• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
**** me if this is what other Elma fans are like I almost wish she wasn't my third most-wanted character
Please don't let me speak for Elma fans. She isn't even my most-wanted character. But I feel like Xenoblade X could have used more promotion than a FE game that already had multiple versions and plenty of advertising before.

And I wasn't trying to throw shade at Meganium fans. I was just trying to use it as an example of how being a starter isn't automatically enough to make a Pokemon very popular.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Most of Incineroar's popularity is unauthentic and the only reason it became so strong in VGC is because it's Masuda's favorite Alola starter and GameFreak made sure to give it all the tools it needed while screwing over the other Alola starters. It's a similar situation to Greninja, but at least Greninja actually has a good design and lots of legitimate fans rather than people who only want certain characters in because it would make other people "salty".
Incineroar is cool because wrestling is cool and I'm getting a huge inkling that you're a big nerd

Noipoi

Howdy!
Greninja has plenty that made him unique though. What would Incineroar offer that hasn't already been done before?
Incineroar is a heel wrestler. Heel wrestlers employ dirty tactics in order to win by any means necessary.
He could spit in opponents eyes, burn their faces, hit below the belt, smash them with flaming chairs, body slam them while his bodies on fire.
And that's just in general! I haven't even got into the moves he learns as a Pokemon!

He could definitely be interesting.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Bowser and K. Rool can already use wrestling moves. Incineroar would just be redundant. Maybe Sakurai will surprise us and give him a bunch of world-famous wrestling tactics (if he gets in), but even then there are several more unique Pokemon that could be included.
Think about it: Incineroar could hit characters with chairs. Flaming chairs. edit: ninja'd.

Then there's lariats and whatever else.

Last edited:

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Greninja has plenty that made him unique though. What would Incineroar offer that hasn't already been done before?
We already have a ninja as Sheik, so what would Greninja bring to the table? Quite a lot, as Sakurai has proven.

And since you want a list, I'll give you some.

Darkest Lariat, Malicious Moonsalut, Bulk Up, a variety of wrestling based grabs (there are more than just the ones K. Rool uses), and utilising his fire belt as so:

You are literally just salty at him.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Please don't let me speak for Elma fans. She isn't even my most-wanted character. But I feel like Xenoblade X could have used more promotion than a FE game that already had multiple versions and plenty of advertising before.
That's not how marketing works. You'd want to make a investment to something already proved it can pay you back.

D

Deleted member

Elma's just another sword character. What could she offer that Shulk hasn't already done before?

Two can play at this game.

Last edited by a moderator:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Combofiend?

Is that you?
If you were to actually think about it, these characters are just functions. They're just doing things. Pikachu, case and point, is a favorite because he's really fast and has great mobility, right? So our more technical players, all they want to do is short hop and that kind of stuff. Well guess what, the Mii Brawler can do the same thing, Captain Falcon can do the same thing. Lucina can do the same thing. Go ahead and try them out.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Since we were talking about Geno, I do want to talk about something. Square Enix wasn’t the one that didn’t want Geno in Brawl, Nintendo didn’t want to include Geno.

I’m in a business class now, and I realized that Square Enix would be stupid to not allow Geno. Financially, it doesn’t matter if it was Cloud or Sora because Square Enix would’ve still profited from the sales of the game because of Geno. I would be hard pressed if Square Enix could’ve been that dumb to miss on a opportunityike that.

It’s the other way around. In Brawl, Smash just recently had third parties and they were your big heavy hitters. Not only that, but Nintendo didn’t really have any way of knowing which characters were popular outside of the obvious ones because they didn’t have any popularity polls at the time. Yeah there was one for Brawl, but that was done long after the project plan and deep into production. So back in 2004, Nintendo didn’t know if Geno would help bring people to the game, or if Geno was a popularity request, only Square would really get a win from that situation, so they decided against it.

In the end, Cloud ended up getting in for being a big icon, so Sakurai most likely decided to grab Geno when he had the chance. The ballot didn’t really take into account on Smash 4 aside from Bayonetta, so it’s probably Ultimate where Geno has a shot since his popularity would’ve been taken here.
I feel like Geno's chances of appearing increased a little after reading this.

Iridium

Smash Hero
All I'll say is that Incineroar is a real wrestler. On fire, with a unique personality among other traits. Just, everything about him is distinguishable. I can't see him being a copy of anyone we have right now, and that feeling for me won't change.

Noipoi

Howdy!
All I'll say is that Incineroar is a real wrestler. On fire, with a unique personality among other traits. Just, everything about him is distinguishable. I can't see him being a copy of anyone we have right now, and that feeling for me won't change.
It's not a feeling, it's the truth ;).

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Oh **** me in the ass with more Incineroar hate talk please.

Can people just understand that they have their own opinions. People shouldn’t tell others to stop supporting a character because they like them. And Incineroar supporters shouldn’t keep coming back to tell people why they should like Incineroar if they flat out don’t.

I just don’t like the idea of Incineroar in Smash, but the reason that makes it really annoying for me when we talk about Incineroar is because people keep bringing up the same points and argue about the same things for the nth time.

How many times did someone bring up the fact that Incineroar is a heel and that he can use chairs to fight and all again?

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Apparently, the reason as to why Youtube was down for 2 hours was because of someone leaking a video of a reptilian
Had no idea this was a thing, but it's just a thing. Just checked, and...I saw things I didn't expect to see.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Guys, can we please just ignore the blatant trolls? Thank you.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
This just in: local nerds continue to argue about which character deserved to be in Smash first while taking Smash rosters far too seriously for their own good. More on the story tonight at 10.
Now back to Jason with Sports.
Did somebody say SPORTS?!

Noipoi

Howdy!
Oh **** me in the *** with more Incineroar hate talk please.

Can people just understand that they have their own opinions. People shouldn’t tell others to stop supporting a character because they like them. And Incineroar supporters shouldn’t keep coming back to tell people why they should like Incineroar if they flat out don’t.

I just don’t like the idea of Incineroar in Smash, but what make it annoying when we talk about Incineroar is because people keep bringing up the same points for the nth time.
I never told anyone to like him, I was just refuting claims that he wouldn't be interesting.

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
Think about it: Incineroar could hit characters with chairs. Flaming chairs. edit: ninja'd.

Then there's lariats and whatever else.
But Mr. Game and Watch can already hit characters with chairs and flames! Separately, but still!

Noipoi

Howdy!
I just don’t like the idea of Incineroar in Smash, but the reason that makes it really annoying for me when we talk about Incineroar is because people keep bringing up the same points and argue about the same things for the nth time.

How many times did someone bring up the fact that Incineroar is a heel and that he can use chairs to fight and all?
Also, I only bring up the "same points" because the people who crap on him (not dislike, just crap) seen to either have never heard these points, or choose to forget them.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Since we were talking about Geno, I do want to talk about something. Square Enix wasn’t the one that didn’t want Geno in Brawl, Nintendo didn’t want to include Geno.

I’m in a business class now, and I realized that Square Enix would be stupid to not allow Geno. Financially, it doesn’t matter if it was Cloud or Sora because Square Enix would’ve still profited from the sales of the game because of Geno. I would be hard pressed if Square Enix could’ve been that dumb to miss on a opportunityike that.

It’s the other way around. In Brawl, Smash just recently had third parties and they were your big heavy hitters. Not only that, but Nintendo didn’t really have any way of knowing which characters were popular outside of the obvious ones because they didn’t have any popularity polls at the time. Yeah there was one for Brawl, but that was done long after the project plan and deep into production. So back in 2004, Nintendo didn’t know if Geno would help bring people to the game, or if Geno was a popularity request, only Square would really get a win from that situation, so they decided against it.

In the end, Cloud ended up getting in for being a big icon, so Sakurai most likely decided to grab Geno when he had the chance. The ballot didn’t really take into account on Smash 4 aside from Bayonetta, so it’s probably Ultimate where Geno has a shot since his popularity would’ve been taken here.
I would 100% agree for you...

If all third parties weren't a case to case basis.
Sonic for exemple, came back to Smash 4 after a deal between Sega and Nintendo, the deal was that Sega would make Exclusive game for Nintendo, Get the right to make another Mario and Sonic Olympics and the Infamous Sonic Boom.

Nintendo get the right to Use Sonic in Smash 4.
Both side get something, Sega get increase of sales with Sonic in Smash 4, and can sell their exclusive games while having the Mario Licences.
Nintendo get Sonic for Smash 4 and exclusive games as bad as they were.
No Idea for Ultimate, perhaps they just decided to let him go after all this time alongside Bayonetta, well...Except Bayonetta 3

As for Square
Perhaps for Geno in brawl it was what happened...
But you know, I'm willing to bet my right hand that, Cloud coming back for Ultimate have something to do with the sudden surge of FF games on Switch, and ESPECIALLY FFVII.
Cloud is a walking advertisement, and Square get dosh by attracting people in the FF games.
Who knows, Konami seems to be the easiest one of the bunch right now to work with, but you have to be blind to not see the sudden "Oh yeah, we got our character in Smash, we release a Game collection, even if it's not on Nintendo platform, and btw, here's our Most recent Anime on netflix!!!!"

So, I'm not sure, it could be true, but I'm still in the camp of Square being ****ing stingy and horrible to work with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom