• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Wow. Yesterday, nearly everyone though the box theory was absolutely true. But now, it seems that people are finding flaws in it today now. Talk about a roller coaster of speculation.
Who would win?

Being patient and giving the developers the appreciation they need

or

Analyzing the **** out of a box that's made for promotional material

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Still gotta manufacture the product ahead of time and ship it out to retailers overseas. Even if we know who the final characters are by then, that doesn't mean people wouldn't be able to leak the boxart a lot earlier than Nintendo wanted.

Might be easier for them to just leave out a few characters than to risk leaking something in a way that was so easy to avoid.
I could see this depending on when that final direct is...the good news is we should now in about a month (I mean we will also know the full roster in less than three months). If they reveal any newcomer in a non smash direct in October then boom there's no way we aren't getting a reveal in the final smash direct (which has to happen to reveal Spirits). However if we hear nothing and then they announce a smash direct....well I'm not so sure about it then.

Tldr: I'm sticking with box for now, but if we get a newcomer reveal before the annoucnement of the next Smash direct I could absolutely see what you're saying.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
So, what's the general consensus of the box theory now? Have we moved on?
Still on the fence. Basically the same as when you left. It would help if those who didn't wanna talk about it would stop saying "I don't wanna talk about the Box theory. Why are we still talking about the Box theory? The Box theory is dumb because X." as if they somehow aren't contributing to keeping the box discussion going.

/rant

EDIT: You didn't see anything about Minecraft in this post. :urg:

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I don't buy the box theory as ironclad. It's a digitally-made thing to help advertise. Just like how the site has 72, that number can change. It's not a final physical box. It doesn't even have everyone on it yet.

It could help us determine that there are 2 more, but it's definitely not that clear either. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if we get 3 or more characters. We need better evidence than a digital drawing, really.
Its design may change slightly as more characters are announced. I think the concept will remain the same but to say it definitively proves the number of characters left is silly.
Smash 4 announced Robin in July and Shulk in late August. The game launched in Sept in Japan. I think its a bit silly to think there is only one more character. 2 is probably whats left.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Basically this is how I interpret it. Ken and Character 69 will be revealed before the final smash direct, maybe at TGS, maybe during some other info drop, but the final direct could have the characters that Sakurai will reveal in the end to prevent leaks (aka, the secret characters that would have otherwise been hidden in the game like every other entry). This means they likely wouldn't be on the box, even if Sakurai reveals them.
Anywhere that’s a direct or a planned trailer release will be the only ways

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Minecraft is fine. Steve is easily the most lame character ever speculated about for Smash.
At most Minecraft should be either a stage or assist trophy in the form of Steve or both. Steve has no place in being in the roster. Up there in ridiculous choices with Dante, Master Chief, Scorpion and Goku (Why the hell do people even request him to begin with!?).

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
So, what's the general consensus of the box theory now? Have we moved on?
Everyone has kinda formed their own opinion on it.

It's probably best to move on and see what happens because we can't definitely prove it as legit or not until we get more reveals, which won't happen for (probably) a month.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Wow. Yesterday, nearly everyone though the box theory was absolutely true. But now, it seems that people are finding flaws in it today now. Talk about a roller coaster of speculation.
So, are you saying that people have started to think outside the box?

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Y'know, there's another possibility to the boxart thing that I haven't seen many people bring up.

The next two characters are being revealed fairly soon. Anyone else after them are just left off the boxart entirely in order to avoid leaks.
I think someone from GameXplain brought it up, when they discussed it, and it got me thinking.

What if the box may not show the final roster, but who will be revealed next, how many will be revealed, and how soon they will be shown.

Most of the people in the video don’t buy the theory, however they proposed the idea that it was possible that the graphics team only knew who character 68/69 and potentially Ken were in the game and decided to also include them in the box art, which might explain the order in which they were put on the box. However, since they weren’t revealed yet, they ended up removing them from the box art. They said that it may be possible that since they could’ve only really known that Character 69 and Ken were in the game because they were planned to be revealed soon.

I guess it works, on one hand they might indicate that 1 newcomer and 1 echo are being revealed soon since it’s usually on a need to know basis, while on the other hand it also doesn’t indicate them as the final newcomers because they were only given the two other characters that were planned to be shown soon and not beyond that. This also helps with Vergeben’s claims since now all three of the characters he’s leaked so far (Ken, Gen 7 Pokémon, and 2nd SE Character) can fall into this as well.

I think we learned our next newcomer(s) reveal, and that it may come soon. It may be a matter of who will it be.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
People assume that Square's next rep would be Geno.

...but let's be real, would anyone be mad if there was a Dragon Quest character or even Neku from The World Ends with You?
Truthfully, over Geno?
Yeah. And I have no good reason to feel that way besides my own personal Geno bias. But yeah, I wouldn't like that very much.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
AT most Minecraft should be either a stage or assist trophy in the form of Steve or both.
*Sighs* I didn't mean for that to go through. I was gonna say that earlier then decided to hold my tongue. Unfortunately, this site likes to save stuff even though I had deleted it 5 times before the most recent message. :glare:

I agree though. I just think the character is.......not a character.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand why it has to be a pokemon if we just had one unique left. Getting one wouldn't be surprising but it's entirely possible that one just wasn't added this game

ErenJager

Smash Champion

...but let's be real, would anyone be mad if there was a Dragon Quest character or even Neku from The World Ends with You?
Dragon Quest does fall into line with a trend occurring with third parties. If you ignore Sega. Every other third party has had its series on the nes/ arcade era.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I would still say Lara Croft should be the chosen SE rep. She has a huge history in gaming alone as the most iconic female video game protagonist.

Chrono.

I always thought it'd be Dragon Quest... But now I'm not so sure.

I never knew how much of a rights disaster that franchise could be. Frostwraith Frostwraith went over it earlier today.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Speaking of TGS is anyone expecting anything to come out of that? I mean it's a big deal Nintendo is there for the first time in like what, 10 years?

Personally I can't see what Nintendo has to reveal after the direct they just had, let alone more Smash information.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I always thought it'd be Dragon Quest... But now I'm not so sure.

I never knew how much of a rights disaster that franchise could be. Frostwraith Frostwraith went over it earlier today.
Dragon Quest constantly crosses over with other series. Including Nintendo ones.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
So they need to represent the final product as accurately as possible, except when they don't and can resize things as much as they want whenever they want to? Seems like a major contradiction.

Does Nintendo care about spoiling things or not? Cause Ken being included on the box indicates the latter. They wouldn't just not care in that one specific case, but then require the mockup team to completely redesign the box as to not spoil anything else besides that one specific fighter.

The image on that box art is a completely separate deal from the box art that has been used throughout the reveal process to build hype. It's an entirely different case and has been designed from the beginning to be altered as the game nears release. This is not the case for this new box art.
They need to represent it as accurately as possible and the fact there is another echo is the only reason anything is given away at all. And they clearly tried to hide it from the majority. Most people aren’t going to pay attention to the number groups.
The only reason they would care about Ken specifically is if they follow Vergeben. There’s at least 3 other possible echoes in that section if we ignore Vergeben.

Either what you say is true and efficiency is king or they will change mock-ups. Can’t choose both and say one is somehow more important or difficult than another. One mock-up is as easy to change as the other. And both of them need to be changed as is.

It isn’t a different case. They are boxart mock-ups to show you what you’re preordering or what to expect. Both have Ultimate in mind. If one spoils the other, then the other may as well spoil it, too if they really aren’t trying to hide Ken or weren’t trying to hide Isabelle.

Efficiency of production just isn’t halted by one picture one guy changed with 5 minutes of his time. They can have one picture hanging around on a computer while the final draft is being printed as we speak. That one mock-up can’t possibly cause issues to production for being changed for a single picture.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I don't understand why it has to be a pokemon if we just had one unique left. Getting one wouldn't be surprising but it's entirely possible that one just wasn't added this game
Mostly because we have traditionally gotten one every game.

Honestly though, we got three returning Pokemon and the inclusion of Leaf (bless the ground Sakurai walks on) not to mention the several new Pokeball mons added (RIP PIKABOO ;w; ) the Pokemon fanbase doesn't have much room to complain. The only gripe I'd have if we got no Gen 7 mon is.....we got no Gen 7 representation. I'd be annoyed but once the game reached my hands I likely wouldn't care anymore.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Speaking of TGS is anyone expecting anything to come out of that? I mean it's a big deal Nintendo is there for the first time in like what, 10 years?

Personally I can't see what Nintendo has to reveal after the direct they just had, let alone more Smash information.
Are you saying that heir probably gonna announce Incineroar, or Ken, or Something like that there?

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079

If we got Neku, I wouldn't be complaining in the slightest at all.
TWEWY is one of my favorite games, so I'd love it if that series got some love and appreciation. (Not to mention the great soundtrack of that game.)
A DQ character I wouldn't be particularly against. It's got massive amount of popularity and attention in Japan, so it'd make sense if one got in. I'd just hope they would have an interesting play-style or unique mechanic that comes with them.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
>game approaches launch
>no sonic remix still posted on site
>"maybe shadow really is happening!"
>final direct happens
>no shadow
>game launches
>no new sonic remix at all
>sonic team racing get mediocre review scores as well

1534484337058.gif

Shroob

Sup?
Regardless of 'boxes' being true or not...

The closer we get to launch, the less 'fun' speculation is going to be, something I think most people are going to need to learn to accept sooner or later.

As someone who was active during both Brawl and Smash4's speculation cycle, it's not going to magically get more and more exciting from this point on. It's all downhill from here, fellas, and I hope you're strapped in for the bumpy ride.

Chrono.

Regardless of 'boxes' being true or not...

The closer we get to launch, the less 'fun' speculation is going to be, something I think most people are going to need to learn to accept sooner or later.

As someone who was active during both Brawl and Smash4's speculation cycle, it's not going to magically get more and more exciting from this point on. It's all downhill from here, fellas, and I hope you're strapped in for the bumpy ride.
Eh.

50 fact extravaganza was pretty fun.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Steve would be more interesting than Geno

Just based on some reactions to the box theory, a decent amount Geno fans definetly would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom