• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it was a pretty fun game. I had a GBA with Yoshi's Island and Mario Bros. 2on it, and my sister had a DS with this and Metroid Prime Hunters. I played the crap out of all those games.

I need to cop some of the Mega Man Battle Network games soon, but I'm kind of hoping they get their own Legacy Collection like the MMX and Classic Mega Man games did.
Would be great if they'd put some MMX music in Ultimate. I don't know if the original MM and MMX count as different franchise tho.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Do any of you remember Peach having her own game? I like some of the music from it. Kind of wish we got a track or two in the game. I don't any of them made it in yet.

Fury Volcano is a banger.
I remember playing that game and really enjoying it, even though it apparently isn't that great at all. Fury Volcano is definitely a track I remember liked to listen too. It's one of the tracks that got me into listening to more VGM stuff outside of Brawl's OST.

Last edited:

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TailisuTheTen
3DS FC
3566-1548-8575
]
They showed off Spirit Tracks (with TL conducting the train) before Toon Link was confirmed to return back in the Smash 4 days.
Nah, they aren't the same person. The only newcomers that I recall being shown before being revealed were R.O.B and Dark Pit. tbh I think it's better to accept a deconfirmation of non-veterans that are shown first as non-playable in-game than hope and probably be disappointed in the end.

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
My smash timeline:

Super Smash Bros:

owned: yes

Series played before release: :mario64::link64::fox64:

Melee:

Series played before release:
:mariomelee::linkmelee::foxmelee::pikachumelee::yoshimelee::falconmelee::kirbymelee:

Brawl:

:mario2::link2::fox::pikachu2::yoshi2::falcon::kirby2::samus2::snake::marth::olimar::sonic::warioc:

Smash 3DS

:4mario::4link::4fox::4pikachu::4yoshi::4falcon::4kirby::4samus::4marth::4olimar::4sonic::4wario::4pacman::4ryu::4miif::4dk::4cloud::4duckhunt::4megaman:

Smash Ultimate

owned: pre-order

:ultmario::ultlink::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultyoshi::ultfalcon::ultkirby::ultsamus::ultsnake::ultmarth::ultolimar::ultsonic::ultwario::ultpacman::ultryu::ultmiifighters::ultdk::ultcloud::ultduckhunt::ultmegaman::ultshulk::ultinkling:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Inb4 Tails only gets a normal trophy
I mean, the cameo is already confirmed. And I doubt they remove the Mii costume.

(At least they better not, especially if he's not playable. I'd still like my "close enough" time. I started playing the Mii gunner alot more often almost exclusively because of the Tails costume)

Chrono.

This is definitely true but to me it’s a little different because Toon Link was a veteran character. We have never seen a newcomer exist in the game as another element before being revealed as playable. I’m not saying Tails is impossible, but I’m extremely doubtful because of GHZ.
Yeah this is the biggest strike against him.

But to be fair, removing the background element at all in the E3 demo would've raised suspicion and possibly even spoil the surprise, which we know they're very secretive with.
Nah, they aren't the same person.
I mean, they aren't, but this really doesn't mean much since that would mean both Smash Toon Link and Spirit Tracks Toon Link could coexist without Alfonzo replacing one.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Would be great if they'd put some MMX music in Ultimate. I don't know if the original MM and MMX count as different franchise tho.
Megaman and Megaman X are part of the same timeline, but I don't know if they are considered part of the same franchise.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Timeline time!!!

Alright let’s make this the more interesting and instead show you some of the cringey misconceptions I had on the roster, starting with Smash 4 (FYI I was 11 when Smash 4 came out).

1. I thought Shulk was a Fire Emblem character and that he was in “Marth’s Game”.

2. I didn’t even know Ganondorf was a Falcon clone, I was that oblivious.

3. I didn’t even know who Cloud was during his reveal. I went from, **** FF7 GOT A PLAYABLE CHARACTER, to who the hell is this blond swordsman?

EDIT Bonus:
About Shulk, he was the character I have the most misconceptions. A) I thought Shulk’s underwear alt was his DEFAULT alt. And B) I don’t even remember seeing his underwear alt. I thought Shulk wore shorts and was shirtless. I’m not kidding, I don’t know how I messed up my view of him so badly.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Timeline time!!!

Alright let’s make this the more interesting and instead show you some of the cringey misconceptions I had on the roster, starting with Smash 4 (FYI I was 11 when Smash 4 came out).

1. I thought Shulk was a Fire Emblem character and that he was in “Marth’s Game”.

2. I didn’t even know Ganondorf was a Falcon clone, I was that oblivious.

3. I didn’t even know who Cloud was during his reveal. I went from, **** FF7 GOT A PLAYABLE CHARACTER, to who the hell is this blond swordsman?

Bonus: Surprsingly enough I knew who Palutena and ROB were when I watched Smash 4 despite being like 10-11 years old. I even supported Palutena and wanted her in (and I still main her to this day).
I thought Kirby was a Pokemon...

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Okay I'll play this game.

Smash 64: I was 5 when it came out and didn't know what video gaming was. Only experience with the N64 for ~10 years was playing video games at the local McDonalds (Mario Tennis 64 was the first game I played). Got it on Wii VC though.
Characters I would've known: :mario64::dk64::luigi64::yoshi64:

Melee: Got a GameCube when I was 6 but didn't hear about Melee until my then 6 year old brother came back from a friend's house telling us we had to buy the game four years later. We played the crap out of that game but never unlocked Game and Watch...
Characters I knew from games I played: :mariomelee::luigimelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee::yoshimelee::dkmelee:
Characters I heard of: :pikachumelee:
Characters who got me into their games: :pichumelee: (got Pokemon Sapphire) :kirbymelee: (got Kirby Air Ride)

Brawl: Pre-ordered it Day 1 and drove 90 minutes to the nearest Toys R Us. I was 14. Modded the crap out of it and actually bricked it while trying to install P:M.
Characters I knew from games I'd played (in addition to the above): :squirtle::charizard::ivysaur::wario::diddy::metaknight::dedede::lucario::pt::rob:(Mario Kart DS)
Characters I knew from Melee (hadn't played one of their games): :fox::falcon::link2::ganondorf::sheik::zelda::ness2::marth::samus2::popo::gw:
Characters I didn't know: :wolf::snake::sonic::ike::olimar::toonlink::zerosuitsamus::lucas::pit:
Characters that got me interested in their games: :pit:(Uprising) :ike:(Radiant Dawn was my first FE game)

Smash 4: Also pre-ordered it at the ripe age of 20.
Characters I knew: All of them except :4bayonetta::4cloud::4ryu::4megaman:
Excluding those guys, I had now played a game featuring each character except for: :4duckhunt::4littlemac:

Ultimate: Getting a digital copy at age 24 (almost 25 by release date).
Characters I knew: All except:ultrichter:
Excluding them, I've know played a game featuring each character except for: :ultcloud::ultryu::ultsimon::ultsnake:

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I didn't even know Snake, Ice Climbers, Pichu, Wolf, Young Link, and Pokemon Trainer were in previous games before I decided to look up 64, Melee, and Brawl.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Do any of you remember Peach having her own game? I like some of the music from it. Kind of wish we got a track or two in the game. I don't any of them made it in yet.

Fury Volcano is a banger.
How could I forget? My girl DESERVES a sequel.
Now that Melee Peach's Castle is returning, it could do with a few SPP tunes for it and the other Mario stages.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Yeah this is the biggest strike against him.

But to be fair, removing the background element at all in the E3 demo would've raised suspicion and possibly even spoil the surprise, which we know they're very secretive with.
I remember some had a hard time actually finding footage of Tails in GHZ and maybe suspected that Tails was suspiciously missing from the background when the video only showed Knuckles and/or Silver by sheer RNG throughout the match and it took until a random Game Explain uploaded match before a Tails sighting was found.

I do entirely get why the cameo can count as a reason to doubt. And I guess they did suspiciously remove a few alts that became echo fighters later. Still don't think it's a strong enough deconfirm yet. But no big deal on my part if he isn't playable. I'll still have Sonic to play the heck out of after all :drshrug: And then just hop on the Tails for DLC train when that starts regardless or not if Shadow's an echo.

Megaman and Megaman X are part of the same timeline. I don't know if they are part of the same franchise.
I'm just asking myself because they didn't include any MMX music in smash 4.

X and Megaman being different characters in the 'Megamanverse' i can understand that MMX music doesn't fit for the classic Megaman. Now than i think about it, they're more like different series in the same franchise.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Timeline time!!!

I'm stealing this too. Mine are from Melee.

"Zelda is Young Link's mom so if she wins it means Young Link got grounded. Same thing if Link wins because Link is the dad."

"Marth and Roy are both Link's brothers".

"Captain Falcon is Samus in a different suit"

"Jigglypuff is a girl Kirby"

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Smash 4 was my first Smash game and eventually led me to check out the other installments over the past two years. Smash 4 came out the day after my twelfth birthday; said birthday is October 2nd, 2014. So during the hype cycle I was eleven. I really didn't know much of anything about the games many fighters came from aside from the big obvious ones such as Super Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Kirby, Pokémon, ect.. As any eleven year-old would be, I was awful at the game, but eventually took quite a liking to Mr. Game & Watch, constantly using his down-air whenever I was launched upwards... and being promptly eradicated as punishment for such a dumb move. I eventually got the Wii U version sometime in the latter half of 2015, and by then I had gone from awful to just bad, even managing to beat Classic 9.0 on 3DS... with a stupidly overpowered custom fighter, but cut me some slack I was a tween. I had played the Wii U version regularly since then, following along with the following DLC and getting very excited for it just as I did Mewtwo and the next three, until the dust settled around halfway through 2016. And now here we are again, with another big hype cycle, except now I've matured at least a little, and have the lenses to see this as the magic it really is. I'm beyond excited, as I've finally become able to really appreciate what we're being given here beyond simply "It's Smash!"

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'm just asking myself because they didn't include any MMX music in smash 4.

X and Megaman being different characters in the 'Megamanverse' i can understand that MMX music doesn't fit for the classic Megaman. Now than i think about it, they're more like different series in the same franchise.
Well, I misspoke then.
They're different series in the same universe, all Mega Man games are part of the same franchise.

Most of the other Mega Man games (Battle Network, .EXE, etc) aren't part of the MM/MMX universe, they're still part of the franchise, though.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Here’s my child misconceptions from Brawl.

1. Falco was the guy with the Falcon Punch (which I called Falco Punch), and when I got him in Subspace and didnt find the move, I thought it was his final smash

2. Dedede was a Mario villain

3. I somehow knew who Snake was and thought it’d be cool if he was in Smash before I got Brawl before knowing he was.

4. I thought Ness and Lucas were yelling “He gave mother” and “He gave fire” instead of “PK Thunder” and “PK Fire”

5. I didn’t know about Melee and 64 so I thought this was the only Smash Bros. game

That’s all I can remember for now

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

They probably don't. It's all still Mega Man. Central Highway was confirmed during the Direct, when they showed the Assist characters.

KMDP

Smash Legend
One of my childhood misconceptions from Melee, which I think a lot of people shared.

Special Moves are inherently better than Normal moves, and you should only use them ever.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't think I had any misconceptions of characters back when I got Melee when I was like 6. All I thought of was "man :roymelee: looks cool".

oh i did think :samusmelee: was a guy and :marthmelee:was a girl but what did you expect?

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
I remember in elementary school this other kid and I would constantly lie about the characters we unlocked in Melee. This was a problem because both of us lied and didn't know the other was lying because neither of us had unlocked all the characters, so we would lie and say we unlocked what the other said because we didn't want to reveal we were lying. I'm sorry, King Boo, but you were built on a web of lies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, I misspoke then.
They're different series in the same universe, all Mega Man games are part of the same franchise.

Most of the other Mega Man games (Battle Network, .EXE, etc) aren't part of the MM/MMX universe, they're still part of the franchise, though.
Most ARE from the same timeline. Battle Network and .EXE are the same series.

MM > MMX > MMZ > MMZX > MML. They are all connected.

MMBN > MMSF. MMSF is like the MMX of Battle Network. With a ton of animal based bosses too.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Most ARE from the same timeline. Battle Network and .EXE are the same series.

MM > MMX > MMZ > MMZX > MML. They are all connected.

MMBN > MMSF
I stand corrected, then.

I thought I read somewhere that Megaman Zero and ZX weren't considered part of the MM/MMX timeline, though they shared concepts.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Actually, Conductor Link is Toon Link. This is part of why he gets removed when Toon Link is on the field. We didn't know Link would cause the Alfonzo situation till a bit later.

Toon Link's official games are Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks. He's an artstyle that uses the WW design as the core model. While Phantom Hourglass isn't in the Trophy, it does mention the other two games. So the whole "because Conductor Link and Toon Link are different people", well... no, no they're not. Toon Link is a composite character/design. He is not a specific actual Link as is. He's a general design used in Smash to represent a set of games. Just like Link does for the adult games. They were never intended to be specific people, but a simple representation of the adult and child variations. Toon Link is only somewhat unique due to him taking over Young Link's role as the Child Link.

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
I'll play this game.

Super Smash Bros 64
Owned it: Yes
Series I'd played: :mario64::dk64::fox64::kirby64::pikachu64:

Super Smash Bros Melee
Series I'd played: :linkmelee::dkmelee::drmario::mariomelee::foxmelee::kirbymelee::pikachumelee:

Super Smash Bros Brawl
Series I'd played::sonic::wario::olimar::pt::dk2::fox::falcon::kirby2::link2::samus2::mario2:

Super Smash Bros 4
Series I'd played: :4falcon::4dk::4drmario::4sheik::4duckhunt::4fox::4kirby::4link::4mario::4megaman::4olimar::4pacman::4pikachu::4ryu::4samus::4sonic::4villager::4wario:

Super Smash Bros: Ultimate
Own it: Definitely will
Series I've played: :ultbayonetta::ultduckhunt::ultfalcon::ultdk::ultdoc::ultfox::ultinkling::ultkirby::ultlink::ultlittlemac::ultmario::ultmarth::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultpikachu::ultryu::ultsonic::ultvillager::ultwario::ultwiifittrainer:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Actually, Conductor Link is Toon Link. This is part of why he gets removed when Toon Link is on the field. We didn't know Link would cause the Alfonzo situation till a bit later.

Toon Link's official games are Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks. He's an artstyle that uses the WW design as the core model. While Phantom Hourglass isn't in the Trophy, it does mention the other two games. So the whole "because Conductor Link and Toon Link are different people", well... no, no they're not. Toon Link is a composite character/design. He is not a specific actual Link as is. He's a general design used in Smash to represent a set of games. Just like Link does for the adult games. They were never intended to be specific people, but a simple representation of the adult and child variations. Toon Link is only somewhat unique due to him taking over Young Link's role as the Child Link.
No?
WW and PH is Toon Link. ST is Toon Link's grandson. Or great grandson maybe, I don't know.

Last edited:

Ivanoski14

Smash Rookie
Why not more types of the miis in the game, like:

1. Mii mage
2. Mii ninja
3. Mii tank
4. Mii robot
5. Mii psychic
6. Mii paladin

it would be very cool

Status