• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
One potential DLC Assist promotion that I think lots of folks are sleeping on is Lyn. She's incredibly popular, but Intelligent Systems themselves didn't realize it until long after Ultimate's roster was decided.
I agree with this, she’s become a major Nintendo character, the only thing I could see preventing her is if Sakurai is content with Fire Emblem representation in Smash but other than that I see a lot for her.

Potato_

Smash Lord
It could be also female Robin or female Corrin, but the male versions are the default appearance for both
Yeah it could also be them too, but like you mentioned the male versions are the default for both of them so idk.

On a side note, you can guess which version of Robin I play for me to not even consider that.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
In terms of Assist Trophies in Ultimate becoming playable characters, it certainly could happen but I'm quite skeptical. I'm not skeptical because I don't want the characters, but rather skeptical that after taking the time to code, design, and animate Assist Trophies, that they would add those characters over others that haven't had a role in the game at all.

No disrespect to those who want Ashley, Waluigi, or somebody else. That's simply how I'm currently viewing it is all.

To shift gears a bit, I wanted to make a brief mention of the credibility of leaks and information being passed around. Something to note is that Vergeben has more than one source or contact. He has more than one person , whether they are a playtester or some other method of seeing the game, telling him that Incineroar and Ken are in Smash Ultimate, and only one source saying that there's a Square character with them. As Vergeben will not commit to the name of the character, like he just did about Incineroar, it would imply that he does not feel as confident in that particular character.

This also assumes that Vergeben is the only person with this information, and that nobody else has heard the same things from different sources. There are likely people who are quiet about it or aren't sharing the information that they know regardless of if it corroborates anything.

This will probably get brushed aside considering how fast this thread moves, but I think it's fair to take this information from Verg seriously. He's been correct on everything he's commented on since the game was first shown off at E3. This includes:
- Ridley
- Snake
- Ice Climbers
- Simon Belmont
- Isabelle (not remembering if he specifically said she was an echo, but I believe he did. He explained the discrepancy in another post)

He didn't leak K.Rool, but he frankly was never told that K.Rool was in. While he has historically been wrong on certain games/content, so far with Smash he HASN'T been. He now is backing up his claims on Incineroar and Ken (doubling down) and has even questioned his sources on the box art theory. If he is questioning about it, that could very well imply that he hasn't heard of anything or anyone else in the game aside from the questionable Square character. That's something to think about.

At this point to not at least entertain the idea that we're getting Incineroar and Ken, and ONLY Incineroar and Ken on base roster is a bit shaky. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but saying you think Verg is "full of ****" at this point is starting to seem edgy, in at least some aspects.

It's like, "Yeah, he got some predictions or information right. His sources definitely know what's good. But **** em, I don't believe it. There's no way Incineroar and Ken finish it up."

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Seems there is some news ? Anything of interest ?
Corocoro has seemingly either misprinted or on accident, leaked that there will be 108 stages in Ultimate. We don't know yet so nothing super noteworthy.

Additionally Vergeben complete confirmed Incineroar and Ken. He's still waiting on the SE character and additional characters

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Corocoro has seemingly either misprinted or on accident, leaked that there will be 108 stages in Ultimate. We don't know yet so nothing super noteworthy.

Additionally Vergeben complete confirmed Incineroar and Ken. He's still waiting on the SE character and additional characters
Yeah? Well I confirmed Farfetch’d, Chun Li and Auron ;)

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Well today posts have been rampant and hard to follow lol. Just another day on Smashboards lol

D

Deleted member

Wouldn't it be perfect if Incineroar's revealed last and people hate him because he isn't *insert character here*? He is a heel, after all.

Potato_

Smash Lord
He now is backing up his claims on Incineroar and Ken (doubling down) and has even questioned his sources on the box art theory.
I took this as meaning he has reason to believe it could be possible.

Which if the SE source is as reliable as he claims and has never been wrong, would mean that it'd have to be dlc.

Theory is plausible but not totally confirmed yet, basically nothing changes. Keep it in mind and wait for more info.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
As much as I want 108 stages, I'm starting to worry it was simply an error. 3 and 8 do look awfully similar.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
We have more than a dozen Mario spin off game rep. Why do we need more?
Because not a one of them actually reps any of the spin-offs?

Peach having the golf club, tennis racket, etc in her moveset does not count.

The sports spin-offs and Mario Kart are some of Nintendo's biggest sellers. They are long overdue proper Smash representation.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
If we're talking about assist trophy promotions as DLC, really there's only one likely candidate. Bomberman.

Now, I know what you're thinking, it should be Walugi because [insert well thought out argument] or it should be Ashley because [well thought out argument] or, any other of the other AT's. However, if we're being rational and logical none of that really matters. Those arguments all boil down to "I just want this character so deal with it." Bomberman has actual, objective, irrefutable reasons why he would be first in line for promotion over the rest:

It'd make me happy :)

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
I just remembered: back in 2007 and in 2008 this animated music video was pretty damn popular:

Remember this? Friendly reminder that Kirbopher, the animator of this, also did the hugely popular Brawl Taunts trilogy of animations as well. Thing is, could this have inadvertently lead to people suddenly taking an interest in Geno and wanting him in Smash as early as Brawl?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I really believe the box leak.

But this whole Square Enix thing has me interested for obvious reasons.

Could it be DLC? He just tripled down the character exists

Potato_

Smash Lord
Vergenben has leaked information before... He leaked the TMNT in Injustice.
Yes he has but he's also gotten stuff wrong by listening to unreliable sources/trolls. See his FighterZ info where he said Raditz and Zarbon would be in the game/dlc, which he admitted was a faulty source.

But yes, more often than not he gets things right.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Like the thing that irks me is that people are saying the Square Enix character is being held off till DLC so that they can prove the box art theory, which quite frankly is really stupid and kinda grasping at straws.

They wouldn’t hold off a character clearly intended for the base game for DLC, that’s really shady business practice and something Sakurai has already said to be against.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Personally, I would just want DLC to wrap up the remaining important characters. Dixie Kong and Toad (original, Captain, or even Toadette) are the last two Nintendo All-Stars. I am not sure though if Captain's background NPC role excludes him from being DLC though (we do not know if he has a role in the stage yet or not like Pauline and her band). I would take Toadette honestly if it meant we got Toad as an echo fighter (Toadette seems to be heavily promoted these last few years).

Other important characters that would be needed for Smash to seem "complete" are just Bandanna Dee, Isaac, and a character to represent Rhythm Heaven. Bandanna Dee build up an impressive resume over the course of this decade, and was the co-star alongside Kirby for two titles so far (Rainbow Curse and Battle Royale), and is probably the most wanted newcomer on the Japanese side of things. For Isaac, Golden Sun is a franchise with a dedicated cult following, three games to date (and with a rumored fourth installment heading to the 3DS), and Isaac is probably the most wanted newcomer left on the Western side of things. Rhythm Heaven is only active first party Nintendo franchise left that has a 10+ year history that still lacks any major representation in Smash Bros.

I am not sure DLC is going to hit all of those notes (particularly Toad), but I can hope. Dixie Kong in particular is a legend. One of the first mainstream female gaming icons.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I really believe the box leak.

But this whole Square Enix thing has me interested for obvious reasons.

Could it be DLC? He just tripled down the character exists
I severely doubt it ends with Incineroar. He just doesn't know anymore beyond the 3 he has.

Like people are really trying hard to prove this box is completely right and not made by some employee who doesn't have the entire games character list that isn't subject to change when more characters get announced

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I'm probably late but Verg has finally confirmed FOR REAL that the Pokemon is Incineroar

Also he isn't against the SE character possibly being DLC but he has no information on it being so

But he still believes in the SE character because the source is reliable
I wish there was a way to contact him outside of Gamefaqs. I have but one question to ask gim.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
This is a flawed leak though. The OP doesn't have a triptag to imply it was him. It could have been anyone who posted the second piece of info
Those of us supporting the Dante leak don't view it as two posts from the same person, but rather two different leakers with corroborating info.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Like the thing that irks me is that people are saying the Square Enix character is being held off till DLC so that they can prove the box art theory, which quite frankly is really stupid and kinda grasping at straws.

They wouldn’t hold off a character clearly intended for the base game for DLC, that’s really shady business practice and something Sakurai has already said to be against.
The Second Square Rep could be a Sonic case like in Brawl, where the discussion took too long because Square is Square and stingy before agreeing.

But this time instead of pushing the game back they decided to make DLC which would probably and even Maaaaybe helped Square to Agree with a cut to the money.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Honestly I highly doubt the box art means anything, we still have a couple months left worth of reveals, and packaging like this can be easily acclimated to avoid things such as leaks, take this packaging which doesn’t even have Isabelle:
966229D3-61B7-435B-A6DF-E147BF50C5E3.jpeg

Hell, for all we know these potential new characters may not even be on the packaging at all, they sometimes do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom