• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I mean here’s how I know the new direct date will come

1 Sakurai said he wants to avoid leaks as much as possible

2 they probably have to beat the famistu article since they talk about everything in the direct

So if they still don’t respond by Wednesday Sakurai will come to desperate measures by doing a Lucina and Robin esc reveal for whatever trailer(s) is in the direct

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
I'm kind of surprised nobody brings up Dracula when it comes to non-video game characters. Not that I'm saying Dracula being in the game means anything for Goku or anyone else (because I think it means absolutely nothing tbh) I just think it's interesting nobody tries to use it as ammunition in pro goku arguments.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Virtual pets are arguably just as a video game as Visual Novels are. They still are, but it's kinda weird.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If Game & Watch systems count as video games, then virtual pet toys absolutely do. Video games, at the end of the day, are just toys anyway.
The sound of "narrative experience" developer screeching is heard in the far distance.

Last edited:

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
God I ****ing hate any discussion centered around Goku or any other non-game character in Smash.

Not because I hate the character. Not because I think it's a stupid choice. Not because I think his inclusion will "open the floodgates" or whatever reason you can think of.

It's the superiority and smugness people develop over telling other people their favorite character won't get in and that they're an idiot for even believing it even slightly. Let me say, if you do this, you're being an ******* for no reason at all. You're not going to suddenly convince them that their character is impossible, so why bother with the rudeness?

Who cares if they think Goku has a decent chance? The discussion has gone on for literal years at this point and always devolves into namecalling, never goes into anything productive. It's not worth having.
Thank you Komaeda. For once, you stopped the fight in the debate rather than fueling it.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm kind of surprised nobody brings up Dracula when it comes to non-video game characters. Not that I'm saying Dracula being in the game means anything for Goku or anyone else (because I think it means absolutely nothing tbh) I just think it's interesting nobody tries to use it as ammunition in pro goku arguments.
Because Dracula is free-use and the version in Smash is clearly the Castlevania SotN version.

It's like trying to use Kid Icarus's Greek mythology as ammunition.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Maybe because this Dracula isn't exactly the exact same as in the stories. I could be wrong, so someone correct me if so.

Edit: What Idon Idon said.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Y'all talking about Goku when the TRUE best Smash newcomer is being slept on:

A FUSION OF GOOEY AND DEDEDE:

GOOGOOGOO, THE SUPREME KIRBY NEWCOMER.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
On and for the record funimatiom wrote to Nintendo asking for Goku to be included in smash much like Kojima did for snake.
You really think Sakurai is going to listen to a distribution company?

Haven't you thought about the consequences of goku in Smash?
- Where are you going to put him in the all-stars mode section? Surely not his first manga appearance?
- Every language available in smash would have to bring their voice actors out of hiding to do the dubs.
- Every character in Smash ultimate is treated as part of the smash family. Goku is going to stick out like a sore thumb.
- If we were to get a second ballot in the future... could you imagine what floodgates there'd be? People would be begging for Superman to appear just to fight Goku!

Probably a lot more even.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
and Namco only owns the gaming rights to DBZ
They own all exclusive platform rights to DBZ as they're smash developers they could add him in smash.

They published a fighting game with Goku in it as a playable fighter recently and they didn't develop the game.

100 percent legally they have the right to include Goku in smash ultimate.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Seriously, you can't deny his popularity. Doesn't confirm he will be a fighter, but still...
I do kind of wonder about this actually, is Agumon known outside of the generation that grew up when Digimon was booming? Of course for us he was huge, when you can legitimately rival Pikachu that's saying something, but Digimon's fall is impossible to deny, and although it's doing slightly better now than it's done in a long time it's still very far away from the mainstream, and hasn't really been there since Tamers.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

Yes sir, this post right here.

StormC

Smash Hero
There just be a barrage of annoying pictures and memes whenever Goku from Dragonball in considered for smash.

Also why not Monkey D. Luffy?
Luffy (and One Piece in general) has a fraction of the popularity of Goku worldwide.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

how do i delet somebody else's post and the source of the post that came with it

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Goku would not make Ultimate the Ultimate Crossover Game. No, to do that you'd have to have a Microsoft character like Master Chief or Banjo, a Sony character like Kratos, and THEN a worldwide well known film character like Mickey Mouse or Spider-Man. People talk like Goku is the most important non video game character that's ever existed and yet you could go around the world and find out that there are plenty of characters more popular than he that would fit better in Smash and I think Sakurai realizes that if he one day, somehow, came around to the ide of a non vg character in Smash. No, I don't think Goku will ever happen.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The big thing there is that Dracula is public domain, so anyone is legally allowed to use their specific version of Dracula. Palutena is literally just a naming corruption of Pallas Athena, Medusa is Medusa, and Sakurai could freely add Henry Fleming if he was nice and remembered Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. existed, because all of them are public domain while Goku isn't.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Luffy (and One Piece in general) has a fraction of the popularity of Goku worldwide.
True but its just as ridiculous. Its a shame though cuz One piece has actual writing but ya'know, when you're first you're first.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Sure Goku didn't originate from a video game... But you know who did??!

4ed5d097be633812c084a1f5547f3261.gif

Android 21 Vores the Competition!

Iridium

Smash Hero
I do kind of wonder about this actually, is Agumon known outside of the generation that grew up when Digimon was booming? Of course for us he was huge, when you can legitimately rival Pikachu that's saying something, but Digimon's fall is impossible to deny, and although it's doing slightly better now than it's done in a long time it's still very far away from the mainstream, and hasn't really been there since Tamers.
Oh, I just meant he had really huge popularity at some point, but I do see your point.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Goku would not make Ultimate the Ultimate Crossover Game. No, to do that you'd have to have a Microsoft character like Master Chief or Banjo, a Sony character like Kratos, and THEN a worldwide well known film character like Mickey Mouse or Spider-Man. People talk like Goku is the most important non video game character that's ever existed and yet you could go around the world and find out that there are plenty of characters more popular than he that would fit better in Smash and I think Sakurai realizes that if he one day, somehow, came around to the ide of a non vg character in Smash. No, I don't think Goku will ever happen.
Let me dream, dammit!

WaxPython

Smash Ace
People talk like Goku is the most important non video game character that's ever existed and yet you could go around the world and find out that there are plenty of characters more popular than he that would fit better in Smash
Really? Like who? All I can think off is Superman and I think maybe that would be going a step too far. We need to draw the line somewhere it's just i personally draw it at Goku others probably draw the line somewhere else which is cool too.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I think we all have non-video game characters we love to death.

But just because part of the dragon ball fanbase is more vocal about their wants doesn't mean they have the privilege to get listened to.

Smash should just stick to it's roots as a videogame cross-over.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I think we all have non-video game characters we love to death.

But just because part of the dragon ball fanbase is more vocal about their wants doesn't mean they have the privilege to get listened to.

Smash should just stick to it's roots as a videogame cross-over.
Imagine Heihachi and Agumon trailer:

>Heihachi thinks Agumon is Gon.
>They start a fight becouse of it.
>Internet explodes.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Really? Like who? All I can think off is Superman and I think maybe that would be going a step too far. We need to draw the line somewhere it's just i personally draw it at Goku others probably draw the line somewhere else which is cool too.
Spongebob, Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, Darth Vader. All four of these are without a doubt more popular in America at least.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom