• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Less lag. Preferably a For Glory mode except with Battlefield Stages instead of FD.

Hold the phone, when did Sakurai imply that Geno was highly requested on the ballot?

Mario Aces Tennis.

Maybe "hate" is too strong a word. I'm just not a Tennis guy really. The sets in the game take forever, too. :glare:

Just give me Mario Strikers Switch and take my money. Heck, Baseball and Golf would excite me more.
I looked it up to source you and it seems I committed my own worst enemy-claiming things that aren't true without a source. My total apologies. However, my other points do stand. That one I don't think is true, though.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Really? Splatoon 2 is the Switch game I come back to the most. There's always something to do.
To each their own.
My girlfriend loves Splatoon 2. I also love Splatoon 2, but in a different way. I'm kinda garbage at the core part of the game, but I really love it as an IP. It's interesting, the music is great, and I love the aesthetic. I love the lore. I love everything except my stupid ****ing ****ty team AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I feel like Splatoon might become the next Call of Duty since Nintendo is gonna stop supporting the game on July 2019, maybe because they're planning on releasing Splatoon 3?

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Oversights and mistakes can and do happen.
Can't really say for sure.
I feel dumb saying this but I think it's a valid point.
This is Smash Bros we're talking about.
Yeah, FE Warriors had that slip-up like a few days before its release. But that's Warriors. A small crossover spin-off.

Smash Bros is a console seller.

I dunno. I just feel they wouldn't mess up THIS hard with Ultimate.
I'm sure I could be wrong.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I definitely believe Incineroar is the Pokemon newcomer this time around, but if it so happened that we don't get a Pokemon newcomer, period, I'll be utterly flabbergasted.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
The only thing I find weird is if the box theory is true, why did Sakurai give us the concept of Echos if we are only getting 7?
(Lucina, Dark Pit, Daisy, Richter? Chrom, Dark Samus and supposedly Ken)

Just something to think about.

EDIT: Forgot Richter because who is echoing who!?

Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
It's just not clicking with me as to why Geno wouldn't be in the base game.
Like...he's one of the few Sakurai explicitly wanted and have wanted. Was a Ballot frontrunner as implied by Sakurai. Squenix is obviously very willing to cooperate.
So what on Earth happened if the Box is true?
It could've literally just come down to Square Enix literally saying no to Sakurai.
It's a side character they haven't utilized or acknowledged in well over a decade, so I could understand if Square Enix just outright rejected it.
Also, while I'm sure Geno was probably a decently voted character, you have to remember that the ballot was worldwide and open to everyone.
Some places, like Europe, haven't ever gotten the chance to play SMRPG after it underperforming sales wise according to Nintendo. So couple that with the fact he's a relatively obscure character and isn't relevant today, and that the speculation community isn't representative of the actual worldwide results or popularity of characters.
So it's possible just other characters pulled out in front of him and/or the fact that Square Enix just wouldn't agree or able to negotiate a favorable deal.
I honestly don't see it out of the realm of possibility.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
All I'm saying is I seriously doubt they "accidentally" revealed the Boxart. The fact that the official image exists with character slots missing shows they fully intended to show it the way it is.

They didn't screw up. This was deliberate. Whether or not those last two slots are the two last characters or not remains to be seen. Like I've said before: I don't care either way. Acting like they didn't mean to show the Boxart the way it is......is reaching reaaaaally hard.

EDIT: Oh god, I'm falling into the box argument too...****.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
How about we just forget about the box theory and if it’s legit, great. If not, even better.

No point fighting about this **** still

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I definitely believe Incineroar is the Pokemon newcomer this time around, but if it so happened that we don't get a Pokemon newcomer, period, I'll be utterly flabbergasted.
Same. Pokemon has had a new character introduced in every single Smash game so far. It's the only franchise to do so. Sometimes i think it might be Mandatory By the Pokemon Company or something like that...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Y'know, there's another possibility to the boxart thing that I haven't seen many people bring up.

The next two characters are being revealed fairly soon. Anyone else after them are just left off the boxart entirely in order to avoid leaks.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
How about we just forget about the box theory and if it’s legit, great. If not, even better.

No point fighting about this **** still
It's why I suggested we make a group PM to keep talking about non-box things at least as a thought experiment but nah I was ignored

People like to talk about boxes I guess.
Box.
Boxing.
...King Hippo confirmed.

Last edited:

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
It's why I suggested we make a group PM to keep talking about non-box things at least as a thought experiment but nah I was ignored

People like to talk about boxes I guess.
Box.
Boxing.
...King Hippo confirmed.
Oh I didn't ignore the PM group, I just have no schedule and couldn't have been able to participate however much I wanted to

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I've already said this before. If it WAS an oversight, it would've been corrected by now...
Historically not necessarily true.
Correcting an oversight may be seen as confirmation. While leaving it as is, leaves it more open to speculation.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
So why is everyone assuming Incineroar and Ken are the only two reps left? Assuming box theory is true. Cuz those two seem to come from Vergeben, but he says that we're also getting a 2nd Square Rep. So box theory can't really line up with that, right?

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Y'know, there's another possibility to the boxart thing that I haven't seen many people bring up.

The next two characters are being revealed fairly soon. Anyone else after them are just left off the boxart entirely in order to avoid leaks.
If I were a bettin' man this is what I'd go with to be honest. As another said earlier: we have 3 months left. The first direct revealed like 5 characters. The odds of only having two left at this point is pretty low.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

That makes lots of sense imo. So does that mean, we'll probably learn about Ken and Incineroar in October?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Whipped up a Rex/Pyra/Mythra team moveset based on XC2's switching mechanic.

Design Concept: Vanguard and Rear Guard. Rex can switch between his blades, and his blades can even take control of the combat using the Aegis Sword. You play as the Vanguard, and are supported by the Rear Guard. By default, the Vanguard is Rex and Pyra is the Rear Guard. When playing as Rex, switch between Pyra and Mythra using Shield + B (like Inkling's Ink refill). Or switch between Vanguard and Rear Guard using Down Special.

Rex:
Neutral Special: Sword Bash - Rex charges ala Little Mac's Straight Lunge before dashing forward sword pointed first.
Side Special: Double Spinning Edge - Rex spins his sword in front of him. Pressing the command again will cause a second swing to be performed without any ending lag after the first.
Up Special: Anchor Shot - A tether recovery using the anchor gun.
Down Special: Vanguard Switch -> Rolling Smash - If Rex becomes the Vanguard, he will perform the attack immediately after switching, which is a dropping sword attack in front of him.
Shield Special: Blade Change - Switch between Pyra and Mythra, who follow you on the battlefield.

Passive: When the Rear Guard, Rex provides a passive buff of increased attack and jump height as long as he is close to the Vanguard. With Rex, damage output is consistent with the sword. The rest of the moveset consists of punches and sword attacks ala Shulk.

Pyra:
Neutral Special: Flame Nova - A quick attack with a small AoE flame ring, wide but not tall.
Side Special: Blazing End - The Aegis sword turns on fire and does two full spins in front of her. Think Palutena's F Tilt, but bigger and more damaging.
Up Special: Prominence Revolt - A flame pillar appears underneath Pyra so she can recover.
Down Special: Vanguard Switch -> Burning Sword - When Pyra becomes the Vanguard, she'll drop a small meteor in front of her.

Passive: When the Rear Guard, Rex provides passive buffs of increased shield damage and reducing damage to your shield. With Pyra, damage output is stronger the closer to the hilt you get (referencing to Pyra not being as adept at fighting when compared to Mythra). She attacks with the sword, punches, kicks, acrobatics, fire balls, fire walls and fire pillars.

Mythra:
Neutral Special: Ray of Punishment - a quick laser-like attack, like Shooting Star Bit
Side Special: Lightning Buster - Similar to Dancing Blade, only one attack pattern is possible. The attack is quicker to make up for it.
Up Special: Photon Edge - Pyra makes a quick dash in a direction, disappears, and reappears with a sword slash.
Down Special: Vanguard Switch -> Sacred Arrow. When Mythra becomes the Vanguard, she'll fire a small barrage of light arrows in front of her.

Passive: As the Rear Guard, Mythra provides a passive speed buff and air speed buff. Her sword is strongest at the tip, and she attacks with the sword, punches, kicks, acrobatics and light arrows.

Final Smash: Siren. The blade calls upon Siren, who appears in the background and fires a barrage of lasers akin to PK Starstorm. The blade also changes form to their spoiler version and Rex puts on his spoiler equipment for the duration of the move.

Rex' costumes are based on himself, Nia, Vandham, Zeke, Tora, the other spoiler party member, Jin and Malos.

Pyra's costumes reference herself, Mythra, Brighid, Poppi, PoppiQT, Disguised Pyra, Pandoria and her secret form.

Mythra's costumes reference herself, Pyra, PoppiQTpi, Chapter 7 spoiler blade, Malos, LKOS-MOS, T-elos and her secret form.

Untouch

Smash Master
Honestly when K Rool was revealed I was fine with the roster so I don't really care.
The two characters left that I want in both have a tiny chance (Doomguy and DQ Slime) so whatever, maybe for DLC.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Oh I didn't ignore the PM group, I just have no schedule and couldn't have been able to participate however much I wanted to
I don't actually mind at all, you don't have to explain yourself, but thank you for your consideration anyway.

AugustusB

Smash Champion

I tried to bring that up, but I think I said it poorly.
Characters could be revealed and put on the box, then a few more characters could be revealed before ESRB leaks.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Alright guys, it’s time to talk about the important characters.

Poochy or Polterpup?

Both from Mario spinoffs. Both adorable. Both canines.

Poochy got name billing on the 3ds port of wooly world.

But Polterpup is an adorable ghost dog.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So why is everyone assuming Incineroar and Ken are the only two reps left? Assuming box theory is true. Cuz those two seem to come from Vergeben, but he says that we're also getting a 2nd Square Rep. So box theory can't really line up with that, right?
We also haven't seen the other side either. Whose to say it isn't the same? ;)

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Poochy or Polterpup?

Poochy would actually be an awesome second rep for Yoshi.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
There are definitely more characters than just a mere Pokemon and Kolin's punching bag..

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Poochy or Polterpup?

Between those two, I think it's quite obvious whom I'd pick :yoshi:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

Poochy or Polterpup?

Poochy. I can never forgive Polterpup for dragging out Luigi's Mansion 2 even more by continuing to steal my stuff and forcing me to go on filler missions

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
The only thing I find weird is if the box theory is true, why did Sakurai give us the concept of Echos if we are only getting 7?

Only 7?...that's a good amount of echoes.

I think people over exaggerate this box is spoiling the roster. We literally don't know the remaining characters. It hasn't told us that much (especially if there are more on the back which, if that helps you sleep at night, could be a possibility).

If anyone spoiled the roster it's Vergeben, who may or may not be even compatible with the box theory. #Nevergiveup #Decidueye

Chrono.

Because DLC is likely being thought about and echo fighter DLC for the likes of Shadow are something people would pony up cash for.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
All I'm saying is when it comes to the box theory is this:
1536970687229.jpg
I remember a lot of paranoia and hysteria over the fact that some characters weren't shown on the back of here.
Hell, I remember people trying to use this as "evidence" against the ESRB leak.

It's just the biggest problem I have with the box theory, is that it's literally an unfinished mock-up. Couple this with Sakurai's statements about how nobody knew about the veterans or newcomers and the fact that it doesn't line up with Verge's claims at all.
If I'm correct, the game hasn't even gone gold yet, so that makes it even less likely the promotional team would even know the full details of the roster.
Especially given how the hype cycle is going so far.
But anyway, I talked about this to death.
I'm just done with the box theory being thrown around like proven fact.

Potato_

Smash Lord
View attachment 164524
View attachment 164525Ah, clearly there is at least 10 more new characters left.

It's also subjective though. It's a number that Sakurai sees as few. We don't know how many characters he deems as "few".

I honestly don't think there's much more you can take from that other than what's it says at face value. Sakurai could see 2 characters as a few. Sakurai could see 5 or 6 characters as a few. We don't know, so there's no real point in over-analyzing it.

god it doesn't even sound like a real word anymore

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Only 7?...that's a good amount of echoes.

I think people over exaggerate this box is spoiling the roster. We literally don't know the remaining characters. It hasn't told us that much (especially if there are more on the back which, if that helps you sleep at night, could be a possibility).

If anyone spoiled the roster it's Vergeben, who may or may not be even compatible with the box theory. #Nevergiveup #Decidueye
Lol I know. I forgot Richter and then thought 7 is good lol.
But I agree, the box theory is gonna be torn before we even get to hold it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom