• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Do you guys think Incineroar, Ken and Geno (considering he might be the Square rep from Verge's source) are the last fighters? Or do you expect some other unleaked surprises? I'm expecting at least one more echo alongside Ken, but i'm not too sure about other original fighters. Plus, i don't think Steve will make into the base roster, because you know, 103 stages.
Incineroar and Ken for sure. Probably Shadow.
Geno I’m not as sure - definitely a Square Rep (and most likely Geno) but there’s other possibilities too.

Then maybe another echo. I’m gonna guess Dixie.

Maybe one other out there character like Steve? or Mach Rider but that’s probably reaching at this point

Basically 4-6 characters left. Probably 4

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Geno being dlc doesn't make sense. He was clearly on Sakurai's mind when the project plan was made receiving a mii costume to tide over players just like K. Rool.
Just because he was on Salurai's mind doesn't mean he was top priority. Sakurai acknowledged Mewtwo's popularity at some point before Smash 4's release yet we didn't get him until DLC.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Wasn't the magazine updated saying 103 though?

Besides not like it matters since we're still gonna get stages through DLC for sure.
Indeed, but it depends on why they updated it. If it was originally a mistake, an official correction is expected (technically they don't have to, but they lose a lot of credibility if they leave a mistake without specifically correcting it). The other possibility it was an unintentional leak, and now they're doing damage control. The only thing the update tells us is it wasn't an intentional leak (unless it was intentional, but Nintendo forced their hand, which is iffy).

The one thing that gives me pause is if the SE rep is Geno, then all of Verge's rumored characters could come without a stage--two characters from returning series, one echo. But, I would seriously feel disappointed in Nintendo not clearing the air if we have known the final stage count since August--if it's final, they have no reason not to clear the record. If there's more, I'd expect them to remain silent until it's officially revealed.

Also I agree with your Big Five. They're the most long-running characters still popular today.

D

Deleted member

I apologize, but can someone run down what is going on with Luigi's new throw? I havent really kept up with the news as of late.

Shroob

Sup?
Gematsu was released in 2 parts months apart and not given any sort of live update.
Vergeben has live updates almost every day and posts almost every day.
Difference IMO.
I'm just hedging my bets.

I have no strong feelings one way or another.

If he's right, cool, I want all three of his characters, but I'm also not going to just believe he's legit yet because I want him to be right.

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
The biggest trend I've noticed in regards to the character announcements in Ultimate is that often a newcomer is announced based on fashion of sorts. Not to cause spite or anything but here's what I've built to keep keen.
Inkling - Obvious/Highly Demanded and Popular.
Ridley - Constantly Demanded by a focused group.
Simon/Richter - Cheered upon by the Retro gaming community for a long time.
King K. Rool - Cheered upon by devoted fans of the DKC Series (Like me).
Isabelle - Obvious/Pushed by exposure in the Series.

All of these Newcomers have one thing in common, They are all wanted by groups of individuals or Pushed into the limelight on the basis of exposure or history.

Whoever would be next for Ultimate, I expect them to fall between the Focused needs and the overall.

Last edited:

bilbo1993

Smash Rookie
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PGDDSBT

Hey everyone. Can you please fill this survey and help me analyse how the community feels the most likely characters are. I will analyse and post the results once the next newcomer is revealed to see how the smash community went. If you could help share that would be appreciated too.

Thanks

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
I apologize, but can someone run down what is going on with Luigi's new throw? I havent really kept up with the news as of late.
basically a blog post stated that he uses his poltergust to perform his throws - thats all we know as far as ive heard.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Apparently a recent blog entry featuring Luigi states that the Poltergust (his ghost vacuum thing) will be a part of his throw(s). It hasn't been absolutely confirmed if it means he will grab and/or throw with it, and many are worried it'll be a slow grab that can make him vulnerable, or something.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Today's Fighter
#09: Luigi
He can jump higher than his brother, Mario. His Up Special, Super Jump Punch, will gain maximum damage and launching power when hitting the opponent right at the start. It truly is a "Special" move. He also uses his new Poltergust for his throw!

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Now, I know this sounds like a little much, but I want DLC packs for Smash Ultimate that have like everything a series could get. Example:

Cave Story DLC Pack:
Original fighter: Quote
Echo fighter: Curly Brace
Assist Trophy: Balrog
Stage: Sand Zone
At least 2 music tracks.

LIke, it sounds like a whole lot would be in there, but it would be great to see something like this as a format of DLC.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Unless Incineroar has some issues that cause the game to crash, kind of a hard sell to believe it's not happening.
I'm just not ready to jump on the "Verg is completely legit" wagon.

Do I think he's credible? 90% sure.

But I'm also not going to put all the eggs into one basket.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Now, I know this sounds like a little much, but I want DLC packs for Smash Ultimate that have like everything a series could get. Example:

Cave Story DLC Pack:
At least 2 music tracks.

LIke, it sounds like a whole lot would be in there, but it would be great to see something like this as a format of DLC.
Sounds like fun - heres mine

Kingdom Hearts DLC Pack:
Original fighter: Sora
Echo fighter: Roxas
Assist Trophy: Epic Mickey (because Disney) or if Disney isn't allowed then Riku
Stage: Destiny Island
A boss battle stage where Darkside appears as the stage transitions to night - palm trees used as platforms
Hopefully more music than Final Fantasy.
>Destiny Island / Bustin' Up On The Beach
>Dearly Beloved Remix
>Destati / Night Of Fate
>Traverse Town
>Roxas Theme

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

Cave Story DLC Pack:
At least 2 music tracks.

Given how DLC has been handle in the past, this isn't that farfetched, as characters often came with stages and music. Assist trophies more iffy, but it would certainly add to the value. Echo fighters seem like a no brainer to include, because they're "free" balance wise--my only concern is third party echoes, as I feel like with third parties having an echo would double the price, since it's mainly about likeness. I could be wrong, especially with Simon/Richter. The only thing I don't see happening are DLC packs with multiple unique characters (like a "SEGA pack" or "First Party pack"). As much as it's fun to speculate about those, and I have, I feel like each character will be "special" given the time, legal contracts, and resources involved in each character.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I lowkey still would prefer a Dixie & Kiddy Kong team char rather than, her being an echo fighter or stand alone newcomer.

I believe Dixie & Diddy was rumored to be a tag-team duo for Brawl? I could be wrong, but I would love to see that executed with Dixie & Kiddy Kong.

I would imagine :GCD:+:GCB: would be Kong switch to change between which Kong leads, and both could have different specials whose damage and properties would be affected depending on if the other Kong is present/ hasn't been ringed out. Kinda like Ice Climbers.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I lowkey still would prefer a Dixie & Kiddy Kong team char rather than, her being an echo fighter or stand alone newcomer.

I believe Dixie & Diddy was rumored to be a tag-team duo for Brawl? I could be wrong, but I would love to see that executed with Dixie & Kiddy Kong.

I would imagine :GCD:+:GCB: would be Kong switch to change between which Kong leads, and both could have different specials whose damage and properties would be affected depending on if the other Kong is present/ hasn't been ringed out. Kinda like Ice Climbers.
Yes, I've been begging for more tag-team characters. I think they're such an underutilized concept that's unexplored and only works in the context of Smash. One tag team I'd really like to see is Alm and Celica.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Vergy boi probably is right about Incineroar and Ken. Doesn't mean we're only getting 2 more characters though.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Yes, I've been begging for more tag-team characters. I think they're such an underutilized concept that's unexplored and only works in the context of Smash. One tag team I'd really like to see is Alm and Celica.
Yeah and the potential for such characters are really dope, because their kit is so expanded. Hell! While i don't care for them, i wouldn't mind if Rex & Pyra was done in the same fashion too. Having a lot of Rex's specials and damage heavily reliant if Pyra is around.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433

I love the throwback to Dixie Kong's Double Trouble but honestly Kiddie is too much of a random choice. I think it'd only work with Diddy and Dixie as they're much more of an iconic pairing.

Still though, I want the DK series to be over saturated so chuck in Dixie, Funky, Cranky and the Tiny-Lanky-Chunky combo.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Just because he was on Salurai's mind doesn't mean he was top priority. Sakurai acknowledged Mewtwo's popularity at some point before Smash 4's release yet we didn't get him until DLC.
After the project plan had already been finished.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I love the throwback to Dixie Kong's Double Trouble but honestly Kiddie is too much of a random choice. I think it'd only work with Diddy and Dixie as they're much more of an iconic pairing.
Still though, I want the DK series to be over saturated so chuck in Dixie, Funky, Cranky and the Tiny-Lanky-Chunky combo.

I don't think Kiddy would be troo random, he rounds out the initial trilogy; But i understand it not being well known, as DKC3 is usually overlooked.

I'll also take a Funky Kong echo fighter.

Also I'm still disappointed this isn't one of Diddy's taunts
Diddy_kong_swag.gif

Don't get me started because I have Ideas of how i'd flood this game with DK content. lol

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Here, let's do a mental excercise.

Think of Metroid. Think of the essense of Metroid. What you like about the worlds, the music. Everything!

Think of the characters.

:ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley: are probably the first few you think of. :ultdarksamus: probably shows up if you go a little further.

Now think of DK.

:ultdk::ultdiddy: jump out for sure. :ultkrool:follows close behind.

How about Zelda?
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf: all jump to mind immediately with :ultsheik::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink: being lumped in there (due to being the same people).

Pokemon?
:ultpikachu::4charizard::ultmewtwo::squirtle::ultlucario::ultgreninja: all instantly come to mind, with :ultpichu::ultjigglypuff::ultpokemontrainer: showing up later and maybe :ivysaur: by association.

Let's try Mario!

How many characters did you think of before eventually coming to Geno?

Geno's problem isn't a lack of interest or potential. It's that he's essentially a historical footnote in a series with a pantheon of regularly used and beloved characters.

He's overshadowed by several characters in his own series to the point where people can easily be hardcore Mario fans, and never know who Geno is. This is something :ultridley::ultkrool: never had to deal with. If you were a DK or Metroid fan, you at least knew who those two were. Can you honestly say the same for Geno?

Geno's still got a shot, sure. But I'm honestly skeptical of his chances. He's truly unlike the majority of characters in Smash and doesn't have developmental shenanigans to sneak on by like :ultdoc:.
That's completely subjective, though. The first character I think of when it comes to Zelda is actually Midna. Then Zelda. Then Link. Then Toon Link.

And Pokemon? I think of Greninja after I've thought of the entirety of the first 251. And then a large portion of Sun/Moon. And some random Yugioh monsters.

Geno is certainly a one-off character, much like Skull Kid, Midna, or other fan favorites, and that hurts his chances. But these are bad examples. You can't account for everyone's personal outlook, yet you apply a personal outlook anyway.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
When people bring up ''One-Off Character"

All I can think is ''Wow. Sheik sure was in a lot of mainline Zelda games."

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
That's completely subjective, though. The first character I think of when it comes to Zelda is actually Midna. Then Zelda. Then Link. Then Toon Link.

And Pokemon? I think of Greninja after I've thought of the entirety of the first 251. And then a large portion of Sun/Moon. And some random Yugioh monsters.

Geno is certainly a one-off character, much like Skull Kid, Midna, or other fan favorites, and that hurts his chances. But these are bad examples. You can't account for everyone's personal outlook, yet you apply a personal outlook anyway.
Yeah, Geno is honestly one of the first Mario characters that would come to mind for me. I get that's not the case for most people, but that's not really a great metric for who should and shouldn't be in Smash. If we're talking Fire Emblem, the first characters that come to my mind are from a game in the franchise that only has Assist Trophy representation. Eliwood and Roy are pretty close, but even then, Blazing Blade side characters like Hawkeye and Jaffar still come to my mind before Robin or Corrin.

Vergy boi probably is right about Incineroar and Ken. Doesn't mean we're only getting 2 more characters though.
I think he's intentionally leaving out certain characters to avoid blowing the hype completely, otherwise I'm sure we'd have known about K. Rool. Hence why he's vague on who the Square Rep is among other things.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

That's true too. But I think some people are more accepting of Sheik since she's just another variation of Zelda.

Can't say I feel too strongly about many of the Zelda characters, but I wouldn't be mad if Skull Kid or Midna showed up eventually.

D

Deleted member

When Super Smash Bros. Melee was first released, The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time was still new and as such no one knew if she was going to make an appearance in a later main series game (She didn't appear in Majora's Mask, but that could've been a one off back then). As such, Sheik seemed like a reasonable idea at time as she very well could've become a main stay in The Legend of Zelda franchise.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, Geno is honestly one of the first Mario characters that would come to mind for me. I get that's not the case for most people, but that's not really a great metric for who should and shouldn't be in Smash. If we're talking Fire Emblem, the first characters that come to my mind are from a game in the franchise that only has Assist Trophy representation. Eliwood and Roy are pretty close, but even then, Blazing Blade side characters like Hawkeye and Jaffar still come to my mind before Robin or Corrin.

I think he's intentionally leaving out certain characters to avoid blowing the hype completely, otherwise I'm sure we'd have known about K. Rool. Hence why he's vague on who the Square Rep is among other things.
He's not 'leaving stuff out'.

Vergeben isn't a 'nice' person if you've ever seen him outside of his initial leak posts, he 'wants' the glory of being 'the one who leaked'.

He has nothing to gain by leaving out a character, because that could bite him in the ass in the long run when he claims "I'm the one who leaked Ultimate's roster" for street cred later down the line when he leaks another game's contents.

The only character he's claimed to have known about but not say anything was Richter, and that's because he didn't know if Richter was an assist.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I really wish they thought of something more clever for Dark Samus's name. "Dark Samus" really undersells just how cool a concept it is. A superorganism that possesses Samus's discarded armor and organically fuses with it being a nigh unstoppable force.

Phazon Parasite, Varia Prime, Parasite Armor, Corrupted Suit, hell even just calling it "Phazon" would be more memorable to the outside world than "Dark Samus."
Ahem...

...You know, Dark Samus' official other name?

I hope no one has forgotten Dark Samus is Metroid Prime, the namesake of the sub-series. Therefore, Dark Samus can still be referred to as Metroid Prime or perhaps even Prime by itself.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
When Super Smash Bros. Melee was first released, The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time was still new and as such no one knew if she was going to make an appearance in a later main series game (She didn't appear in Majora's Mask, but that could've been a one off back then). As such, Sheik seemed like a reasonable idea at time as she very well could've become a main stay in The Legend of Zelda franchise.
Plus she was planned in Twilight Princess

Cave Story DLC Pack:
At least 2 music tracks.

A DLC pack I'd buy instantly is

Order of Ecclesia Pack
2 fighters: Shanoa and Albus
Assist trophy: Barlowe
Boss: Eligor
New songs: A remix of Empty Tome, Sorrow's Distortion, Lament to the Master and A Clashing of Waves

And for purely characters I'd like a...
Capcom Fighter Pack
Contains Dante, Morrigan, Chun Li and Bass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom