• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Is there anyone who dislikes the new air dodging? I realized that I haven't heard much about it on here.
Well, it's basically Melee's air dodge without the helplessness. It gets rid of unnecessary air dodge spamming, but it means you can now waveland (kinda) and even use it for recovery close to the ledge. Perhaps the lag can be lowered a tiny bit, but I find it somewhat fair.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
**** me if this is what other Elma fans are like I almost wish she wasn't my third most-wanted character
Nooo I promise we aren't like that trust me. Xenoblade fans are super chill and nice people, I've been involved in the "fandom" pretty much everywhere and it's a super nice community.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Alright, I love Decidueye. He's my Alolan starter of choice and I think he'd make a great fighter. But let's be real here, being an archer isn't as huge of a selling point as we think it is. Just look at this guy.
:ultpit:
Yeah, archery is barely implemented into his moveset at all. They gave him a pair of blades to fight with so he rarely uses his arrows. But riddle me this; why do you think they chose to design him that way? He fought almost exclusively with arrows in his base game, so why did they feel the need to change that? It's because archer-based movesets aren't as amazing of a fit as we sometimes make them out to be in Smash Bros.

Projectile balance in this game is difficult, especially when you consider how powerful projectile camping can be in free-for-alls. Decidueye is able to focus on a long-range projectile heavy moveset in Pokken because that's a game balanced around projectile zoning - most characters have decent enough ranged options and even if they don't canceling counters into dashes is far easier to pull off then consistently perfect shielding everything. Smash Brothers tends to go far lighter on that however. It's why Samus likes to smack people with her arm canon and why Fox prefers to kick his enemies over firing his laser at them. Even with the recent Mega Man and Villager breaking those trends somewhat, a lot of their projectiles are still fairly short-ranged or weak. It'd probably be the same with Decidueye. His long range options would likely be fairly weak, slow or otherwise limited, and his moveset would focus far more heavily on mid-range to close-range combat, as is the case with most characters.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Decidueye could be a fun and interesting fighter, but I don't think the difference between him and Incineroar is quite as night and day as people make it out to be. At the end of the day, Smash Brothers is primarily focused on close range combat. It makes sense to me why the creator would pick a character who specializes in close range grappling.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Nooo I promise we aren't like that trust me. Xenoblade fans are super chill and nice people, I've been involved in the "fandom" pretty much everywhere and it's a super nice community.
(Don't worry, I know from the Elma thread and KOS-MOS thread and some friends in real life that most Xeno fans are a fun bunch. Shoutouts to Rie and the other Elma supporters! I was just kidding around.)

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Have y'all seen Omni's "Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions"?

One of them is that, basically, there is always going to be that one character who just beats everone else, like Bayo in smash 4 right now. And when that character gets nerfed, then a different character will reign over the others, and so on.

Edit; God, I love Omni's videos. He's just so funny XD

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Good lord, some people need to stop treating Smash rosters as if they're their lives depend of it. Doing that will just bring more harm than good.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I never told anyone to like him, I was just refuting claims that he wouldn't be interesting.
Grammar please. :troll:

No, but seriously it’s not that. I mean, moveset concepts can be subjective at times and not everyone views them the same (I personally don’t think Incineroar can bring much), but I’m talking about how either side bring up the same things again.

I want to ask you this, how many times did you bring up Incineroar being a heel and can using chairs and tables for his moveset? It’s a lot since people have been making the same discussions when surrounding Incineroar. I practically expected someone to say this now.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
What's the Geno argument over?
Basically?
We know that it's not Nintendo who's in Panics mode. It's Square-Enix that are annoyed about something
Meaning that it can be one of the following with the Timeline of "A month ago"

-Sassy Geno in Delfino (around two month ago tho)

-KH-Creator slipping up with his Tweet and deleting it sonic fast (Literally a month ago today)

-A leak that only a tiny circle of leakers have and we're not allowed to know yet.

And then, people argued about Geno.
Overhyping his chance
Underselling his chance
Thowing **** at each others.

People not respecting other person opinon.
People still believing in characters being >Lock

And that's the gist f it

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I think it was whether or not his fans were band-wagoners, and how popular he really is.
I "bandwagoned" in the sense that I began rooting for him more vocally in Ultimate, but I played Mario RPG as a child and always liked the character. Just never expected him to have a real shot at being in.

Because Ultimate changed that quite a bit, he's got a genuine shot so I'm being much more vocal. He's also much more likely than my #1 pick.

If you say Geno isn't actually popular you're not bright lol. The character is only remembered due to his popularity with the Smash community, which like it or not is, you know, popularity.

So popular he got a Mii costume.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

One of them is that, basically, there is always going to be that one character who just beats everone else, like Bayo in smash 4 right now. And when that character gets nerfed, then a different character will reign over the others, and so on.
There will probably always be a "best character" but it doesn't have to be as extreme as Bayonetta. You could try and defend Brawl Metaknight the same way yet how many people are trying to defend that in this day and age? After the Diddy nerf, and before the Bayo DLC, no single character was that overcentralizing in Smash 4's metagame. We saw a lot of character diversity and were often unable to agree on who exactly was the absolute best.

Iridium

Smash Hero

I mean, yeah. That's kinda how it is. If :metaknight: was wiped from the game, people most likely would have went for :popo: to hate. :jigglypuffmelee: isn't the best, but definitely succeeds in ways that triggers a portion of fans, but :icsmelee: (again) would be pretty bad for some to see. Having multiple top tiers makes this easy to see happen.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Basically?
We know that it's not Nintendo who's in Panics mode. It's Square-Enix that are annoyed about something
Meaning that it can be one of the following with the Timeline of "A month ago"

-Sassy Geno in Delfino (around two month ago tho)

-KH-Creator slipping up with his Tweet and deleting it sonic fast (Literally a month ago today)

-A leak that only a tiny circle of leakers have and we're not allowed to know yet.

And then, people argued about Geno.
Overhyping his chance
Underselling his chance
Thowing **** at each others.

People not respecting other person opinon.
People still believing in characters being >Lock

And that's the gist f it
Wait, I thought Nintendo was the one in panic mode???

7982Brick

Smash Cadet
There will be instances, where characters get in that, were not in our top 10 list and that's normal. I could care less if Geno gets in but you will never see me attacking or counterarguing someone who wants Geno in the game. At the end of the day if he gets in I’ll be happy for his fans and hey I'll still buy the amiibo. Unless your name is Sakurai you don't have any reason to say a character does or doesn't deserve to be in Smash. Let fans dream and hope for their character to be in smash and don't be rude just because you hate the character. Just don't comment and go on with your life. Thank you!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Wait, I thought Nintendo was the one in panic mode???
Tansut explained how he never specifically mentioned Nintendo, then went on to use "they" again; he seemed to insinuate Square Enix, though that may just be us seeing how he leaked Cloud.

well I got ninja'd again.

edit: well, now that I read it again, he mentioned him feeling like it confirms Vergeben's stance on it being a rep. from that company, so yup, definitely SE.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean, yeah. That's kinda how it is. If :metaknight: was wiped from the game, people most likely would have went for :popo: to hate. :jigglypuffmelee: isn't the best, but definitely succeeds in ways that triggers a portion of fans, but :icsmelee: (again) would be pretty bad for some to see. Having multiple top tiers makes this easy to see happen.
There will probably always be a "best character" but it doesn't have to be as extreme as Bayonetta. You could try and defend Brawl Metaknight the same way yet how many people are trying to defend that in this day and age? After the Diddy nerf, and before the Bayo DLC, no single character was that overcentralizing in Smash 4's metagame. We saw a lot of character diversity and were often unable to agree on who exactly was the absolute best.
See, the whole "OP Character" thing is why I don't play competitive Smash. There are lot of other reasons, but that's one of them.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Tansut explained how he never specifically mentioned Nintendo, then went on to use "they" again; he seemed to insinuate Square Enix.
Source please?

Nope, that's the news of today lmao. The leaker soft confirmed that it's a third party company that is in panic mode. And since he leaked Cloud, not that hard to guess lmao
Hm.

I really do believe it's Geno or Sora at this rate as I cannot recall literally any deconfirmed leak with any other SQ rep.

However it's worth mentioning KH man saying "Yes" to Sora isn't a leak traditionally. That was out there on a public Twitter account for all to see. Not saying it can't be what they're talking about though.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Grammar please. :troll:

No, but seriously it’s not that. I mean, moveset concepts can be subjective at times and not everyone views them the same (I personally don’t think Incineroar can bring much), but I’m talking about how either side bring up the same things again.

I want to ask you this, how many times did you bring up Incineroar being a heel and can using chairs and tables for his moveset? It’s a lot since people have been making the same discussions when surrounding Incineroar. I practically expected someone to say this now.
Several times to different people. But the thing is they all made the same arguments against him, which is why I make the same points.
If someone shows up with a different argument i'll have something different to say, but so far all opposed to him seem to have similar ideas about him.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Incineroar is a heel wrestler. Heel wrestlers employ dirty tactics in order to win by any means necessary.
He could spit in opponents eyes, burn their faces, hit below the belt, smash them with flaming chairs, body slam them while his bodies on fire.
And that's just in general! I haven't even got into the moves he learns as a Pokemon!

He could definitely be interesting.
Only things he can’t do is bring up dead friends/family members, kill, and other rated r things
LOL people still mad at the king of Smash?
View attachment 170766
What's the Geno argument over?
Their opinion matters though
5768A67D-2B9C-4D09-B6EF-2A40226CD33C.gif

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
However it's worth mentioning KH man saying "Yes" to Sora isn't a leak traditionally. That was out there on a public Twitter account for all to see. Not saying it can't be what they're talking about though.
I mean, it could be why Square-Enix are annoyed internally, since he goofed up-

He also specifically said that, he don't even know what kind of leak it is, whenever it's picture, text or whatever.

Watch it as both Sassy Geno and the Sora tweet are right.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Incineroar armed to the teeth with weaponized furniture is a higher tier than Incineroar with just Pokemon moves

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Remember kiddos, I am the real leaker:

6000: We'll be 1.5 months away from release
7000: A leak creates mass hysteria of salt and joy.
8000: the game still has two weeks before release
9000: game releases, DLC talk immediately begins.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I mean, it could be why Square-Enix are annoyed internally, since he goofed up-

He also specifically said that, he don't even know what kind of leak it is, whenever it's picture, text or whatever.

Watch it as both Sassy Geno and the Sora tweet are right.
That's not really my point though I don't see how you can classify the KH man post as a leak. A goof-up if anything. Specific but vital imo.

Hah, I'd absolutely love that. I really miss the brief 2 SQ reps days.

D

Deleted member

You know what? I'm gonna laugh so hard if all this ridiculous arguing and **** slinging over Incineroar all amount to nothing because the Pokemon rep is Zerazora.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Well if we were going to get a direct that had any smash info.. Imo this week woulda been the last week for it. We likely wont hear anything til November.

As such what ya'll doing for halloween? I planned on watching the old Universal Black and white monster movies and playing Castlevania.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Well if we were going to get a direct that had any smash info.. Imo this week woulda been the last week for it. We likely wont hear anything til November.

As such what ya'll doing for halloween? I planned on watching the old Universal Black and white monster movies and playing Castlevania.
Why would it get less likely the later we go???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom