• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So if the 5 stages are indeed true. What do you guys think they'll be?

Predicting:
-Alola Poke Floats
-Forest Maze/Star Road
-Kirby stage (Since Marx is rumored to be a boss)
-Minecraft stage
-Rhythm Heaven stage

Hoping:
-Bowser's Castle
-Gangplank Galleon

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If there's any truth to amiibo tapping unlocking a fighter, I wonder if amiibo other than the Smash amiibo would unlock them.

Say you're a Daisy fan and you want to unlock her day 1 as soon as you get the game. Could you tap her Super Mario amiibo to the receiver?

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Additionally, vergeben already said that someone gave him a name but he's scared to make it public for fear of backlash if its wrong. There's probably only one character that could cause backlash like that. No other Square character really has the following.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
If there's any truth to amiibo tapping unlocking a fighter, I wonder if amiibo other than the Smash amiibo would unlock them.

Say you're a Daisy fan and you want to unlock her day 1 as soon as you get the game. Could you tap her Super Mario amiibo to the receiver?
According to what we know, yes.

Which is why I could for instance use my Warriors Amiibo of Chrom the same way.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Is there a source on this? I was always curious as to what happened with him.
Vanroose talked about it before.

Apparently he spoke to the guy himself, he wasn’t even sure where the whole “ESRB Guy got fired” story came from as nothing actually happened to the guy, he/she never revealed themselves to the public and are continuing their life as usual.

In fact, the person who actually posted the video wasn’t even the dude that took it, some random kid who eventually got it as the photo passed from one person to another.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

I'd assume so, since the E3 Direct mentioned that any amiibo for a specific character works in Smash.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion

Definitely.

blackghost

Smash Champion
what's wrong with geno?
not interesting to me. even with that being a random enemy from botw it would still interest my from design to moveset. especially since we have very few magic users in smash. some magic users we do have dont use much or any of their magic.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Didn't they say different variants of the Amiibo can be used?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
My predictions for DLC:

Geno:
I heavily believe this is what Vergeben's second Square-Enix character is. Geno might be the only character that Sakurai has said he wanted to see playable that is not playable in Smash Bros.

Dante:
There have been two leaks on 4chan (perhaps the only two that might be legit) that point to him happening.

Banjo-Kazooie:
I think the information about Minecraft content happening is a sign that he is being planned. I feel strongly about this.

Rex & Pyrra:
Sakurai gushed about Xenoblade 2 on social media. The game is still getting significant content a year after its release. One of the obstacles thought to this character that few have talked about is Pyrra's design probably being a no-go for CERO (which is pretty stingy when it comes to risque female designs, as we saw from the removal of the Tharja trophy from Smash 4 3DS).

ARMS character:
This one I am a lot more iffy about than the above four. However, the game has proven to be successful. It will probably be represented by Spring Man with either Ribbon Girl or Springtron as an echo fighter.

The next set I am even more iffy on:

Fire Emblem Three Houses rep:
For every Smash Bros. game starting with Melee, there has been a contemporary lord represented with the game. It might be the same with Ultimate as well. There are four characters to choose from, but none of particularly different from what we have already seen in Smash Bros., or might not be well received by actual Fire Emblem fans when the game comes out. However, that did not stop Corrin.

Pokemon Generation 8 rep:
Incineroar likely taking up one of five fully unique characters slots shows just how much clout the Pokemon Company has when deciding the roster. It would not be a surprise if they demanded dibs on of Ultimate's DLC slots.

Bandanna Dee:
He is probably the most wanted newcomer among the Japanese fanbase, and the character himself has built up an impressive resume over the course of this decade. He would be an incredibly simple character to model.

Rhythm Heaven representative:
This is the last active Nintendo franchise without a playable character in Ultimate. Its very odd to me though that Sakurai did not refurbish his Chorus Kids idea for Ultimate. Maybe the character continued to have technical difficulties on the Switch? Its possible another character is chosen to represent the franchise.

Isaac:
As with Bandanna Dee, Isaac is probably the most wanted newcomer at this point among the Western fanbase. He likely did very well on the ballot. There is a strong rumor going out that a remake of the two GBA games is being made for the 3DS, and I could easily envision Isaac being released alongside this remake. However, it is also possible Isaac gets hit with the Assist Trophy bat once again for Ultimate.

The next set is technically possible, but I cannot see them getting in over most of the above ten:

Dixie Kong:
Probably the most iconic Nintendo character not yet playable in Smash Bros. after Toad. Unfortunately, while she probably did well on the ballot, she probably did much worse than K. Rool. Her fans are very quiet so even though she is among the most wanted newcomers out there, it does not seem like it (it reminds me of Roy). She could be a semi-clone, taking some of Diddy's specials and A-moves, but adding in her own hair attacks in as well. As with Isaac, its possible she ends up in a major NPC role in Ultimate (either as an Assist Trophy or part of Diddy Kong's unseen Final Smash).

Toad (Toad, Toadette, Captain):
Toad and Captain Toad having established roles in Ultimate might make them ruled out. It would be pretty odd for Toadette to make the roster when Toad and Captain Toad could not, however, her doing so could be a backdoor way for Toad to be in as well. Toad is probably the most iconic and well known Nintendo character not yet playable in Smash Bros.

Shadow or Tails:
Its very weird how Shadow did not end up as an echo fighter. Maybe there was a debate on whether Sonic's second character should be either Shadow or Tails? The problem with Tails is that he would need to be more of a semi-clone. With Shadow, he very well could be one of the few echo fighters made that is sold separately. It is going to be very interesting to see whether Shadow reprises his Assist Trophy role or not.

Impa:
Zelda has not received a newcomer since Brawl. Impa is a very realizable echo fighter of Sheik. However, I am not sure the idea of doing so has come to Sakurai or his team. However, I am not sure whether Nintendo plans to sell echo fighters separately (I could see the likes of Ribbon Girl/Springtron and Felix being packaged in with Spring Man and Isaac respectively).

Octoling:
Splatoon 2 is on track to outsell every single installment to the Smash Bros. series in Japan (its currently has sold over 2.5 million copies). The only other major Splatoon character that could fit would be the Octolings whom got a major role in DLC earlier this year, and are fully playable now. They could easily be an echo fighter of the Inklings and be very well received (especially among the Japanese fanbase), or be tweaked into becoming a semi-clone. It depends on whether Sakurai thinks Splatoon needs a second playable character or not, or if he thinks the Octolings are not distinctive enough from the Inklings. As with the above two, they might not happen since it is unknown if echoes will be sold as DLC outside of a newcomer package deal.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
For sure, I can just dream with the Alpha long hair.

It'd be funny if him and Richter both got their long hair alts as like DLC outfits down the line.
Which brings u a good point, will they add alternate costumes for anyone other than mii fighters this time around?

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Which brings u a good point, will they add alternate costumes for anyone other than mii fighters this time around?
I have a theory that the mii outfits were the testing ground for that very idea.

However I have no basing for this besides that it'd be effing awesome if we got costume DLC for everyone.

kylexv

Smash Master
Two things I noticed about Incineroar:
  1. This isn't the first time he's been leaked for something. His design was leaked prior to the release of Pokemon Sun and Moon.
  2. Incineroar is based off of a heel wrestler, which is portrayed as a "bad guy" or antagonist for the "face", or good guy wrestler, to take down, which explains the fact that he is a Dark type and also how the Smash community literally feels the exact same way about him.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

I'm not sure if it's 100% confirmed yet by Nintendo themselves, but I was snooping around the Japanese Amazon site (looking for boxes...) and saw that they have bundles for sale called "Mario Version" "Zelda Version" "Fire Emblem Version" etc and they all come with three amiibo from that series.

If that is a way to unlock them I think it's very interesting to sell bundles like this and I'm surprised America isn't (although we have like what 3 different bundles already?).

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
  1. This isn't the first time he's been leaked for something. His design was leaked prior to the release of Pokemon Sun and Moon.
  2. Incineroar is based off of a heel wrestler, which is portrayed as a "bad guy" or antagonist, which explains the fact that he is a Dark type and also how the Smash community literally feels the exact same way about him.
My main hope for Incineroar is that he has a green alt for John Cena memes, and a darker alt for Stone Cold Steve Austin memes.

It'll remind me of WWE in good ways haha.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Incineroar is based off of a heel wrestler, which is portrayed as a "bad guy" or antagonist for the "face", or good guy wrestler, to take down, which explains the fact that he is a Dark type and also how the Smash community literally feels the exact same way about him.
I suddenly no longer dislike Incineroar. That's pretty cool.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Do not double post. Edit your messages instead. :)
Incineroar is based off of a heel wrestler, which is portrayed as a "bad guy" or antagonist, which explains the fact that he is a Dark type and also how the Smash community literally feels the exact same way about him.
Bad Guy huh?.... Well Then... Put this in his Reveal trailer... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXe37XCnn-E

My main hope for Incineroar is that he has a green alt for John Cena memes, and a darker alt for Stone Cold Steve Austin memes.

Yeah, I have this really weird feeling that Inicneroar will be the memeieset Newcomer.

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
I only have two predictions for DLC
Tails, bundled it's a sonic Mania stage
This isn't just support, I truly think this likely, though not a 100% lock
Echo promotion
Hear me out, I think Sakurai and the team made the Echoes, and then began working on upgrading them to full charecters.
Certain echoes, Richter, Daisy, Lucina, Dark Pit, Chrom and maybe even Dark Samus have the possibility to be unique, Sakurai knows this, and put them in as echoes to sate the fans hunger, and then releases them fully as soon as he is able
This is way less likely than tails, but the possibility is there an I think it will happen

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I only have two predictions for DLC
Tails, bundled it's a sonic Mania stage
This isn't just support, I truly think this likely, though not a 100% lock
Echo promotion
Hear me out, I think Sakurai and the team made the Echoes, and then began working on upgrading them to full charecters.
Certain echoes, Richter, Daisy, Lucina, Dark Pit, Chrom and maybe even Dark Samus have the possibility to be unique, Sakurai knows this, and put them in as echoes to sate the fans hunger, and then releases them fully as soon as he is able
This is way less likely than tails, but the possibility is there an I think it will happen
I don't think they'd make a term and then just scrap it in DLC.

StormC

Smash Hero
I really hope Banjo makes it into the base game because I want him to have a fully CGI trailer and to get all his content in the main game (boss battle, Assist Trophy, etc.). Obviously if he's DLC I'll still be thrilled... but the idea of Banjo-Kazooie being out of the box in Super Smash Bros. has me insanely giddy.

Perhaps Geno and Banjo will squeeze their way into the base game and both be on the back of the boxart as classic forgotten "Nintendo" characters.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
As soon as I get my Smash Ultimate Special Edition, I am gonna grab the game and Pro controller, then light the box on fire to symbolize my hatred for the box art theory.
And you are going to do this even though the theory will be proven true?
And we need a video of it to. Or it never happened.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
This combined with the project plan being finalized in the same month all of the Square content made it into Smash 4 (including the Geno costume) is what makes me have very few, if any doubts about his inclusion, I'm absolutely certain that while they were negotiating for Cloud to make it into Smash 4, they also did the paperwork to get him and Geno into Ultimate. Then there's also Sakurai saying Geno's Mii Costume was a nod to fans of the character and his popularity, which isn't such a bad thing to have publically acknowledged when popularity has been mentioned to be the driving force behind at least four of the newcomers (Ridley, K. Rool, Chrom and Dark Samus).

Sakurai wants it, the fans want it, Square are seemingly willing to let it happen (at least the costume implies as much), the timing of the project plan was incredibly beneficial for him, I just have a really really hard time seeing him not making it.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Additionally, vergeben already said that someone gave him a name but he's scared to make it public for fear of backlash if its wrong. There's probably only one character that could cause backlash like that. No other Square character really has the following.
It can be a FF Characters, like it can be Geno, like it can be a Dragon Quest Characters or Sora.

The issue here is more that if he say the name there will be first
>Salt if it's not someone that people wanted
>Bring attention to that Characters fan
>****storm will enssue.

Then the game is out and we see that Characters isn't in and...
>Fan of said Characters get mad and lash out
>Become a joke in the leak circle when he's already not all gold
>Smash fan will riot.

Taking guesses and talking about third parties in smash is more dangerous than talking about a Nintendo related Characters. As it touch more than the smash community circle.

Remember when he directly said it wasn't Mimikyu for Pokemon? Or commented "who's shantae?"
If he comment on something, it means he's sure of that information and that he can handle the backslash. If not, he go vague about it or don't comment further. Which is why he said nothing about Skull Kid, Isaac or Bandana Dee even when asked.

D

Deleted member

I'll never understand why people believe that ATs can't be promoted to fighters as DLC, but I guess it's another case of the Smash fanbase moving goalposts because "it can only be done inbetween game" even though I clearly remember seeing people believe being an Assist was a death sentence forever and that's why Little Mac would never be playable.
If ATs locked characters out of potential DLC, then might as well have none at all as the whole point of a "consolation prize" gets thrown away.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I really hope Banjo makes it into the base game because I want him to have a fully CGI trailer and to get all his content in the main game (boss battle, Assist Trophy, etc.). Obviously if he's DLC I'll still be thrilled... but the idea of Banjo-Kazooie being out of the box in Super Smash Bros. has me insanely giddy.

Perhaps Geno and Banjo will squeeze their way into the base game and both be on the back of the boxart as classic forgotten "Nintendo" characters.
You'd think that spot would go to Simon

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I kind of just realized both Snake and Isabelle are in the same game and the mental image of Snake putting Isabelle into a chokehold is hilarious for me.
Isabelle killing :ultbayonetta::ultbowser::ultfalcon::ultganondorf::ultkrool::ultdarkpit::ultridley::ultryu::ultdarksamus::ultsnake::ultvillager::ultwolf::ultzss: >
Lara Croft. (she's now Owned by Square...)
The only truly acceptable choice before and after Geno
I highly doubt that will happen.
Then they’ll be forced to do so
Amiibo alt/costumes would be amazing ;)
Closest to such a thing are the Amiibo for :ultbayonetta::ultbowser::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultdk::ultinkling::ultkingdedede::ultkirby::ultlink::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultzelda: (though alts specifically for Smash would be hot)

Or you can get Roman Reigns alts instead...case OOOOOOOH AAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!
9CBD5BED-0CB2-4FB6-A89B-333E1A6BA55C.gif
C5C43EEE-0C9B-48BF-83AA-7599C8F31F0C.gif

2. Incineroar is based off of a heel wrestler, which is portrayed as a "bad guy" or antagonist for the "face", or good guy wrestler, to take down, which explains the fact that he is a Dark type and also how the Smash community literally feels the exact same way about him.
Will be more accurate if he gets a positive reaction (something most heels can’t get much of anymore)
Without a doubt. ESPECIALLY if he's fighter #69.
WWE + #69 = TOP TIER OP FIGHTER

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
. One of the obstacles thought to this character that few have talked about is Pyrra's design probably being a no-go for CERO (which is pretty stingy when it comes to risque female designs, as we saw from the removal of the Tharja trophy from Smash 4 3DS).
Just put Lora and her team from Torna then. I like Rex, but Lora would be far more interesting with a combination of Jin's ice katana, Haze's wind spear and her own fire whip.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
One potential DLC Assist promotion that I think lots of folks are sleeping on is Lyn. She's incredibly popular, but Intelligent Systems themselves didn't realize it until long after Ultimate's roster was decided.
I agree, if there's one character that has a good chance of happening it's Lyn. If Intelligent System, and Sakurai don't think it's too late to add her in as DLC, then by all means Godspeed with her.
This one really got me. Can't lie about that.
I knew there was a reason that I never liked him besides his sucky air game.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'll believe ATs can become playable and an AT at the same time as soon as the precedence is broken or Sakurai reneges on this statement.
fd9.png

Until then, I'm going to look at any talk of ATs being promoted despite already being in the game as desperate straw grasping.

But I dunno, I'd like to be wrong on this one.
It's not like one of Nintendo and IS's most popular females is an AT or anything.

Last edited:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
This combined with the project plan being finalized in the same month all of the Square content made it into Smash 4 (including the Geno costume) is what makes me have no doubts about his inclusion, I'm absolutely certain that while they were negotiating for Cloud to make it into Smash 4, they also did the paperwork to get him and Geno into Ultimate. Then there's also Sakurai saying Geno's Mii Costume was a nod to fans of the character and his popularity, which isn't such a bad thing to have publically acknowledged when popularity has been mentioned to be the driving force behind at least four of the newcomers (Ridley, K. Rool, Chrom and Dark Samus).

Sakurai wants it, fans want it, Square are seemingly willing to let it happen, the timing of everything was spot on, I just have a really really hard time seeing him not making it.
At the same time, out of all Square Enix characters, why is Geno the only SE character to have a Mii Costume outside of FF? Why would'nt be another popular SE character like Lara, Sora, or a Dragon Quest Character? There are so many SE characters that have the possibility to be in a Mii costume yet out of all of them, Geno is the only one. Seems like this is a tease of him entering to Ultimate

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think the funniest thing about Isabelle's reveal trailer was that she got kidnapped by the assist trophy that replaced her at the end of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom