• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
edit: I'm just going to edit this out because Grape Kid being 15 and people being freaked about it must mean the kid was SUPER young and that's just wrong

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So I looked up this grape kid person thing

and he's like 15?

How young was the kid he hit on?

KMDP

Smash Legend
Hmm...

Okay, Horikoshi probably crossed a line or two there. :glare:

I'll still post this anyway... not that I necessarily condone Mineta's behaviour (or, more importantly, Horikoshi's inclusion of it). Having not seen the scene myself, I can't make a proper judgement on it.

At the age of 15, Mineta is still a minor, and at the age of 16, he'd still be a minor in America (but not in England or Japan).

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hmm...

Okay, Horikoshi probably crossed a line or two there. :glare:

I'll still post this anyway... not that I necessarily condone Mineta's behaviour (or, more importantly, Horikoshi's inclusion of it). Having not seen the scene myself, I can't make a proper judgement on it.

At the age of 15, Mineta is also a minor, and at the age of 16, he'd still be a minor in America (but not in England or Japan).
There is still a point where a line is drawn

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Perverted humor is one of the many, many reasons I can't really get into a lot anime. And it's one of the reasons I really couldn't get all that invested in Xenoblade 2's characters. Tora was so close to being a likable character. So, so close...

Ahem, anyway, Smash talk. I hate calling characters bland, especially as a fan of :ultlucina:, but...Rex, Pyra and Mythra were all pretty bland to me. They all felt like characters I've seen before. At least Rex had a decent motivation and Pyra/Mythra had some backstory but overall they all felt like characters I've seen before. That on top of all three of them having ridiculous character designs...yeah I could care less if they made it in as DLC. But I know that they have a lot of fans despite all that, and they have a pretty good chance as DLC as well, so I'm already fully prepared to accept it if those two get in.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Perverted humor is one of the many, many reasons I can't really get into a lot anime. And it's one of the reasons I really couldn't get all that invested in Xenoblade 2's characters. Tora was so close to being a likable character. So, so close...

Ahem, anyway, Smash talk. I hate calling characters bland, especially as a fan of :ultlucina:, but...Rex, Pyra and Mythra were all pretty bland to me. They all felt like characters I've seen before. At least Rex had a decent motivation and Pyra/Mythra had some backstory but overall they all felt like characters I've seen before. That on top of all three of them having ridiculous character designs...yeah I could care less if they made it in as DLC. But I know that they have a lot of fans despite all that, and they have a pretty good chance as DLC as well, so I'm already fully prepared to accept it if those two get in.
I feel the same way, even playing through the entire story.

The worst part is you get Shulk post-game and he immediately blows 80% of the casts voice work out of the water.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ok, let's uh, let's change the topic off of that Manga. Whatever it is it doesn't sound very E for Everyone.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
In the anime, the only good thing I honestly ever saw Mineta do is use his grape balls to a pretty useful degree.

...That's it. Character is honestly pretty awful overall. No real redeeming qualities I've seen so far dub-wise. Sounds like the anime made him less awful, but not much.

Anyway, I can't wait to see what Spirits is.

Noipoi

Howdy!

If any characters are "guaranteed" in Ultimate, it's dlc characters.
I can't imagine we don't get Rex and Pyra, Springman, and maybe a gen 8 Pokemon next year as dlc.
Though that still doesn't mean they're locked in, because no one is.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

The worst part is you get Shulk post-game and he immediately blows 80% of the casts voice work out of the water.
It's weird. Shulk's VA is just super good. One major problem in some Japanese games that are dubbed is the direction is really poor. Voice Actors have come out and said they don't aren't given much direction. If they just simply played the cutscene out in front of them with muted audio that'd help so much. I don't mind the VA's in XC2 but they weren't given proper direction which leads to so many hit or miss scenes. I know for Dragon Ball games they straight up just read a script with no context. I think it's also why the lip sync is so poor.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
There is still a point where a line is drawn
There are only two female children characters listed on the MHA wikia, both of whom are six.

Yeah, that's way, way, way over the line.
They all felt like characters I've seen before.
Maybe you've seen too much stuff and need to take a break from it? Or maybe the writers are just lazy.
In the anime, the only good thing I honestly ever saw Mineta do is use his grape balls to a pretty useful degree.

...That's it. Character is honestly pretty awful overall. No real redeeming qualities I've seen so far dub-wise. Sounds like the anime made him less awful, but not much.

Mineta has a few redeeming qualities, but they're drowned out by his many, many, many, many, many flaws.

Spirits is a mystery box.
Ppringman
Oh boy, Pringles man?

Can't wait to play him in Smash.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

The spirits of all the killed Smash characters come back for VENGEANCE! LUIGI IS THE ANTAGONIST NOW!

Noipoi

Howdy!

I'm not expecting a full blow subspace emissary, but please don't be just a boss rush mode.
All I want is a decent adventure mode, take Melee's adventure mode and turn it up to 11.
I wanna go through famous Nintendo worlds as characters who don't belong there.
I wanna paint pallet town orange as an Inkling, I wanna steal Hyrule's Banana hoard, I want a truly ultimate adventure mode.
That's my true most wanted for this game.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The spirits of all the killed Smash characters come back for VENGEANCE! LUIGI IS THE ANTAGONIST NOW!
Goddamn, Luigi is going hardcore! I mean first he's the villain in Mario Tennis Aces and now he's coming for the rest of the Nintendo Crew. May god have mercy on their SOU- er, SPIRITS!

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
All I want is a decent adventure mode, take Melee's adventure mode and turn it up to 11.
Basically all I'm asking for. I don't need cutscenes. Just give me an adventure mode akin to melee but improved and I'll be happy.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Sakurai said that some of the stages took upwards of a year to make. I wouldn't be surprised if Venom was one of them. Wasn't that stage stupidly long in Melee?

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Basically all I'm asking for. I don't need cutscenes. Just give me an adventure mode akin to melee but improved and I'll be happy.
I want cutscenes, but I want them to be like the Luigi one from Melee.

Basically ~10 second clips of the character doing something to preface the fight.
If the bananas were the focus of the games instead of Zelda, would the series be renamed to reflect that?
THE LEGEND OF BANANAS: MAJORA'S FRUIT.
I was going to make a Triforce of Bananas joke, but apparently there's only two big Banana Companies (Chiquita and Dole). So... *shrug*

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
It's weird. Shulk's VA is just super good. One major problem in some Japanese games that are dubbed is the direction is really poor. Voice Actors have come out and said they don't aren't given much direction. If they just simply played the cutscene out in front of them with muted audio that'd help so much. I don't mind the VA's in XC2 but they weren't given proper direction which leads to so many hit or miss scenes. I know for Dragon Ball games they straight up just read a script with no context. I think it's also why the lip sync is so poor.
It depends on the game, but often-times cutscenes and story undergo multiple changes, so as a result it's more efficient to just arrange to record several lines off-context with just the script so that you have more wiggle room in case bugs or changes happen.
Also considering that the writers for the original dialogue normally work in their native country and won't travel to the country where the dub is being recorded, it's hard to really have anyone available who really knows the story and characters and as such is capable of directing the VAs. The fact that Japanese time zones are so separate from western time zones is a further complication since even if you do things through a web call the times won't match well.

Because of all of this, waiting for the final version of the source video with source audio to be finalized and available is a luxury most studios won't want to take. There's of course other complications like contracts needing to be drafted to account for NDA, and certain studios like to keep confidential content as close to heart as possible since the more audio vendors involved the higher the risk that information gets leaked.

It makes you appreciate great localization even more, because it means someone in the team, whether from the audio side, the editorial side or the QA side, really put in a lot of work to make things sound as great as possible.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
4chan leaks are an absolute waste of time lately, they are not being creative and they are just following patterns of repeating whatever the last one added to their list. Most of them keep making the same mistake of stating their role of job (no idiot does that). Etc etc etc… The only thing that has been interesting was verg and that was ken and the square enix character just recently. Other than that there's no fake leak even worth analyzing imo, they are just the same thing over and over again, leaks pretending to know the full content, when there is no real source in nintendo that can know the full content yet (teams and departments are handled specific parts of info, not full info about everything), so yeah, just fake stuff that makes no sense.
Hi, I’m Jake...from State Farm.
I was taking a vacation from selling debt to cover accidents(whether or not they happen) to visit Japan. I was walking by Nintendo headquarters to get a look see. A man named Shizuma greeted me and offered to show me around after a long, but irrelevant exchange of words about the building. He said he’d be happy to show me around.

On the way, Sakurai was conversing with his coworkers before I realized this isn’t where Sakurai works and he’d obviously be in his office working hard on the game. Not some crap I made up.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I want cutscenes, but I want them to be like the Luigi one from Melee.

Basically ~10 second clips of the character doing something to preface the fight.
I could see this work. I suggested it before as a workaround to not having CGI.

KMDP

Smash Legend
It depends on the game, but often-times cutscenes and story undergo multiple changes, so as a result it's more efficient to just arrange to record several lines off-context with just the script so that you have more wiggle room in case bugs or changes happen.
Also considering that the writers for the original dialogue normally work in their native country and won't travel to the country where the dub is being recorded, it's hard to really have anyone available who really knows the story and characters and as such is capable of directing the VAs. The fact that Japanese time zones are so separate from western time zones is a further complication since even if you do things through a web call the times won't match well.

Because of all of this, waiting for the final version of the source video with source audio to be finalized and available is a luxury most studios won't want to take. There's of course other complications like contracts needing to be drafted to account for NDA, and certain studios like to keep confidential content as close to heart as possible since the more audio vendors involved the higher the risk that information gets leaked.

It makes you appreciate great localization even more, because it means someone in the team, whether from the audio side, the editorial side or the QA side, really put in a lot of work to make things sound as great as possible.
It's funny that in the past, we got localisations way after the initial release, and the dubs were terrible, generally because they hired amateurs (or, like, grabbed someone from the office or something).

Now, we get localisations near to Japanese release... and the dubs are terrible because the actors don't get good direction.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

It’s sad Anime characters all just blend together. There are only a few notable ones around, and you’d have to wade thigh deep in the overexposed meat of peppy, naive schoolgirls, deep, brooding emotions and people who never give up just to find them.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I think "Spirits" is a placeholder (it doesn't make sense as the name of a mode)--while Smash has accidentally leaked stuff in the past, I don't think they would go through all that effort to mask the option without considering using a placeholder title in case someone unmasked it (I would have gone with "Nice Try"). Though, it could still relate to the mode in a vague way...perhaps only in spirit.

My guess/hope would be an Adventure Mode with Subspace Emissary like story/cut-scenes, scaled down. Best of both worlds, which seems to be a common theme in Ultimate. Though, more likely it's a brand new concept, like Smash Run/Tour, that is hit or miss.

EDIT:
Spirits is obviously not the name of the mode.

It's "SPRITE" because the game is sponsored by the cool, crisp and refreshing taste of SPRITE!

(This post is not sponsored by SPRITE...yet)
Well, the mode is green--I think you're on to something.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Spirits is obviously not the name of the mode.

It's "SPRITE" because the game is sponsored by the cool, crisp and refreshing taste of SPRITE!

(This post is not sponsored by SPRITE...yet)

KMDP

Smash Legend
It’s sad Anime characters all just blend together. There are only a few notable ones around, and you’d have to wade thigh deep in the overexposed meat of peppy, naive schoolgirls, deep, brooding emotions and people who never give up just to find them.
To be honest, we've always had generic anime stuff in Video Games
Example
Symphony of the Night
Translated​
:ultrichter: "Your words are as empty as your soul. Mankind ill needs a savior such as you."​
Original​
:ultrichter: "Power alone cannot lead people. Respect and a loving heart are what truly lead humanity."​
Seriously, the original line sounds like super generic Anime stuff. :laugh: It's the kind of line you hear even today.

What's changed is the localisers willingness to take liberties with the translation.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I think the only thing that could prevent Geno's inclusion is Square being subborn. It's clear Sakurai is going for gold this time, so I'd say Geno is definitely there unless Square won't co-operate, which is sadly rather likely.​

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Why do people keep believing vergeban again
I personally don't totally buy into it, but he's definitely the most trustworthy of the bunch, having successfully leaked the Ultimate subtitle, Ridley's inclusion, as well as the return of Snake and the Ice Climbers. He has a very, very good track record thus far regarding Smash. Seriously, you don't just guess that and get every point right by sheer luck.​

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
I'm holding out for the day I log onto the Smash website, go to music, and see 'Enjoy Your Stay'.

The hotel theme was the first song I heard from EarthBound and it's still one of my most memorable, I neeeeeed it over Fourside

joshoctober16

Smash Apprentice
I mean it's probably just wishful thinking, but I'm just saying...in light of the Square Enix info, this 4chan leak still hasn't been outright disconfirmed. View attachment 159365
Of note:
- States Geno is playable, and now Verg is saying there's a Square Enix newcomer
- Stated Isabelle was playable almost a week before Verg came out with that info publicly
- Had Simon
- Knew of an August Direct that would reveal a character from the list (though it said mid instead of early)
- Knew Ashley was an Assist

It's still kinda sketchy but I mean it has Celica on it, so... :pI just want to believe.
now this is a good leak if it wasn't edited after that date that is.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

So..what you're saying is we need Nia & Zeke in Smash? I agree! You're a genius!

Seriously though, Nia, Zeke, Poppy, and Malos are the best characters in Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
Ok, let's uh, let's change the topic off of that Manga. Whatever it is it doesn't sound very E for Everyone.
Funnilly enough, the manga in question is a Shonen Jump one, meaning meant for grade school aged boys..at least in Japan.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Everytime you win a match with Richter, you have to say "Die Monster! You don't belong in this world!". It is fated to be that way. :ultrichter:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
To be honest, we've always had generic anime stuff in Video Games
Example
Symphony of the Night
Translated​
:ultrichter: "Your words are as empty as your soul. Mankind ill needs a savior such as you."​
Original​
:ultrichter: "Power alone cannot lead people. Respect and a loving heart are what truly lead humanity."​
Seriously, the original line sounds like super generic Anime stuff. :laugh: It's the kind of line you hear even today.

What's changed is the localisers willingness to take liberties with the translation.
Speaking of translations, I love how in further releases of SotN, the localization changed a bunch of the lines.

"What is a man" is a pretty iconic line, but I think the translation from future versions of SotN goes even harder.

"Mankind. Ha! A cesspit of hatred and lies. Fight for them, then, and die for their sins!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom