• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
On an unrelated topic, what are some Switch games that everyone loves but you hate?
For me, it's Splatoon 2. I just never liked FPS games on consoles since ever.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Probably less than legal means.

:)
On a side note. They translated the two goemon rpgs. People should atleast try them to learn of his magic.

And akl the super mario rpg players should have met boshi also.
Oh I definitely saw Boshi. He was...there.
He's not like my favorite character or anything, but I don't dislike him. He was just another character to me.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
It's just not clicking with me as to why Geno wouldn't be in the base game.
Like...he's one of the few Sakurai explicitly wanted and have wanted. Was a Ballot frontrunner as implied by Sakurai. Squenix is obviously very willing to cooperate.
So what on Earth happened if the Box is true?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Like...he's one of the few Sakurai explicitly wanted and have wanted. Was a Ballot frontrunner as implied by Sakurai. Squenix is obviously very willing to cooperate.
Let's be clear. I am a huge proponent of Geno.
That being said, just because Sakurai wants something doesn't mean he'll get it, and we don't actually have a clue if Squeenix actually likes the idea.

gloop898

Smash Cadet
A lot of people are like, "Why would they should 5 characters in August and only 2 in the final direct?"
Well, people are forgetting they haven't shown anything about this "Spirits" mode. Assuming that this mode is significantly interesting it's easy to see how that could be the big reveal in that final direct rather than lots of characters. I think the Box Theory is correct. We have 1 more echo (probably Ken) and then one more original fighter.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Let's be clear. I am a huge proponent of Geno.
That being said, just because Sakurai wants something doesn't mean he'll get it, and we don't actually have a clue if Squeenix actually likes the idea.
I mean...I'm not Squenix, I just...can't imagine why they would mind all too much, seeing as they let Nintendo use him past SMRPG before.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
On an unrelated topic, what are some Switch games that everyone loves but you hate?
You make me sad. I can't change your opinion but Splatoons motion controls make it easier and feel better than other console shooters, at least to me. It's also a third person shooter, not first person
I wouldn't say hate, but for me it's Xenoblade 2, just couldn't get into it

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Seriously though, you're definitely not wrong.

Welcome aboard, my dude. Glad to have you here. We have cupcakes. Star cupcakes. That may or may not be made out of wood.
I still haven't played it, but the box art is something.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Ah that's a shame...
Don't worry, I think Boshi is neat.

I mean...I'm not Squenix, I just...can't imagine why they would mind all too much, seeing as they let Nintendo use him past SMRPG before.
Who knows?
We won't know until we get confirmation in some way. They were obviously okay with the Mii costume, but who knows if they're okay with him being a fighter this time around? We really don't know until it happens or doesn't happen.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Yes you do risk that. But that's just a reality of the situation. Nintendo's spoiled stuff in this way before, and they'll continue to do it well into the future. Neither the artwork nor the box can just be resized, product development is much more complicated than that.

And they've also absolutely spoiled Ken, which makes it pretty obvious they don't really care about whether or not this spoils the size of the roster. Otherwise they wouldn't have left a space for Ken.
The artwork can’t be resized? That would be a simple change to the digital mock-up template, wouldn’t it? The product in print wouldn’t be changed, but I don’t know why they couldn’t change the mock up. That’s simple as PowerPoint and seems like the superior marketing strategy overall.

Here’s hoping you can’t back that up. Lol

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Don't worry, I think Boshi is neat.

Who knows?
We won't know until we get confirmation in some way. They were obviously okay with the Mii costume, but who knows if they're okay with him being a fighter this time around? We really don't know until it happens or doesn't happen.
Well yeah, I'm just going off the basis that the Box theory is true (not that I personally think it is).

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I think he will be Marketed Like an Unlockable Character, He will be the last character revealed and he will be revealled before release, but he will not be on any promotional material. This can be done in case of Leaks. Sakurai seems to have been discouraged by The ESRB leaks to have any unlockable characters (which is quite a shame IMO), But he'll probably try to replicate the feel of them in a way...

Last edited:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
A lot of people are like, "Why would they should 5 characters in August and only 2 in the final direct?"
Well, people are forgetting they haven't shown anything about this "Spirits" mode. Assuming that this mode is significantly interesting it's easy to see how that could be the big reveal in that final direct rather than lots of characters. I think the Box Theory is correct. We have 1 more echo (probably Ken) and then one more original fighter.
All i'm hoping for is for Geno making it in, even more so than Shantae.
But i'm scared that Incineroar ends up being the last reveal for the base roster, he has become so predictable that having him in would be like "ah ok" rather than "wow i'm so excited!"

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Sorry I couldn't learn to love him.
Forgive me, Zinith!
I guess Boshi would stand out more if you are acquainted with the Yoshi species portrayed in other games to the level I am. Yoshis are almost always depicted as kind, caring and helpful, so when you see one acting the opposite it stands out more...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't buy the box theory as ironclad. It's a digitally-made thing to help advertise. Just like how the site has 72, that number can change. It's not a final physical box. It doesn't even have everyone on it yet.

It could help us determine that there are 2 more, but it's definitely not that clear either. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if we get 3 or more characters. We need better evidence than a digital drawing, really.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Well yeah, I'm just going off the basis that the Box theory is true (not that I personally think it is).
I think it's likely, but I'm intentionally setting it aside because sticking to my guns is more interesting me. Keep speculating about what you want. Worst that could happen is that we get the incredible roster we already know about. Best that could happen is that you blow a popular theory out of the water. Reach for the stars. (Cause that's where Geno is, of course)
("But Toaster, being wrong on purpose is no fun!" - Everyone ever, to which I say: I don't care if I'm wrong or not, and suddenly stopping speculation in its tracks cause a theory popped up is no fun to me.)

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Theres like nothing to do in that game... Its kind of boring. lol

gloop898

Smash Cadet
All i'm hoping for is for Geno making it in, even more so than Shantae.
But i'm scared that Incineroar ends up being the last reveal for the base roster, he has become so predictable that having him in would be like "ah ok" rather than "wow i'm so excited!"
Honestly I think any Pokemon would be disappointing to me, I'm not really a fan of pokemon. So unless this new mode ends up being an actual Subspace 2 I think a Pokemon as the final reveal will disappoint me.

I'm expecting to be disappointed.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
The box theory is anything but gospel. There could be three fighters left. There could be one fighter left. Maybe ten. Maybe none at all. Let's wait a bit before putting our trust into a piece of cardboard.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Theres like nothing to do in that game... Its kind of boring. lol
Really? Splatoon 2 is the Switch game I come back to the most. There's always something to do.
To each their own.
My girlfriend loves Splatoon 2. I also love Splatoon 2, but in a different way. I'm kinda garbage at the core part of the game, but I really love it as an IP. It's interesting, the music is great, and I love the aesthetic. I love the lore. I love everything except my stupid ****ing ****ty team AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So what's the topic today: the boxers and who the final base characters are?

At this point, it wouldn't surprise me if it's Ken, Incineroar, and Geno. At least we'll be able to get PLENTY of characters for DLC

But Skull Kid, Isaac, Shadow, etc not being in scares me of the possibility of them hitting the Assist Trophies again

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
To each their own.
My girlfriend loves Splatoon 2. I also love Splatoon 2, but in a different way. I'm kinda garbage at the core part of the game, but I really love it as an IP. It's interesting, the music is great, and I love the aesthetic. I love the lore. I love everything except my stupid ****ing ****ty team AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
When I die, I want my Splatoon 2 teammates to bury me so they can let me down one last time.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
There is definitely more than just two characters..

Yeah Incineroar and Geno.

I guess Ken too as a echo, but I better see like Medusa or Hilda announced too or I'll get Kolin to beat him up.

Would love to see Isaac there too...

Mona would be cool too..

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
The artwork can’t be resized? That would be a simple change to the digital mock-up template, wouldn’t it? The product in print wouldn’t be changed, but I don’t know why they couldn’t change the mock up. That’s simple as PowerPoint and seems like the superior marketing strategy overall.

Here’s hoping you can’t back that up. Lol
In any sort of production business, efficiency is king. They could change the mockup if they wanted to, but they didn't. They just hid the boxes that weren't relevant. Which, again, is proven by the space for Ken being included in the design. It's just the easiest way to go about doing it, regardless of potential spoilers. Launching a game like this is a huge effort involving every aspect of the company, little things like this slip through sometimes.

I think that's the main point that a lot of people aren't getting. Any argument against the box theory that I've seen are all easily refuted by the fact that a spot for Ken was included on the box.

Yes, they could just resize the boxes. But they didn't. They included a spot for everybody and put everybody in their spot, then just hid the characters that hadn't been revealed.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
The box theory is anything but gospel. There could be three fighters left. There could be one fighter left. Maybe ten. Maybe none at all. Let's wait a bit before putting our trust into a piece of cardboard.
I'm telling you, there are 62 more echos. One for every currently existing character.
Make it happen, Samurai

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
So what online modes would you like to see in ultimate, or what do you want to see with online play in general?
Less lag. Preferably a For Glory mode except with Battlefield Stages instead of FD.
Hold the phone, when did Sakurai imply that Geno was highly requested on the ballot?
Mario Aces Tennis.

Maybe "hate" is too strong a word. I'm just not a Tennis guy really. The sets in the game take forever, too. :glare:

Just give me Mario Strikers Switch and take my money. Heck, Baseball and Golf would excite me more.

gloop898

Smash Cadet
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...l_edition_box_seems_to_include_every/e5zyqxs/

Still elieve the box theory

We already forgot the past

We thought there was only 66 near the beginning since one more open after Ridley
This actually has a decent amount of evidence against the box theory, but I'm still not so sure.
I wouldn't be surprised if we got more than what the box suggests, but I'm honestly thinking the box might be it.
Why have empty spots on it if it was going to be changed anyway?

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
In any sort of production business, efficiency is king. They could change the mockup if they wanted to, but they didn't. They just hid the boxes that weren't relevant. Which, again, is proven by the space for Ken being included in the design. It's just the easiest way to go about doing it, regardless of potential spoilers. Launching a game like this is a huge effort involving every aspect of the company, little things like this slip through sometimes.

I think that's the main point that a lot of people aren't getting. Any argument against the box theory that I've seen are all easily refuted by the fact that a spot of Ken was included on the box.

Yes, they could just resize the boxes. But they didn't. They included a spot for everybody and put everybody in their spot, then just hid the characters that hadn't been revealed.
They put everybody in their spot so far. Ken being likely from it probably has to do with the fact they need to represent a product as accurately as they are allowed to do.

Also, that means that this boxart will never include Isabelle, gen 7 pokemon or Ken.

F524F623-0DB9-406D-AD42-CF838F3F9585.jpeg

They would probably just change the mock-up when it’s allowed.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm 99% positive that it wasn't someone from Nintendo. The Smash website and timing up blog updates hasn't really been handled in the best ways, so it's really just the interns that get passed the information.
Let's say your thoughts on that circumstance are true. Even though there is no fact or evidence to suport it.

Why couldnt an intern be responsible for the box as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom