• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Was Dante in a reliable or probable leak?

I thought he got rumored at one point but I just can't remember which one.
Well there's two.

The first one was a leaker for DMC V who has gotten quite a few things right about that game who also said Dante would be in Smash, and basically detailed his reveal trailer.

The second one was a dude from 2 days before the direct who called Isabelle being a newcomer. He said no Skull Kid, no Geno. Ken, Incineroar and Dante in November.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I wouldn't mind Dante, he's basically the hack and slash character, but I do hope they strike a better balance between first and third party newcomers with DLC than they did with Smash 4. It's not that I mind third party characters, I just want some Nintendo ones aswell.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
The only characters I could realistically see getting promoted through DLC are Takamaru and Ashley since, hear me out:

-They had costumes released at the tail-end of DLC
-They both started getting more and more recognition and popularity after the project plan was finalized (Particularly Ashley exploded)
-Sakurai has at least considered Takamaru but he dropped him due to lack of recognition abroad

Also Waluigi because of his fanbase but I feel like these two are the first in line for promotion.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Unlike most here, I'm not that hyped for DLC Speculation, I'll still participate in for sure but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth to discuss DLC so early.
And besides, I feel like if there are only 1 newcomer and 1 unique, Sakurai should have stressed "fewer new fighters" a lot harder because 6 uniques is just disappointing. Guess I just skipped denial and am entering depression early for the end of thus speculation period
Honestly, even if he did stress that point more, people would have still thought he was "trolling" or understating things. Really, the only thing he could have done to successfully manage expectations was to give a hard number upfront and then show the css with question mark boxes.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Limiting DLC characters to just ones that aren't assist trophies is absolutely stupid considering that's where a lot of popular characters have ended up. I can't see Sakurai going "Well, this character has a lot of support, but I'm not going to put them in as DLC just because they are an assist trophy that I could easily reuse some of the assets of to help make them a full character." Obviously, no assists are going to be base, but this stupid fan rule is bound to be broken by DLC. And no, Waluigi didn't have much of a fanbase during the ballot as far as I remember. He was always considered as a possible character, but support for him has never been this big. If Sakurai has seen the outcry for him and wants to include him as DLC, he will. (Also, sorry for bringing this back up)
I get it, I just don't get why would he decide putting him as DLC. We made this argument last time, too. "Sorry fans of Lyn, Ashley and Bomberman; Waluigi fans whined more" is a weird reason for making a character he rejected from base game playable via DLC.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Kamiya did say this. He wants them to meet, but he wants to be the project head on any game where they finally meet.

Now since Sakurai is his buddy he might be okay with Sakurai getting there first as Smash isn't necessarily a true crossover of the characters, but I also can see why Kamiya might want to see their first encounter be a true crossover and not a fighting game like Smash.
Seriously though, why does he block almost everyone? Aside from the "Smash idiots" tweet.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Well if Ashley, Takamaru and Waluigi do get promoted to to playable characters through DLC. I guess I could see said DLC also removing them completely as Assist Trophies...

Still don't think its gonna happen but I admit there is a possibility now I suppose.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Well there's two.

The first one was a leaker for DMC V who has gotten quite a few things right about that game who also said Dante would be in Smash, and basically detailed his reveal trailer.

The second one was a dude from 2 days before the direct who called Isabelle being a newcomer. He said no Skull Kid, no Geno. Ken, Incineroar and Dante in November.
Source for the reveal trailer post?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Was Dante in a reliable or probable leak?

I thought he got rumored at one point but I just can't remember which one.
First guy might be reliable

Second guy might have just made a random guess.

He said "Isabelle will be in the direct"

Anyone can make a random guess like that. How many leaks have said "This person will be in this" and got it wrong? Someone got lucky and got it right.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Waluigi making it in as DLC despite being an Assist Trophy would be fantastic. Not only because a highly wanted character would be making it in, but because it leaves the door wide open for other deconfirmed characters. Krystal, Ashley, etc. would all have another genuine chance at making in.

Plus, Waluigi was one of my more wanted characters, so seeing him make in as DLC would be nice to see. Though if I had to pick only one deconfirmed character to become DLC, it'd be Krystal without hesitation.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I get it, I just don't get why would he decide putting him as DLC. We made this argument last time, too. "Sorry fans of Lyn, Ashley and Bomberman; Waluigi fans whined more" is a weird reason for making a character he rejected from base game playable via DLC.
Yeah, it's really all up to Sakurai. I'd honestly prefer Ashley, Bomberman, and Lyn as well.

Edit: Although having Waluigi as a spin off game rep would be cool

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Anyone got a source for the Verg post?
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77008096

"
The gen 7 Pokemon that isn't Decidueye, Lycanroc, or obviously not Mimikyu is Incineroar.
I finally heard that it is Incineroar from all my main Smash sources so there you have it.

As for the roster, in the very least, Incineroar and Ken are left.
I've had people tagging me nonstop for the last day or two about the box theory, so I will address that.
I have been in contact with my sources about it. There's no confirmation as of this moment whether or not that will be it for the launch roster.

I guess I might as well end by saying that if you think this game won't be supported further after launch, well, that's not a smart assumption to make.
The Square Enix character that I heard about is an interesting exception in all of this when it comes to the box theory and my knowledge of there being a character of theirs comes from someone who's never had a habit of being wrong.
Even if that really is all for launch, it's not the end.

For the time being, it is a waiting game. They're going to contact me if they hear of any contradictions or information they can offer that confirms or denies the box theory. "

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Well if Ashley, Takamaru and Waluigi do get promoted to to playable characters through DLC. I guess I could see said DLC also removing them completely as Assist Trophies...

Still don't think its gonna happen but I admit there is a possibility now I suppose.
Erase the Mimikyu Pokeball while you are at it Nintendo! Make Pikaboo an Echo I don’t care!

Seriously, though we’ve talked about this before. Its wishful thinking at best. They could do it but the odds aren’t good.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
I never understood the appeal or want of Ashley, but if she gets in, good on her fans.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace

Maybe every time an assist trophy is used while they’re in the match and it would have rolled them, Alfonso appears instead ;)

D

Deleted member

I don't care what anyone says, I'll be campaigning for Shovel Knight and Alucard as DLC :^)

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Because they were released as DLC after the project plan was finalized, I don’t think they were able to take into account how Ashley or Takamaru sold for Smash Ultimate, but with DLC they can rectify that and include them as purchasable characters if their costumes sold well.

Also, I think Ashley would have her WarioWare Gold design. ;)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I never understood the appeal or want of Ashley, but if she gets in, good on her fans.
What's this about Ashley? She was already deconfirmed

Edit: Oh, people are talking about AT promotions.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, it's really all up to Sakurai. I'd honestly prefer Ashley, Bomberman, and Lyn as well.

Edit: Although having Waluigi as a spin off game rep would be cool
We have more than a dozen Mario spin off game rep. Why do we need more?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Comes from this info of Devil May Cry stuff by this pretty accurate leaker or something. That's why Dante is up to debate whether he's in the game or not.
Well there's two.

Pretty sure a good chunk of them were from 4Chan leaks, could be wrong though if someone wants to clarify.
First guy might be reliable

Second guy might have just made a random guess.

He said "Isabelle will be in the direct"

Anyone can make a random guess like that. How many leaks have said "This person will be in this" and got it wrong? Someone got lucky and got it right.
I see.

Considering that, I'm not terribly convinced of this just yet, but I'll keep it in mind. Verge might not have mentioned him, but I think it's pretty clear that he was unable to find out about every unique newcomer, taking King K. Rool into mind. Whether K. Rool remains the only newcomer he had no info on is something time will tell.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think it'd feel weird to see Waluigi in the Mario roster yet Wario isn't...That's the only thing that'd seem off...

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Howdy, this is the daily reminder to the thread that “need” in this context is subjective and doesn’t add to meaningful discussion.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
One potential DLC Assist promotion that I think lots of folks are sleeping on is Lyn. She's incredibly popular, but Intelligent Systems themselves didn't realize it until long after Ultimate's roster was decided.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Well, it would be more for the moveset to represent the spinoffs. Stuff like Mario Party Die and sports gear. Again, I'd much prefer other characters though

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

I still don’t even think they’d have to.

I mean, if Sakurai thinks it’s not confusing to have all of these running around at once...

FCC61C43-6FD9-441D-8290-482B69121889.png

I feel like he wouldn’t bat an eye at the 2% chance of twin Waluigi’s coexisting for 10 seconds.

Also they could just put one line of code in the game saying that if any of those characters are being played, not to have their assists appear.
I imagine it’d be pretty similar to how if someone’s charged with a Final Smash another Smash Ball can’t appear, or how in past games if there’s an assist on stage another assist trophy can’t appear.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
This is a flawed leak though. The OP doesn't have a triptag to imply it was him. It could have been anyone who posted the second piece of info
You're right, which is why we should still be wary of it.

Is he talking about Lucina?
That's how I understood it. It'd make sense, since it would need to be a female character who speaks and he mentioned that he thought it was FE.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You're right, which is why we should still be wary of it.

That's how I understood it. It'd make sense, since it would need to be a female character who speaks and he mentioned that he thought it was FE.
It could be also female Robin or female Corrin, but the male versions are the default appearance for both

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
One potential DLC Assist promotion that I think lots of folks are sleeping on is Lyn. She's incredibly popular, but Intelligent Systems themselves didn't realize it until long after Ultimate's roster was decided.
And they managed to shove her down People's throat so much that a lot of fan can't take her anymore thanks to Heroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom