• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pep1to

Smash Journeyman
Guys how much do you think the complete version will differ from the demo we have seen/played?

Just tried the demo and it was crisp, only thing i dislike is the balloon effect on hits, feels like you are gonna die with every strong smash attack, no kidding.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I'll never understand why people believe that ATs can't be promoted to fighters as DLC, but I guess it's another case of the Smash fanbase moving goalposts because "it can only be done inbetween game" even though I clearly remember seeing people believe being an Assist was a death sentence forever and that's why Little Mac would never be playable.
If ATs locked characters out of potential DLC, then might as well have none at all as the whole point of a "consolation prize" gets thrown away.
Because people can be foolish sometimes

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Isabelle killing :ultbayonetta::ultbowser::ultfalcon::ultganondorf::ultkrool::ultdarkpit::ultridley::ultryu::ultdarksamus::ultsnake::ultvillager::ultwolf::ultzss: >

The only truly acceptable choice before and after Geno

Then they’ll be forced to do so

Closest to such a thing are the Amiibo for :ultbayonetta::ultbowser::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultdk::ultinkling::ultkingdedede::ultkirby::ultlink::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultzelda: (though alts specifically for Smash would be hot)

Or you can get Roman Reigns alts instead...case OOOOOOOH AAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!
View attachment 164681View attachment 164683
Will be more accurate if he gets a positive reaction (something most heels can’t get much of anymore)

WWE + #69 = TOP TIER OP FIGHTER
Ganondorf and ZSS were redesigned for ultimate too!

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I'll never understand why people believe that ATs can't be promoted to fighters as DLC, but I guess it's another case of the Smash fanbase moving goalposts because "it can only be done inbetween game" even though I clearly remember seeing people believe being an Assist was a death sentence forever and that's why Little Mac would never be playable.
If ATs locked characters out of potential DLC, then might as well have none at all as the whole point of a "consolation prize" gets thrown away.
Except there is a clear difference between an AT being promoted between games vs. an AT being promoted in the same game

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I don't think a DLC AT promotion is impossible, since there's nothing stopping them from having the AT not show up with the fighter, or even Alfonzo-ing it. However I wouldn't hold my breath.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Everyone talk about Geno's Mii Costume but they forget about Chocobo.

Also I guess Tails will be playable since Sonic had two Mii costume announced at that time with Knuckles who's now an AT.

Look, I want Geno as much as everyone bcs he looks so ****ing cool. But let's not use the Mii Costume as proof even if there like K.rool/Isabelle/Chrom and Inkling that got playable please ....

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Echo promotion
Hear me out, I think Sakurai and the team made the Echoes, and then began working on upgrading them to full charecters.
Certain echoes, Richter, Daisy, Lucina, Dark Pit, Chrom and maybe even Dark Samus have the possibility to be unique, Sakurai knows this, and put them in as echoes to sate the fans hunger, and then releases them fully as soon as he is able
This is way less likely than tails, but the possibility is there an I think it will happen
I remember that after Smash 4's launch, I saw a handful of people who hoped/expected that balance patches would be used to further declone Dark Pit and Lucina, only for that to never happen. And considering that those two didn't seem to receive any changes going into Ultimate...

I'm like 99% certain this is just wishful thinking, just like last time. Characters with an Echo labeling will stay that way for the rest of Ultimate's life span.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Everyone talk about Geno's Mii Costume but they forget about Chocobo.

Also I guess Tails will be playable since Sonic had two Mii costume announced at that time with Knuckles who's now an AT.

Look, I want Geno as much as everyone bcs he looks so ****ing cool. But let's not use the Mii Costume as proof even if there like K.rool/Isabelle/Chrom and Inkling that got playable please ....
Here's the thing.

Chocobo's are an iconic mascot figure which would be easy to bring over as a simple costume to have some more Final Fantasy spirit.

Geno is a one-off character from a decades-old, third party, RPG game.

There is a 0% chance Geno didn't get that Mii costume due to fan demand.

Turnips and Daisies.

Banned via Warnings
Yes, many characters were absent from the demo because they were buggy. Peach’s Parasol was buggy in the Direct footage (but Daisy’s isn’t...)

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
My main hope for Incineroar is that he has a green alt for John Cena memes, and a darker alt for Stone Cold Steve Austin memes.

It'll remind me of WWE in good ways haha.
I can just imagine it now after he gets revealed: Let's go InCENAroar, InCENAroar sucks!

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Here's the thing.

Chocobo's are an iconic mascot figure which would be easy to bring over as a simple costume to have some more Final Fantasy spirit.

Geno is a one-off character from a decades-old, third party, RPG game.

There is a 0% chance Geno didn't get that Mii costume due to fan demand.
Oh. I'm not saying the contrary. Far from that, Geno's presence as a Mii Costume is fan demand and I really hope it's a sign he's playable but... I'm still not buying the Mii Costume things...

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Yeah, I have this really weird feeling that Inicneroar will be the memeieset Newcomer.
How fitting for fighter #69.
And for the cat.
And for a Fire type (420 blaze it)
and for the starter who was "lit af" in its base stage

Folks I think we know why Incineroar was chosen!

As soon as I get my Smash Ultimate Special Edition, I am gonna grab the game and Pro controller, then light the box on fire to symbolize my hatred for the box art theory.
But what if the box theory is right O:

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Didn't the majority of people here think that Assist Trophies didn't have a chance of being a playable fighter in the same game? And now it's being contested again.

I don't wanna be that guy, but in the August Direct, Sakurai said that all the Assist Trophies could be considered special guests, so A) he cares a lot about assists to label them as such, and B) he probably feels like he represented them well enough already without the need for those characters to be playable.

I don't know why people on either side of the Assist Trophy promotion argument think being one is some sort of atrocity, and that a character may only be represented properly as a playable character.

Really, I'm not saying that Sakurai couldn't break his own rule. Hell, I would love to be proved wrong. But it's been shown that he feels that the Assists don't need to be playable to be represented properly. That's why I don't think any of the assists will be DLC playable characters.

I'm just one person though, so it really doesn't matter what I think, lol.

D

Deleted member

My main hope for Incineroar is that he has a green alt for John Cena memes, and a darker alt for Stone Cold Steve Austin memes.

It'll remind me of WWE in good ways haha.
tmw Nintendo brings back the Attitude Era before WWE ever will

stumped scott.png

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Oh. I'm not saying the contrary. Far from that, Geno's presence as a Mii Costume is fan demand and I really hope it's a sign he's playable but... I'm still not buying the Mii Costume things...
I'm not sure how it can be any more obvious than that, that the Mii Costumes do mean something in some cases?
Not all of them. But in some specific cases like K. Rool and Chrom and Geno.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Guys how much do you think the complete version will differ from the demo we have seen/played?

Just tried the demo and it was crisp, only thing i dislike is the balloon effect on hits, feels like you are gonna die with every strong smash attack, no kidding.
This is one of the newer mechanics I'm nervous about. I'll obviously get used to it, but I hope it doesn't feel to weird at first.

It's also important to point out to everyone that this is the same demo from June so a lot of work has been done on the game since then. I'm not surprised bugs are still being found, but the majority of them will definitely be ironed out by release.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I'm not sure you realize this and I've only realized it myself now, but I think Online Service, while it may be a bit underwhelming and needs alot of polishing...is still more cheaper than PS4's online service. I mean, the Family service costs 35$, yes, but it's noticeably VERY cheaper than the stupid PS4's family service which requires you to pay like, 480$.

Although online service might still be a bit underwhelming, the cost difference between that and PS4 is still noticeable and very huge. Sony wants to suck the cash out customers by paying 480$ a year but Nintendo tries to take it kindly by paying only 35$ per year and allowing up to 8 members.

This might be actually worth mentioning when buying the Family membership for Smash Ultimate online service.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I unfortunately have the feeling that the 108 stages thing is a misprint, but I hope it's actually real.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
this SE rep hasnt been talked about much.

people are going to try and say its geno but i really doubt it. geno is not a capable SE rep. he doesnt makes the long list notable SE characters i think it comes down to sepiroth, Laura, chrono, or another FF character. (maybe protagonist of 9 or 10).

yes there will be salt over the last few characters but thats this community.

the potential bayonetta v dante matches in smash ultimate has me very excited. i think its only fitting since they are in the same world in the games.

dlc lineup i expect: xenoblade character, Botw champion, Heihachi, sepiroth (assuming he isnt in base), shantae, fjorm, and chunli. a mix of third party and nintendo. mostly newer characters designed to draw in a wider audience for smash.
I'm definitely loving your DLC choices. Also in terms of SE newcomers, just give me Sora, Neku, Terra, or Lara Croft, and that'd do it for me SE rep wise.
What would you guys think if surprisingly Ken isn't an echo and is actually being fighter 70?
I think I'd rather Amaterasu than for Ken to be #70, or our next Capcom newcomer.
At this point, my one fear about DLC characters ( I'm sure we won't get any annouced before release) is them missing out a potential story mode if such comes in the base game.
No worries, that can easily be taken care of by adding an extension to the story.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I'm not sure how it can be any more obvious than that, that the Mii Costumes do mean something in some cases?
I just say... let's not and never say it's "obviously" him. There NO Shoe in. Never.

Look at what Happened to Ashley fans who also used the Mii Costume argument.
Now Bandana Dee who top all poll and what not but is nowhere to be seen in any leaks so far...
Or how Shadow was the obvious Echo lock.
Same for Dixie-Kong once we learned that echoes could be somewhat different.

hopefully the box leak is false for all of these fans. But again

NEVER say any Characters is obvious or a shoe-ln. How many times should we say it?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Not gonna lie, I've felt a bit tired of my main boy Incineroar for the past months due to how tiring speculation surrounding him and only him got, but Vergeben confirming he was our Pokemon rep had me literally clapping and shouting in joy. It reminded how much I love that guy. I'd like to share a tiny story about him if that's alright.

Basically when I got Pokemon Sun, I hated Litten. I thought he was so boring and just a lame cat with red marks on him. Well...then as I selected my starter I realized I didn't actually care for Popplio and Rowlet was used by everyone. So I gave Litten a chance.

In time, I became very fond of the "dumb" little cat, and was astounded at how good he got. As with all Starters I have, I came to really love the guy, and eventually when he became Incineroar, I was so excited. I thought, and still think, he's such a goofy, over-the-top, fun, badass character.

So, that's why I wanted Incineroar before that fateful Vergeben leak but assumed he was just a pipe dream.

So if my boy is really coming home, well...I'll be reminded just why I love that big guy in the first place.

D

Deleted member

I think Geno is the biggest omission, mainly because back in the Final Video Presentation for Smash 4, he literally was the only Mii Costume ever to have a splash screen and a separate announcement from the rest of the costume line-up. K. Rool, Chrom, I don't think any characters that had Mii Costumes then upgraded to characters ever had a splash screen.

It feels like with Sakurai trying to make Geno in Brawl, but couldn't, then making him a Mii Costume and presenting it as if it were a character, it just feels like a massive crescendo with Geno at the moment. There's no way I can see him being DLC given both history and Sakurai listening to the ballot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom