• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DooplissWizard

Smash Rookie
you mean like how Mr. Reseti's assist trophy was replaced with Isabelle or Isaacs assist trophy was removed but he didn't become playable. That logic is flawed and shouldn't indicate that they are going to be fighters at all.
The thing is, the fact that third party echoes exist means that Shadow’s inclusion isn’t only backed up by his trophy. It’s not really an Isaac or Resetti situation, since Shadow almost seems like he was made to be an Echo, which are big focuses in Ultimate.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Personally, I think 2 more unique newcomers and 2 more echoes is a safe bet. We have two months left in October and November and one of them will obviously have a Smash Direct which will reveal at least one unique newcomer and the remaining echoes. With the game so close to launch, the other month will obviously not be kept dry and will get a newcomer reveal in some way, maybe a website announcement or something. If we want to be more generous on predictions, two unique newcomers in the Smash Direct.

As for who I think they'll be, Ken and Shadow seem like the most obvious remaining choices for echoes since Isabelle is now out and it would be a good way to end off echoes revealing two high profile third parties. I think Geno is likely going to be the big newcomer reveal at the end of the Smash Direct and he can also be the Square Enix character Verg is talking about. I think the random other month reveal will be the Gen 7 Pokemon, plain and simple. Maybe this gets revealed at a pokemon event or direct of some sort. As for another potential newcomer in a Smash Direct, the way I see it is Skull Kid/Isaac/Banjo/Rayman take your pick. I then have Dixie and Bandanna Dee on the outside looking in.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Ya'll are very VERY underestimating how many characters there might be. I think we may at least get 4 more if not 6 more newcomers. They'll reveal it in a big batch or something

StormC

Smash Hero
Discounting realism and what you personally think is going to happen...

If there really were only 2 characters left, who would you want them to be?
Banjo-Kazooie and Dixie Kong. Super Smash Bros. Rare, baby.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
They could just stop now with Isabelle and I would be still happy with it.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I will say this: The way so many people are being so outright hostile toward the box art instead of dismissing it offhand tells me a lot of people are secretly afraid of it being true.

Which tells me that many of us are quietly taking it more seriously than we let on.

While nothing's for certain yet...maybe there's something to this one that we're all thinking about that we should acknowledge within ourselves. After all, something similar to this happened with Fire Emblem Warriors' base roster.

And if it is real, and we do only have one more unique newcomer left for the base roster...I have to think it's probably a "big gun" kind of reveal. Not necessarily one that'd surpass Ridley or K. Rool, but one that'd be kinda close, at least. A prominent guest fighter, or someone with a long history of requests, or someone who isn't getting talked about but makes sense in hindsight like Cloud did, or et cetera.

But...I also think that if there really are only two characters left--only one unique--that the inevitable Smash Direct that'll reveal them will also announce that DLC is happening. Maybe even reveal the first DLC character, like they did with Mewtwo four years ago.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
How will you guys react if Mr. Reseti returns as an assist trophy. I heard he was removed from Smash 4 because people didn't like him.
A reason was never given for his removal, but I would rather he not come back; he was an absolutely awful AT functionally even for the disruptive kind, lasting way too long and the joke wore out fast, while you couldn't really implement him in another way that makes sense.

farvin111

Smash Journeyman

Small request: can someone make a gif of Tom Nook at his desk? I think it would make a great endless loop, either with him just sitting there or him pressing the lamp switch over and over again.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Palutena’s Army vs The Forces of Nature > Two Heroes vs a hero and a villain to match up a Light vs Dark

I want to bomb the **** out of everyone but Pit and Isabelle/Duck Hunt as Viridi

StormC

Smash Hero

Small request: can someone make a gif of Tom Nook at his desk? I think it would make a great endless loop, either with him just sitting there or him pressing the lamp switch over and over again.

I didn't make this.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Idon: Banjo-Kazooie and Medusa

Sorry Black Shadow. It was you or Medusa but Smash needs more female Nintendo villains.

Last edited:

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
They could just stop now with Isabelle and I would be still happy with it.
Upon being confronted with my mortality with the box theorizing, I too have come to realize we have it so, so good. Ridley and K. Rool? Seriously? I mean, for me, the game is perfect. This is probably the only pre-release Smash hype train I've ever been completely satisfied well before the game's release.

With DLC looking pretty probable, I really think we all ought to be humble - easy for me to say when all my most-wanteds of this cycle are present, I know.. but think big. They could keep the hype for months if not years with DLC, and I hope they do. I wouldn't be surprised if they do. It's not over 'til it's over.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I will say this: The way so many people are being so outright hostile toward the box art instead of dismissing it offhand tells me a lot of people are secretly afraid of it being true.

Which tells me they're taking it more seriously than they let on.

While nothing's for certain yet...maybe there's something to this one that we're all thinking about that we should acknowledge within ourselves. After all, something similar to this happened with Fire Emblem Warriors' base roster.
FEW's CE boxart was leaked weeks before it was meant to go public. This box for Smash was meant to go public around the time it was supposed to based on the design of the box that we can see (lack of Isabelle). I don't consider these similar situations.

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I'm not 100% on the game until I see how the singleplayer is or what it's like.

We have no real news on the additional content of the game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Could you imagine the reactions if Merric was a DLC character? Lol. I'd be hyped though.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Look like generic animu husbando to me
Do not bully the dorky wind wizard. :<

He's Marth's childhood best friend and has basically no shot but he's a really neat character.

D

Deleted member

To be honest, I can kinda see the roster capping the mark at 70 characters (number wise when you go on the website, to be clear). But, at least one of them HAS to be Geno. And when you really look at it, we never really got nine characters added from the last game, we got a pretty damn good amount back, too.

When looking at who came back and who's new after the last iteration of Smash - this being Wii U - we pretty much have 13 characters added to the Smash roster to make it complete. I believe the last Smash game also had 16-18 characters added, or something like that?

Either way, the next 84 some odd days are gonna be one hell of a rollercoaster.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Okay, to people who are salty about Isabelle+possibly only two more newcomers:

What happened to "Sakurai could release the game now and it'd be awesome/better than For"?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Let's not forget that a lot of character resources are being spent on veterans. That's why Sakurai said not to expect too many newcomers in the first place, after all.

Veterans (mostly) rebuilt from the ground up:
:ulticeclimbers:
:ultpichu:
:ultpokemontrainer:(:squirtle::ivysaur:)
:ultsnake:
:ultwolf:
:ultyounglink:
Confirmed non-echo Newcomers
:ultinkling:
:ultkrool:
:ultridley:
:ultsimon:
:ultisabelle:

Counting Squirtle and Ivysaur as separate characters, that'd make 13 characters if the box theory is true. Compared to Smash 4's newcomer count of 15 (not counting DLC or Echoes) that's honestly not bad, it just looks a lot worse on paper because a lot of them are returning veterans. I could easily see us only having one unique newcomer left.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
To be honest, I can kinda see the roster capping the mark at 70 characters (number wise when you go on the website, to be clear).
I would imagine Incineroar being 69 and then Geno 70. Geno would make the most sense being the final reveal as a means of being a surprise and causing lots of hype.

Ken obviously would be 60e.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Well, that’s basically it.

I mentioned it in my last paragraph that the fact that he only heard it from one reliable source is what made inclined to not leak Incineroar since none of the other sources said anything about it.

Oh and I found the post where Delz mentioned it. It was in the Lycanroc thread a while back, so it may have some things that are meant to be in support for it in the excerpt, I hope it doesn’t bother you.

:p Hope it helps.
Well... that's interesting then.

...But if I'm being honest, I'm still going to stick with my guns and believe what Vergeben has to say over Delzethin. At least until there's more confirmation that Delzethin's source, whoever they may be, are correct in their claims that Vergeben jumped the gun.

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
I would imagine Incineroar being 69 and then Geno 70. Geno would make the most sense being the final reveal as a means of being a surprise and causing lots of hype.

Ken obviously would be 60e.
why would Geno being the last reveal make sense, I think it would make more sense for him not to be in the game. I understand that Sakurai likes the character and that a good majority of vocal smash fans want him in but I don't think he's as hype inducing as people make him out to be.

personally Id be more hyped for Incineroar as I actually know that character. I grew up with smash bros (at least I was the target audience fro melee at the time before it became a full fledged pro sport) and I know a lot of Nintendo characters and Geno would not be hype for the last reveal.

If Sakurai wants proper hype for the last reveal at this stage it would need to be a third party character like someone from Dragon quest, mortal combat, or Banjo and Kazooie etc. (this could just be me trying to find a good excuse for Sora to come to smash though so I dunno).

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I swear, this was one of speculation’s weirdest days, the amount of crying and salt about people there being 1 echo and 1 newcomer left.

I guess Isabelle just didn’t hold us over at all.

Anyways, I’m done for tonight, I’ll answer anything else tomorrow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom