• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Hey now! Isabelle was a great addition! Might not seem as important as Simon to you, but she's essentially the new mascot for one of Nintendo's biggest franchises.

(And people keep forgetting that Mewtwo is technically a cat.)
Mewtwo looks more like a skeleton than a cat. I am fine with Isabelle. I used to rage at her, but now I'm somewhat fine with her. I thought she was gonna have Rover as her alt and maybe some generic villagers, just like the human villager itself. So I was rather underwhelmed from my expectations.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
He still represents the gameplay... Also If I asked a random person on the street what Banjo Kazooie is, they probably wouldn't know... Minecraft on the other hand...
I agree with you but Steve is still just a blank slate the player gets to paint later. STEVE himself isn’t really an icon, just the face of one. Not saying anything about how much he “deserves” to be in Smash or anything.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
It feels like I’ve been missing out on Gruntila codecs. My mind is full of them!

Daisy, Daisy, are you crazy?
Your future in Smash is a bit hazy
An Echo you are; unique you are not.
Maybe Villager will plant you in his flower pot?

Richter Belmont, the best of all.
You make this old witch swoon n fall.
Hunky body, winning smile, and cunning wit
Just catching a glimpse puts me into a fit.

Isabelle, yes yes, that is your name
Are you sure you belong in this game?
A fighter is not what you are portrayed
But of a secretary, that’s why you get paid.

Ridley, Bigley, so menacing and great.
Your draconian body filled with hate
Please squash that dumb bear and bird.
And I’ll grant you powers that are unheard.

Dovahkin, Dragonborn, Great is thy Thu'um
So strong, it makes everyone leave the room
Sword and shield, hammer, dagger, and bow
Magic too to fill your foe with woe.

Now you're deliberately misspelling Rachel's name
We all know Rihanna is best Belmont.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
It feels like I’ve been missing out on Gruntila codecs. My mind is full of them!

Daisy, Daisy, are you crazy?
Your future in Smash is a bit hazy
An Echo you are; unique you are not.
Maybe Villager will plant you in his flower pot?

Richter Belmont, the best of all.
You make this old witch swoon n fall.
Hunky body, winning smile, and cunning wit
Just catching a glimpse puts me into a fit.

Isabelle, yes yes, that is your name
Are you sure you belong in this game?
A fighter is not what you are portrayed
But of a secretary, that’s why you get paid.

Dovahkin, Dragonborn, Great is thy Thu'um
So strong, it makes everyone leave the room
Sword and shield, hammer, dagger, and bow
Magic too to fill your foe with woe.

We all know Rihanna is best Belmont.
I don't even know Banjo-Kazooie, but these are glorious. I want to like this a few more times.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I’m now wondering which series will have music sampled this Tuesday (hoping for Kid Icarus...but only if it’s a remix of Aurum Island)

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I agree with you but Steve is still just a blank slate the player gets to paint later. STEVE himself isn’t really an icon, just the face of one. Not saying anything about how much he “deserves” to be in Smash or anything.
But Steve is iconic though.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Steve isn’t a gaming icon. Minecraft is. Steve is just the default skin that everyone eventually changes if they have played for more than a week.
If they truly didn't care, then it wouldn't explain why this so not-cared-for default skin has so much merchandise for it.

Steve is still a part of Minecraft and why it's so big. By your logic, why the **** should Link be in the game? He's no icon, the series is.

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
A lot of modern arguments in relationship to Smash it boils down to when you got into Smash or what aspect you love about Smash.

For me, when I first got Smash 64 the only characters I knew were Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Pikachu, and Jigglypuff.

So I asked my dad for Kirby 64 and would always play Star Fox 64 at my cousins house. When Melee came around I was able to play some Zelda and then later Fire Emblem, Metroid and F-Zero. During the 7 year wait between Brawl and Smash 4, I was so hungry for more I collected the trophies and read all of them. It made me incredibly curious about the worlds of people like Mach Rider and Custom Robo. After the SSBB e3 trailer (the most hype trailer ever imo still) I went on the official Nintendo forums (NSider) as a kid and debated people about what characters would appear in the game. I was completely in over my head, but in order to show off I literally just bought or emulated every Nintendo series I could find. I found out about Sin and Punishment, Golden Sun, Advance Wars, etc. during this time. The inclusion of Snake also got me into non-Nintendo games. NSider was awesome, it was pretty cool how Nintendo ran a forum for their fans.

Before Brawl's release, Nintendo abruptly shutdown the forums. If you remember the early to mid-late 2000s, Nintendo had the my Nintendo fun club and just gigantic support for all of their franchises. Like damn.

https://sickr.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/nintendo_family_tree_infographic.png
Sexy gen 6/7.

During the last leg of the Wii's life, the fan forum was gone and turned into a corporate "maintenance" forum and a lot of these series had died or became dormant. During the console wars of that generation, Sony and Xbox fanboys loved to throw around "Nintendo is just Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon", well during this time it pretty much became true. A lot of new blood joined the world of Smash during this time before Smash 4's announcement. So to a lot of people Smash stands for something else.

Still, to me, the ideal function of Smash is a fun museum. I don't know the guy, but I have no other idea as to why Sakurai would put a list of every single game published by Nintendo in Brawl. Tin Star was on that list. That game is not going to get more sequels, its not going to make more money. That could've been time to crack a viral joke about Spongebob/Michael Jordan/Transformers movies for more publicity, but nope he spent time and resources and made that huge list instead.

Course I know people want it to be a billboard too. Why not a good mix? The most painful comment I read in relations to Smash Ultimate news was this.

Damn. Simon and Richter are legends. Steve is pretty important. Then support him, but don't rag on people wanting Banjo, Geno, Isaac, Bandana Dee, or whoever.

If you love Dragon Ball Super, you don't have to insult Dragon Ball. If you like Lil Peep, you don't have to insult Biggie Smalls. If you like Nintendo Switch you don't have to insult the SNES. Smash gives Nintendo something so unique, it gives a dead series or character popularity needed for a new game.

tl;dr

Thank you Sakurai for letting us hear new renditions of Mute City, visit 3d Onett, reviving Kid Icarus (which made money) , hearing a melody of Joy Mecha Fight and Urban Champion, bringing us Fire Emblem (which made money), giving Samus a job while she had to wait through Federation Force, and more. (and not doing that Tekken thing where you put in a Walking Dead character for money. why does sakurai not do this? mario, pikachu, sonic, and link are on the box. its going to sell well already)

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Lightning Battle breh
That has no need for a remix...too bad*** to have one
1. That video, alongside the Ridley and Isabelle ones, are amazing
2. Xenoblade would work aswell...but could risk Elma not getting in...so Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura wouldn't be too happy about that

Just going to bring this up.
Finally a chance for more Pit gameplay

D

Deleted member

No, it better not Be Xenoblade... I want Elma to have a chance
I just want to hear Black Tar (Rap Version) as soon as possible. Two raps for the price of one! Elma's such a don't care character for me, I just want muh xenoblade music.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Need an opinion. Do u think 2 gen 7 reps is too much? I support both decidueye and incineroar.

I want both in.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
If they truly didn't care, then it wouldn't explain why this so not-cared-for default skin has so much merchandise for it.

Steve is still a part of Minecraft and why it's so big. By your logic, why the **** should Link be in the game? He's no icon, the series is.
Link isn’t just a default skin you can change later. He’s the main character in a ton of games. Don’t ever say “by your logic.” Clearly you can’t figure out what my logic is.:glare:

Steve isn’t a character. He is a canvas that hasn’t been painted yet.
But Steve is iconic though.
Excellent argument thank you.

You: “But there is a god though”
Me “Well **** I had never thought about it that way before.”
/s

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Ahahaha. They messed up again.

Ouch to whoever is player 1.

Edit: Arekkz is cool.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Link isn’t just a default skin you can change later.
Steve isn’t a character. He is a canvas that hasn’t been painted yet.
Oh by the gods, excuse me, your majesty! I'll get rid of these characters right away!!

:ultmiifighters: take this thing out
:ultvillager: take this out, might as well take this out too since the biggest part of that franchise is gone now :ultisabelle:
:ultrobin finally i've been waiting for a good excuse to take out fire emblem :ultcorrin:

Hey Hey Hey...View attachment 166079...Let’s not Go that far with illogical logic
My bad dude, I forget about which series has avatars and forgot Animal Crossing existed. And Fire Emblem. And also Miis. very forgetful today

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
A lot of modern arguments in relationship to Smash it boils down to when you got into Smash or what aspect you love about Smash.

For me, when I first got Smash 64 the only characters I knew were Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Pikachu, and Jigglypuff.

So I asked my dad for Kirby 64 and would always play Star Fox 64 at my cousins house. When Melee came around I was able to play some Zelda and then later Fire Emblem, Metroid and F-Zero. During the 7 year wait between Brawl and Smash 4, I was so hungry for more I collected the trophies and read all of them. It made me incredibly curious about the worlds of people like Mach Rider and Custom Robo. After the SSBB e3 trailer (the most hype trailer ever imo still) I went on the official Nintendo forums (NSider) as a kid and debated people about what characters would appear in the game. I was completely in over my head, but in order to show off I literally just bought or emulated every Nintendo series I could find. I found out about Sin and Punishment, Golden Sun, Advance Wars, etc. during this time. The inclusion of Snake also got me into non-Nintendo games. NSider was awesome, it was pretty cool how Nintendo ran a forum for their fans.

Before Brawl's release, Nintendo abruptly shutdown the forums. If you remember the early to mid-late 2000s, Nintendo had the my Nintendo fun club and just gigantic support for all of their franchises. Like damn.

https://sickr.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/nintendo_family_tree_infographic.png
Sexy gen 6/7.

During the last leg of the Wii's life, the fan forum was gone and turned into a corporate "maintenance" forum and a lot of these series had died or became dormant. During the console wars of that generation, Sony and Xbox fanboys loved to throw around "Nintendo is just Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon", well during this time it pretty much became true. A lot of new blood joined the world of Smash during this time before Smash 4's announcement. So to a lot of people Smash stands for something else.

Still, to me, the ideal function of Smash is a fun museum. I don't know the guy, but I have no other idea as to why Sakurai would put a list of every single game published by Nintendo in Brawl. Tin Star was on that list. That game is not going to get more sequels, its not going to make more money. That could've been time to crack a viral joke about Spongebob/Michael Jordan/Transformers movies for more publicity, but nope he spent time and resources and made that huge list instead.

Course I know people want it to be a billboard too. Why not a good mix? The most painful comment I read in relations to Smash Ultimate news was this.

Damn. Simon and Richter are legends. Steve is pretty important. Then support him, but don't rag on people wanting Banjo, Geno, Isaac, Bandana Dee, or whoever.

If you love Dragon Ball Super, you don't have to insult Dragon Ball. If you like Lil Peep, you don't have to insult Biggie Smalls. If you like Nintendo Switch you don't have to insult the SNES. Smash gives Nintendo something so unique, it gives a dead series or character popularity needed for a new game.

tl;dr

Thank you Sakurai for letting us hear new renditions of Mute City, visit 3d Onett, reviving Kid Icarus (which made money) , hearing a melody of Joy Mecha Fight and Urban Champion, bringing us Fire Emblem (which made money), giving Samus a job while she had to wait through Federation Force, and more. (and not doing that Tekken thing where you put in a Walking Dead character for money. why does sakurai not do this? mario, pikachu, sonic, and link are on the box. its going to sell well already)
Sakurai even went to the trouble of listing Hamtaro games, which wouldn't have been noted if not for them being made by second parties. They're just as much a part of Nintendo's history as anything else, just like that one Mickey game on G&W. Even the much-maligned Virtual Boy was in as a category.

Sakurai's truly dedicated to his hobby, in fact it's been said on here that his house is packed with games to the point that he's willing to grab digital games, for saving up space.

Just going to bring this up.
In case anybody has any beef with NL for how they handle articles, Alex will be there if you want to challenge him to Smash Bros.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

...Wait, is that supposed to be facial hair? Or an open mouth?

:confused::confused::confused:

Steve is undoubtedly iconic, I just really dislike the pixel-art style. Mainly because after all this time, I still only vaguely see a face. I've seen chairs with a more humanoid face than that. That's my hangup with him - sure GnW has jumpy animations, but at least there's a bit of character shown. If there are people complaining that Ridley's boring since he's not showing enough personality, I can't see an 8x8 grid of pixels doing any better.

Someone did previously put of a pic from a story mode where they were still blocky, but you could recognize facial features which made it look SO much better.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Steve, one of the most recognizable video game characters of all time, is the mascot of
  • the second best-selling game of all time.
  • a highly influential survival sandbox game that is still going strong.
  • a game while owned by a competitor to Nintendo, has been released on Wii U (which is a big deal since how little third party support the console had at the time), New Nintendo 3DS, and Switch.
  • a game that continues to get updated fairly frequently around nine years after its initial alpha release.
AND he could have a crazy moveset based on mining and crafting. From both a gameplay and aesthetic standpoint, Steve would be one of the most unique characters in Smash history, and I'm all for his inclusion.

#fukdahaterz

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Oh by the gods, excuse me, your majesty! I'll get rid of these characters right away!!

:ultmiifighters: take this thing out
:ultvillager: take this out, might as well take this out too since the biggest part of that franchise is gone now :ultisabelle:
:ultrobin finally i've been waiting for a good excuse to take out fire emblem :ultcorrin:

My bad dude, I forget about which series has avatars and forgot Animal Crossing existed.
I didn’t say anything about him being deserving of Smash. As a matter of fact, I specifically said I’m not talking about him “deserving” to be in smash.

My argument is he isn’t iconic. FYI, if the person you are arguing with has to tell you what they are arguing, you have failed. If you use “by your logic” and completely fail to understand what they are saying, you have failed. IF YOU TALK LIKE YOUR OPPONENT IS DUMB EVERY CHANCE YOU GET EVEN THOUGH YOUR ARGUMENTS ARE STRAIGHT BOOTY, you have failed. I’m blocking you now before I get infracted.

The post I’m quoting is a very cute strawman made from a guy who likes to talk as if others are stupid when he apparently isn’t capable of reading the posts he’s arguing against. Murlough out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom