• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Real talk if you claim you're still excited for Ultimate after this theory you're lying to yourself
I guess i'm really, really good at lying to myself then because i'm still as hyped as the day it was first announced.
Seriously dude, come off it. If you wanna let this fan made theory ruin your hype then fine, but don't try to drag the excitement of others down with you.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Real talk if you claim you're still excited for Ultimate after this theory you're lying to yourself
Uh we have 70+ characters including fan favs like Ridley and K. Rool getting their finest hour. 100+ stages with Battlefield variants which I was hoping for. The multiplayer modes are largest they've ever been with old and new additions. The gameplay is faster and more fluid...

Only things left are single player and online. They both need to hit and I think they will.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Dark Samus and Samus have different animations and effects. I can see Ken's focus attack animation being his SF4 one, and flame effects added to his Shoryuken.
Yeah sure but Ryu and Ken literally have different combo strings, and Ken doesn’t ever do Ryus F Smash as that was after they diverged.

It’ll be very weird to see Ken do anything SF4 related without all his uniqueness at that point, is more what I’m trying to get across.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I don't think that the CoroCoro 108 stage bit is accurate. It seems much more likely to me that they misreported it.

The alternative is that press already has a packet that says "108 Stages" and they mistook one set of info for another.

I'm more inclined to think it's just 103 though.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
legit, part of the reason i think geno will be base roster and the final reveal. ridley at e3, k rool at the smash direct, geno at the end as a surprise final character (kept off the box and stuff). three highly requested ballot choices and spread out throughout the smash reveal cycle, and it fits with vergeben.

this way we end on character #70 instead of #69 in a game with emphasis on numbering the characters.

and while i dont really agree with the smashdown theory (as it would be unplayable until the roster is fully unlocked and you wouldnt be able to buy just one dlc character or you'd throw off the needed smash down roster number) i do think it makes sense that the base roster of the game SHOULD work cleanly for smashdown, just from a development point of view you'd think when coming up with the idea it should "work" and playing it should have you exhaust the full roster by the end.

that said, Box Theory actually DOESNT fit with smashdown. smashdown needs 72 characters, which appears to fit with Box Thoery (in fact I thought it did myself and have been saying as much) BUT smashdown DOESNT involve the Mii fighters and box Theory DOES.

So we end up with 71 fighters for smash down...unless you add one MORE character to the Box Theory, as in Vergebens final character, a square rep saved for the end as a surprise kept off the box and promotional material and placing us at character #70 instead of ending at an awkward #69 AND actually getting smashdown to the assumed necessary number of 72.

im not concerned about genos chances and base roster or dlc with vergebens leak he seems extremely likely BUT legitimately I think the evidence is there that we are getting geno base roster as the final reveal.
This...this is smart.
Never really considered that before.

Buddy? SOLID SNAKE IS BACK. You're expecting me not to buy a console just for Smash Ultimate? Then you're being a fool.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

??? Why? Listen I may be a complete box denier and disagree with those that support it, but I'm probably only one of MANY people who already find the roster completely satisfying.

- They brought back everyone, no more complaining about missing vets
- They streamlined gameplay, made it more competitive and faster, and increased the skill gap. They lowered end move lag which is a ****ING GODSEND
- They gave us 2 highly requested Villains, both of which are heavies and add to the extremely small heavy group.
- on top of this, 7 other characters people wanted so far (+2/3 simply based on Vergebens claims) have been added. They may not be everyone's favorite, but they ALL fill a niche.

I have my fair share of disagreements about this being the final roster, but dude, if it ended with isabelle, we should all be happy that we still got this iteration of the game.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I’m sorry does having literally every veteran in the franchise not do enough for you? I was sold on the roster before I even knew any of our newcomers besides Inkling.

D

Deleted member

If the Box Theory is true we won't just have a #69 fighter, the total number of fighters will BE 69(+Echoes)
I want Sakurai to say that number in the final reveal because I'm a 13-year old inside.
"69 TOTAL PLAYABLE CHARACTERS!"
"Heheh he said 69"
Oh **** man, I'm sorry, I didn't know you decided how I felt about this game.
Where is the Corocoro correction?
What correction?

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who likes the fact that the fighters are ordered by chronological order? I dunno, it just feels like i'm going through Smash history whenever I look at it.
However, I do hope there's some way to order it by series for those less sentimental than me.
The layout is pretty confusing for casual players. I could navigate it well enough because I played these games for years so I just automatically will know whats the smash 64 section, the melee section etc and which characters came from which game. If you don't however, good luck finding the mario character you want when this time they are all scattered all across the css.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't buy into the theory 100%, but this is nonsense. Absolutely nothing will stop me from being incredibly excited about a Smash game with literally every character that's ever been in before, at least 103 stages, significant gameplay improvements from Smash 4, and ****ing Ridley. If I wasn't excited for the game at that point then one or two more newcomers wouldn't have changed that anyways.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
If the Box Theory is true we won't just have a #69 fighter, the total number of fighters will BE 69(+Echoes)
I want Sakurai to say that number in the final reveal because I'm a 13-year old inside.
"69 TOTAL PLAYABLE CHARACTERS!"
"Heheh he said 69"

Oh **** man, I'm sorry, I didn't know you decided how I felt about this game.

What correction?
I'm confused.
You're implying the Corocoro 108 stages leak ISN'T true, right?
But...would they not have released a correction by now?

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
So this could be our final roster...
How would Ya'll rate it from a Scale of 1 to 10?
:ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool:
I give it a 9 out of 10. Inkling's cool, Ridley and K. Rool are absolutely stunning, Incineroar I've grown more and more fond of as time goes by and last but not least Ken, Isabelle, Dark Samus, Simon and Richter are nice to have as icing on the cake so to speak. Don't care too much about Chrom and Daisy but I'm happy for their fans nevertheless.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The box theory may or may not be true. We won’t officially know until either it releases or we get an echo not between Paly and Cloud or two newbies.

What’s annoying about it is it shut down everything. We can’t speculate anymore, since invariably one or more people will come in and tell us it’s impossible since the box exists. Speculation for DLC, if the box is true, should then still be valid, but all speculation here just focuses on solely Ken and Incineroar.

At this point, I’d just be interested in gettihg more news that doesn’t involve the same rehashed topics. Has anyone found any cool new mechanics from the Best Buy demos?
I can't believe I'm saying this, but even the Pokemon talks are better than what this thread's going through right now. There aren't even any Exeggutor jokes anymore.

I would like to see Ryu being himself, wandering alone and looking for challenges and keeps getting confused about where the hell he is and how things like Isabelle, Ridley and Pokémon have escaped notice in the world.

Then Bayonetta shows up and she’s like “Seems pretty tame to me...”
Except that Ryu regularly meets up with all sorts of weirdoes to fight in regular Capcom crossovers alone, this is nothing new to him, if anything.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Who I want to see team up in Spirits if its like SSE.

-:ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultdarksamus::ultganondorf::ultkrool::ultridley:

-:ultdarkpit::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultwario::ultwolf:

-:ultlucas::ultrosalina:(Just for the son-mother like bond the two could develop)

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Okay, I need to dial it back, I apologize. This might sound a little weird, but the box theory has completely distracted me from practically everything else about the game because of the fact that A. it's highly likely that it's real, and B. if it is real, we have to wait for DLC characters, and I for one hate waiting.
I'm being irrational and angry and I need to calm down. Sorry guys.

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
So this could be our final roster...
How would Ya'll rate it from a Scale of 1 to 10?
:ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool:
Full roster? 15/10 because: :ultshulk::ultrobin:ultlucina::ultroy::ultwolf::ultyounglink::ultpichu::ultcloud::ultcorrin: :ultsnake::ultdarkpit::ultpokemontrainer::ulticeclimbers::ultlucas:are back/stayed in and :ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf: got the best redesigns possible. Plus :ultchrom::ultinkling::ultrichter::ultsimon: being a nice cherry on top.
Newcomers alone: I'd say 6/10

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I can't believe I'm saying this, but even the Pokemon talks are better than what this thread's going through right now. There aren't even any Exeggutor jokes anymore.

Except that Ryu regularly meets up with all sorts of weirdoes to fight in regular Capcom crossovers alone, this is nothing new to him, if anything.
Weirdos, yeah. Not Space dragons and cartoons.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
The thing is, unless you cant play Smash Down until you unlock all the characters, its not gonna matter anyways. If you start wirh the OG 8, unlock 1 character, then play Smash Down, then the entire theory falls apart because 9 is nit divisible by 4. Youre pribabku not gonna unlock 4 fighters at a time either. The game probably just ignores the remaining 1-3 characters and calls it a day for Samsh Down.

I dont buy box theory, because the special editiin revealed at the 8/8 direct didnt have all the figjters on the cover since its a placeholder. No one worried then. This new box is also more likely than nit a placeholder, so why worry now?

Coro coro usually recieves early information from Nintendo (didnt they reveal sun and moon pokemon all the time during pre release?) So I think Coro coro is the most reasonable "theory" of the ines we have. Besides, i just find it odd that there is THAT much negative space in the select screen. 3DS had a blank button for dlc when it launched, but Ultimate wouldnt need a dlc button the size of 6 stage spaces.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Would also like to see :ultlucario: and :ultryu: team up. How :ultsamus:/:ultzss: and :ultpikachu: paired perfectly these two easily would since Lucario is all about fighting. I can imagine Ryu being the perfect Pokemon Trainer for Lucario.

Is there even any fanart of these two together? Because I'd actually be surprised if there weren't...

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If they got it wrong I'd expect to see a correction by now.

Japanese trains give you a free train journey and an official note to your employers to inform them of why you were late if they're more than a minute over time. It doesn't seem like the kind of culture that'd let this slip for so long if false.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Okay, I need to dial it back, I apologize. This might sound a little weird, but the box theory has completely distracted me from practically everything else about the game because of the fact that A. it's highly likely that it's real, and B. if it is real, we have to wait for DLC characters, and I for one hate waiting.
It's not "highly likely" that it's real.
It's at best 50/50.

Why would they though?
Because they're legally required as they are giving misinformation, I believe.
IIRC Corocoro has released corrections before.
Why would they not??

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly I'm just excited to speculate about what Spirits Mode is all about.

D

Deleted member

Would also like to see :ultlucario: and :ultryu: team up. How :ultsamus:/:ultzss: and :ultpikachu: paired perfectly these two easily would since Lucario is all about fighting. I can imagine Ryu being the perfect Pokemon Trainer for Lucario.

Is there even any fanart of these two together? Because I'd actually be surprised if there weren't...
And then Ken shows up with his Incineroar.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I don't think that the CoroCoro 108 stage bit is accurate. It seems much more likely to me that they misreported it.

The alternative is that press already has a packet that says "108 Stages" and they mistook one set of info for another.

I'm more inclined to think it's just 103 though.
If it is 103 they should've said something by now. You can't just market the game in a magazine as having 108 stages if it actually has 103. As far as I'm aware that's actually illegal.

Why would they though?
Because false marketing is something people get sued over

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's actually perfect. :ultryu: and Ken getting their own fighting Pokemon. Really hope that's a thing in Spirits. :)
Only one small problem, Incineroar isn't fighting type. However, Fire beats Steal, and Fighting beats Dark, so Incineroar and Lucario do beat each other's typings. So that's neat.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
The layout is pretty confusing for casual players. I could navigate it well enough because I played these games for years so I just automatically will know whats the smash 64 section, the melee section etc and which characters came from which game. If you don't however, good luck finding the mario character you want when this time they are all scattered all across the css.
For someone who owns the game, it will presumably be fine - they'll see the roster building up as they unlock everything, so should get a handle on where everybody is.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Only one small problem, Incineroar isn't fighting type. However, Fire beats Steal, and Fighting beats Dark, so Incineroar and Lucario do beat each other's typings. So that's neat.
Can still hope for :ultlucario: and :ultryu: never the less though. It's just perfect chemistry. Also being this isn't the Pokemon series. Incineroar and Lucario could simply be friendly rivals like how Ryu and Ken are (Who are also best friends).

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
What's making the Box Theory so credible now?

It’s still in confirmation limbo. That’s the only important thing to know. We don’t know yet and people are trying to figure it out.

In the mean time, I’ll be having a warm cup of tea and watching Big Mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom