• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Btw, wouldn't Ryu see Amaterasu as a regular dog, since he's a (mostly) regular human?
I think it's all dependant on how much said person believes in the Gods and Ryu is a spiritual type. I don't know the cut-off for how much you gotta believe for her to show up as a God tho.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
The thing is, unless you cant play Smash Down until you unlock all the characters, its not gonna matter anyways. If you start wirh the OG 8, unlock 1 character, then play Smash Down, then the entire theory falls apart because 9 is nit divisible by 4. Youre pribabku not gonna unlock 4 fighters at a time either. The game probably just ignores the remaining 1-3 characters and calls it a day for Samsh Down.

I dont buy box theory, because the special editiin revealed at the 8/8 direct didnt have all the figjters on the cover since its a placeholder. No one worried then. This new box is also more likely than nit a placeholder, so why worry now?

Coro coro usually recieves early information from Nintendo (didnt they reveal sun and moon pokemon all the time during pre release?) So I think Coro coro is the most reasonable "theory" of the ines we have. Besides, i just find it odd that there is THAT much negative space in the select screen. 3DS had a blank button for dlc when it launched, but Ultimate wouldnt need a dlc button the size of 6 stage spaces.
The special addition is one image. The mural. Not all the characters in nice boxes in a particular order.

As for smashdown, it will probably end when the number of fighters is less than the number of players.

You know what is nice though. A number that is divisible by 2,3,4. Whichis 72. Which matches the box art. Which marches the css predictions. Which matches sakurai's claim of not to many newcomers, which matches music theory, which would round out the website nicely.

It matches all that.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
By my calculations (spreadsheet I've been keeping up to date), every track in the series' history combined with the confirmed new songs sits at 654 currently.
So there's at least ~150 new songs to see yet.
If you are able, could you PM me that spread sheet? Haven't started yet but would love to see that!

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So, another leak just appeared:

Thoughts?
While I don't believe the box theory, I do buy into it suggesting Ken is in the game.

We don't know for sure if a Pokemon will be the next unique newcomer, but it's almost guaranteed that Ken will be the next Echo. If Dixie is in the game, she ain't getting revealed until after Ken, otherwise she'd have a space on the boxart too.

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Yeah that was low even for me, sorry.

Thoughts?
You know what, while this is definitely false, the ONE THING I hated about the SSE (besides the maze and the dull environments) was that there was only 2-player co-op and not 4-player like it should've been.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Oh man. Hopefully I don't miss anything important. I have explained it a lot. Lol

Okay, so the most important thing is the spacing of characters. If you look at the character order, they show them in groups of 9.
So, Luigi to Shiek is 9 characters in their proper order of appearance as per the official numbering. Then it skips nine and starts again at the next 9 after the skipped 9 and so on.
That means 36 fit on that side.

That leaves 36 spaces for the other side(assuming that is what is happening).

However, in between the group ending with Mii Fighters and the group beginning with Corrin, there are only 8 known characters who go there as we see from the official numbering order.

Why is that space there? What could fit there? It’s possible that it’s an echo and only an echo if it is any character at all. Otherwise, it breaks it’s own pattern.

Ryu is in that group and Vergeben has said Ken is definitely in since then.

It isn’t proven, but it’s credible enough to keep in mind until definitely proven right or wrong.

Edited on the 9th line to change “skilled” to “skipped”
Took me a while to do the math... but yeah, makes all sense now. Basically you could slap Isabelle later in the second last "slot" and then throw Incineroar/Gen 7 PKMN in to the final one...

But again, this throws me back on the fact that the this Box Theory will most likely damage the speculation and current massive hype built up to the game badly. Hence why I hope Coro Coro Stage Leak is the unintended but still appreciated "damage control."

I still feel it'd be so odd if Ken and Incineroar were the final fellas indeed since the momentum went on so strong since August - would the roster suck though? Far from it. ;)

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The special addition is one image. The mural. Not all the characters in nice boxes in a particular order.

As for smashdown, it will probably end when the number of fighters is less than the number of players.

You know what is nice though. A number that is divisible by 2,3,4. Whichis 72. Which matches the box art. Which marches the css predictions. Which matches sakurai's claim of not to many newcomers, which matches music theory, which would round out the website nicely.

It matches all that.
I have showed you recently the 3DS CSS, which isn't "neat" per se, without DLC. It drops off from being a square near the end. I don't think that's a genuinely valid and honest point for the box theory.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

It matches all that.
Music theory would match a lot of things, though. Any newcomer leak that is from a new Franshise would work for music theory. Not to mention all the franchises of music that haven’t been thrown into the blog yet.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Real talk if you claim you're still excited for Ultimate after this theory you're lying to yourself
Um I am, sure I may not get everyone who I want but we got all the vets back, ridley, isabelle and dark samus are in, we have over a hundred stages, the game is gonna be amazing regardless

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad we all seem to at least agree that, characters we want this time in or not in, it's a really strong roster.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
You know what, while this is definitely false, the ONE THING I hated about the SSE (besides the maze and the dull environments) was that there was only 2-player co-op and not 4-player like it should've been.
I loved the maze. If the whole mode was that, and allowing the players to go their own directions, it wouldhave been better.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Thoughts?
Dixie as an Echo before my birthday... yeah, no thanks.

Some of the concepts seem novel though, even if I think I bet a lot people wouldn't like Assist Trophy Smash since it means beating up the many characters that were turned to consolation prices of sorts.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Took me a while to do the math... but yeah, makes all sense now. Basically you could slap Isabelle later in the second last "slot" and then throw Incineroar/Gen 7 PKMN in to the final one...

But again, this throws me back on the fact that the this Box Theory will most likely damage the speculation and current massive hype built up to the game badly. Hence why I hope Coro Coro Stage Leak is the unintended but still appreciated "damage control."

I still feel it'd be so odd if Ken and Incineroar were the final fellas indeed - would the roster suck though? Far from it. ;)
Vergeben said the guy who told him about a Square rep has never been wrong(or implied it) and has to see if he is or is not DLC. He is also going to ask directly about the final roster number to see if he can help disprove it.

It kills speculation only because the looming possibility is sort of draining. It really shouldn’t, but we can’t help but be cautious about base roster now. DLC is open for whatever, though.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm glad we all seem to at least agree that, characters we want this time in or not in, it's a really strong roster.
Purely size-wise, it's pretty impressive. It's a shame some characters don't live up to their source material, but just the fact they're in is a consolation.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
again i must ask

has there EVER been an instance of two directs happening in the same month? i.e. regular and Smash, Smash and Mini, Regular and Mini? we could get a Mini soon if anything...idk

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The only thing I can predict with some certainty is there will be a WTF character, and Ken and Incineroar aren't it. That would be going against Sakurai's personality quirks.

Real talk if you claim you're still excited for Ultimate after this theory you're lying to yourself
Son, I wasn't truly excited until K. Rool got in, anything else would be more gravy at this stage.

Thoughts?
Taking it with a grain of salt, but a daily challenge mode would do a lot for the game's replayability, given how much Rayman Legends benefits from that.

Last edited:

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
Last thing he said was that he was putting all his effort or heart or soul or something behind this game and promised not to disappoint the fans of that game like he did with Scalebound (like it was his fault or something) that tells me he's directing it but maybe not. Doubt they make any console exclusives for anyone besides Nintendo now though. Especially after Scalebound.
It’s really just Microsoft. They clearly don’t really care about actually making games these days. Let alone a niche Japanese game. Scalebound would’ve been fine with Sony I feel. I believe MS said Scalebound wasn’t going well in development but I mean if Sony let The Last Guardian sit around in development for 10 years I think Platinum would’ve been fine

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
again i must ask

has there EVER been an instance of two directs happening in the same month? i.e. regular and Smash, Smash and Mini, Regular and Mini? we could get a Mini soon if anything...idk
We had multiple directs in August when the Smash direct happened I believe. 2 of them were even centered around indies and another around a mobile game.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Vergeben said the guy who told him about a Square rep has never been wrong(or implied it) and has to see if he is or is not DLC. He is also going to ask directly about the final roster number to see if he can help disprove it.

It kills speculation only because the looming possibility is sort of draining. It really shouldn’t, but we can’t help but be cautious about base roster now. DLC is open for whatever, though.
Well, he's doing some good work there - but again, it seems to imply more leaks in the future. Dunno if I like the sound of that....

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I have showed you recently the 3DS CSS, which isn't "neat" per se, without DLC. It drops off from being a square near the end. I don't think that's a genuinely valid and honest point for the box theory.
For 3ds css, it looks like smash4 roster was capped with the wii u in mind. Wii u one looks great without dlc.

Corrin was a late addition to the dlc pool
Of you look at it pre corrin, you can see what they were going for. A perfect rectangle. Corrin really dis mess things up. But outside him, it made sense no matter how one sliced it.

Music theory would match a lot of things, though. Any newcomer leak that is from a new Franshise would work for music theory. Not to mention all the franchises of music that haven’t been thrown into the blog yet.
It can. Will not deny that. But it does add to the box theory.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Guys...guys...he already admitted he flubbed with that "if you're excited you're lying to yourself" post...we don't need 20 more posts of you guys Absolutely Dunking on him

For 3ds css, it looks like smash4 roster was capped with the wii u in mind. Wii u one looks great without dlc.

Corrin was a late addition to the dlc pool
Of you look at it pre corrin, you can see what they were going for. A perfect rectangle. Corrin really dis mess things up. But outside him, it made sense no matter how one sliced it.

It can. Will not deny that. But it does add to the box theory.
To be frank, it doesn't matter if it made sense WITHOUT Corrin since we have to look at it with Corrin in it. Since that's how it is.
He made things un-neat and messy. This implies to me Sakurai will value adding characters over a neat CSS.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
On the topic of single player co-op, you guys have got to remember, it's hard to balance a single player campaign for both 1-2 players and 3-4 players. The more players you have, the more space you need to accommodate them. Just look at how big and empty Star Ally stages are compared to Triple Deluxe or Robobot, for example. And that's not to mention difficulty balance - 4 characters on screen means that enemies are dying up to 4x as fast. Granted it's not impossible to do from a design perspective, but it is still more challenging.

Even if they do make it 4-player compatible, I'd prefer if they focused on a single player / 2-player co-op experience for Spirits mode and treated the extra players like an after thought.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I feel like a direct on next Wednesday would be incredible, but I'm not holding my breath.
Whoa buddy I'm not expecting anything until after Halloween. Don't give me that kind of hope :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom