• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
You what else is cool? Alucard's voice actor in SotN was the announcer for Tekken 2, Tekken 3, and Tekken Tag 1 If I'm not mistaken. He also was the story mode narrator for Tekken 5.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
so the leak has geno playable AND a SE rep thats not geno? that seems believable to me more than geno repping SE he's not fit to do that.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
so the leak has geno playable AND a SE rep thats not geno? that seems believable to me more than geno repping SE he's not fit to do that.
Geno doesn't need to "rep" Square when Cloud's already in the game

StormC

Smash Hero
So...

Some Shantae fans are whipping themselves up in a fury over what they feel is evidence of Shantae's inclusion.

Does anybody here - at least, people who aren't Shantae fans - think Shantae has a decent chance of being in? Because I personally don't, but I'm reading a lot of "XYZ adds up, it can only mean Shantae is in," but I feel like people might be setting themselves up for disappointment. Maybe I'm overstepping as a K. Rool fan, but even he had a lot of people who aren't fans think he had a decent chance and evidence was leaning in his favor for this game.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
So...

Some Shantae fans are whipping themselves up in a fury over what they feel is evidence of Shantae's inclusion.

Does anybody here - at least, people who aren't Shantae fans - think Shantae has a decent chance of being in? Because I personally don't, but I'm reading a lot of "XYZ adds up, it can only mean Shantae is in," but I feel like people might be setting themselves up for disappointment. Maybe I'm overstepping as a K. Rool fan, but even he had a lot of people who aren't fans think he had a decent chance and evidence was leaning in his favor for this game.
No lol.
I'm biased because I also personally hope she isn't, though.
There's no real evidence.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
As a Shantae fan I feel we'll only get what Shovel Knight did minimum and maybe not even that.

But the mild hope is there.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So...

I've gone through multiple threads and EVERYONE is doing this.

That's why I'm not going to ever say "My character is IN!". Because that's what EVERYONE thinks.

Edit: Hope for the Best, expect the worst.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Yeah even with Shadow who is looking fairly likely. I'm not gonna 100% say he's in the game because like... Sakurai has his own agenda and stuff that could just work out better in his mind.

StormC

Smash Hero
Famous last words: "[X character] is a lock."

It's pretty rare I go higher than 70-80% on a character's chances. Like before the announcement I would have said 90% on Inkling, but that's it.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

It's pretty rare I go higher than 70-80% on a character's chances. Like before the announcement I would have said 90% on Inkling, but that's it.
Plus as your avatar even is proof of, this Smash has been breaking old barriers and making the crazy possible. I don't think anyone could have predicted any of this going in.

KMDP

Smash Legend

I'm about 70% on Isaac's chances, mostly because we can't be absolutely 100% certain if that tweet meant anything (it's... something, Sakurai is very careful about what he tweets)

The only character who was a lock was, as you say, the Inklings, and they were the first characters revealed for this game, even before Mario and Link, so...

StormC

Smash Hero
Plus as your avatar even is proof of, this Smash has been breaking old barriers and making the crazy possible. I don't think anyone could have predicted any of this going in.
I agree, though to be fair, I've been pretty bullish on K. Rool's chances since the ballot, and everything we saw with Ultimate only strengthened this.

Personally, I consider :ultridley: a bigger shock... well, seeing K. Rool in action was still more surreal, somehow, since the Project M mod sorta put it in my mind how Ridley might look in Smash. Seeing a fully functional K. Rool in Smash, a real one, was a pretty big shock to the system while fighting back tears.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I agree, though to be fair, I've been pretty bullish on K. Rool's chances since the ballot, and everything we saw with Ultimate only strengthened this.

Personally, I consider :ultridley: a bigger shock... well, seeing K. Rool in action was still more surreal, somehow, since the Project M mod sorta put it in my mind how Ridley might look in Smash. Seeing a fully functional K. Rool in Smash, a real one, was a pretty big shock to the system while fighting back tears.
K. Rool looks so awesome too, I'm not the biggest DKC fan i'll admit I've played the first 3 games and enjoyed them. Not to the extent a lot of others did but I find them enjoyable romps.

The love and care Sakurai put into K.Rool after all this time is just beautiful though. Heck I might even play the big guy every now and again.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
So...

Nope. Shovel Knight himself being an Assist Trophy was an absolute honor by his team, it doesn’t suddenly make Shantae a shoe in. Heck it even decreases her chances a bit.

I know it’s a bit unfair to not base Shantae’s chances on her merits but we have to remember that these are Indie characters we’re talking about, not mainstream 3rd Parties.

Getting even a sticker, song, or trophy in would be a miracle for any independent team that wanted their creation represented in Smash somehow, tell it to Rayman who was an AAA character.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Speaking of Inklings being first, it's actually a pretty funny thing to think about.

It's almost like Sakurai saying: "Alright, Inklings are gonna be in Smash, you know it, I know it; let's move on to the actual surprises."
I'm 2-3% sure on Boshi :yoshi:
But that means you're 98% sure about Boshi not being in.

Also, question for Zinith. How many fingers does Yoshi have?

This isn't a random trivia question, this is an actual question.

StormC

Smash Hero
K. Rool looks so awesome too, I'm not the biggest DKC fan i'll admit I've played the first 3 games and enjoyed them. Not to the extent a lot of others did but I find them enjoyable romps.

The love and care Sakurai put into K.Rool after all this time is just beautiful though. Heck I might even play the big guy every now and again.
Imagine how it felt seeing this after fighting for him for the last decade, while he was being erased from his own series.

Sakurai saved the character from oblivion, man, while doing a perfect job with his portrayal. It's mind boggling.

But anyway. Yeah, I don't think Shantae is happening, personally. Sakurai always emphasizes the legacy and importance of third party IPs, and despite Shantae being around for the better part of two decades, is still not really a gaming icon. If Bomberman couldn't cut it... I don't think she'll make it.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Speaking of Inklings being first, it's actually a pretty funny thing to think about.

It's almost like Sakurai saying: "Alright, Inklings are gonna be in Smash, you know it, I know it; let's move on to the actual surprises."

But that means you're 98% sure about Boshi not being in.

Also, question for Zinith. How many fingers does Yoshi have?

This isn't a random trivia question, this is an actual question.
Not including sprites and only looking at official art, I've only been able to find him with 4 fingers on each hand...

So, yeah...

KMDP

Smash Legend
Not including sprites and only looking at official art, I've only been able to find him with 4 fingers on each hand...

So, yeah...
So... four fingers as in "Western Cartoon style"?

Gotcha.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Imagine how it felt seeing this after fighting for him for the last decade, while he was being erased from his own series.

Sakurai saved the character from oblivion, man, while doing a perfect job with his portrayal. It's mind boggling.

But anyway. Yeah, I don't think Shantae is happening, personally. Sakurai always emphasizes the legacy and importance of third party IPs, and despite Shantae being around for the better part of two decades, is still not really a gaming icon. If Bomberman couldn't cut it... I don't think she'll make it.
I kind of imagine the joy you had for K.Rool being similar to my childhood dream of Sonic & Mario in the same game back in Brawl, but even a bit more happiness perhaps. I'm happy for all of you, and the Ridley boys and girls too.

Yeah I don't see Shantae happening either as much as I love her and her games.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think I was a little more excited for K Rool than Ridley simply because I was a much bigger DKC fan than Metroid.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Fun fact, so I’ve been re-watching the Smash 4 and Ultimate newcomer trailers and it’s been apparent that there’s a pattern going I’ve noticed for a long while now.

-The first three types of newcomers are shown during the reveal.

-New franchise character doesn’t get a proper solo trailer and is instead shared with the reveal/E3 trailer. :ultvillager::ultinkling:

-Popularity requested character is shown at the end to build hype.:ultmegaman::ultridley:

-Character no one expected is also shown and the feedback is either postive or negative.:ultwiifittrainer::ultdaisy:

Do you want to see this pattern again if a Smash 6 hits or do you hope for Brawl style reveals again?

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Personally, I definitely think we are getting at least one of Isaac, Banjo-Kazooie, Bandana Dee, and Geno. They are sorta the last heavyweights left on the ballot. I wouldn't go above 50-60% on any individually, but I would be absolutely shocked if all of them miss out.

I'd go maybe 70% on a Shadow echo. Just too many unknown factors to say for sure what's gonna happen.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
While unfortunately not Protoman or Bass, Roll has a bit of a chance to be Mega Man's Echo, given Marvel 1 and 2.

Still holding out that 4% chance Protoman can be playable, with Mega Man and Protoman showing up in each other's FS.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Anyway, I can't wait to see what Spirits is.
That’s the Spirit!
So..what you're saying is we need Nia & Zeke in Smash? I agree! You're a genius!

Seriously though, Nia, Zeke, Poppy, and Malos are the best characters in Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Funnilly enough, the manga in question is a Shonen Jump one, meaning meant for grade school aged boys..at least in Japan.
I loved how Malos would sometimes just immediately go from talking regularly to just straight up SCREAMING out of nowhere.

“You... And that sword... CAN’T BE!”

Malos’ screaming voice is just hilarious.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
So...

Really? What happened? Or are you referring to the arguments pages back..because that was mostly started by an inflammatory remark.

Regardless, Shantae fan here. I don't think she's likely at all. I do think she had a better shot then Shovel Knight, but I didn't think either would show up in Smash at all..and I think Shovel Knight is only because of the Ballot and Nintendo publishing the game in Japan, like why Rayman and Comm. Video had trophies last game.

Honestly, I think Castlevania was our last new IP until DLC comes around.
That’s the Spirit!

I loved how Malos would sometimes just immediately go from talking regularly to just straight up SCREAMING out of nowhere.

“You... And that sword... CAN’T BE!”

Malos’ screaming voice is just hilarious.
I agree.
Nia being snarky is one of my favs though, along with her insults and threats to Zeke..I honestly believe she had the best acting in the game..aside from Zeke's over the top on purpose style.

Last edited:
While unfortunately not Protoman or Bass, Roll has a bit of a chance to be Mega Man's Echo, given Marvel 1 and 2.

Still holding out that 4% chance Protoman can be playable, with Mega Man and Protoman showing up in each other's FS.
You could get those chances a boost up to between 5 and 10% if he shows up in Megaman 11 (releasing on October 2nd)!

Edit: i mean... marketing 101

Last edited:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
So...

For me, no, I like Shantae but being playable seems too high for her. She did well in the ballot for sure, Wayforward promoted her a lot and with Pirate's Curse she had a sweetspot that time. At ,least I spect her as AT.
In fact I don't want her playable for Wayforward crappy 1/2 Genie translations, wich promised to fix but didn't. They should have fixed that instead of promoting Shantae for Smash, they don't deserve it.
If Shovel Knight is not, Shantae neither. It will seem no fair for me.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Really? What happened? Or are you referring to the arguments pages back..because that was mostly started by an inflammatory remark.
Just the general debate of whether or not WayForward is under NDA. And then uh, this thing on Tumblr:

I've seen Shantae fans go into threads for other characters to argue in favor of Shantae's chances, and I thought I might be the crazy one.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Just the general debate of whether or not WayForward is under NDA. And then uh, this thing on Tumblr:

I've seen Shantae fans go into threads for other characters to argue in favor of Shantae's chances, and I thought I might be the crazy one.
Shantae confirmed main character of Smash Ultimate?

She's the host, right?

Nap_

Smash Journeyman

Plus, they promoted that expansion with something similar to 'new challenger approaching'.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Plus, they promoted that expansion with something similar to 'new challenger approaching'.
FNAF ULTIMATE Custom Night

Also has the message "A new challenger approaches" in it

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I remember people saying Subspace style cutscenes were unlikely because the game's file size is nearly the same as Smash 4, but with Sakurai mentioning the huge leap in compression technology in his recent Famitsu article where he said, I think, the songs in this game take up a quarter of the space compared to Smash 4, I'm really starting to think we're going to have fleshed out cutscenes again. Either that or the roster is actually bigger than we thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom