• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I'm kind of puzzled as to why he doesn't have a bigger fanbase too. I'm in the same boat, he's the only indie character I support. Feel like he deserves it more than our current indie frontrunner, but nope, apparently having a mediocre GBC game means you deserve it more because "you're closer to Nintendo".
I wonder if Nicalis might theoretically be against it since it'd potentially cannibalize the sales of their own fighting game with Quote and Curly in it, Blade Strangers. That likely isn't the reason, but it's worth thinking about at least.

link2702

Smash Champion
I’m not sure how you can come to the conclusion that cave story’s or it’s main character are the most iconic indie character/game of all time, when shovel knight exists literally everywhere, and Minecraft *started* as an indie before Microsoft saw the golden opportunity and bought it. Technically Minecraft still is the most iconic, most well known indie game, regardless of the fact that Microsoft bought the franchise.

The fact that y’all even admit that the main character would be a literal “who?” To everyone, kinda shuts down your own arguments that he’s the most popular indie character.

I don’t have anything against any indie character getting in, just pointing out the flawed argument there for cave stor, if he gets in yay for y’all I guess. At this point as long as I get the character I want confirmed, idc who else really gets in so long as they’re a video game character. I’m just not gonna change my stance on Cartoon characters like goku though.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Honestly... It feels to me that people who support Quote only do it for Cave Story's historical impact.

I haven't actually seen many passionate Quote fans. Meanwhile I see tons of passionate Shovel Knight and Shantae fans (Shantate fans get a bit too passionate sometimes).
I love Cave Story, its characters, and even its influence (hi Undertale), but this is basically it. There isn't fan demand or any sort of urgency to add Quote.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I’m not sure how you can come to the conclusion that cave story’s or it’s main character are the most iconic indie character/game of all time, when shovel knight exists literally everywhere, and Minecraft *started* as an indie before Microsoft saw the golden opportunity and bought it. Technically Minecraft still is the most iconic, most well known indie game, regardless of the fact that Microsoft bought the franchise.

The fact that y’all even admit that the main character would be a literal “who?” To everyone, kinda shuts down your own arguments that he’s the most popular indie character.

I don’t have anything against any indie character getting in, at this point as long as I get the character I want confirmed, idc who else really gets in so long as they’re a video game character. I’m just not gonna change my stance on Cartoon characters like goku though.
It's moreso that Cave Story is kind of what started off the Indie Boom. It was the first Indie game of its time to really break the barrier of "mainstream", especially with it being a part of WiiWare.

So Cave Story absolutely has the historical significane. The problem comes from it kinda falling out of the public eye with the passing of time.

Last edited:

Jchrono95

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I didn't even know Cave Story existed till last year. One of those things that just never reached me

Pakky

Smash Hero
I suppose that's fai-

Incineroar
Boring

You gotta be kidding me...
View attachment 169979
Don't talk to me or my son ever again.
Brother, they shall see the light soon.

I can't believe people stood behind what amounted to one Pokedex entry from one game to justify the Owl's personality. (I looked it up, it's amazing)

But down the Tiger when he's species category literally is a personality type.

Not being mean cuz the owl is probably the best grass starter design in Pokemon but man that's one canonical instance of a personality.

Pokken fleshed it out a little which is good but they've fleshed everything out for everyone based on the vaguest of references and or general coolness (Secptile is a Samurai with ninjutsu tech in that game.Also Tarzan...Cuz jungle )

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Honestly I wouldn't say that it's one of the more boring ones. We have pokemon that are rocks with arms, a ball, an upside down ball, goop, more goop, just a seel, a fish, just a bird, a rat, etc. A bipedal wrestling cat that shoots fire out of a wrestling belt it wears that directly references Tiger Mask really doesn't sound boring to me at all.

I can understand people not liking it for whatever reason but I wouldn't call it boring.
If its a starter, and relatively predictable. It could be considered a boring pick. At the very least conventional bordering boring.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Honestly... It feels to me that people who support Quote only do it for Cave Story's historical impact.

I haven't actually seen many passionate Quote fans. Meanwhile I see tons of passionate Shovel Knight and Shantae fans (Shantate fans get a bit too passionate sometimes).
I mean, Quote would probably have a pretty cool moveset.
Jab and some aerials could be King's Blade, Up-B could be the Booster 2.0, Neutral B could be the Polar Star/Spur, Side B could be the Fireball, and Down B could be the Bubbler.
The Machine Gun could be a Smash attack and a down aerial, the Snake could be f-tilt
And the Final Smash could be a Barrage of shots from the Missile Launcher, followed by a final blow assisted by Curly.
With all the weapon CS has, Quote could have a very interesting moveset.

I think it'd be pretty cool IMO. I'd love to have remixes of Egg Corridor, Moonsong, Running Hell, etc. in Smash too.

Sorry Nemesis, I couldn't think of a good place for you.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
So weird question that may have been posed before.. In an alternate universe where Sony werent spiteful and vindictive and it was them with a chance of a character in Smash, not Microsoft, which character do you THINK it'd be and which would you WANT it to be?

I'd think itd be Old Man Kratos, but i would want more than Anything Cole Macgrath from Infamous.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

Or Captain Blasto if he's owned by Sony.

We'd probably get Sack Boy or Kratos.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I mean, Quote would probably have a pretty cool moveset.
Jab and some aerials could be King's Blade, Up-B could be the Booster 2.0, Neutral B could be the Polar Star/Spur, Side B could be the Fireball, and Down B could be the Bubbler.
The Machine Gun could be a Smash attack and a down aerial, the Snake could be f-tilt
And the Final Smash could be a Barrage of shots from the Missile Launcher, followed by a final blow assisted by Curly.
With all the weapon CS has, Quote could have a very interesting moveset.

I think it'd be pretty cool IMO. I'd love to have remixes of Egg Corridor, Moonsong, Running Hell, etc. in Smash too.

Sorry Nemesis, I couldn't think of a good place for you.
Man I thought I could go to sleep, but this Quote conversation brought me right back.

Anyways,
My idea to include all the weapons was:
King's Blade= FSmash. Charging slice. When charged fully, King's STANDO POWAH assists you and adds dark damage
Booster 2.0= ROB style Up B
Neutral B = Polar Star/Spur. Can be button mashed to be fired like Fox's or charged like Samus to fire a laser beam or two laser beams or one really large laser beam
Fireball= Downsmash. Fires several balls that cover the ground and limit the opponent's options
Bubbler= Up Smash. Charging it creates bubbles that surround Quote. Releasing it releases all the bubbles accrued at once at the enemy.
Missile Launcher = side B. tapped releases a slow missile that covers land. charged up releases fast missile that travels quickly and has more killing power
Snake = air normals
Machine gun = ground normals
Tow Rope/Curly Brace/Nemesis = Final Smash. Calls Curly Brace as they shower the enemy with a barrage of attacks from both Quote and Curly's as they fire their Nemesises relentlessly at the enemy.

Bonus, Nemesis fully charged: taunt. Threateningly holds out a gun and fires... a rubber ducky. Floats a bit before falling down to the ground harmlessly.
The rubber duck will meteor spike the enemy.

I was going to flesh this out a bit more, but then I realized that the Quote thread has enough movesets as it is.

Also, as for music. I would really appreciate if they added a remix of Balcony.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Man I thought I could go to sleep, but this Quote conversation brought me right back.

Anyways,
King's Blade= FSmash. Charging slice. When charged fully, King's STANDO POWAH assists you and adds dark damage
Neutral B = Polar Star/Spur. Can be button mashed to be fired like Fox's or charged like Samus to fire a laser beam or two laser beams or one really large laser beam
Fireball= Downsmash. Fires several balls that cover the ground and limit the opponent's options
Bubbler= Up Smash. Charging it creates bubbles that surround Quote. Releasing it releases all the bubbles accrued at once at the enemy.
Missile Launcher = side B. tapped releases a slow missile that covers land. charged up releases fast missile that travels quickly and has more killing power
Snake = air normals
Tow Rope/Curly Brace/Nemesis = Final Smash. Calls Curly Brace as they shower the enemy with a barrage of attacks from both Quote and Curly's as they fire their Nemesises relentlessly at the enemy.

Bonus, Nemesis fully charged: taunt. Threateningly holds out a gun and fires... a rubber ducky. Floats a bit before falling down to the ground harmlessly.

I was going to flesh this out a bit more, but then I realized that the Quote thread has enough movesets as it is.

I thought of the Up-B as more similar to Hydro Pump, where to will just go up, but at any time, you can hold left, right or down to make it go in that direction, and it always goes a set distance.
Otherwise, I like the sound of this moveset.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Say, guys, I know it is definitely not going to happen, but if a character that was not a video game character got in to Smash, what music would you want from their series?

Personally, if Goku from Dragon Ball got in, I'd like this.

This would be the only song that would ever get play time if it was in smash on my switch.

That fight against jirin though, damn.

NineS

Smash Lord
Fun fact: Sony of Japan's mascot is this cat:

His name is Toro Inoue
I think it was in Playstation Battle Royale.
If Sony were to get a rep in Smash, I feel like it'd end up being this guy. Might not be as famous here, but he's extremely well known in Japan.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Anyways,
Snake = air normals

I feel like Quote could have an interesting moveset relating to leveling up his weapons (think Frank West from MvC3, except actually good). Like, all of his attacks minus his neutral B (the Spur) have to be leveled up throughout the battle by landing hits, getting KO's, etc. Getting KO'd resets weapon levels, which is kinda similar to the game.

I'd pay for someone to end a competitive stock using the leveled up Nemesis.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Fun fact: Sony of Japan's mascot is this cat:

His name is Toro Inoue
I think it was in Playstation Battle Royale.
If Sony were to get a rep in Smash, I feel like it'd end up being this guy. Might not be as famous here, but he's extremely well known in Japan.
Toro (and Kuro as well) were also in the PS3 version (and locked on others) of Street Fighter x Tekken. Along with Pacman, Cole MacGrath, and proof that Crapcom HATED Mega Man at the time.

Lattenzo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2621-3172-9784
Switch FC
SW-6477-3999-3958
Toro (and Kuro as well) were also in the PS3 version (and locked on others) of Street Fighter x Tekken. Along with Pacman, Cole MacGrath, and proof that Crapcom HATED Mega Man at the time.
never understood why cole was in the game. like who the heck is he?!?!?!? also thank god sakurai did mega man justice

NineS

Smash Lord
Hopefully Capcom is past that weird phase with Mega Man. Seems like they might be, thanks to Mega Man going back to his classic design in 11.

400th post.

Lattenzo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2621-3172-9784
Switch FC
SW-6477-3999-3958
never understood why cole was in the game. like who the heck is he?!?!?!? also thank god sakurai did mega man justice
just found out cole is the guy from infamous. sackboy wouldve been a wayyyyy better character to put in the game imo

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird

Oh, my dude!! I'm actually legitimately a HUGE fan of Cave Story! That's why I want him so bad lol! I just think trying to push him would be hard since he's sorta overlooked by others, but honestly if he came, Smash would be 100% complete forever for me.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Because he's super old and doesn't get new games, lol.

If either Shantae released one game in 2005 and never got built upon, they'd be dead but Quote remains popular as a pick several years later, purely on the basis of being a good ass game that everyone could play

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Has anyone played Super Mario Bros. Crossover? It occured to me all the characters in the original version of that flash game are playable in smash now except for Bill Rizer. And all the ones in the Final Version are in in some capacity except for Bill, Ryu Hayabusa, and Sophia III from Blaster Master.
Acutely aware of the game, yes. And I thought Ryu was in the original version.

Anyway, we're missing Bill and Ryu as new characters, Bass as an echo fighter, and Sophia III as an Assist Trophy.
People keep forgetting that the ballot is not just about the amount of votes, but also about the motivations.
Bayonetta may have won for real because people who requested her, maybe wrote some solid motivations that inspired Sakurai. I'm not saying that's what happend for sure, but it's a possibility.
I remember the motivation I put down when I voted for Simon was "I need him to finish off the Captain N trio."

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Curly in Smash.

Ugh, wish they would give us the ability to shrink hotlinked images. X_X

the owl is probably the best grass starter design in Pokemon
>best starter design
>not Venusaur
>not Sceptile
>not Torterra
>mfw

u wot m8

Last edited:
Love me some Cave Story, Quote can bring a lot of interesting mechanics to Smash as outlined above.

That's fine, I'll happily tank their aggro and then drink their salty tears when they're proven wrong. And if they're not, I guess they can be happy with their fake internet street cred because the game's final two reveals were a super predictable and leaked echo and one of the most boring Pokemon designs ever.
Salty crocodile tears in particular are quite delicious. But seriously there are people out there who are wired like that, fake internet street cred is pretty much all they have, so it would not surprise me to see those reactions, unfortunately.

Incineroar is not boring! Ultimate heel, needs a pair of brass knuckles or a steel chair as a part of his moveset.

For Sony I think Sly Cooper would be cool.
Metal Gear Solid for kids!

He'd be great but I'd imagine Crash would be first in line.

Last edited:

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
Quote is a character that is trapped in an interesting position: He's an important character in terms of being the protagonist of one of the very first games to start creating the Indie game boom, and he also does have some level of story with Nintendo, considering every game in which he's been featured (even games where he's just a cameo, like Blade Strangers) has appeared on a Nintendo console. Moveset wise, he has an insane ammount of options in terms of how to make the character playable, from his Level Up weapon system, his varied arsenal, to things such as how the Booster could be added.

However, he suffers from a big problem, which is a lack of a real popularity. Cave Story's prime time passed a loooong time ago, and I'm pretty sure a lot of more casual players don't really know about the importance of the character, or even know him at all. This, combined with an overall very silent community (compared to some other popular characters, at least), make the chances of him even appearing in the game not as great as they could be.

I honestly would love to have him in the game, Cave Story is a game that is very special to me, and Quote is probably my most wanted character in the game right now, even if I know his chances are very slim.

Shroob

Sup?
As a reminder, I think ALL theories are ****ing stupid, but I thought it was finally time to say something.

Newsflash:

Most people who believe in the box, actually don't want it to come true.

No one seriously wants less characters; people that believe in the box are just veering on the more cautious side.

Of course you'll get the extremists who try to choke you with "SORRY TWO MORE", but that happens for EVERY 'theory' or 'leak' that gains popularity. Hell, I was being told "SORRY POKEMON CAN'T GET A NEWCOMER LUL" by Music Theory extremists until that theory finally got murdered in cold blood.

Why 'do' people believe in the box? Because they want to set their expectations low, so if something amazing happens, they'll be blown out of their socks... and if not? They won't be disappointed since they prepared themselves for this.

That simple.

The reason the more level-headed people get defensive about the box theory is because people try to pick it apart with opinions or 'feelings', not facts.

"Sakurai won't..." or "There can't be two more..." or "X character is underwhelming!" are not facts, those are opinions. If you want to criticize the box, a better example is "It's an early mockup, things can change."

tl;dr:

Stop acting like box theorists are this evil force who you need to prove wrong and 'drink their salt'. The majority of them just don't expect as many characters as you do and are edging on a more cautious bet, that's it. There is 'nothing' wrong with that. You're arguably being just as 'bad' as them by imposing your own views on them by saying "Stop thinking less than me you're killing my hype reeeeeee!"

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Newsflash:

Most people who believe in the box, actually don't want it to come true.

No one seriously wants less characters; people that believe in the box are just veering on the more cautious side.

Of course you'll get the extremists who try to choke you with "SORRY TWO MORE", but that happens for EVERY 'theory' or 'leak' that gains popularity. Hell, I was being told "SORRY POKEMON CAN'T GET A NEWCOMER LUL" by Music Theory extremists until that theory finally got murdered in cold blood.

Why 'do' people believe in the box? Because they want to set their expectations low, so if something amazing happens, they'll be blown out of their socks... and if not? They won't be disappointed since they prepared themselves for this.

That simple.

The reason the more level-headed people get defensive about the box theory is because people try to pick it apart with opinions or 'feelings', not facts.

"Sakurai won't..." or "There can't be two more..." or "X character is underwhelming!" are not facts, those are opinions. If you want to criticize the box, a better example is "It's an early mockup, things can change."

tl;dr:

Stop acting like box theorists are this evil force who you need to prove wrong and 'drink their salt'. The majority of them just don't expect as many characters are you do and are edging on a more cautious bet, that's it.
69 kills the box theory. I will actually be shocked if Nintendo allow that to be the final count. Just imagine Sakurai after the final character reveal saying we have a grand total of 69 characters! It's not going to happen. I think there are at least 2 unique newcomers left Incineroar and probably Geno.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
69 kills the box theory. I will actually be shocked if Nintendo allow that to be the final count. I think there are at least 2 unique newcomers left Incineroar and probably Geno.
That's not 'evidence', that's an opinion, just like I mentioned.

Yeah, there'd be 69 unique fighters, but if there are only 2 left, they'd be marketing it as "74 characters!".

At this point, I'm convinced that the actual fighter number means nothing and that they only count the number they give on the front-page of the website, which is 72 at the minute.

I'm convinced that the fighter number is ONLY there to differentiate between clones and echoes, and in what position that a character will be on the physical roster, while the TOTAL character amount will be used in marketing.

They're not going to say "69 characters!" if Box is true, they'll be saying "74 characters!" just like the website's homepage does.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom