• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Like the thing that irks me is that people are saying the Square Enix character is being held off till DLC so that they can prove the box art theory, which quite frankly is really stupid and kinda grasping at straws.

They wouldn’t hold off a character clearly intended for the base game for DLC, that’s really shady business practice and something Sakurai has already said to be against.
Well there's a few possibilities. The Square Enix rep could be base roster and Verge's sources just don't know for sure yet. The Square Enix rep could just not be ready for launch and that's why it's DLC. Or it won't even be DLC and will be a free update (REALLY unlikely but who knows at this point.)

Pakky

Smash Hero
I just remembered: back in 2007 and in 2008 this animated music video was pretty damn popular:

Remember this? Friendly reminder that Kirbopher, the animator of this, also did the hugely popular Brawl Taunts trilogy of animations as well. Thing is, could this have inadvertently lead to people suddenly taking an interest in Geno and wanting him in Smash as early as Brawl?
Reminds me of this wow I'm old :(
SWEARING ALERT!!!!

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
The Second Square Rep could be a Sonic case like in Brawl, where the discussion took too long because Square is Square and stingy before agreeing.

But this time instead of pushing the game back they decided to make DLC which would probably and even Maaaaybe helped Square to Agree with a cut to the money.
...The talks would have happened at the beginning of development when the project plan was being made though...

Besides, Sakurai has already talked and negotiated with Square before... I honestly don’t see any merit in this theory, no offense at all.

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
It's kind of shame that discussion on the game has gotten as narrow as it is, especially with over 2.5 months left.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Well there's a few possibilities. The Square Enix rep could be base roster and Verge's sources just don't know for sure yet. The Square Enix rep could just not be ready for launch and that's why it's DLC. Or it won't even be DLC and will be a free update (REALLY unlikely but who knows at this point.)
There’s literally nothing to imply the character is DLC, from Verge’s comments he seems to imply the character is ready so I highly doubt it would be held off for DLC.

Again guys, it’s gonna be hard to convince me otherwise because nothing is going in favor of the argument and it just feels like people are stretching here.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
This is a flawed leak though. The OP doesn't have a triptag to imply it was him. It could have been anyone who posted the second piece of info
Actually, that thread went on for almost 2 hours. One of the main reason why I totally falled for it is because I read this particular post about Dante new weapons. If you notice, he talks about a gauntlet weapon (he basically always have one; an easy guess) and then about a "a "weird" utility weapon like nevan/lucifer that's based on his motorcycle". Note the timestamp there, Fri 20 Jul 2018 21:59:57. Its 1 hour and half after the very first post.

When I read it the first time I thought "whaat?"...but then, almost a month later, the official Dante trailer for DMC V.

By now I'm convinced that the guy had legit DMC V info, and the timestamp of the post about confirming the Dante rumor and the one where he describes the trailer itself seem to confirm he's still the same guy.

But he could have easily, you know, just lied about it.

Potato_

Smash Lord
There’s literally nothing to imply the character is DLC, from Verge’s comments he seems to imply the character is ready so I highly doubt it would be held off for DLC.

Again guys, it’s gonna be hard to convince me otherwise because nothing is going in favor of the argument and it just feels like people are stretching here.
Except for the fact that he's asking his sources about Box theory, which would imply even he himself doesn't know for sure. If he knew about the Square character being ready already then he'd have no reason to ask about the theory because he'd know it's not complete.

blackghost

Smash Champion
this SE rep hasnt been talked about much.

people are going to try and say its geno but i really doubt it. geno is not a capable SE rep. he doesnt makes the long list notable SE characters i think it comes down to sepiroth, Laura, chrono, or another FF character. (maybe protagonist of 9 or 10).

yes there will be salt over the last few characters but thats this community.

the potential bayonetta v dante matches in smash ultimate has me very excited. i think its only fitting since they are in the same world in the games.

dlc lineup i expect: xenoblade character, Botw champion, Heihachi, sepiroth (assuming he isnt in base), shantae, fjorm, and chunli. a mix of third party and nintendo. mostly newer characters designed to draw in a wider audience for smash.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Melee Kingdom 33 mintue version

SWEARING AND Well Teen language from like 08

Funny how things how things of turned out in the past ten years.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It kind of makes sense that speculation would narrow more and more the closer to release.

But this box seems to have narrowed it more than it usually would

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
...The talks would have happened at the beginning of development when the project plan was being made though...

Besides, Sakurai has already talked and negotiated with Square before... I honestly don’t see any merit in this theory, no offense at all.

The talk could have been made when the development started. The same way it could have lasted a while-

Like I said it could have been a Sonic Case, where Sega said no before coming back and saying yes at the end of the development.
But instead of delaying the game like Brawl, they instead made it DLC, Nothing too hard to believe.

But you're right in the case that it's all theory and such, but most of it, is in the case we believe BOTH the box AND Vergeben is right.

The box could be BS and just a mock-up like I genuinely believe it is and will add whatever Characters will be announced like the Square Rep

Or Vergeben's source is BS and there no Square Rep.

OR The Square Rep is a Mewtwo case and is first DLC.

All of this is just speculation in the end, and don't worry. I don't take it personally- I'm just happy of having something to talk about

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
If we're talking about assist trophy promotions as DLC, really there's only one likely candidate. Bomberman.

Now, I know what you're thinking, it should be Walugi because [insert well thought out argument] or it should be Ashley because [well thought out argument] or, any other of the other AT's. However, if we're being rational and logical none of that really matters. Those arguments all boil down to "I just want this character so deal with it." Bomberman has actual, objective, irrefutable reasons why he would be first in line for promotion over the rest:

It'd make me happy :)
Preach it, sister!

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
And no, Mewtwo was not held off for Smash 4, he was developed before Wii U was released, yes, but after 3DS was released, and Wii U went gold anyways before his announcement so he was developed after development on the main game was finished as claimed.
Except for the fact that he's asking his sources about Box theory, which would imply even he himself doesn't know for sure. If he knew about the Square character being ready already then he'd have no reason to ask about the theory because he'd know it's not complete.
Maybe he just wants to check if it’s consistent with his information? And again, DLC isn’t planned or developed until after the game’s release, they’ve stated this multiple times.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
First it was “he said only 103 stages, so that’s final”.
Now it’s “the 108 is a misprint”

What will be next?

Last edited:

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
It's highly unlikely, but if Verge is right about that second SE rep, I'd love an Octopath Traveler. The 8 protagonists would make awesome playable characters, especially with the likes of Olberic, Therion, and Cyrus.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
At this point, my one fear about DLC characters ( I'm sure we won't get any annouced before release) is them missing out a potential story mode if such comes in the base game.

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
BTW, do we know which K. Rool moves go with what input? I'm guessing the gun is neutral B (It's functionality by the way, is really interesting to me) and the jetpack is up, but otherwise?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's highly unlikely, but if Verge is right about that second SE rep, I'd love an Octopath Traveler. The 8 protagonists would make awesome playable characters, especially with the likes of Olberic, Therion, and Cyrus.
I'm opting more for Bravely here, it was doing the too many jobs gimmick before them. :p

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
I'm opting more for Bravely here, it was doing the too many jobs gimmick before them. :p
True, but then we go back to FFIII or V...

EDIT: Got "multiple jobs" confused with "job choice". As a Bravely fan myself, whoops.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Hey

Looks like I'll have flashbacks to this period of speculation each time I successfully taunt after a K.O. with Snake in the near future.

Never thought cardboard would be such an important part of my life.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
And FF5 did the "too many jobs" thing before either of them. Bartz confirmed? at least he's a more interesting character than Cloud
Come on man, it was 22 years, get Bravely a break.

StormC

Smash Hero

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Ehhhh. I mean, c'mon. Ken was practically born to be a Ryu echo. Granted, if it doesn't come at the cost of more proper Capcom newcomers like Phoenix Wright, then I'd be fine with it.
Ken's kinda weird because him echoing Ryu is accurate... But only for like the first two SF games.

They've diverged quite a bit in Alpha, 3 onward.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
BTW, do we know which K. Rool moves go with what input? I'm guessing the gun is neutral B (It's functionality by the way, is really interesting to me) and the jetpack is up, but otherwise?
My best guess is that neutral B is his blunderbuss, side B is crown throw, up B is his heli-pack and down B is counter.

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
My best guess is that neutral B is his blunderbuss, side B is crown throw, up B is his heli-pack and down B is counter.
I forgot about the crown throw, oops.

When the K. Rool vs. Snake footage was released, I found it interesting that the ways you hurt him in the first two DKC games were getting labeled as very strong tech.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Honestly I highly doubt the box art means anything, we still have a couple months left worth of reveals, and packaging like this can be easily acclimated to avoid things such as leaks, take this packaging which doesn’t even have Isabelle:
View attachment 164652
Hell, for all we know these potential new characters may not even be on the packaging at all, they sometimes do that.
Notice how the side is black. With nothing on it.
Now ask yourself. If the other boxart sides did not matter, why did they waste their effort doing it?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ken was a reskin Ryu at one point.

Was.

2 decades ago.

Making him an echo would just be an insult to his complete divergence as a character.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm actually convinced it's Geno because he's afraid a mob is going to attack him if he says the characters name and it turns out the character isn't in the game.

...unfortunately, which Square character could you imagine having a larger backlash than Geno?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom