• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Ken's kinda weird because him echoing Ryu is accurate... But only for like the first two SF games.

They've diverged quite a bit in Alpha, 3 onward.
True, but installments here and there are iffy. Technically the "latest" Street Fighter game Nintendo has gotten is 2 again. And from what I've played, the Project x Zone series harkens more back to those days as well.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Ken's kinda weird because him echoing Ryu is accurate... But only for like the first two SF games.

They've diverged quite a bit in Alpha, 3 onward.
Well given how big Street Fighter 2 was on the SNES, i'd expect Ken to play very similarly to Ryu. IIRC that's the game Smash takes the most inspiration from.

Chrono.

I think Ken could get away with being labeled an echo while still having his own significant amount of differences just because his toolkit is still so heavily based on Ryu and Ryu himself has the biggest moveset in the game.
Well given how big Street Fighter 2 was on the SNES, i'd expect Ken to play very similarly to Ryu. IIRC that's the game Smash takes the most inspiration from.
Not quite.

Ryu pretty much pulls from all his games, but he's closer to his SF4 counterpart more than anything else. Even getting the Focus Attack mechanic from said game.

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
Is there like... some stigma against Dante or something? Why would there be some negative reaction to him if he was in?
Because Dante never had a game on a nintendo console and nintendo fans don't care much for him. He comes from a series that originated on playstation and is pretty different from what nintendo fans like.

Personally, I think he's a better choice than what most people are asking, since he's from a critically acclaimed successful series that has fans with a new game coming out soon, unlike many other popular requests. On a plus, he arguably has the best "moveset potential" like what some of you guys like.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I think if Incineroar & Ken are all that's left in the base game. I still think there's a decent chance of some currently speculated characters to be among the first DLC.

I think Geno could be our Smash 4 Mewtwo

Other potential characters at least early on could still be currently missing assist trophies and/or unaccounted for Mii Costumes. Including:

Isaac (Technically a missing AT since Brawl so may not mean much. But if he did well enough in the ballot. Just maybe)
Tails
Heihachi
Lloyd
Shadow (May even be an echo packaged with Tails)

I also think Dixie Kong may very well be a strong semi-clone DLC candidate for this time too, I no longer think Dixie has to be an echo after Isabelle's inclusion. Though of course we do have to think about them including more new characters like Spring Man (Potentially with a Ribbon Girl echo), Rex & Pyra, etc. as well as unrepresented 3rd parties (Crash, Rayman, Banjo, etc.)

There's potentially plenty more possibilities then what I mentioned in this post so don't think all that I mentioned is the end-all be-all choices. This just means DLC Speculation is still going to be plenty interesting once it jumpstarts. And may either begin immediately if we have a Smash 4 Mewtwo DLC-like reveal (Last time with Smash 4 Mewtwo we weren't sure there'd be more fighters until Lucas and the Fighter Ballot was announced. This time it would be practically assured) or wait until a few months to give the base game some spotlight until a Spring direct revealing our first DLC character. (Or maybe in January for the 20th anniversary of the Smash Bros. franchise in Japan)

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Hmm. You know. If Inceneroar and ken do in fact, get in. I can see Nintendo doing something similar to the last smash direct.

One Nintendo newcomer, along with a Capcom echo, Ken, and a capcom newcomer, hopefully Phoenix Wright.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
True, but installments here and there are iffy. Technically the "latest" Street Fighter game Nintendo has gotten is 2 again. And from what I've played, the Project x Zone series harkens more back to those days as well.
Project X Zone has used several of his unique moves, plus him and Ryu imitating things from the anime movie of 2 though. Such as Ryu pinning down the opponent while Ken Tatsus. So it's not just SF2, but other games and media based on 2 that diversfied them still.

Ryu takes inspiration from 2, but also 4 a bit, as well as of course his perfect shield being the parry from 3.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I'm actually convinced it's Geno because he's afraid a mob is going to attack him if he says the characters name and it turns out the character isn't in the game.

...unfortunately, which Square character could you imagine having a larger backlash than Geno?
Or he's a leaker afraid of being wrong and ostracized.

Considering people already hate him for the most part, claiming a character he isn't confident in would destroy him and his reputation lightning fast.

Remember how that guy from Gamestop that had the demo got doxxed because he lied about the story of how he got the game. I can't even begin to imagine what would happen to Vergeben if he ended up giving the community more ammo to hate him.

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
I love how much of an emotional rollercoaster this has been. I went from thinking the box theory was fake, to dismissing both theories, to believing the magazine leak, to believing both, and then to finally accepting the box theory.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Characters with guns for hands are going to become the new anime swordsman at this rate:
:ultsamus::ultmegaman::ultmiifighters::ultdarksamus:

kylexv

Smash Master
If you have nothing to add to the actual topic, please don't post. Keep it constructive. We want it to stay on-topic, and more importantly, actually replying to a current conversation or starting a new proper one.
Hey guys, I'm ba-
reads the last 40 pages.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I think Ken could get away with being labeled an echo while still having his own significant amount of differences just because his toolkit is still so heavily based on Ryu and Ryu himself has the biggest moveset in the game.

Not quite.

Ryu pretty much pulls from all his games, but he's closer to his SF4 counterpart more than anything else. Even getting the Focus Attack mechanic from said game.
Yep. Hell, Ryu can even FADC Ultra in this game. Considering the efforts they went through to make him faithful to his current appearances, I imagine they'd do the same for Ken.

On the topic of Street Fighter characters I see Chun-Li as a popular pick, and while I agree that she'd be great, having her do those charge inputs in Smash would probably be a nightmare.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah my bad on the Street Fighter thing. I still think Ken is tailored to being an Echo even if he has a difference or two.

And RE: AT's being promoted, I think it can happen. There's nothing written in stone that it can't. And if that were to happen then it would be Waluigi being promoted. Even if he is the special exception and no one else got it though I think Bomberman might have a chance as well.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
With the exception of Pac-man, I haven't had a personal connection to any of the other third-party characters in Smash, at least, not until after playing the Smash games they debuted in. I've played some of the Street Fighter and Marvel vs. Capcom games, so I'm not unfamiliar with Ryu, but I don't really care about Ken either way. Don't care whether Dante gets in or not either, to be honest.

The only third party characters that I'd be really happy to see at this point are Spyro, Rayman, and to a lesser extent, Crash. I don't see any of them happening soon.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Notice how the side is black. With nothing on it.
Now ask yourself. If the other boxart sides did not matter, why did they waste their effort doing it?
That, and the American Switch bundle has just the logo on the side and looks like a placeholder. We might be seeing the characters on multiple packages' sides...
https_%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2018%2F09%2Fnintendo-switch-super-smash-bros-ultimate-bund...jpg

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
You realize that that has literally nothing to do with what I’m talking about... Right?
You said the box art will change. And it does not matter because we are a few months off.

The murak is one image that can change. The other box art is purposefully designed that way with a pattern

2 more reps.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
One of the first things I am doing when Smash Ultimate launches (after unlocking the fighters) is doing some team battles with me playing as Isabelle and a CPU Ridley on one team and two other fighters on the other. The best possible team-up, truly!

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Considering Isabelle's reveal was followed by an animal crossing game reveal, this kinds of gives me hope that they might follow this pattern and reveal Crash and Spyro later as DLC along with the Reignited Trilogy Switch version and maybe a 2019 Crash game. A man can dream.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Actually the dude that got a hold of video from the ESRB didn’t even work there at all.

He wasn’t fired, he didn’t get a lawsuit, nothing actually happened to him.
Is there a source on this? I was always curious as to what happened with him.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
While SFV is kind of just mixed as a whole, I do kind of hope it's version of Ken's theme gets in

Side note: I'd be ok with SFV Ken as an alt costume but I'd very much prefer that he keep his SF2 self as the default. I am NOT buying a Banana Hair Ken amiibo

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You said the box art will change. And it does not matter because we are a few months off.

The murak is one image that can change. The other box art is purposefully designed that way with a pattern

2 more reps.
...Except we literally don’t know if that’s the case, there’s nothing saying that the packaging isn’t final or that it’s designed that way, usually they have a note with an asterisk at the bottom saying so.

Yet another reason for me not to believe this theory.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Here's all the music we need from Sun and Moon
- Vs. Alola Elite Four
- Vs. Island Guardian
- Vs. Team Skull Boss Guzma