• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Guess we can hope for a Direct announcement tomorrow for Thursday. If not, then I don't think its being rescheduled lol.
If I remember correctly the Thursday direct announcment last week was tweeted on Wednesday, so I'd give it at least till Wednesday. If we don't hear anything then...than yeah idk.

Almost positive it's Thursday though. That Splatoon update move was staring us in the face but we didn't want to believe it.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
"So tell me, why do you think your most wanted character has a chance at being playable in Smash?"

How would you respond?
So... your basically telling me why I think Lycanroc is likely? Alright let me look up my 1000 word essay on them...

EDIT: Found it :D
Oh god more Pokémon debates. Since everyone has been talking about Lycanroc recently, I might as well go deeper into this (obviously).

So starting off with the obvious question. Why would Sakurai pick Lycanroc of all things?

One of the things Sakurai looks when selecting new characters, and essentially a new Pokémon, is it’s uniqueness. Can this character stand out and bring in something new from the cast? Lycanroc easily fills this out, we’ve yet to see any character in Smash use earth like abilities, and the only move that was Rock based “Rock Smash” was removed. Having an earth based fighter can lead to interesting moves like spawning pillars and rock edges for Smash attacks and specials, etc. in ways that the cast hasn’t done. And that isn’t taking into account the other things like different forms, whatever boost mechanic Dusk has, and each forms unique attack and ability, and having two forms being a quadruped, this already kills a lot of birds with a single damn stone.

You can argue another character, Isaac can fill this motif, but even then, Isaac would include so many other things that he is well known that he can possibly pull from his gargantuan move list that Isaac and Lycanroc would be distinct enough to not be in each other’s way, with varying different playstyles. (Not to mention the whole being a wolf and a Human sorcerer).

Now onto the next question, There’s tons of other possible unique Gen 7 Pokémon that can be unique, why does Lycanroc have an edge over them?

This is where it’s presence comes into play. Another aspect that Sakurai looks when selecting a new Pokémon is if the Pokémon is going to play a big part of the current generation, since A) usually the character who is main focus is the one that gets into Smash, and B) it would usually determine which is the most likely to be popular.

Lycanroc also wins here. Ever since the beginning of Sun and Moon’s run, Lycanroc has been played up to be a big part of Sun and Moon. The Midday and Midnight forms were big when they were first revealed and were being shown in the things like merchandise, advertising, and even held important roles during the Rockruff arc and were shown off the earliest in the anime. Not to mention the Midnight and Midday forms were shown to be popular among the Pokémon crowd. Not to mention, that Ash’s main Pokémon is a Lycanroc, and a new form, Dusk, which leads into another whole can of worms. Dusk has been one of the biggest Pokémon to have a presence this generation, ever since 2017 when it was first revealed to be advertised for USUM and became Ash’s main Pokémon for an entire year.

Incoming small rant:
Forget your damn murals, forget how Incineroar is out of the blue suddenly going to become this big thing for Ash when it’s been two years of development for Ash’s team, when his Litten JUST evolved into a torrocat a month ago when his Lycanroc/Rockruff had a major plot points for the past entire anime run, and the upcoming arc seems nothing related to Torrocat in any ways. It’s clear, Lycanroc was pushed from the start and has surpassed that of the starters. Even if Dusk wasn’t available, the Midday and Midnight forms still had a big presence even for the beginning of Gen 7.
End small rant.

Lycanroc has the benefit of BOTH presence AND uniqueness. That’s why they are people pushing the damn thing in the first place, if it didn’t have it’s unique abilities it would’ve been another Chrom situation, and clearly a lot of us learned that unless your an easy echo, this isn’t likely.

Finally, here’s one last question. What about their concept art? It doesn’t really stand out as much compared to the starters.

That is in fact a good question. However, one reference sheet alone isn’t enough to make a character.

In fact, Sakurai even said he received SEVERAL illustrations and references from Game Freak to decide on Greninja. The concept art is solely meant to show how they look like and maybe some in character actions, however, he most likely had more reference sheet at his disposal to simulate moves. And even then, Sakurai made sure he waited until X and Y were near the end of development to get more information about the Pokémon in general. The same could possibly apply here,with by waiting until early mid 2016, Sun and Moon, were practically done at that point and had more finalized design for all the Pokemon, allowing Sakurai more information about each of them to allow him to pick which is possibly the best option to choose from.

So what does this have to with Lycanroc? Well, Sakurai would have known about them being the planned big Pokémon stars of the seventh generation, and with how Sakurai always first looks into the characters’ potential moveset, he would’ve ended up learning more about them and with them being earth benders with multiple forms and unique abilites, and even it’s Dusk form, and exposed to what makes Lycanroc stand apart from everyone else.
———————————————————
So this is why I think Lycanroc is likely in my eyes. I used to believe that it would’ve been Decidueye and even Incineroar as a possibility when I first speculated about Smash Ultimate, but as the recent events unfolded and the more I learned about Lycanroc and what they can bring, they suddenly seemed like one of the most likely characters. Even with the recent speculation about Incineroar, I looked more into it and so far, Ash’s Litten JUST evolved in a previous episode with Kukui’s (Masked Royal’s) Incineroar, and with another arc that seems to be even more focused on Necromza and hints at Lycanroc playing a part yet again near the end of this year, it doesn’t seem plausible with how much their building Ash’s and his Lycanroc’s relationship so far.
Oh god, know I don’t know if it’s either double or triple that.

Last edited:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, THE NOSTALGIA! GIMME ALL 90'S DREAM OF CRASH VS MARIO VS SONIC GODDAMMIT!!!

*ahem*

Let's start over

It's all about the iconic figure that Crash has that many people do not realize. Crash was mega hot in the 90's and became a hit with kids and adults alike and was given multiple sequels and spinoff to become Sony's version of Mario. And Crash was popular than Sonic in the late 90's/early 00's as Sonic was in a darker time. To fulfill a dream to allow the impossible become possible with Crash vs Mario vs Sonic is a dream come true.

In other words: GIMME CRASH OR MY HEART WILL CRUSH (no pun intended mind you lmao)
"Crusher, you have a yes from me."

Iridium

Smash Hero
I'll make a good guess and say nothing happened while I was gone. Carry on, again.

Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Voltron Legendary Defender, a cartoon whose fan base makes the likes of Steven Universe pale in comparison with regard to toxicity
Let's be honest, all animation communities are extremely toxic for whatever reason.
I have friends who work or have worked on some prominent shows and had death threats sent to them over stupid **** like shipping.

Anywho, any franchises you guys have come to enjoy and appreciate because of Smash Bros.?

Q-Long

Smash Lord
If I remember correctly the Thursday direct announcment last week was tweeted on Wednesday, so I'd give it at least till Wednesday. If we don't hear anything then...than yeah idk.

Almost positive it's Thursday though. That Splatoon update move was staring us in the face but we didn't want to believe it.
I love your icon, I would play Ridneynetta!

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
This is off topic, but I just want to wish everyone luck on the east coast that may be affected by the hurricane/ tropical storms.
it's barely not gonna hit my area. Defintley some rain and a couple thunderstorms, just nothing major.
As for the rest of you, My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Anywho, any franchises you guys have come to enjoy and appreciate because of Smash Bros.?
Xenoblade is the big one for me.

Fire Emblem to a much much lesser extent.

EDIT: Oh **** yeah, Kid Icarus too, Uprising is a GOAT for me.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Sounds you think in your head aren’t real.
No sound is actually heard by us. The brain just happens to trust the signals coming from whatever part of it’s body. You don’t ever experience anything outside of your skull.
For all you know, you live inside yourself and we’re all just shards of your lonely mind, keeping you company until your other brain shards decide it’s time to let you play the ultimate game that, again, you made up.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
No prob, my boy. I wasn't offended in the slightest.

I included everyone in the Original 12, because while an argument can be made for cutting Ness, Captain Falcon, and the Puff, I feel that, by simply being in every installment of one of their best-selling franchises, they have cemented their spots in Nintendo history.

I wanted to include Peach and Zelda, but since I wanted to represent as many series as possible, I couldn't give too much to any one franchise (hence why Mario (not including the sub-series) and Pokemon are the only series with 3 characters instead of one or 2), and with the fact that, again, this is a 30 character roster, there simply wasn't any room left on the roster for them. If they were in, a few of the universes would not have made it, when I feel the other characters in their series represent them and their history fine. They definetly would have been in if the roster was just a bit larger.
Nah, I think a reboot is extactly where you could stop caring who was the original 12. A reboot is about letting stuff go.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Let's be honest, all animation communities are extremely toxic for whatever reason.
I have friends who work or have worked on some prominent shows and had death threats sent to them over stupid **** like shipping.

Oh man, the ship wars...especially when they start crying about how your ship is “problematic!!!” over insignificant ****

Anyway as to your question... I’d say Fire Emblem, Earthbound, Sonic, Metal Gear, F-Zero, Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, Street Fighter, and to a lesser extent, Punch-Out. Wanna try Castlevania sometime too

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Pokémon
Zelda
Megaman
Sonic
Kid Icarrus
Give me a break, I'm slightly younger than most of you (If it helps you guys, I was born during the Smash 64 days)

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
No sound is actually heard by us. The brain just happens to trust the signals coming from whatever part of it’s body. You don’t ever experience anything outside of your skull.
For all you know, you live inside yourself and we’re all just shards of your lonely mind, keeping you company until your other brain shards decide it’s time to let you play the ultimate game that, again, you made up.
How do I know everyone I know isn't deaf and guesses perfectly to say everything perfectly in line with what I say?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
None, because I've played these games long before a newcomer is added.

I am the ultimate game master. No one is.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Fire Emblem, F-Zero, Bayonetta annnnnnnnd Metal Gear Solid.

Though, I used the terms "enjoy" and "appreciate" pretty loosely for Metal Gear.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Definitely EarthBound.

Also helps that Ness and Lucas are some of my favorite fighters.

They are why I got EarthBound and EarthBound Beginnings when they became available on Wii U Virtual Console.

Pacman High Tier

Smash Cadet
NNID
judetheloon
Switch FC
SW-4116-2252-3537
Smash got me into Mother and to a lesser extent Pikmin. The Starfy AT slightly helped in getting me into that franchise (so underrated). As well as that there was, uh, to a way, way, lesser extent, Megaman. I bought the legacy collection because he felt fun in Smash.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord

I admit I played F-Zero because I had interest in Captain Falcon, and it's definitely a franchise I really enjoy

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
Oh man, the ship wars...especially when they start crying about how your ship is “problematic!!!” over insignificant ****

Anyway as to your question... I’d say Fire Emblem, Earthbound, Sonic, Metal Gear, F-Zero, Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, Street Fighter, and to a lesser extent, Punch-Out. Wanna try Castlevania sometime too
Let's all just remeber the people who use leaks as balckmail to get ships/certian cafechters revealed as gay or trans.
Someone posted a youtube video saying something along the lines of "Voltron fans, we are better then this" and my first thought was no we aren't, but I'm done bing off topic now, quick, lemme come up with a game
Come up with a paragraph or two pitching your favorite newcomer directly to Sakurai, ready go.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Metroid, Kirby, Mother and Zelda are the big ones for me, although there are also a lot of other series I've ended up trying out thanks to it, I'm almost able to check every franchise in Smash off as at least having being given a chance at this point. Melee is basically why I'm a Nintendo fan at all.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I disagree, firstly, you have likley never seen the VLD guys pissed. Secondly you've probably never been in the midsts of someone doing a who would win in a fight argument, like a deathbattle or a vs batyle wiki.
Then there's the comment section on a game theory video, but that's another matter entirely
"Waaaaaaaaaaaah! Undertale **** always win muh fictional fights because of hax and determination"

I've seen delicious salt for Castlevania characters being multiverse busters.

Last edited:

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace

METROID :samus:

link2702

Smash Champion
So how would y’all feel if for the ending of whatever the story mode might be in ultimate, after the credits roll, the game gives a major throwback to the original smash64? having the scene show your character being a lifeless doll on a table in a kids room, being picked up and put back into a toy box, which then the camera zooms out and you see the back of a child in the bedroom with a white pair of gloves on before the scene fades out.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Smash Bros 64 was one of the first games I ever played. So therefore I got in to every Nintendo series out there because of that. The only exceptions being...

Legend of Zelda: Played both OoT and MM around the same time I got Smash 64.

Pokemon: Played Pokemon Blue and Pokemon Stadium before that.

Advance Wars/Golden Sun: Franchises I got in to independent of Smash Bros. And the ones I ironically love the most lol.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

When I first played Smash, I only knew about Mario and Pokemon. So I was a Very Basic Child.

Smash got me to play Zelda, Kirby, Metroid, EarthBound, Pikmin, Kid Icarus, Ice Climber, Game & Watch, and Final Fantasy 7. I'm familiar with other series like Fire Emblem, Punch Out, Star Fox, DK, Yoshi, Wario Land / WarioWare, Inc., Xenoblade, and Animal Crossing, but Smash specifically did not drive me to play them.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

Metal Gear
Metroid
Fire Emblem
The Legend of Zelda
Castlevania

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
New franchises because of Smash: Literally most of them.

I played Smash before I played the games the series came from. Special shout outs to Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Star Fox, and Donkey Kong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom