• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Geno himself has little demand outside of hardcore 90's kids; literally any Final Fantasy protagonist would blow him out of the water big time. Or Sora.
I didn't say I hate him or would be mad if he got in; I'd just personally prefer a more unexpected character at this point in time and would find Geno's inclusion to be mildly disappointed.

Holy **** I feel like I'm on gamefaqs.
>Robin was the only unique FE character planned for most of Smash 4's development; Lucina was a promoted alt costume (same deal with Palutena and Dark Pit; everybody expected Palutena, DP was an alt promoted at the last minute)
>Roy was added so they could have a hype Melee veteran alongside Lucas, with Roy being the most popular after Mewtwo (and pretty much entirely due to Smash at that)
>Corrin would've been a promotional-based character no mater what; the fact that Fates had released in Japan but hadn't in the West was considered ideal timing, and even Sakurai was initially against their inclusion until he was presented with their moveset potential.
Elma would have been a better promotional character to include in Smash 4's DLC and you know it.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Umm... those were not my intentions when posting that.

Apologies.
Oh ok good! Then things are still civil, yeah? It just seemed like you were going at his balls. I mean, they might be really lovely, so...

I guess I should apologize, too. There are so many nasty personalities out there hell bent on making people feel like shiz. I'm just not a huge fan of that. Disagreement is OK, discussion is OK, and controversy is OK. Belittling, name-calling, and attacking someone's character because of an opinion are not.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
It'd also make a lot of people happy.
Don't try to act like he isn't wanted.
Most of Incineroar's popularity is unauthentic and the only reason it became so strong in VGC is because it's Masuda's favorite Alola starter and GameFreak made sure to give it all the tools it needed while screwing over the other Alola starters. It's a similar situation to Greninja, but at least Greninja actually has a good design and lots of legitimate fans rather than people who only want certain characters in because it would make other people "salty".

osby

Smash Obsessed
And Sakurai has already said Geno to be a popular request.

If he get's in, it won't just be because of his own bias. He may very well not get in, but he's not very unlikely either.
Bias definitely will help (Sakurai loves old school characters) but moveset potential, fan demand and representing an important part of Super Mario RPGs is a bigger deal.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Wait, are we back to arguing about who should have gotten in first again? Why?

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Oh ok good! Then things are still civil, yeah? It just seemed like you were going at his balls. I mean, they might be really lovely, so...

I guess I should apologize, too. There are so many nasty personalities out there hell bent on making people feel like shiz. I'm just not a huge fan of that. Disagreement is OK, discussion is OK, and controversy is OK. Belittling, name-calling, and attacking someone's character because of an opinion are not.
I'd never belittle anybody. I'm terribly sorry if my post came off like that.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Arguing over which Pokemon is more-popular is pointless, the Pokemon is decided before the games even come out if we go by what happened with Greninja.

I want Gengar, but I know we're only getting either Incineroar and Decidueye if a Pokemon at all, and among the concept art, Sakurai may have leaned towards one of these two starters. Some people like Incineroar more, some Decidueye, some both, some couldn't care less.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It's 2018. We have Mewtwo coexisting with Lucario, Roy coexisting with Roy Koopa Ike and Corrin coexisting in the same game with King K.Rool.

Can we get over this "X character deserves it more!" mentality?
Most of Incineroar's popularity is unauthentic and the only reason it became so strong in VGC is because it's Masuda's favorite Alola starter and GameFreak made sure to give it all the tools it needed while screwing over the other Alola starters. It's a similar situation to Greninja, but at least Greninja actually has a good design and lots of legitimate fans rather than people who only want certain characters in because it would make other people "salty".
Pretty sure I saw a lot of Incineroar fans before Intimidate Incineroar was made legal. Just because you don't personally like it doesn't mean the design isn't popular. Again, controversial = / = unpopular.

People like Incineroar because it's goofy and cool at the same time. Okay maybe you don't think it's cool, but a lot of people out there legitimately to. Its design and movements reek of personality, whether you like it or not. And personally, I really dislike Greninja's design and think he's the ugly one, but I'm not whining that he got in over my Pokemon of choice.

osby

Smash Obsessed
What can I say, Fire Emblem is evil and so are anime swordsmen! Only Captain Falcon and Dedede can stop these anime menaces from ruining Smash! :troll:
*insert overused Kirby/F-Zero anime joke here*

You can't measure honesty but most of the Incineroar fans I've met here are pretty nice people. You can support any character for any reason without being a **** about it.

Also, he's a starter, so he's fans. That's a rule.

Noipoi

Howdy!
1. No his popularity is not unauthentic, that's stupid. Even if some like him because he's good competitively they still like him.

2. Design is subjective. I personally think he's got a good design.

3. Are you implying Incineorar has no legitimate fans? Because that's pretty stupid. Do I not exist then?

4. I don't want Incineroar because it would make others salty, I want him because I like him. The only salty one here seems to be you.

If you don't like Incineroar that's fine, whatever. But none of these statements are correct. You don't have to make up things to justify disliking a character. Just dislike him and let others like him.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Arguing over which Pokemon is more-popular is pointless, the Pokemon is decided before the games even come out if we go by what happened with Greninja.

I want Gengar, but I know we're only getting either Incineroar and Decidueye, and among the concept art, Sakurai may have leaned towards one of these two starters.
If Incineroar gets in over Decidueye, it will probably be because GameFreak/TPCi forced him to. You don't just look at a unique archer owl with plant and shadow-based powers then look at the generic fiery brawler and go, "That would be way more unique!"

D

Deleted member

This just in: local nerds continue to argue about which character deserved to be in Smash first while taking Smash rosters far too seriously for their own good. More on the story tonight at 10.
Now back to Jason with Sports.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
1. No his popularity is not unauthentic, that's stupid. Even if some like him because he's good competitively they still like him.

2. Design is subjective. I personally think he's got a good design.

3. Are you implying Incineorar has no legitimate fans? Because that's pretty stupid. Do I not exist then?

4. I don't want Incineroar because it would make others salty, I want him because I like him. The only salty one here seems to be you.

If you don't like Incineroar that's fine, whatever. But none of these statements are correct. You don't have to make up things to justify disliking a character. Just dislike him and let others like him.
I wouldn't mind him at all, I'd rather like him in fact. Mostly, because he's a cat. :p

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Elma would have been a better promotional character to include in Smash 4's DLC and you know it.
Infinitely more people owned a 3DS than a Wii U.
But seriously, are having this freaking argument 3 years later? Like, seriously? I'm getting major gamefaqs feels over here.

I'm not a nineties kid and I want Geno.
Am I a Unicorn?
In my experience, yes. I have nothing against desiring the character; it's just that, from what I've seen, most who do desire him grew up with SMRPG.

Anyways, a google trends analysis a certain gamefaqs user (one of the few sane ones who's been there since 2005) did comparing Geno, Chrom, Simon Belmont, and K.Rool searches also involving "Smash" during 2015:
https://trends.google.com/trends/ex... K Rool Smash,Chrom Smash,Simon Belmont Smash

It's not end-all-be-all, but even interest in Chrom outdid him (quite handily, if you ignore the spike from when Geno was announced as a Mii FIghter costume). Just food for thought, really.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If Incineroar gets in over Decidueye, it will probably be because GameFreak/TPCi forced him to. You don't just look at a unique archer owl with plant and shadow-based powers then look at the generic fiery brawler and go, "That would be way more unique!"
Elements mean nil in Smash and Incineroar can do close combat. And Smash is a fighting game, so a wrestler can easily have a more interesting design than an archer. I think both can be unique but Decidueye isn't a clear winner.

Noipoi

Howdy!
You don't know Sakurai. Maybe he did think Incineroar was cooler.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
I seem to recall Sakurai choosing Greninja because he thought he'd make for a unique moveset, not being forced by anyone. Why exactly would that change for Incineroar? Just cause you don't like him?

Last edited:

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Who do you guys think have the best artwork / character poses? I personally really like Captain Falcon, Shulk, Simon and Snake. I think I like Corrin’s character pose the least.
This isn't necessarily a comment about which character pose I like the most, but more so which character I wish had a different pose: Mewtwo.

He (I know he is technically an it, but it's hard to break old habits, so bear with me) has so much power and can be so terrifying, but I feel like that's squandered in his renders. I wish he was floating, hand outstretched, with his eyes were glowing. Or like this: https://goo.gl/images/iH45zZ. This would be dope.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Anyways, a google trends analysis a certain gamefaqs user (one of the few sane ones who's been there since 2005) did comparing Geno, Chrom, Simon Belmont, and K.Rool searches also involving "Smash" during 2015:
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=2015-01-01 2015-12-31&geo=US&q=Geno Smash,Ridley Smash,King K Rool Smash,Chrom Smash,Simon Belmont Smash

It's not end-all-be-all, but even interest in Chrom outdid him (quite handily, if you ignore the spike from when Geno was announced as a Mii FIghter costume). Just food for thought, really.
Interesting that Geno and Ridley are neck-and-neck.

stay away from the starman ya dang psychotic space dragon.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Elements mean nil in Smash and Incineroar can do close combat. And Smash is a fighting game, so a wrestler can easily have a more interesting design than an archer. I think both can be unique but Decidueye isn't a clear winner.
Bowser and K. Rool can already use wrestling moves. Incineroar would just be redundant. Maybe Sakurai will surprise us and give him a bunch of world-famous wrestling tactics (if he gets in), but even then there are several more unique Pokemon that could be included.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Since we were talking about Geno, I do want to talk about something. Square Enix wasn’t the one that didn’t want Geno in Brawl, Nintendo didn’t want to include Geno.

I’m in a business class now, and I realized that Square Enix would be stupid to not allow Geno. Financially, it doesn’t matter if it was Cloud or Sora because Square Enix would’ve still profited from the sales of the game because of Geno. I would be hard pressed if Square Enix could’ve been that dumb to miss on a opportunityike that.

It’s the other way around. In Brawl, Smash just recently had third parties and they were your big heavy hitters. Not only that, but Nintendo didn’t really have any way of knowing which characters were popular outside of the obvious ones because they didn’t have any popularity polls at the time. Yeah there was one for Brawl, but that was done long after the project plan and deep into production. So back in 2004, Nintendo didn’t know if Geno would help bring people to the game, or if Geno was a popularity request, only Square would really get a win from that situation, so they decided against it.

In the end, Cloud ended up getting in for being a big icon, so Sakurai most likely decided to grab Geno when he had the chance. The ballot didn’t really take into account on Smash 4 aside from Bayonetta, so it’s probably Ultimate where Geno has a shot since his popularity would’ve been taken here.

I hope Sakurai decided to put her in the project plan for Ultimate instead.

I have a feeling that Sakurai may have went for Corrin, seeing how it could’ve been a one time only situation and how he liked the shape shifting idea and thought it can bring something new. Where as Elma was supposed to be relevant for a couple of years after, seeing how they said that wanted to keep supporting X with DLC.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Bowser and K. Rool can already use wrestling moves. Incineroar would just be redundant. Maybe Sakurai will surprise us and give him a bunch of world-famous wrestling tactics (if he gets in), but even then there are several more unique Pokemon that could be included.
You know this is going to led a lenghty discussion about how many swordfighters there are in Smash but you still did.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Where's Meganium's popularity then?
Meganium may not be all that popular but if you throw shade at the Chikorita line you'll see their angry fans start popping up.

But even then, Meganium would still be the exception, not the rule. The vast majority of starters have some degree of popularity and Incineroar is no exception. He just has a lot of obnoxious haters as well.
If Incineroar gets in over Decidueye, it will probably be because GameFreak/TPCi forced him to.
Yeah, I'm sure they're holding him at gunpoint. Clearly he has no control over the situation.

Also note that there's a lot more factors to a character's inclusion then simply how "unique" they'd be.
Ah yes, the ol' Mega Man would just be another Samus argument.

Last edited:

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Samus shoots a ball of energy, so that makes Lucario and Mewtwo redundant. :rolleyes:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
K.Rool uses a grand total of two wrestling moves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom