• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
I'm at 3 or 4 unique left. Also, I must say, dont like the box theory, it implies that Nintendo, who have been super secretive on Smash, have leaked the last number of newcomers and heavily implied whi one of them is.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
A user shared a Google sheet with every revealed aspect of the game (character, stage, item etc) and what had and hadn't been revealed. About 10 assist trophies haven't been shown on the blog yet, 5 or so Pokemon, and close to 10 items. And on average we only get one of those a week.

Now personally I think we will get a single character reveal in October. But I think next month is still too early for a Smash Direct (hoping I'm wrong!).
can you link us to the image?

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Who was the one who claimed Isaac and Incineroar were going to be revealed at that Direct?! Hes gonna get these hands!!

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
That box theory is very very sound and I don’t think it’s likely to be wrong. The fact that they shuffled the characters in the way they did definitely points to Ken. And Incineroar is pretty much a given. So, I’m thinking that Verg’s other SE rep is either:

Secret Character that’s not in the box (have to ignore or either interpret Sakurai’s words in another way)

or

DLC

I’ll be glad if I’m wrong, but I’m now pretty convinced we’ll be only getting these two as reveals next and, honestly? I’m super fine with that. Sakurai did indeed say to no expect a lot of newcomers and we got a lot more than Inwould’ve ever thought, the roster is also ridiculous. I’m happy and made my peace with it.
People who create these boxes 100% do not have the full character information, especially since they are likely part of NoA advertising/product placement.

What IS more likely is that they had information on Ken, Isabelle and Character 69, but left out all 3 since they weren't revealed before the box was made. HOWEVER this doesn't mean there aren't more characters, especially if shown in a later direct.

Basically this is how I interpret it. Ken and Character 69 will be revealed before the final smash direct, maybe at TGS, maybe during some other info drop, but the final direct could have the characters that Sakurai will reveal in the end to prevent leaks (aka, the secret characters that would have otherwise been hidden in the game like every other entry). This means they likely wouldn't be on the box, even if Sakurai reveals them.

Just ask yourself this: An August direct reveals 5 characters. The final direct is only going to reveal 2? People throw arguments out that smash promotion gives you the more hype characters first, but that is entirely subjective to the person. Plus, there WERE secret characters in the previous games which had some pretty out there reveals until they were leaked. Smash Ultimate lacks secret characters, but it doesn't mean the final characters weren't originally treated as "secret".

Tl;dr: Sakurai is revealing every character this time, there are no secret characters but will likely still be treated as secret or unadvertised on packaging due to timing of when he reveals them, especially to prevent leaks because packaging is made many weeks before.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
That box theory is very very sound and I don’t think it’s likely to be wrong. The fact that they shuffled the characters in the way they did definitely points to Ken. And Incineroar is pretty much a given. So, I’m thinking that Verg’s other SE rep is either:

Secret Character that’s not in the box (have to ignore or either interpret Sakurai’s words in another way)

or

DLC

I’ll be glad if I’m wrong, but I’m now pretty convinced we’ll be only getting these two as reveals next and, honestly? I’m super fine with that. Sakurai did indeed say to no expect a lot of newcomers and we got a lot more than Inwould’ve ever thought, the roster is also ridiculous. I’m happy and made my peace with it.

EDIT: Though, I’m gonna be a madman’s here and suggest that MAYBE the SE rep is on the base game and Incineroar is either the secret or DLC. WHO KNOWS, but it’s possible
This is something I have been pondering and looking back on. Sakurai stated in the Smash Diret of 8.8.2018 and I quote "This time, we plan to reveal the design of every fighter before the game launches. We'll have a few more to announce later so stay tuned."
I am not sure what to make of this, but perhaps some fighters could be a 'secret' without being shown on the box. The DESIGN would be shown, making Sakurai's words true.

(Seems like straw grasping, but all things we talk about is straw grasping to an extent)

EDIT: Slight :ultgreninja:'ed

Last edited:

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
i hope for a serious ranked mode so i can actually get some proper feedback on how my ranking is going rather than it feeling like just a final destination no items fox only queue. Also I want ranked to support singles, doubles and 3 stock squad strike.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
People who create these boxes 100% do not have the full character information, especially since they are likely part of NoA advertising/product placement.
Except that they most likely do, given that they're making a product which is supposed to include the full roster on it. At the very least they would know the final number of characters and where they should place said characters on the box.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm at 3 or 4 unique left. Also, I must say, dont like the box theory, it implies that Nintendo, who have been super secretive on Smash, have leaked the last number of newcomers and heavily implied whi one of them is.
Nintendo accidentally leaked simon... Sorta.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Tl;dr: Sakurai is revealing every character this time, there are no secret characters but will likely still be treated as secret or unadvertised on packaging due to timing of when he reveals them, especially to prevent leaks because packaging is made many weeks before.
I am there with you! I feel the design of every character will be known, but not necessarily advertised on a box, pamphlet or game case.
I will believe in a little bit more fighters.

D

Deleted member

Nintendo accidentally leaked simon... Sorta.
I'm 99% positive that it wasn't someone from Nintendo. The Smash website and timing up blog updates hasn't really been handled in the best ways, so it's really just the interns that get passed the information.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Except that they most likely do, given that they're making a product which is supposed to include the full roster on it. At the very least they would know the final number of characters and where they should place said characters on the box.
Except if you do, and you leave empty spaces in that way you risk spoiling the amount of newcomers left.

Since this comes out an entire month before the game does it's entirely possible that the box just doesn't have every character on it, only the ones that have been announced up to that point. Not to mention that the box can literally be resized. Or the art adjusted and resized as well.

There's a lot of iffy stuff for box theory, but I will concede that it makes Ken's inclusion almost a given.

EDIT: It's the switch bundle that comes out early, not the controller bundle.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
IMO a GREAT way to spice week updates on the blog would bea weekly 1v1 fight footage from characters weve seen very little (similar to the K.rool vs snake one) and a 4 players free for all video (because nintendo wants to promote those.
add one xtra track per week (2 tracks per week) and we have plenty of stuff to look at in the meantime

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Except if you do, and you leave empty spaces in that way you risk spoiling the amount of newcomers left.

Since this comes out an entire month before the game does it's entirely possible that the box just doesn't have every character on it, only the ones that have been announced up to that point. Not to mention that the box can literally be resized. Or the art adjusted and resized as well.

There's a lot of iffy stuff for box theory, but I will concede that it makes Ken's inclusion almost a given.
That’s the console bundle. The controller bundle includes the game.

They made a mock up and it’s best to make a mock up that most accurately represents the product people are buying with what information they are allowed.

Iridium

Smash Hero
IMO a GREAT way to spice week updates on the blog would bea weekly 1v1 fight footage from characters weve seen very little (similar to the K.rool vs snake one) and a 4 players free for all video (because nintendo wants to promote those.
add one xtra track per week (2 tracks per week) and we have plenty of stuff to look at in the meantime
Literally all I want. Something to keep me occupied.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Have started playing Golden Sun, Super Mario RPG, and Crash N Sane trilogy.

I'm for sure all for Isaac, Geno, and Crash now.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Pleaaaaseee!!! I would be so content with that.

Potato_

Smash Lord
That’s the console bundle. The controller bundle includes the game.

They made a mock up and it’s best to make a mock up that most accurately represents the product people are buying with what information they are allowed.
****, you're right, disregard that part then.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Have started playing Golden Sun, Super Mario RPG, and Crash N Sane trilogy.

I'm for sure all for Isaac, Geno, and Crash now.
Where'd you get your hands on Golden Sun? Is it on the virtual console or something?
I'd like to play it, but I don't have a gba.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
IMO in order to keep things exciting, they shouldn't have released all of the short character videos right off the bat.
If they released them one at a time as blog updates, we'd get a tiny bit of new footage every few days. It'd give people new things to hunt for in each new video too.

Releasing like 65 short character videos in one day was a bad move I think.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Where'd you get your hands on Golden Sun? Is it on the virtual console or something?
I'd like to play it, but I don't have a gba.
Probably less than legal means.

:)
On a side note. They translated the two goemon rpgs. People should atleast try them to learn of his magic.

And akl the super mario rpg players should have met boshi also.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace

EDIT: It's the switch bundle that comes out early, not the controller bundle.
Yes you do risk that. But that's just a reality of the situation. Nintendo's spoiled stuff in this way before, and they'll continue to do it well into the future. Neither the artwork nor the box can just be resized, product development is much more complicated than that.

And they've also absolutely spoiled Ken, which makes it pretty obvious they don't really care about whether or not this spoils the size of the roster. Otherwise they wouldn't have left a space for Ken. Because they've already spoiled Ken, any argument that they "wouldn't spoil it like that" is immediately worthless, as it's already been proven wrong by Nintendo themselves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom