroar is a freaken Pokemon so of course hes in
I just want to note so many people say the leak is fake because there's no new Pokemon, and we've always had a new Pokemon since Pokemon is a big franchise. While that's true it wouldn't be unprecidented for a major franchise to get no new characters (Super Mario got no one in Brawl, and Zelda got no one in Smash 4). It might be odd but not unprecidented, especially considering this entry would be focused to "fan favorite" characters and there's already so mant Pokemon. Saving them as DLC would especially make sense since he could work on it well after Gen 7 is established and not guess which 'mon will be the popular one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom