• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Because he has multiple Nintendo exclusive games on consoles like the 3ds unlike Cloud.

Namco own all the dragon ball video game rights so he can be included in smash extremely easily.

He's extremely popular worldwide, would boost sales, has a good moveset, wouldn't be out of place in the roster, oh and he will be controversial so everyone will be talking about him in smash driving up hype even more.

If he is to be revealed he will be the final fighter for sure.

Does Son Goku of Dragonball originate from a video game or a manga?

I know the answer but I want to see what you respond with.

Last edited:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Exactly Sakurai does what he wants. So I'm suprised people are acting like they know his plan for smash and what he has in store.

Who would have thought during Melee we would be playing as Snake, Bayonetta, and Cloud in the near future.
Sakurai was completely open to adding Snake in Melee. Third parties were always possible, unlike anime characters.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I never understood why people were so surprised to see Cloud in Smash 4.

The moment we had Snake characters like Cloud (not heavily associated with Nintendo) were a given at least from my viewpoint.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I still think Popeye would be the most appropriate licensed character to put in, since his scrapped game concept was instrumental to the creation of Mario and Donkey Kong (as well as Pauline, to a lesser extent), not to mention Nintendo's gaming empire.

It doesn't hurt that he got an actual game from Miyamoto himself, to boot.

Holy **** there was a reboot of that game? AVGN would not be proud.
A sequel, actually. Granted AVGN would begrudgingly admit the new Shaq Fu is way better.

Just give Agumon the mechanic to Wrap Digivolve to Wargreymon, when the meter is full in mid battle and we good

Hopefully they'd put in this little number:
Sadly, I suspect that anime openings would cost a hefty bundle, considering how those tend to not make it in US releases of rhythm games, never mind Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796

The moment we had Snake characters like Cloud (not heavily associated with Nintendo) were a given at least from my viewpoint.
Because Cloud was not on Nintendo. It was in PS1 system. He originated in PS1.

From there, SQUARE ENIX moved FF to Playstation/Sony. But they did not forget about Nintendo.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero

For me it is more about historical weight than him just showing up.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
Hey guys how's it going, was there anything that I missed--

Goku Debates

Alright, few more extra hours of sleep never hurt anybody.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Except those characters were still plausible because they're video game characters....?
Well Samurai considered James Bond for melee and even though he didnt get in that's good enough for me.

Like in the new star wars movie like thought about killing his relative but by then damage had been done even if he didn't do it.

Anyway I just think having Goku would make smash ultimate the ultimate crossover game. And would really boost sales his Amiibo would sell like hot cakes.

If he does not get in that's ok I'm not expecting him but if he does I'll be very happy as will many others.

On and for the record funimatiom wrote to Nintendo asking for Goku to be included in smash much like Kojima did for snake.

Last edited:

JayPercent

Smash Rookie
If they were to ever add Goku in SSBU, he'd probably be included as DLC. His moveset probably would be based on DBFZ like Ryu is to SF. Since Namco already agrees to lend a few character so the SSB series, I don't think Goku would be that much of a stretch. That said, I don't think it will happen for many reasons. And now I'm sad.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Because Cloud was not on Nintendo. It was in PS1 system. He originated in PS1.

From there, SQUARE ENIX moved FF to Playstation/Sony. But they did not forget about Nintendo.
Snake was 93% of his existence a playstation mascot just like Cloud.

Yet I see people reacting to Cloud as if he was this character that wasn't expected in a million years.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I get that we're debating about Goku, but like, can we just stop debating about him now? He won't and will never be in Smash. So, for the love of God, can we stop talking about him? Each time it's about him, a debate always erupt and there are a lot of Goku elitist!

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
God I ****ing hate any discussion centered around Goku or any other non-game character in Smash.

Not because I hate the character. Not because I think it's a stupid choice. Not because I think his inclusion will "open the floodgates" or whatever reason you can think of.

It's the superiority and smugness people develop over telling other people their favorite character won't get in and that they're an idiot for even believing it even slightly. Let me say, if you do this, you're being an asshole for no reason at all. You're not going to suddenly convince them that their character is impossible, so why bother with the rudeness?

Who cares if they think Goku has a decent chance? The discussion has gone on for literal years at this point and always devolves into namecalling, never goes into anything productive. It's not worth having.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Even as a big DBZ fan I don't feel anything for the idea of having Goku in Smash, I'd much rather just play him in FighterZ where the gameplay mechanics feel much more in line with DBZ and the fanservice is off the charts. There are a lot of characters for whom I love the crossover potential, but for some reason the idea of Goku battling it out against Nintendo characters just does nothing for me.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
There just be a barrage of annoying pictures and memes whenever Goku from Dragonball in considered for smash.

Also why not Monkey D. Luffy?

Last edited:

Chrono.

Because at the time fan rules were all the rage and Final Fantasy "had" to be represented by a Chocobo, Moogle or Black Mage because Cloud wouldn't "fit" Smash.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Even if Goku gets in (which, he is not going to), there is still a more deserving meme pick...

And he actually originates from a video game

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
One thing that I'm always curious, is that, while Goku would be choosed since he is the main character. If peoples had the choices to choose any other DB characters, would peoples really care about Goku for Smash?

I mean, personal opinion here, but I think Goku is boring as hell, I much prefer the HYPE MAN HIMSELF Vegeta, or Piccolo with all of his unique technique, and a few others characters.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I'm gonna pull my hair out if I keep going on this. So in summary my opinions on the matter:
1 - wtf is 5th party?
2 - the video game rule has never been broken. Speculation based on precedent is stronger by nature. Precedent has been broken before, but precedent has been maintained far more often.
3 - if we have to break the video game rule, Mickey Mouse or Popeye make significantly more sense than Goku, yes even from a video game history perspective and I say this as the owner of multiple DB games, fewer Disney games, and no Popeye games. Watch some video game history on YouTube, people.
4 - off topic, but virtual pet toys 100% count as video games imo. I don't think Digimon is happening nor do I want it, but come on people, it's not less likely than Master Chief or Shantae.

Spider-Man is dope and I gotta get back to it. Peace out

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Ok I
One thing that I'm always curious, is that, while Goku would be choosed since he is the main character. If peoples had the choices to choose any other DB characters, would peoples really care about Goku for Smash?

I mean, personal opinion here, but I think Goku is boring as hell, I much prefer the HYPE MAN HIMSELF Vegeta, or Piccolo with all of his unique technique, and a few others characters.
I would want Broly his power is maximum.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
Not even gonna lie, Goku in Smash would be unironically hype and anyone who says it wouldn't be are lying to themselves.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Well Samurai considered James Bond for melee and even though he didnt get in that's good enough for me.

Like in the new star wars movie like thought about killing his relative but by then damage had been done even if he didn't do it.

Anyway I just think having Goku would make smash ultimate the ultimate crossover game. And would really boost sales his Amiibo would sell like hot cakes.

If he does not get in that's ok I'm not expecting him but if he does I'll be very happy as will many others.

On and for the record funimatiom wrote to Nintendo asking for Goku to be included in smash much like Kojima did for snake.
Kojima is Sakurai's FRIEND. Why the hell would he care about what some distribution company he has no affiliation with has to say?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Spider-Man is dope and I gotta get back to it. Peace out
If you’re playing Spider-Man you better kill your/himself atleast one because that’s one of the many special things to do in his games (but only if you’re on a high *** building to make it better)
Namco own all the dragon ball video game rights so he can be included in smash extremely easily.

He's extremely popular worldwide, would boost sales, has a good moveset, wouldn't be out of place in the roster, oh and he will be controversial so everyone will be talking about him in smash driving up hype even more.

If he is to be revealed he will be the final fighter for sure.
Hey you’re back at it with the Goku talk...the guy who’s apart of a series owned by Toei and Toriyama and isn’t a video game series to begin with...and Namco only owns the gaming rights to DBZ and not the entire series...so putting in a non-gaming character just because a gaming company who’s helping develop Smash could manage to add him isn’t really possible (no matter how much Funimation talks about it or how many DBZ actors are there)
If they were to ever add Goku in SSBU, he'd probably be included as DLC. His moveset probably would be based on DBFZ like Ryu is to SF. Since Namco already agrees to lend a few character so the SSB series, I don't think Goku would be that much of a stretch. That said, I don't think it will happen for many reasons. And now I'm sad.
If he was a video game character then he’d be one of the first to get in Smash
nintendo's rarely if ever done things on the weekend, correct?
Yeah. A very rare thing for them to do, but they have done it before

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I had a bit of a thought.

Samus and Pikachu were established buddies in Subspace Emissary. It would’ve been cool to see Dark Samus and Mimikyu as a foil to that. They’re both Eldritch Monstrosities that hide in shells imitating their rivals. Mimikyu is essentially “Dark Pikachu”. Or Dark Samus is a Samus Mimick.
y e s .

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Aren't virtual pets more like a toy? I don't even think many people know about Agumamon, he doesnt seem to be that popular. You may want to lower your hopes.
Well, didn't a Tomogachi become playable in the Mario Kart Arcade game?

Pacman High Tier

Smash Cadet
NNID
judetheloon
Switch FC
SW-4116-2252-3537

I don't watch dragon ball but i'd like Zen-o more than Goku because he's cute.

Graizen

Smash Champion
--------------

The Digital Monster is a digital pet released in June 26 - 1997 by Bandai. This pet was a masculine counterpart to the Tamagotchi, which, despite having fans of both genders, was deemed more appropriate for girls. It spawned the Digimon franchise. It was similar to earlier virtual pets with the distinctions of being a fighting pet that could connect with others like it.

The original Digital Monster model that released in 1997 sold 14 million units worldwide, including 13 million in Japan and 1 million overseas, up until March 2004. By 2005, more than 24 million Digital Monster units were sold.

cqv975gotx7z.jpg

--------------

C'mon Digimon: The capering monster BUN is a one-shot manga that was first published in the '97 SUMMER issue of Akamaru Jump, which was released on September 28, 1997, along with other manga pliots, most notably Naruto.

CD_04_01.jpg

--------------

Digital Monster Ver. S: Digimon Tamers is a vídeo game for Sega Saturn lauched in September 23, 1998.

Digital_Monster_Ver._S_Capa.jpg

--------------

Digimon Adventure V-Tamer 01 is a manga. Launched November 21, 1998.

Book_digimonadventurevtamer01_01.jpg

--------------

Digimon World is a video game by Bandai on the PlayStation, released in January 28 - 1999, about the Digimon virtual pets. It was followed by various sequels released for the PlayStation and other platforms.

Digimonworld.jpg

--------------

Digimon Adventure the Anime launched March 7, 1999.

dejimon_adobencha_ova_digimon_adventure_ova-214100335-mmed.jpg

--------------

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
Aren't virtual pets more like a toy? I don't even think many people know about Agumamon, he doesnt seem to be that popular. You may want to lower your hopes.
Virtual pets are a toy, yes, but Rob himself was also created and advertised as a toy.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Wait! If we're talking about Goku...Why did you forget Naruto? Luffy? Ichigo? They, along with Goku, would make for the best reps for the Anime universe in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom