• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
I think y'all need to chill out and remind yourselves that this was a NINTENDO Direct, not a SMASH Direct and y'all set your bars too high. There was going to be at least one newcomer and we got Isabelle. I was surprised that we only got one, but I'm not complaining. Be thankful that we got a new character to join the fight instead of 35 minutes "wasted" like some of you are complaining about because I'd take that over NOTHING.

We got two and a half months until the game drops so plenty of time to at least drop 1-2 more Directs and I expect the Final Direct in November to come off with a bang. So stop being salty and try to focus on what's next
To be fair though, people are going to be JUST as salty were it Incineroar.

D

Deleted member

*Ahem*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

She's not an Echo! She's a semi-clone! Ah, it makes so much sense, I can't believe I didn't think about it!

And that AC 2019 reveal? YES! This Direct was such a rollercoaster. My throat still hurts from how loud I got, lol. I was practically jumping up and down at Isabelle's reveal!

Goodness, there's so much to talk about, I don't even know where to begin. Luigi's Mansion 3, Kirby's Epic Yarn 3DS, KATAMARI FLIPPIN' DAMACY, Splatoon updates, a bunch of Final Fantasy, ISABELLE IN SMASH AS A SEMI-CLONE, AND 2019 AC!? Goodness, someone needs to tell Nintendo E3 was months ago, cause these were basically E3 grade announcements!

With Isabelle, this Smash is now 100% perfect for me, and I have no complaints or further wants for base-game. I wish everyone who is supporting their favorites the best of luck so that they can feel as happy as I do right now. :)

Now, if you excuse me, I'm gonna go watch Isabelle's trailer again...

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
So uh, I've been checking up on possible leaks and corroborating it with the Isabelle info:
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/423514304/#423514304

This was made on July 8th.

The thing is, it calls Isabelle a unique fighter, and also mentions Karate Joe way before people started to bandwagon him. It also calls Dixie and Impa as unique fighters as well which is interesting. Though, while it got Dark Samus, it didn't get Chrom or Richter, and it also has the roster order wrong (But somehow got K. Rool right as #67 lol)

For the lazy, it said:

-Isabelle
-Dixie
-Impa
-Elma
-Decidueye
-Heihachi
-Geno
-Karate Joe

As remaining uniques.

Probably meh, but just found it interesting.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Sim games aren't my thing, so Isabelle being a unique was kind of lame. I can't say she was the hype generating machine, and she fits in neatly with the whole "reveals deflate in hype over time" schedule for the Smash fanbase. We should expect lowball reveals for us from now on, and instead try to look bigger and think "what do people aside from us want?" I kinda find it distasteful that Ridley can stab her, or Wario can fart on her, but who am I to judge? At least the Animal Crossing fans got their character instead of Villager riding solo, but I don't really think that you'd be interested in Animal Crossing after the Isabelle reveal if you weren't already. She's "meh" unless you already wanted her, and I think it mostly has to do with her trailer, which I think is the actual worst newcomer trailer by far. It didn't do a good enough job of catching your attention like Villager's trailer did, and as soon as the word Smash showed up it was inevitable that she was not only a new fighter, but a unique because she had her own dedicated trailer. It's slow and boring, featuring nobody else to make her feel connected. It's just "Animal Crossing" until the splash screen makes it Smash, and even the music isn't hype enough. Her trailer failed to leave an impact on me besides "darn, she's not an echo, I was wrong."

The echo schedule as changed, as an Echo Fighter we thought a lock was instead a unique. Starting to fear that Mr. Two Spindashes and A Spring might be right: Shadow might be a unique. I want a Shadow Echo but outright dislike anything more than that.

I think I wouldn't have minded if Pikmin 4 or Metroid Prime 4 were there. Everything but the Smash was more hype than the Smash. Unless you wanted Isabelle beforehand, or New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe and Toadette in a main game (poor Daisy), or Final Fantasy 7 on Switch, then I guess you won. Nice job. I liked the overview of Nintendo Switch Online because it had Mario characters in it (I'm easy to please. Outside of Smash.)

Now brand me as a salty whiner and say that Isabelle is a star who absolutely deserved a role in Smash above Assist Trophy (which is something, honestly, I don't disagree with).

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
The AC trailers was really genius. I first thought it was for AC Switch. Then was disappointed, but happy it was for Isabelle in Smash. And then they end with it actually announcing AC for Switch. I liked it a lot

D

Deleted member

This doesn't cjange my perspective on Verge at all. Already believed him before, ever since E3 in fact. Isabelle was by far the safest of his predictions, if you didn't believe him when Simon was revealed, I don't know why you're changing your mind now.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I love Isabelle, but for some reason I was let down by her reveal..she didn't even interact with another series' character in it.

Potato_

Smash Lord
The fact that we still have semi-clones means Dixie fans might have more hope than we thought.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I think y'all need to chill out and remind yourselves that this was a NINTENDO Direct, not a SMASH Direct and y'all set your bars too high. There was going to be at least one newcomer and we got Isabelle. I was surprised that we only got one, but I'm not complaining. Be thankful that we got a new character to join the fight instead of 35 minutes "wasted" like some of you are complaining about because I'd take that over NOTHING.

We got two and a half months until the game drops so plenty of time to at least drop 1-2 more Directs and I expect the Final Direct in November to come off with a bang. So stop being salty and try to focus on what's next
Exactly.
Next month or the month after we're getting another Smash direct with character reveal after character reveal. And we're probably getting another character in between.

The hype will come, be patient.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
I mean, yeah, Isabelle's trailer wasn't all flashy and dramatic, but... Animal Crossing isn't like that. I've never played it myself, but from what I've watched, it's an incredibly chill series.

So, yeah. While her trailer may have been boring to some, it pretty much fits in with AC. I liked it.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Honestly, I'd be kidding you if I said I didn't squeal the moment Isabelle came on screen.

I'm no AC fan, but I've wanted to get into it and lots of my friends are into it and love the character, so whether it was a mew AC or Smash (which I figured it was the latter) I was still really happy.

Also, she looks fun. I may actually like her more than Villager, who I tried but didn't get the hang of.

Also, that Wolf reveal was great. "Playtime's Over" immediately hyped me up and I was wondering why they would use that if Wolf was nowhere to be seem. Also, his voice? Godlike. Gimme that in Smash plz

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Isabelle's trailer was actually clever, in a way none of the "cooler" trailers were. They went out of their way to give her a lower-poly model than she actually uses in-game just to make it look like actual Animal Crossing footage. Sure, "Not Actual Gameplay Footage" ruined the joke, but literally every single Smash reveal has been immediately obvious within seconds of the trailer starting, so don't act like this is the first time the trailer gave away the character right away.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
New Luigi's Mansion was a great way to start!
Wolf in Starlink...ooof what a lad.
Skylines my man. I am might indulge in that. Really love building games of that nature.
New Yoshi and Animal Crossing...not interested in either but that will make em quiet for now :p
Mario Party actually looks good what the heck
That Let's Go joycon is sublime. I adore the colors and their shading.
Smash bundle has an amazing dock, but that controller is terrible.
The new online looks bare bones for now, although online multiplayer NES games promises much for SNES-GCN down the line...god please make them happen.
I am down for a 1v1 in Dr. Mario, however. Show me your moves.
Final Fantasies for everyone

No Metroid news. That's a bit disappointing I must say.
Isabelle's trailer was anti-climatic. Stuck with the source material, but for a Smash trailer that didn't really work.
So she's unique. Surprising. Don't play Animal Crossing so very indifferent about her addition. Can't say she doesn't deserve it, but meh.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
That isn't a leak and you know it.
It's piggybacking on a safe guess, like I theorized before it was going to be a character with a stage already, that leaves skull kid and isabelle. He guessed correctly.
Who's the person who's been talking about revisionism in regards to Smash Bros. leaks predicting reveals?

Because I've got a good case of it right here.

Again, nobody guessed Isabelle being the main Smash reveal of the Direct as everyone (probably you included) believed she would be an echo. This person was the only one to do so. THE ONLY ONE.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I tried telling ya'll she wasn't gonna be an echo.

Ya'll kept shutting me down.

I keep telling ya'll these things and ya'll never listen. Never.

Yes I'm bragging. What about it?

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Eh, seems like more people are salty about her trailer than the fact that she's in the game. Also, I've seen this board get much saltier during Sm4sh times. Most people here are still being pretty civil. (*MOST)

LetterO

Smash Lord
The irony is delicious for many of us Dark Pit mains, I would presume. I know I'm loving it, and I'm happy for Isabelle's supporters.

And for those of you who are upset over Isabelle (or anyone for that matter) for getting in and are relentlessly hating on their supporters,

Literally nobody is hating on Isabelle supporters. Also, people are allowed to be disappointed and upset. People aren't always going to be satisfied.

kylexv

Smash Master
So yeah Isabelle seems to be a semiclone of Villager in the same vain Luigi is to Mario

Isabelee has Pocket and Balloon Trip, her Down-B appears to plant a Lloyd Rocket, and her Side-B is probably the fish hook.

Nielicus

Smash Lord
I just wish we could’ve seen her interacting in a trailer with other characters. Like it would’ve been cool if like Peach came to visit her or something IDK, but AYE shoutout to Isabelle, Queen of the puppies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Anyways, the one good thing about this is that it basically disproves the theory that only popular characters from the Ballot will be added.

Chorus Kids still have a chance!
I feel like Isabelle still probably did well enough in the ballot. Especially in the casual market.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Let's be real here, Isabelle is waaaaaay more popular, both worldwide and with casual and hardcore fans alike, then the somewhat niche Dark Samus. Like, I'd rather have a unique Dark Samus myself but let's not pretend like she was "more deserving" then the wildly iconic and popular Isabelle just because of her phazon powers.

If they made Dark Samus unique, we'd be seeing even more salt then we are with Isabelle that they made a "another dark doppelganger" into a non-echo.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Anyone expecting Isaac or Geno to be in this General Direct aimed at the most casual of casuals is silly. There was no better place to reveal Isabelle and subsequently Animal Crossing Switch than in this Direct.

KMDP

Smash Legend
It's the OG 8. Luigi, Ness, Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff aren't on it...

That could probably tell us something about the starting roster

Also Yoshi :yoshi:
Yeah, I noticed that too. Didn't think much of it, to be honest (though you might be on to something).
New theory:

Characters only die IF there's a Smash Transition Logo.
Ah, the off-centered + is a herald of death, I see.
---
:ultisabelle:, when Warchamp? :troll:

Last edited:

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
I remember Villager's reveal being similar with the mail but being 10* better than Isabelle's

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
First Chrom showed up and went "hey hey hey im an echo and i'm slightly different!"
Then Isabelle shows up and it's like "hey hey hey im not an echo i'm a semi-clone baby!"

And now we have no idea what the **** we're supposed to on the whole Echo thing and for me it now just looks like damage control for clones rather than actually doing a little extra to "save development time". Call me tinfoil timmy but I'm starting to become skeptical.

LetterO

Smash Lord
I feel like Isabelle still probably did well enough in the ballot. Especially in the casual market.
Probably not, considering she was an assist and Echos didnt exist so nobody was even thinking of her being a possible Villager clone.

Volodya

Smash Apprentice
I'll love whatever everyone else is disappointed in, so Isabelle is great. Cute. I'll for sure play her.

All the FF stuff was what got me though, I was a little beside myself. Makes for some interesting speculation.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Literally nobody is hating on Isabelle supporters. Also, people are allowed to be disappointed and upset. People aren't always going to be satisfied.
I was mainly referring to people who decide to be a bunch of ****wads to fans of a character regardless of whether they got in or not. I should have probably worded that better.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Guys here me out, but rethinking this, I think I figured out something.

I think Isabelle was ORIGINALLY intended to be an echo fighter, however, with Animal Crossing coming to the Switch, Nintendo most likely wanted to promoted it, and asked Sakurai to make her unique so she can receive her own trailer. We can see this from her moveset which although isn't enough to be considered an echo, has a lot similarities between Villager such as her Up B, Neutral special, Some Normals, Lloyd Rocket, grab, and FS.

Her trailer was alot more sluggish, no High Quality CGI, no CGI character interaction, etc. It seemed that it was something that could've been made a lot more quicker, and to the point.

Finally, she was also used to tie in with Animal Crossing 2019 as seen from the very end.

So that's my theory so far and can possibly explain why some of Verg's sources thought she was an echo. She most likely was intended as an echo, but was made to be more unique to deserve her own trailer, which seemed to be more quickly done.

Last edited:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I mean, yeah, Isabelle's trailer wasn't all flashy and dramatic, but... Animal Crossing isn't like that. I've never played it myself, but from what I've watched, it's an incredibly chill series.

So, yeah. While her trailer may have been boring to some, it pretty much fits in with AC. I liked it.
Pretty much.

Not gonna lie i thought Tom Nook was gonna be an echo fighter

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I mean I can't really say I'm very disappointed. I expected that regardless of who came next, it'd be hard to top some of the best reveals in Smash history:ultkrool::ultsimon::ultridley:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Probably not, considering she was an assist and Echos didnt exist so nobody was even thinking of her being a possible Villager clone.
And yet people think Skull Kid is a Shoo In?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The one thing to come out of this is it helps the music theory. Animal Crossing doesn't have a song and will be the song for next week. Like I expected, it wasn't a Zelda, Mario or Kirby character. I thought it would be Pokemon since I didn't have much hope in Xenoblade and I thought, like everyone else, Isabelle would be an echo. Otherwise, it was from a series without a song. So far, the series that don't have songs are

Star Fox
Pokemon
Earthbound
Wario
Kid Icarus
Sonic
Animal Crossing (likely next week)
Punch-Out
Xenoblade
Any of the classic Nintendo series

Left Bayonetta out as, as others have pointed out, it has the same number of songs as last time. If we assume the classic series will just have one song, that's 10 more songs for 12 weeks. Either we'll have a double and one new series or two new series. If this holds true, the likely candidates for characters seem to be Pokemon, Xenoblade and maybe Sonic. Sonic is also the only guest series that doesn't have a song yet which is curious. This seems to fit the idea that the characters will be anti-climatic. I could see the remaining characters being Rex/Elma, a Pokemon and a Rhythm Heaven rep. There was room for about 8-9 characters to be updated on the site (assuming three a week), now 7-8 with Isabelle. All that said, this doesn't seem to affect echoes so your Dixies and Kens are safe for now.
By the way, did I mention how awesome Isabelle in Smash is.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I mean, I liked it.

Animal Crossing is a different breed of game. It's meant to be slow and calming. The trailer was true to that. It actually made me nostalgic for when I played New Leaf.

The feeling of slowness could also be attributed to their decision to stick with text bubbles, as they're going to leave that up long enough for slower readers to catch on. It's annoying for someone who's used to mashing the A button the moment they're done with a sentence.
the problem i have is that its trailer for a fighting game and this had no energy to it. It just left me feeling super empty about a new character

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
If it's true about Isabelle being in Smash, then Lloyd might have an chance since he was also a Mii Costume but who knows!

Anyways, the hype was so real!

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I finally saw the Direct. Super excited for Isabelle and moving her two outfits. And as an AC fan, that trailer was just how I imagined it. Loved the references to both Smash 4 and Pocket Camp. Also looking forward to AC’s return to the console. So Smash is technically canon in AC.

I’m confused though, Isabelle seems to have semi similar moves compared to Villager. Not all of them but like she has Pocket, right? And I am dissapointed she doesn’t have a unique Final Smash. Or at least make it a Public Works.

Am actually more hyped that finally core Final Fantasy is on a Nintendo console. Super excited to see my favs; especially X which is probably one of my all time favorites. Still holding out for 13 and 15 to finally come out as well. And 9 too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom