• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Honestly, if K. Rool was already in Smash back then, I don't think people would care nearly as much that he wasn't in DKCR.

Not the popular opinion around here, but I thought the new enemies were a breath of fresh air. I love the Kremlings, but they've been the antagonists of almost every DK game prior to Returns. Aside from appealing to my nostalgia, bringing back K. Rool wouldn't really bring about any major changes, or at least not to the same degree as the Tiki Tak Tribe and the Snowmads.

I usually disagree with Miyamoto, but I think he made the right call with this one.
You can have Kremlings and new villains at the same time.

You can always make an evil alliance plot, or pull a Crash Warped on K.Rool.

Twinsanity is also a good example of a good way to mix old stuff with new ones in regards to plot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
A few things i’ll throw in here out of nowhere.

1) I’m personally desperately hoping for a Direct to put some final debates to rest. Each week inches us closer to one, which at this rate would probably hold us over until release.

2) Yeah, nobody who thinks the box may hint at more than is let on actually wants it to be real. Even if it turns out that we really are only getting 2 more characters, it’s not like anybody will seriously get cred for, “Wow! You were right about the box!”, considering most people including those who think the box is all we’re getting don’t want that to be the case.

Suggesting anything aside from that like that you’d enjoy the salty tears is nothing more than being an edge lord.

3) It’s pretty crazy that counting today we have 54 days left. For me, that includes Thanksgiving break and weekends, leaving me with 36 school days. Not to mention I got the day off from work on the 7th, so Thursday will be a midnight release for me!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

A few things i’ll throw in here out of nowhere.

1) I’m personally desperately hoping for a Direct to put some final debates to rest. Each weeks inches is closer to one, which at this rate would probably hold us over until release.

2) Yeah, nobody who thinks the box may hint at more than is let on actually wants it to be real. Even if it turns out that we really are only getting 2 more characters, it’s not like anybody will seriously get cred for, “Wow! You were right about the box!”, considering most people including those who think the box is all we’re getting don’t want that to be the case.

Suggesting anything aside from that like that you’d enjoy the salty tears is nothing more than being an edge lord.

3) It’s pretty crazy that counting today we have 54 days left. For me, that includes Thanksgiving break and weekends, leaving me with 36 school days. Not to mention I got the day off from work on the 7th, so Thursday will be a midnight release for me!
I have Spyro before to kill some time too.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You can have Kremlings and new villains at the same time.

You can always make an evil alliance plot, or pull a Crash Warped on K.Rool.

Twinsanity is also a good example of a good way to mix old stuff with new ones in regards to plot.
I guess, but I feel like that's a risky move that might not make a lot of sense for a game that isn't story-driven.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Kremlings return by themselves in a third DKCR game, but I would've hated them if they were shoehorned in the other two games and their respective villains just because, "Hey, the fans want the best of both worlds, so let's cram in the old with the new and see if it sticks."

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Jfc, some "leakers" are dumb. Pro-tip: Never make any disclaimers (you won't believe me, this is hard to believe, etc) because that's exactly what people will do. Just state your "leak". Most people end up believing you if you just drop a picture or a list and say nothing else.

Untouch

Smash Master
Why do people still make website "leaks"?
The site doesn't work that way, if all characters went up even for a split second it'd be all over the internet.
The CV song leak was found like 2 minutes after the music went up.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Honestly, if K. Rool was already in Smash back then, I don't think people would care nearly as much that he wasn't in DKCR.

Not the popular opinion around here, but I thought the new enemies were a breath of fresh air. I love the Kremlings, but they've been the antagonists of almost every DK game prior to Returns. Aside from appealing to my nostalgia, bringing back K. Rool wouldn't really bring about any major changes, or at least not to the same degree as the Tiki Tak Tribe and the Snowmads.

I usually disagree with Miyamoto, but I think he made the right call with this one.
Agreed. As a fan of the Mario and Zelda series it's refreshing when the villian isn't Bowser/Ganon for once, as it can get really stale otherwise (don't have a problem with Bowser in the main games, but the RPGs should be for letting other antagonists have a chance to shine). Perhaps not-Andross and not-K Rool aren't the greatest of villains, but it makes the Kremlings return more special when it does happen.

D

Deleted member

I'd argue Goku or Pikachu are more iconic nowadays tho
I mean, if you want to go there, DB is the Pokemon of anime
lets ignore the fact pokemon has an anime for a second tho
I'd say R.O.B
Mario is just the popular guy that continues appearing
Just like Goku
People give ROB too much credit when if it wasn't for SMB games certainly wouldn't have become as mainstream as they were. Maybe eventually? Yeah, it's hard to have any media type in the hole forever but what did happen in the 80s is mainly due to SMB.

beans

Smash Lord
I mean, if you want to go there, DB is the Pokemon of anime
lets ignore the fact pokemon has an anime for a second tho

People give ROB too much credit when if it wasn't for SMB games certainly wouldn't have become as mainstream as they were. Maybe eventually? Yeah, it's hard to have any media type in the hole forever but what did happen in the 80s is mainly due to SMB.
Then allow me to add to the original
Mario is just the guy who carried the torch that R.O.B lit up
Just like Goku

D

Deleted member

Agreed. As a fan of the Mario and Zelda series it's refreshing when the villian isn't Bowser/Ganon for once, as it can get really stale otherwise (don't have a problem with Bowser in the main games, but the RPGs should be for letting other antagonists have a chance to shine). Perhaps not-Andross and not-K Rool aren't the greatest of villains, but it makes the Kremlings return more special when it does happen.
I feel like Spyro and Crash used the villains better in regards to that (maybe Crash a bit more).

Ripto is the most popular villain of the first, but is not used so much to the point it feels boring (unless we count Enter The Dragongly, if you like to hurt yourself).

And while Cortex appears in most of the games, the devs actually add new menaces that stand over Cortex. Some good examples are Uka Uka, the Twin Birds from Twinsanity, the emperor from Nitro Kart or N.Trance.

That's why people love the first Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario games: they had Bowser, but the main menace was new and different.

D

Deleted member

If they could bring the feet thingy for Megaman in Smash 4, i hope that they give Simon the stair moonwalking in Ultimate.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
The Isaac one at least looks decent compared to most of the crap we get (still fakety fake fake fake).

Also, I just love it how Steve is expected (despite Hitagi's problems), but any leak with Banjo is "unrealistic". At this point, with the evidence we have, either they're both realistic or neither is, depending on how many characters you think are left.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
The Isaac one at least looks decent compared to most of the crap we get (still fakety fake fake fake).

Also, I just love it how Steve is expected (despite Hitagi's problems), but any leak with Banjo is "unrealistic". At this point, with the evidence we have, either they're both realistic or neither is, depending on how many characters you think are left.
one can be realistic for base the other for dlc

Pakky

Smash Hero
This **** is why Miyamoto is a detriment to Nintendo, I'm sure he persuaded Tanabe because of "muh new ideas". Bet he feels really silly now with how huge of a reaction K. Rool's reveal gotten, which at this point, has become the biggest.
Honestly this all comes from the salt he felt when Nintendo told him to make more of his projects look like DKC back in the day.

This I understand due to DK being his baby the thing that made him who he is today. However my God spite can only go so far before it starts being toxic and starts bleeding the company of money.

For example and this is SUBJECTIVE and HEARSAY but I think he was one of the BIG reasons why Nintendo didn't buy Rare way back when. It just doesn't make sense. Conker Banjo and the rest of Rare's stuff were too damn profitable and diverse. I mean could you imagine if they had bought them? Snake wouldn't have the honor of being the first M rated character in Smash let me tell you.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
>It left another soon leaked character
>Starts with Gen-
>Mario Character

Guys, I think we are going to get Genie from Mario Party 2! It has been a LOONG TIME since he last appeared. People sleep on him but I am glad he is here!

I am going to show everyone's face to display TRUE FEAR of this character after I grind and trained him. He will be in EVO and become the best, mark MY WORDS.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Well if I had more time I should just poop out a leak for usually suspects to feast on.

Seriously though if a channel is a business what do you do when the you've be covering fake leaks on comes out and is done with its DLC season?

I mean FGC guys have multiple games to cover, Smash is not a long running leak mill to sustain a business off of neither is pokemon... Especially seeing as how they're 'business model' of game releases might change in the future, that just means less to yip about when comes to fake news.

D

Deleted member

>It left another soon leaked character
>Starts with Gen-
>Mario Character

Guys, I think we are going to get Genie from Mario Party 2! It has been a LOONG TIME since he last appeared. People sleep on him but I am glad he is here!

I am going to show everyone's face to display TRUE FEAR of this character after I grind and trained him. He will be in EVO and become the best, mark MY WORDS.
Madden Player is Bayonetta 2.0 already, sorry.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
The Isaac Geno leak is interesting, a couple of my takeaways

1. Implies that there are 3 characters revealed at the time of this shot. That extra black bar at the bottom implies someone else or the leaker is a idiot.

2. Three echoes are shown off, and they are for characters that are before Shulk. That means that Ken would not be revealed at the time of this leak.

3. Goes directly against box theory, but box theory is bad and should be ignored, we are obviously getting two more unique newcomers at least.

4. The Isaac render AFAIK is unique. I would guess that if it was faked (which is likely) it would be a heavily photoshopped Lucina due to how the faces look.

5. Geno has the Mario logo and GS uses a Dark Dawn Logo. Food for thought.

For DLC, who do you all think is likely? Here are a few of my guesses.

1. Rex and Pyra: Timing hurt them for base but XC2 did so well that it is whatever. They have the potential.

2. Three Houses Protag/Gen 8 Mon depending on how long DLC goes: Just get ready for it it is gonna happen.

3. Geno/Isaac/Banjo: If they do not make base, these guys are primetime for DLC due to fan demand.

4. Namco Rep

5. Rayman

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
I guess we'll find out if a direct is announced in about 3 minutes. Highly doubtful, I'd guess if there were one this week it would be Wednesday or Thursday.

D

Deleted member

The Isaac Geno leak is interesting, a couple of my takeaways

1. Implies that there are 3 characters revealed at the time of this shot. That extra black bar at the bottom implies someone else or the leaker is a idiot.

2. Three echoes are shown off, and they are for characters that are before Shulk. That means that Ken would not be revealed at the time of this leak.

3. Goes directly against box theory, but box theory is bad and should be ignored, we are obviously getting two more unique newcomers at least.

4. The Isaac render AFAIK is unique. I would guess that if it was faked (which is likely) it would be a heavily photoshopped Lucina due to how the faces look.

5. Geno has the Mario logo and GS uses a Dark Dawn Logo. Food for thought.

For DLC, who do you all think is likely? Here are a few of my guesses.

1. Rex and Pyra: Timing hurt them for base but XC2 did so well that it is whatever. They have the potential.

2. Three Houses Protag/Gen 8 Mon depending on how long DLC goes: Just get ready for it it is gonna happen.

3. Geno/Isaac/Banjo: If they do not make base, these guys are primetime for DLC due to fan demand.

4. Namco Rep

5. Rayman
Crash Bandicoot, Banjo, Sylux, Three House rep and Isaac.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
The drought is really starting to bother me

I know it's just 8 weeks left but man do I want to expand my knowledge of the game

It would've probably been way easier if we didn't have all these theories and leaks

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
First tweet today was about a Diablo III switch bundle, nothing posted at 7am.

Nothing happening today.

:cry:
I feel your pain. I thought the week of the delay was the longest perceived wait. That was nothing, comparatively. At least then, we knew something was coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom